Land of the Scots, land of the Free: News and Actions

lordliam

"To ensure our continued prosperity and safety, it shall follow hence that this nation shall be independent and shall be known as..."
"No no no, that's not right at all."
"What do you mean 'That's not right?' I spent an entire night on this-"
"It's terrible."
"Goddamn. I fear for the future of our young nation if this is what the self-styled Senate has to-"
"No, I agree with Donathan. The man is the best writer out of all of us, and he did work quite hard last ni-"
"I just don't think that the language is appropriate, it sounds as if we all hail from Victorian times."
"Well in a sense this land hasn't really changed much since the-"
"NO INTERRUPTIONS. Donathan Sinclair, you may continue reading your resolution. In fact, please start from the beginning."
"Thank you Mr. Moderator. AHEM...[quote]For long the Scots have been a brave people, one that would go to great lengths to preserve their fierce, independent spirit. Today, the leaders of our Nation have again gathered to ask our Protectors for the freedom that our forefathers have long enjoyed. We ask that we be allowed to bestow upon ourselves a responsible government, our own laws and our own course in this world. To ensure our continued prosperity and safety, it shall follow hence that this nation shall be independent and shall be known as the Republic of Scotia.[/quote]"

"That's it? That's kinda short."
"Don't lie, Donathan I bet you didn't even give a rat's ass about th-"
"QUIEEET."
"Thank you Mr. Moderator. Well, I suppose you have some thing better to present, then?"
"..."
"Then, it's settled. This shall be the statement that is read to the world that announces our existence. The Senate hereby concludes such."

Edited by lordliam

"Should Großdeutschland decide to grant this country its recognition, the Free Republic of Ontario sees no reason to withhold recognition of a free Scottish nationstate. May the Scots thrive and prosper under indigenous rule."
-[i]Ephraim Halliwell[/i]
[b]Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Free Republic of Ontario[/b]

The Office of the Senate wishes well to all nations who have congratulated the Republic of Scotia on her recent independence. An election commission has been created and soon enough a true representative Senate will be chosen to run the nation, as well as a President elected by the senate and a Charter agreed upon by the people.

The results of the first Senate election are in. Out of the 525 seats determined by the Scotian Election Commission, 291 have been filled by the centrist Scottish National Party. The centre-left Liberal Party of Scotia will form the official opposition with 204 seats. 20 seats were awarded to the right-wing Thistle Union. 10 seats were captured by independent candidates. Donathan Sinclair, the leader of the Scottish National Party, has been endorsed by the majority of the Senate and has become President of the Republic of Scotia. Many celebrations were held today all over Scotia, and in particular, Edinburgh was covered blue and white as the citizens rejoiced at their first responsible government.

The first bill passed in the Senate today was a national Charter of Rights and Responsibilities, laying down the framework for constitutional law, setting boundaries on where the government can and can not go and enshrining basic human rights.

The second bill passed was for the creation of a military, with compulsory service of 2 years starting from the age of 18 for both males and females who are physically capable and on a volunteer basis afterwards. The bill also included large parts dedicated to founding other basic national institutions like Scotia Bank, the national bank and Scotia Oil, a mostly private organization with a significant government stake, to develop North Sea oil.

The Senate has recently passed a bill allowing Scotia Oil the exclusive right to develop Scotia's offshore oil. The value of the company has gone up and with a combination of borrowed money, personal fortunes and a national lottery, plans to construct Scotia Oil Rig One have been finalized. Engineers and roughnecks are clamouring for a chance to leave the mainland and get good paying work.

[quote]Private, Hand Delivered
To: Government of Scotia
Re: Territorial Interests and Trade

Esteemed Sirs,

Allow me to congratulate your government on wrestling the reins of destiny into your own hands by creating a proud Scottish nation. No nation can exist in a vacuum and to this end I would like to visit Scotia for the purposes of opening a useful dialogue regarding regional interests.

-Prime Minister George Best[/quote]

Hand delivered to the office of Prime Minister Best:

[quote]Peace be with you George Best!

I see that you have addressed the entirety of the Senate, but I have found it necessary to reply personally. It is with great enthusiasm that I shall personally invite you to Edinburgh to discuss trade relations. As nations on the British Isles we have many reasons to be close to each other and I hope that the Scots and the Irish will be able to get along in this world.

Regards, Donathan Sinclair.[/quote]

[quote name='lordliam' timestamp='1350451777' post='3042109']
Hand delivered to the office of Prime Minister Best:
[/quote]

With the invitation extended for the visiting of Scotland, the Prime Minister quietly departs Dublin on a small Irish Air Force transport with his diplomatic team in tow. The team consists of several high ranking members of government, a prominent economist, and Sir John Hawkwood the Defense Minister. Once in the air the men and women make themselves as comfortable as they possibly can on a C-130's hard benches and quietly brief each on the roles they are expected to play. Information packets are distributed as well to bring everyone up to speed on the current news of Scotia, the Albionians, and the world at large and the predictions made for the direction of various states in the region.

The Pilot, being a polite chap, radios ahead requesting clearance to enter Scotia's airspace and to land at a designated field of the Scottish Government's choice.

The Ministry of Energy and Scotia Oil have announced the successful completion of the first phase of Scotia Oil Rig One. Production is slated to begin after safety inspections have been conducted and a few extra crew members have been transported to the rig.

• 4 weeks later...

Production at Scotia Oil Rig One has begun and the second stage of construction is about to begin. The new expansion would include expanded living quarters, a shop and a large greenhouse filled with water-based plants as an on-rig food source to reduce dependence on shipping from the Scotian mainland. When questioned about the feasibility of the greenhouse, the Minister of Energy waved his hand and said that with there would be in fact enough space on the rig to apparently recycle the fecal material of rig members and turn it into a nutrient broth solution. Reporters seemed squeamish and did not pursue the line of questioning further. "For now we will be simply testing the rig, basically. Training the crew, let them get the hang of it. The oil produced will be piped out to a refinery near Aberdeen and from there will be distributed for domestic use."

[quote]
[center][b]Public Announcment[/b][/center]
[center][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/zoot_zoot/england-flag-pic-rex-361150275.jpg[/img][/center]

[center]The Kingdom of England hereby lays claim to all of the North Sea oilfields in the name of the King and for reasons of national security, economic stability and to ensure the future of England's historic claims over the North Sea. These claims will NOT infringe on German maritime territory or resources within their Exclusive Economic Zone. However, Scotland's claim is no longer recognised.[/center]

[center]To enforce this mandate, the First Carrier Battle group has been deployed to the North Sea and will enforce these claims. The Scottish oil rig is to be evacuated within twenty four hours. Failure to do so will result in seizure by Royal Marines. Furthermore to this declaration, the border between England and Scotland is now closed. To enforce this declaration, the First and Second Legions have been deployed to the wall.[/center]
[center].[/center]

[left]Signed[/left]
[left]King Robert Baratheon, the first of his name[/left]
[left]Prime Minister Max Fisher[/left]
[/quote]

The Chairman of Scotia Oil appeared in front of a crowd today: "Ahem, Prime Minister Fisher, you do realize that the Republic of Scotia government no longer has control over what goes on aboard that rig. Furthermore, it is very English of you to go ahead and try to seize what the Scots have created through hard work instead of developing your own fields in your own sea space. It seems to us that neither the Scotian government nor its people have the will or means to wage a war. Despite this, I am terribly sorry about to say but if your intention is to seize our rig, it is not going to happen. With our newly found profits Standard Oil has commissioned a navy to protect our assets, most of which comes from abandoned German vessels. But we'll have you know that it is quite enough to protect the interests of the Company. Our so-called government will cower in fear but deep pockets don't disappoint. Black gold will continue to flow and I'll be damned if any lousy Englishman is going to stop me."

Following the statement, indeed the First Alba Battle Group set sail to defend Scotia Oil Rig One.

OOC
Dude, check the links i have been pming you. I have already invaded you, i have shut down your internet through hacking into your nationa ISP's and planting virus's and worms across the board, compiled with massive ddos attacks, that post isnt even possible.

Just read the links i sent you so you understand fully what i have done, and you can compile a response based on my attacks.

If you struggle to understand my post, pm me and i will explain in detail my post, or talk to me on IRC when i query you.