Round 25 Observations

First, let me remind everyone that I am distinctly of the opinion that this is not the last round. I don't think it's appropriate to list my reasons for suspecting this, but I feel that it is very likely that there will be a round after this and considering this it would be useful to make observations regarding the round format and the nature of the round.

The first observation I'll make is that flag running is what ruins TE. I told Clash this in Round 13, when Clash let Methax go, letting him pull off a victorious back collect, but flag running is fundamentally destructive to TE.

The reasons are as follows: first, flag runners are here for an objective, not for the fun of the game, and a dedicated flag running organization is much less likely to be persistent. For instance, did the Kronos people stay after they bagged their flag? How about the Gre people? MK-Umb only flag ran when they could win, then joined other alliances when the objective was gone.

And for the alliance itself, and the tactics flag running organizations require (roguery, war dodging, political isolationism, curbstomps), these are not sustainable to the members. People need to be dragooned in to work, and many of them leave, instead of persisting for round after round, simply because flag running and flag running tactics are not fun; it's work.

Second, this round has been a bit cruel in nature. There have been many irregular wars and attempts at abnormal gameplay modes, yet virtually no alliances have stepped up to intervene. Consider the stomp on OP at the start of the round, the preemptive and repeated attacks on Citadel, certain alliances' constant choice of easy wars, and the fact that no one has opted to intervene over any of these. Since the difficulty of flag running has been significantly reduced, more alliances are now oriented towards flag running, and the costs of a "friendly intervention" as opposed to just sitting around and hoping someone else will deal with the problem mean that weird wars and odd wars will not see their white knights.

===

And as to a point for this post, let me say that there is no point and that's it for now. Just a few observations, which can be disputed, to be followed with others with no conclusion.

First, let me remind everyone that I am distinctly of the opinion that this is not the last round. I don't think it's appropriate to list my reasons for suspecting this, but I feel that it is very likely that there will be a round after this and considering this it would be useful to make observations regarding the round format and the nature of the round.

The first observation I'll make is that flag running is what ruins TE. I told Clash this in Round 13, when Clash let Methax go, letting him pull off a victorious back collect, but flag running is fundamentally destructive to TE.

The reasons are as follows: first, flag runners are here for an objective, not for the fun of the game, and a dedicated flag running organization is much less likely to be persistent. For instance, did the Kronos people stay after they bagged their flag? How about the Gre people? MK-Umb only flag ran when they could win, then joined other alliances when the objective was gone.

And for the alliance itself, and the tactics flag running organizations require (roguery, war dodging, political isolationism, curbstomps), these are not sustainable to the members. People need to be dragooned in to work, and many of them leave, instead of persisting for round after round, simply because flag running and flag running tactics are not fun; it's work.

Second, this round has been a bit cruel in nature. There have been many irregular wars and attempts at abnormal gameplay modes, yet virtually no alliances have stepped up to intervene. Consider the stomp on OP at the start of the round, the preemptive and repeated attacks on Citadel, certain alliances' constant choice of easy wars, and the fact that no one has opted to intervene over any of these. Since the difficulty of flag running has been significantly reduced, more alliances are now oriented towards flag running, and the costs of a "friendly intervention" as opposed to just sitting around and hoping someone else will deal with the problem mean that weird wars and odd wars will not see their white knights.

===

And as to a point for this post, let me say that there is no point and that's it for now. Just a few observations, which can be disputed, to be followed with others with no conclusion.

I also don't think that this is the end of TE. There are too many dedicated players that want to make the game better. 

I always felt that flag running was a cancer to TE. All the things you said are true regarding the tactics used to acquire the flag, and I think there should be a fundamental change in how we determine who is a "winner". TE is a game dominated by alliances and that should be reflected in determining a winner at the end of rounds.

I don't think the elimination of flag running will completely root out some of the things that hurt the game however. The last few rounds imho has featured a consistent breakdown in the rules of war and all the major alliances bear some responsibility in this. If there were an alliance winner at the end of each round, I could see TE seeing an increase in activity, quality of members, and perhaps alliances would have incentive to both avoid and actively prevent some of the things you speak of. 

Flag running is boring.  I believe removing that carrot or change the formula to what is considered a "win" could help TE.

Perhaps a suggestion that isn't completely relevant to this thread if I may.  Maybe we could play a game of hide and seek for a round.  We would have known AA leaders so they can post DoWs and negotiate peace but we should allow the newest ones to be leaders while the rest of us roll in using alias and join whatever AA we feel like and preferrably not the ones you usually join.  Entire groups can move as they please but the AA leaders cannot know what they have accepted.  As the round goes, each player can make them selves known as they wish.  Could be fun.

I've never been a flag runner because I too think it's boring.  But let's be honest here.  The only rewarded measure of success in the game right now is based off who has the strongest nation at the end of the round.  Therefore people will pursue the flag, like they should.  Also, there isn't any kind of data that backs the idea of flag-running being "what ruins TE."  It could be part of the issue, but we all have our gripes about things that are destructive to the game as a whole.

Also...

^^^^^What the heck does this mean?? :p

I hope TE doesn't close down as I was planning to use it as a 'Bootcamp' for Recruits to help train them in War. As for flags, well I'm a (failed) flag runner and I was attracted to TE for the Flag (and also the cool shizzle wizzle in the store), but it has grown on me and TE is now a really awesome place where at the end of the day, we can all still laugh and aim to get the most casualties or get nuked the most.

The problem with casualties race, while it's great for adding a strategic element, is that at any point, somebody you hit, could decide to drop and go inactive, or just not fight back whatsoever, which can really jack up somebody's strategy.  This would almost certainly make wars a larger element to the game though, and more even wars, so there's some value to that.

rewards for top 3 casualties instead imo

Casualties can be farmed as easily as (even easier than?) NS, so not sure how much that would accomplish.

Edited by Forward

I don't really know how you'd make a fair way to get a flag that wouldn't be abused. 

Casualties wouldn't be consistent because wars vary widely in casualties depending on how and when nukes and aircraft are used, if anyone turtles, etc.

Inst is completely right about the current system.  It encourages people to just stockpile money by avoiding wars, and then find a way to slot fill at the end.