DOE - Forbidden Ice

Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340249528' post='2991108']
"We have our own technology. Much of it is similar to that wielded by those who inhabit this world, but vastly adapted. But say for example.. the tanks.. that we have seen your kind use on Television. We don't use those. Rather we favor powered-armor. The terrain we reside in and the way we live means we have never had a use for open roads. Flat land, while convenient, is not a necessity. Likewise, basic rolling transport.. we don't have much in the way of it say for short transport of heavy equipment. I can't get into specifics.. but yes.. we have it, it's just well hidden. We have studied the commercial traffic of this world and evaluated the historical reports and records broadcast over the airwaves in the form of educational programs and historical reproductions. Based on these we estimate that our total presence here is roughly 6 times the total strength of your own nation. However, it's all focused on the defense of our own. We'd rather it not be seen.. we'd rather it not be used. We even have atomic weapons technology.. and thanks to the Uranium on this continent, we have nuclear power, weapons, and even fusion power." Keth seemed to smile, the tissues just beyond the edge of his beak curving the partial break in the flesh that constituted the edge of his mouth somewhat upwards and his feathers bristled in a bright colorful and prideful display. "You don't cross dimensions without a very specialized and focused expertise in the study of space/time and the distortions thereof. But.. we saw the comet coming decades in advance.. so we had a very high level of motivation to get it done."
[/quote]

When the words powered-armour were mentioned Tarkus' head flicked slightly to one side though he was unsure if Keth saw it, he was personally made aware that research and development wanted to design and test man sized powered armour back home but were unable to do so at the current moment in time due to lack of funds and technology so this could prove the most important information piece learnt for the whole visit. As Keth boasted about his people's technology Tarkus nodded in agreement and played along to try and get on his good side. "That is very impressive Keth I congratulate your people on their developments unfortunally my own people are fairly lacking in technological standards compared to many other nations through out the world. So where do we go from here?" asked Tarkus looking around the room they stood in.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon seeing the flare, the aircraft circled one last time before it made it's descent to the airfield below. It bounced lightly as it hit the icy runway, but the pilots quickly learned that the runway was well fit for landing and within a natural time, the plane came to a halt. The back ramp lowered down to the snow below as the propellers circled every once and a while to an occasional Antartic breeze. However, despite a light snowfall, things were relatively calm and those on board saw fit to take their time.

There were roughly four passengers outside of those on the cargo plane, which would soon take off once again for another refueling station, just as soon as they unloaded their cargo - most of which was either packed inside of neat rugged little plastic boxes or placed on the onboard Fenrir All Terrain Vehicle. Normally, Fenirs were built for combat purposes, but this one (which was painted an obnoxiously bright orange just in case it was lost and needed to be found), was clearly not for any military purpose whatsoever and was refitted mostly to keep it's passengers warm.

The four passengers themselves helped unload a fair assortment of materials from the craft, all of which could be opened by any curious bi-passer without so much as a squabble. After all, it was mostly sleeping bags a hammock, pillows, blankets and food, lots of fruits and vegtables - the finest that Edean could offer. There was also a ragtag box filled with economic documents, lovingly named " Oniru Economic Crap ". Among the mix of other things were fresh sets of clothing articles, medical supplies and basic items of bodily hygiene. Those onboard also brought out a generator, some fuel and a couple of oil heaters, along with some extras, like a hand knit blanket and boxes of cookies. Ultimately, there was nothing threatening within the crates unless one mistook the signal flares for sticks of dynamite.

"Do you think we have to go too far from here?" chirped one of the four, all of whom were thoroughly covered from head to toe in a thick parka, snow pants, snow boots, gloves and even the hoods of their parka were raised, the back's of them forming a kind of trench coat to hold back the cold winter wind. They were extremely well prepared for the cold and seemed intent on arriving with the solid goal of achieving personal comfort. It was somewhat odd however, because the Parka's themselves, which formed trench-coats in the back didn't seem to move entirely right in the wind and the tops of them were each spread wide as if room was needed to contain something beneath them. Likewise, all of the passengers but one were fairly thin, and short at that, roughly 4 feet tall for the most part. Soon, however, everything would all be made clear.

Soon, one of the four noticed something coming into view and as it's form became clearer, they stopped what they were doing, paused, gave each other quick glances and then then began to move towards the form, their pairs of brilliant golden, green and blue eye's glistening wide beneath the hoods. A hush fell as they walked closer to the golden winged coatl, the kind of hush that only snow could bring. Their approach was that of those struck with a slight bit of fear, but drawn in by a vast sense of awe, and their abnormally wide eyes conveyed an instant sense of child-like curiosity. Amidst the hush, a whisper could be heard from one of the four, "They're beautiful."

In their cautious approach, the one with the golden eyes moved to the front and the others pulled back with a slight noted whisper arising from the blue-eyed one who smelled of the greatest fear, "Be careful Alesteir,"

"It will be alright, don't worry" came the reply from the golden eyed one.

Cautiously walking forward in his approach, he bowed somewhat in humbility at the image before him and removed the parka hood from the top of his head, revealing the party for what they truly were, his fox-like features fully apparent in a moment, even in the Antarctic darkness. The expanded hood, held back a set of massive ears that rotated and focused in on any sound, with tips of fluff on the end and filling the inside to keep it warm, a fur-pattern mask, speckled with spots and a long fluffy tail... perfect for curling up into. They walked on digit-grade legs, and it was readily apparent that their paws had a hard time in the footwear they were sent in. Their muzzles however, were somewhat shorter then a typical fox and gave them a youthful image that was only exaggerated by their eyes which were indeed larger then their human counterparts by a small bit. Everything about them, from their eyes, to their massive ears, their tail - everything told their emotions at every instant. The front golden eyed one, had a dark pony tail, wrapped in traditional metal bands, along with two striped fur patterns on his ears and almost cheetah-like tear-patterns around his muzzle, his right eye had been damaged prior in life and was pale from being blinded on that side.

Alaesteir simply stood there for several moments, maybe even a minute, awestruck at what to say to the creature, seemingly hypnotized by the situation, before he finally opened his muzzle to utter an odd introduction, "You're really real. I can't believe that you're really real..." he breathed and then tried his best to stutter into a more formal introduction that was completely lost to the first, which was even a tad bit comical.

"I - I am Triumvir Alesteir Evylan of the Vesari, who call the warm forests of the north our home. I am awestruck to meet you Artemis."

[center][img] http://tensor-industries.com/TensorIndustries/MyDocuments/VesariForbiddenIceRPJPG.jpg[/img][/center]

((OOC: I drew a pixture! I've also got other pictures of Vesari too in case that one isn't clear though, they're the creature on the far left of the bottom picture of [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109055&view=findpost&p=2917679"]this post[/url]. Just in case you needed more visualization ;). ))

Edited by Zarfef

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340253143' post='2991301']
"You have two choices." He said as he coiled up slowly around a column of the Parthenon like structure. Tarkus would get the impression he was as comfortable with being coiled around a column as Tarkus was with sitting in a chair. "You may stay here with me and discuss ourselves and the world, or you may return to your crew in your habitat to discuss your current findings. Far as I'm concerned, I would prefer to talk with you. You seem like a noble soldier, a good representative for your people. I'd like to learn more about you personally Tarkus. I am only a teenager, I was raised for this very purpose, to meet and greet those who might encounter us. My personal history is fairly short, but given you are a sergeant, I would assume you've seen a lot in your time. If you wish to take up my company, simply enter the dome there and make yourself comfortable. It should be a nice, steady 70 degrees within.. maybe you could remove that helmet and I can actually see to whom I speak?"
[/quote]

"I think I will indeed stay and discuss more with you though I will send the rest of my squadmates back to our quarters first" replied Tarkus doing exactly as he said by sending his squadmates back to their assigned quarters to rest and relax whilst he went on alone and entered the dome. Inside he removed his helmet revealing Tarkus to be a bald headed man of fourty two, his face worn and scarred with lines. Clipping his helmet to his belt he also placed his rifle at his feet as he sat down to the floor to better be comfortable as they talked. "Personal history? Well I grew up in the constantly battling lands of Europe and as I grew up to be a man I had to fight numerous times to protect myself, my country and those who couldn't fight for themselves. I quickly learned the art of war and it has saved my life many times now. It wasn't until I was found by a remarkable woman named Sanders that I found my true purpose though. She was a leader of a small mercenary unit back then but what it lacked in numbers and equipment it made up for in spirit and tactics. She told me about how she imagined a country where soldiers lived and died for a righteous cause to purge the universe of evil and its agents and I believed her. I followed her out of the lands of Europe and to the world beyond never doubting and always believing."

"The commander quickly recognised my skill and offered me a place in her command but refused taking this position of sergeant where I could stay and teach the new recruits how best to fight and survive and though she has offered me promotions I kept turning them down till she stopped. As we fought round the globe we grew closer and became good friends and that was when she told me of how she had had a vision of a great evil that would descend and that it was our duty to fight it with all that we had. She told me how even in death we would continue to fight the agents of evil from beyond this plane of existance which is why I mentioned we would need to have the remains of any of our dead returned or recovered because we know that if a person's remains are desecrated or abandoned then that person's spirit can not pass on to this new world and can be pulled into the service of evil."

"That is why I continue to fight for my Commander and why I accept that some of our methods are harsh compared to others in this world. For if we are not harsh now and allow weakness into our hearts and minds then the forces of evil have already won and victory is theirs" explained Tarkus his tone laced full of piety and utter belief that would easily be seen and heard. The topic was very dear to him and it went some way in explaining his actions from earlier.

Visually, nothing was apparent that should have sent him into alarm, but the scent in the air sent a chill up Alesteir's back and by the time Artemis had turned to go towards their 'shelter', his fur was stuck straight out as if to increase his size - although most of it just felt uncomfortable within the jacket and only made his tail look on edge and his ears peeled back. Vesari were naturally opposed to violence of any kind, but oddly this one particular situation made Alesteir somewhat desiring the feeling of a warm cozy gun for the first time in his life. Of course, the idea that he felt like prey was, just a natural reaction he figured from his internal workings - and he did his best to overcome his fears. However, as Artemis turned to check, the four were still frozen behind Alesteir until he began to follow, cautiously, but steadily.

"I think our aircraft is actually going to be taking off here shortly, so it won't need a hanger to stay in." He stated, somewhat envying the pilots now taking off. "It's also true, we're not like the others. That's why we were particularly excited to hear there might be others out there

((OOC: I'm calling a tad bit of shenanigans on the tech there. [url="http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=237759"]This[/url] is your nation. You have roughly 4,000 tech, which places your tech level in the year 2023. First, you need a nuclear power plant wonder to claim fusion power, although your WRC does grant you access to fusion weapons. However, at 2023, power armor would still be rather rudimentary I'd imagine, even if it is ten years from present. Think everything we have but an order of magnitude better. Holographic 3-D screens, potentially in development phase. Spacecraft may be semi-commonplace for wealthy companies, but power armor will be rudimentary at best - something like a perfected version of what they have today.))

Edited by Zarfef

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340319277' post='2992195']
"I see. Now I understand why you bristled at the explanation of our laws. You've been through much it seems. Perhaps this mission you are on will be more like a vacation to you then. What is your favorite beverage and foods Sergeant? If you and your men can come up with a list I'll try to get them added to our trade negotiations to make you feel welcome if not at home here.. well.. as much at home as this climate permits. So far I've not much of a taste for this world's food. My doctors fear my poor nutrition may even be stunting my growth. So far I've only a real taste for fish, but they're saying that's not really sufficient." He sighed. "Hopefully my tastes will change over time. I was still just a youth when our world was destroyed, but I can still remember some of my comfort foods that I may not ever see again. The plants and animals that they were made of just do not exist here."
[/quote]

"Hmm favourite foods huh. Well I am a soldier so I and my team are used to eating ration packs, full of everything you need to keep going but taste worse than dirt itself" replied Tarkus with a deep laugh though it was doubtful that Keth would understand the joke and so he quickly moved on. "Though I must say off the base I do love some steak with chips, nothing like a rare steak still oozing with a bit of blood and juices to make a great tasting meal. Just thinking of one almost makes me hungry" he said with a smile before remembering Keth's last words. "Keth if it is okay with you and it won't upset you could you tell me more of this world you came from?" Tarkus asked his secret passion of space travel coming through.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340319277' post='2992195']
"We appreciate the warm welcome, but who is this?" Came the unencrypted HAM morse code response.
[/quote]

"We are The Republic of Chicago, Sir"

OOC: Im back in Now :P

[quote]Greetings from the nation of Haven! It appears you are dragons. Several people in high places here at Haven find that fascinating and would to see it firsthand ourselves. We would like to request a meeting with your kind, and perhaps discuss some business.

We eagerly await your response.[/quote]

As Keth explained and described his world Tarkus listened his interest growing with every passing moment yet when Keth finally finished it was clear that the issue was still painful to the power creature and he didn't wish to cause him or her anymore pain. "Thank you for describing it to me. It sounded like such a unique and wonderful place to call home and I offer you my sympathies at the loss of it. Hopefully working with my species we can at least make this planet feel like a new home to you and your kind" replied Tarkus trying to cheer up Keth at least a little bit.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340411240' post='2993030']
"Others are arriving. It seems this conference may be successful after all." Keth noted briefly. Tarkus couldn't see it, but beneath all the plumage on the creatures head a small communications device was in its ear. It was part of the translator, but also a means to keep in touch with his own people. "I hope you are correct Tarkus.. after reviewing footage of your species history, we were a bit concerned. The species of Paradox had forged a world government in the face of the threat of the comet and to address it.. we haven't warred in some time, but remember its destruction well."
[/quote]

Tarkus couldn't help but give out a small chuckle though it was one without any hint of humour in it. "My dear Keth if there is one thing that humanity can state that it is good at it is war and destruction. Whether it be for politics, resources, land or any other reason we as a species have proven to be masters at making new ways to kill one another. But I guess that is a good thing in a way seeing as how without war I would have no place in this world" said Tarkus in reply as he looked around hoping to spot the other members of humanity who were coming to the conference.

Standing up Tarkus gathered up his rifle and slung it on his back so that it nestled against the backpack there before walking over to where Keth was coiled. Looking over the map he quickly identified where the old United States of America were and after a few moments located the old state of Georgia. Using one finger he traced a slow and careful outline of the old state for Keth as he talked. "The Ascendancy inhabits what was once called the state of Georgia in the old United States of America as you can see the land is quite small but is generally enough though the land of America is usually violent and has had many a war." Looking around at the ice caverns he sighed softly before continuing "It might be cold but I really wouldn't mind having a quiet little ice outpost for me and my squad. Nice to get away from the constant conflict from time to time you know. Hey you guys got any real estate for sale?" he jokingly added at the end.

Tarkus gave a short sharp laugh before noticing that Keth was being serious. "Oh that is quite an honour Keth thank you. I haven't mentioned it but my team was sent here specifically because we are all Hellghast special forces rather than your basic troopers. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner but it is protocol to not mention it unless we feel the person or people being told can be trusted and I certainly say you can be trusted Keth" as Tarkus said the last line he held out his hand towards Keth, he wasn't sure if Keth knew about human handshaking but he guessed that previous contact with other humans may have given him the knowledge about it.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1340425654' post='2993192']
As he stretched his hand out, Keth tilted his head. " Keth put his clawed, long digited, bird-foot like hand out in the same way that Tarkus did, but didn't clasp Tarkus' hand. "Sign language?" He inquired. "We were expecting anyone really. We know each group would react in its own way. Due to the nature of your species and it being all you've had to interact wtih we understand your suspicion." In the distance.. Tarkus thought he saw a hill of snow and ice move... and the ground shook a little beneath his feet.
[/quote]

Stretching his hand a little further he clasped Keth's foot and shook it gently. "Not sign language really this is a human greeting between two people who respect one another. I will have to..." feeling the ground shake beneath him and seeing the snow and ice move he quickly stood up his rifle snapping up into the ready position. Not knowing what to expect Tarkus didn't want to risk lowering the rifle to place his helmet back onto his shoulders and as he waited for whatever was coming to get closer he looked around for nearby cover coming to the conclusion that the pillars would do well if he needed to fight.