The Righteous Orators Legacy League - Season 3

Goldie

The Righteous Orators Legacy League had its third annual draft on Sunday. Each team kept six players from last season, and selected 24 new players today.

As before, the league is constructed as follows:
-Sixteen teams, in four divisions.
-QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, K on offense.
-DB, DB, DB, DL, DL, DL, LB, LB, LB, DB/DL/LB, DB/DL/LB on defense.
-Seven bench spots to make a total of thirty players on each roster, 480 players in the league total.
-Each team can keep up to six of its players at the end of the season to carry over into next season.

These are the four divisions, and the four teams in each division:

Alter Egos
Goldie (Brady's Lovechild) - VE
Sceptor (Alesmiths) - Umb
Emperor Brutus (Communist Rangers) - TOP
Gofastleft (Bradford's Boy) - NG

Haf's Flingers
Kowalski (Jets Schmets) - VE
Janax (Jehovas Walrus) - R.I.P.
Rondo (Dez'ignated Hitters) - VE
DylanCarter (Washington Sentinels) - Umb

Heroes of Time
Niota (Lynch's Wild Ride) - Umb
TBRaiders (Mushroom Warriors) - MK
Magicninja (Magic's Ninjas) - GATO
Astriy (Niota's Draft Picks) - Umb

Krack Heads
Shadow (Hell Will Freeze) - VE
Callebaut (C Squad) - Tetris
Mr_Vicarious (Aikman's Nth Concussion) - Fark
Canik (Beer For Friends) - BFF

In last year's title game, Callebaut knocked off the previously undefeated team of TBRaiders', and took home the Schattenmann Cup.

Here is a breakdown of each team, and their potential strengths and weaknesses.

[b]Gofastleft (Bradford's Boy)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Sam Bradford
RB - Michael Turner
RB - Darren Sproles
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Jeremy Maclin
WR - Miles Austin

Was a tough season last year for GFL, winning only four games and having losing streaks of four and five games. After trading out of the first round for an extra 2nd and 3rd, he picked up a potential breakout TE in Jacob Tamme, then set to work hitting IDP's hard, hoping his solid keepers can maintain their health and he can pick up some points defensively. He needs his team's namesake to put on a good year in order to rise to the top half of the Alter Egos division, but if he does, GFL's talented receiving core could give him the push he needs.

[b]Goldie (Brady's Lovechild)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Michael Vick
RB - Shonn Greene
RB - Doug Martin
WR - Steve Smith
WR - Vincent Jackson
WR - Andre Johnson

After sneaking into the playoffs on the back of a three-game winning streak to close out the season (that included a win-or-go-home .25 point win over EB), only to get blown out of the water by top-seeded TBR, after having been the 9th seed the year before, it was time for a major change for this team. Everyone who wasn't nailed down (the Smith/Jackson/Johnson receiving core) was shipped out for high-risk high-reward players like Michael Vick and draft picks, with the hope that having tons of early round picks would give me depth to win but also quality RBs to keep in the future. Moving up to 2nd overall to draft Doug Martin was a key, and picking up Andrew Luck as Vick insurance/QB of the future was important too. Hopefully my early IDP splurge will be enough to put me into good playoff position, but if Vick goes down, and my RBs don't produce, I've taken a huge step back.

[b]Sceptor (Alesmiths)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Joe Flacco
RB - Marshawn Lynch
RB - Ryan Mathews
RB - Jamaal Charles
RB - Donald Brown
WR - Larry Fitzgerald

Like death and taxes, you always know Sceptor is going to autopick his draft. His keepers were sound, though, and he added another potential top RB to his troika of Lynch/Mathews/Charles in Donald Brown, so he may have the strongest RB core of anyone in the league. His WRs, though, leave a lot ot be desired and while he autopicked a stud DL crew, his LB core is not as strong as it should be.

[b]Emperor Brutus (Communist Rangers)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Philip Rivers
RB - Ray Rice
RB - Mark Ingram
WR - Wes Welker
TE - Tony Gonzalez
TE - Greg Olsen

Last season's division champ returns potentially the top RB in the league in Ray Rice, a QB primed to return to glory in Rivers, a WR who always puts up phenomenal numbers in Welker, and the most interesting TE core in the league. Problems loom, however, as he traded his 2nd, 4th, and 5th round picks over the past year, and as such he was unable to add the skill position depth that helped him out last year with guys like DeAngelo Williams, Burleson, and Pettigrew, replacing them with intriguing players like Jonathan Baldwin, but seriously lacking in the RB department after Ingram and Rice.

[b]Kowalski (Jets Schmets)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Jay Cutler
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
RB - Peyton Hillis
RB - Cedric Benson
WR - Pierre Garcon
TE - Vernon Davis

Kowalski is another notorious autopicker, but it looks like he talked some sense into his machine before it went live, and as a result it paid off bigtime. He got, with the 7th overall pick, perhaps the top-scorer of this year's draft pool in Cedric Benson, who could really run wild in Green Bay. Subsequent rounds saw him pick up the best LB in the draft in D'Qwell Jackson, as well as serious high-potential guys in Kendall Hunter (could take carries from Gore and be the starter by next season), Keshawn Martin (trying to become the 2nd option in the Houston passing attack), and Rod Streater (who could blow up in Oakland this year). Overall, his team looks very good, if Cutler and the Bears open up their passing game and MJD ends his holdout, Kowalski could be on pace for big things.

[b]Janax (Jehovas Walrus)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Andy Dalton
QB - Josh Freeman
RB - Arian Foster
RB - Adrian Peterson
RB - Michael Bush
WR - Roddy White
WR - Reggie Wayne

As has been the case, Janax always brings a stud RB core to the table. This season sees him add Kevin Smith to the stable, and if he can stay healthy, and Peterson regains his mojo, he could end up scoring 60-80 points a game just from his RBs fairly easily. WR is a little light beyond White and Wayne, but Kenny Britt has the potential to put up superstar numbers in the games he plays. QB will be a major concern for Janax, Dalton showed last year that he could be a starting QB in this league, but the dreaded sophomore slump may await, and Freeman is coming off a horrendous followup to his awesome '10 campaign, will he bounce back? More importantly, will Janax start the right one off the bat, and how long will his QB battle (not a good thing to have in this league) last, leaving him with a decision every week on who to start that could be the difference between winning and losing the game?

[b]Rondo (Dez'ignated Hitters)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Aaron Rodgers
RB - Jonathan Stewart
RB - Isaac Redman
RB - Stevan Ridley
TE - Brent Celek

"In Rodgers We Trust" is Rondo's motto this year, because he is looking at an up and down season based primarily on how much his top QB can carry his team. Each of his RBs have potential to put up 20 points in a game, but each has major question marks. Stewart got hurt minutes before our draft started, will he lose time in the committee because of it? Same question to Redman, whose injury may re-open the door for Mendenhall to take the bulk of the carries. Ridley looks the part of the BJGE role in New England this year, but how much will they run, and will his fumbleitis put him back in the doghouse? All of those situations could work out positively and Rondo could have a good year, but if they don't, it will be a long season.

[b]DylanCarter (Washington Sentinels)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Cam Newton
RB - Chris Johnson
RB - DeMarco Murray
RB - C.J. Spiller
WR - Eric Decker
TE - Jermichael Finley

DC took over last year midseason for an inactive team, and very quickly he decided to put his name on it. First, he traded for Calvin Johnson in the middle of his historic campain, then, to improve his keeper quality and depth, used Megatron to obtain Newton and Finley. Combine them with CJ2K looking for a major comeback, and the ever-promising (but super risky) Murray, and he might have the makings of a division contender this year. DC moved back from 2nd overall to 9th, picking up Spiller and a 2013 1st rounder in exchange for the pick that got me Doug Martin, so he could be setting himself up very well for the future. His receivers and LBs show a lot of high end depth, with Malcom Floyd poised for big things in San Diego, Decker quickly becoming Peyton's favorite target, and LaFell potentially giving DC a potent QB-WR connection on his team.

[b]Niota (Lynch's Wild Ride)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Eli Manning
RB - Matt Forte
WR - Victor Cruz
WR - Brandon Marshall
WR - A.J. Green
WR - Torrey Smith
TE - Aaron Hernandez

Niota lost 3 games all of last season. The two regular season losses came against the Heroes of Time division champion TBR, and the 3rd was the first round playoff loss to EB. Naturally, that result leaves a feeling of frustration and a desire to do what is necessary to put the team over that hump and compete for a championship this year, and that's what he has decided to do. Manning put together a sneaky-good season last year statistically, and Forte did Forte things. But it is Niota's WRs that set the pace for him, and probably for the entire league. Where dropoff is to be expected from Cruz this year, it will most likely be made up for by Marshall's leap forward as he reconnects with Cutler. Green should have another strong year now that a serious running game is here to take attention away from the pass. And while Niota traded away lots of picks to make that core happen, the two early picks he did have, he made the most of, nabbing Torrey Smith in the first and getting the potential future workhorse in Atlanta with Jacquizz Rodgers. His RB core outside of Rodgers and Forte is lean, however, and his defenders leave a lot to be desired, but it is clearly win or bust mode for Niota, and chances are it will work out decently well.

[b]TBRaiders (Mushroom Warriors)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Matt Ryan
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Ryan Williams
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Marques Colston

For the second straight year, the league had a team go into the playoffs undefeated and lose. Two seasons ago, it was Janax getting knocked off in the first round, last year it was TBR losing in the championship game. The core of that team has been shaken up a bit, but TBR knows what he is doing and his skill positions reflect that. Matt Ryan is projected to have a good enough season that Cam Newton, one of the pillars of the undefeated run, became expendable and in return brought Megatron over. With McCoy in tow, TBR has potentially the best RB and best WR in the league, and used his early draft picks to fill in his skill positions with high upside guys like Darrius Heyward-Bey, Ryan Williams, and the HoF receiver formerly known as Randy Moss. Obviously, in this scenario, defensive players take a backseat, and those upside guys do carry risks attached to them, but there should be an easy cruise to the playoffs again for TBR.

[b]Magicninja (Magic's Ninjas)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Ben Roethlisberger
RB - Steven Jackson
RB - Reggie Bush
WR - Dwayne Bowe
WR - Titus Young
WR - Kendall Wright
TE - Antonio Gates

Magicninja was the 3rd autopick team, and he didn't benefit from the setup Kowalski had unfortunately. QB is a good spot for him, as Pittsburgh figures to throw a lot while their running game continues to be a mess. Definite risk involved with Reggie Bush being expected to duplicate his healthy and productive campaign of last year, But Jackson is always consistent. Bowe getting back to the fold is something MN needed, and Titus Young, perhaps the best receiver available in the draft, fell into his lap at pick 9 of the 2nd round. No one stands to benefit more from Kenny Britt being hurt/suspended than Kendall Wright, but he could still become Jake Locker's favorite target and put up good points. The Gates/Davis TE combo is ferocious, and both could easily end up in the top five at their position. Past that, question marks abound, and with the Alter Egos division being as ruthless as it is, it might be a tough year for MN.

[b]Astriy (Niota's Draft Picks)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Matthew Stafford
RB - Ahmad Bradshaw
RB - DeAngelo Williams
WR - Mike Wallace
WR - Hakeem Nicks
WR - Dez Bryant
TE - Jimmy Graham

Perhaps no one was affected more by the news from the past week than Astriy. Both Stafford and Bradshaw suffered minor injuries that could potentially bother them, Bradshaw's being one to keep an eye on as the season goes by. Wallace finally reported to camp, enabling him to hopefully regain his spot as Roethlisberger's favorite target, and Jonathan Stewart got injured, giving Astriy's pick of Williams more value. Dez Bryant also was given an ultimatum and a set of mandates, hopefully for Astriy, he follows them. All things considered though, he probably has the deepest set of skill players. The first two picks of his draft were stellar, with Williams and Ben Tate coming aboard, and Daniel Thomas, Isaiah Pead, and Coby Fleener could all be impact players by season's end, giving him more ammo to trade for draft picks, probably from Niota.

[b]Shadow (Hell Will Freeze)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Drew Brees
RB - BenJarvus Green-Ellis
RB - Darren McFadden
WR - Jordy Nelson
WR - Greg Jennings
WR - Robert Meachem
WR - Justin Blackmon

Outside of Brees and McFadden, not much on this roster looks sexy. But sexy doesn't always win championships, consistency, balance, and luck have a lot to do with it, and Shadow has the first two qualities in spades. He has a monopoly on the Green Bay receiving core, it's safe to say that every time Aaron Rodgers puts up big numbers, Jennings/Nelson will get a good amount of points. The Law Firm will take over the Benson role in Cincy and continue to put together solid if unspectacular numbers, and Meachem is looking like he is Rivers' top target in SD. Defense from top to bottom looks solid, and there are players like Ronnie Brown and Joel Dressen who could have solid fantasy value by the end of the season, and Kyle Rudolph could become the top receiver for Chrisitan Ponder, as the TE in Minnesota.

[b]Callebaut (C Squad)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Tom Brady
RB - Fred Jackson
RB - Willis McGahee
WR - Lance Moore
WR - Greg Little
WR - Demaryius Thomas
TE - Rob Gronkowski

A stellar playoff run paid off with being the only person to win a game against TBRaiders, and it was the one that counted, the championship game for the Schattenmann Cup. The core that took him to the promised land, the Brady/Gronk connection, Fred Jackson, and McGahee all return, with a little help from productive WRs like Lance Moore, Greg Little, and Demaryius Thomas. Defense is strong and balanced, but the rest of his RB core beyond the top two have huge question marks and starting three TEs is not usually a recipe for success. Maybe trades are in order for his team to get a little more balanced at RB, where the most points generally come from. If so, he could be ready for another championship run.

[b]Mr_Vicarious (Aikman's Nth Concussion)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Roy Helu
WR - Stevie Johnson
WR - DeSean Jackson
WR - Brandon Lloyd
WR - Antonio Brown

Another player who joined midseason last year, Mr_Vicarious arrived with a little less in his cupboard, but there is a brighter future for his team. Romo looks poised to repeat his numbers from last year, and perhaps improve if his receiving core stays healthy and DeMarco Murray keeps giving him breathing room. Brandon Lloyd would surprise few people if he ended up turning out the best season any receiver has this year, and Jackson/Johnson/Brown are all potentially the top targets in good passing offenses. RB is a major question mark, as there is not one bonafide starter in the group, but points should be able to be had from scraping together the committee backs he has, and relying on his stud receiver core and solid defense, and hoping for a great season from Romo. This team might be a year off, but if moves are made to acquire future keeper-worthy RBs, this team could be good down the road.

[b]Canik (Beer For Friends)[/b]

[u]Key Players[/u]
QB - Peyton Manning
QB - Matt Schaub
RB - Beanie Wells
RB - Trent Richardson
RB - Rashad Jennings
WR - Percy Harvin
TE - Brandon Pettigrew

The newest member of our league, Canik, had his work cut out for him. Taking over a team that didn't do much by way of improving itself last year, moves had to be made to make the team better. Luckily for him, the fact that the team wasn't good meant that he got the first overall draft pick in a year where there was an incredible option for that first pick, and he took Richardson, potentially the top RB in fantasy in a couple of years, with that pick. Trades were made to stockpile more picks and to improve the keeper situation, and as a result he has a pair of exciting young backs with a lot of potential for the season with Richardson and Jennings (if MJD misses even one game Jennings could make a foothold), and a good group of TEs in Pettigrew and Jermaine Gresham. He needs help at receiver, and deciding which QB to start will always be an issue, but the team is moving in the right direction.

Totally out of nowhere predictions:

Alter Egos Division Champ: Goldie finally makes the leap and wins the division.
Haf's Flingers Division Champ: Janax rides Dalton and his horses to a strong finish.
Heroes of Time Division Champ: Niota finally exorcises his demons and takes it home.
Krack Heads Division Champ: Callebaut holds off Shadow and moves to defend his title.

Schattenmann Cup Winner: Niota over Janax as Hernandez scores 3 TDs.

Thanks for reminding me how dismal my fantasy experience was last year. :P Injuries killed me in every league last year. In one league this year I drafted Tom Brady, My son, knowing how bad I hate the Patriots and anything relating to them, commented on this. I told him if Brady stays healthy I could win that league, but if my injury curse continues I still win since the Pats will struggle. :lol1:

Awesome overview of the league, Goldie.

That MJD situation is looking good for me. The relationship has been poisoned, I'd really be surprised if he was still with the Jags next year.

Also, hopefully Rashard Mendenhall gets healthy and becomes his old self again. Unlikely, I know.. but in a league this big you have to take big risks.

Personally, I think IDP is the only way to play. After several years of exclusive IDP league participation, my knowledge/appreciation for defensive schemes and players has grown incredibly.

As for their fantasy relevance, I would say they matter, but are only occasional game changers. A team owner who ignores/makes poor decisions on defense will suffer, while a good team owner can milk an extra 5-10% edge over his opponents (average over the season). Sometimes, though, with takeaways or defensive TDs, they can make a huge difference.

Also, it was an honor to win last year. My team was not the highest scoring, but I had fairly high consistency and a good coaching efficiency. Edging out TBRaiders was mere luck, though.

Here's to this year.

[quote name='Biff Webster' timestamp='1347346624' post='3029162']
Do IDP's have much an effect on scores? Are they consistent or do they just generate bonus points every once in a while?

I used to be really big into fantasy football but after trying out rotisserie baseball, it just isn't the same.
[/quote]

I had three IDP players score double digit points for me last week (AJ Hawk, Cortland Finnegan, Antonio Cromartie). They absolutely do provide value, but picking IDP players you think will perform well is difficult because it is not quite as intuitive as it is for offensive players. A great defensive player in real life may not necessarily be a good IDP player to draft, with shutdown corners and pass rush specialists being probably the two most prominent examples of this. I had DeMarcus Ware last year, who was the NFL leader in sacks, but in terms of fantasy value he ended up only being a middling scorer at linebacker.

• 2 weeks later...