DOE - Forbidden Ice

Maelstrom Vortex

Keth would see Tarkus' rifle drop as he stared in both shock and wonder at Iceberg, a very rare slip of restraint and control for the sergeant but then again he had never seen anything like it. He tried to form words but found that his mouth had seemed to stop working and it took him a few moments to get his self control back thus allowing him to speak. "Thank you Iceberg it is an honour to meet you. I must say you are an amazing sight to behold. I have never seen anything like it in my life" replied Tarkus truthfully his voice still full of wonder.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Iceberg leave Tarkus allowed himself to relax again, returning to where he had been sitting and resting his rifle down in front of him before withdrawing a sealed ration bar. Peeling back the wrapper he took a few bites not reacting to the incrediable bland taste as it mushed to a pulp in his mouth, by now he was used to the bars but still he wanted to finish it as quickly as he could. So taking his thermal flask he washed what he had eaten down with a few gulps of water before remembering he had company. "Keth want to try something that is really nasty to taste?" he said to the coatl with a laugh.

Peeling off the rest of the wrapper Tarkus held the ration bar out so that Keth could take a bite out of it though at his size he would porobally have to eat the whole thing. "Hmm not too sure on the details but as far as I know it is processed protein suppliments in some sort of mixture. Everything a soldier needs to keep going in the field as long as you don't need or want taste" replied Tarkus as he looked around for the rest of the visiting parties hoping to catch a glimpse of who else was attending.

Haven would send its Minister of Science and Interior to meet with the representative of Forbidden Ice, along with a lower level member of the Foreign Affairs ministry. It would not be officially announced that they were leaving the country as the representatives however and they would be accompanied but a group of five Royal Guards. Alexander had not been too thrilled when Allyn proposed the trip, but it wasn't the first time he had requested a vacation under the guise of diplomacy that might be dangerous. However dragons were much too interesting a claim to pass up, interesting enough that Syphyx wanted to go along as well.

They would arrive a few days later and awaited in the residence provided by Forbidden Ice for a diplomat to arrive and begin the interactions.

((OOC: I've been lagging on replying to this for too long - this is what happens when I overload myself. Sorry. I do want to take part in this RP though - here, hopefully that works.))

"I'm glad we're not on the menu tonight then ..." Triumvir Alesteir stated, still quite nervous around the creature. "Are there any particular laws I need to be aware of? On a different note I would also be happy to join in the discussion with the representatives of other lands. After all, now that I've met with you, I suppose that that places me outside the role of explorer and back into my more traditional role as a representative of my people. Admittedly the explorer role was a tad bit more exciting - you know, until we started discussing eating me... The others should probably set up a place of rest here, it has been a long flight down to this end of the Earth."

So Triumvir Alesteir followed Artemis, still somewhat on edge despite the creatures re-assurances, to meet with Artemis' peer at "the pantheon". The other Vesari moved their Fenir closer to the mansion of ice and brought in layers upon layers of blankets, sleeping bags, food, chips, snacks, drinks and even a couple of musical instruments. They set the sleeping bags down side-by-side, but tossed the blankets on in a disordered mannerism one after another... even though the temperature inside was fairly warm, it was still the inside of a giant structure made of ice and these creatures were far more used to the tropical weather of Edean. To finish it off, they dropped down a set of pillows before plopping themselves on the ground to wonder if Alesteir was going to make it back alive or not, then commenced stuffing their faces like chipmunks, drinking sodas and playing music until they were passed out next to one another in the sheer glee of over-indulging their senses with food. Few people really understand the value of a home-cooked tuna-broccoli-casserole like a Vesari in the Antarctic. Triumvir Rodolfo had noted that they were mostly vegetarians - but that was simply to be on the safe side. Truth be told, the ones that followed Vivian actually had quite a taste for fish - the one type of meat that Vesari would actually eat being seafood.

--------------------------------

[quote] "You have all been gathered here to discuss ties with us. We are appreciative of your attendance here. We understand humanity is nervous with first time contacts and first time relations, suspicious of each other and their peers. That said, we think the proper way to go about this in the nature to which you are accustomed is to offer a friendship, intelligence, and trade agreement. Notably we would like to swap raw materials for foods. We do not have a great diversity of food currently although with the aid of the Lunar Republic we are in the process of building a hydroponics and aquaculture base. We are willing to trade at the current exchange rates offered on your global markets. If the rest of you agree with this proposal we will submit a treaty to you shortly for your review and signing. We're going to call it "Ice Block" well.. because it's amusing. Any thoughts on these matters?"[/quote]

Aelesteir was amazed at the sight of even more dragons, and couldn't help sitting cross-legged on the floor, while looking up in amazement at the new one in attendance, tail occasionally wagging to try and show his desire to be friendly, ears, ever alert. Vesari may have seemed playful and even unprofessional, but truth be told, he was listening to each word as it came by and proved his people's method for selecting a ruler was quite effective. This was an amazing opportunity for Edean and he new what it would mean to the Vesari people if he were to catch a big part in it.

"This trade agreement is particularly interesting to me great Keth, for we might be able to offer much that may interest you. Although our own kind prefers mostly fruits, vegetables and occasionally fish - truth be told, there are several different people's in our land . Edean lies along the equator of the Earth and has a wealth of sunlight, warmth, good fertile soil and of course, with that comes food. Things have been somewhat rough on account of the war, but once the war with the Aether Empire is complete, we would have access to our ports back and hence the ability to provide a great wealth of food to help feed your people. This is particularly interesting, because Edean itself somewhat handicaps itself in the global economy, as export of raw materials alone is actually forbidden by the constitution, we can only export goods that we create from those materials. The law is good, it protects our fragile but invaluable environment, but it does limit us in some ways."

"On top of this, my own people are strongly opposed to war in all of it's forms - you could say that we hold a deep philosophy of pacifism. Things have been particularly rough for us on account of the turmoil in South America in recent years and this war has been the worst. Afterwards however, we have hopes of reaching the moon and developing new plants that will help maintain life on the lunar surface - it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that such plants developed for the Lunar Soil could also be of key value with the Antartic - the two environments we would be growing the food in would be almost identical, given our interests in something I think are called the 'eternal points of light' on the southern lunar pole."

"A trade agreement between our people's would mean that my own people could find employment with ease, without sacrificing their values. It is sad, in the past, some of our own even died of starvation in a land of plenty, simply because of their commitment to peace. Our own villages function almost under a kind of collective communism, where each Vesari gives according to what they can and takes according to their need - we love comfort, but we're not particularly materialistic. However, not all Vesari are willing to accept the gifts of others, even or especially friends, forever and feel terrible that they cannot find a means to contribute to the community without killing others - consequently, they end up destroying themselves..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just somewhat pre-occupied with the issues still lingering at home for me. Hopefully Gildas will return from the AUP with good news, with good news meaning news that will end this war. However, from what I've heard, I would be happy to make a commitment to say that the people of Edean would seek to honor those values you have noted. We understand how it is to be 'different' so friendship is natural, peaceful trade is the answer to many of my people's prayers and intelligence... I'm not certain what you mean by that, as no humans can actually grant each other intelligence - unless... do you mean an educational exchange program? All of this is possible - it doesn't even need a treaty as the doors of our land are already open. You have much to offer our world, I do not believe that creatures so magnificent, have come to our world entirely by chance - I am certain that your people are destined to do great things. I am likewise, humbled to be in attendance here today."

((Where did you get Zarfef from? He's currently at war with my country, he's not in attendance the last time I checked. He's too busy doing evil acts of evil and causing me to write great walls of text. I think you meant Triumvir Alesteir. Zarfef is a bad man.))

----------------------------

Alesteir looked over the treaty, but stopped at article 2, "I'm afraid I can't agree to this."

"The [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109055&view=findpost&p=2918625"]Edean Constitution[/url] explicitly forbids the Triumvirate and the Council of Wisdom from interfering in most economic affairs, except those outlined by the constitution itself. To quote Article 8," Alesteir pulled out a hand pocket version of the constitution, which he had on him for such fine occasions as his memory wasn't as good as the other two members of the Triumvirate.

"The government shall not interfere with any economic transactions between two freely-consenting people in a fair exchange of wealth, goods and services, nor shall the government interfere with the transaction or duplication of information and knowledge. The government however, is free to enter into the market in order to ensure a healthy concentration of wealth, to inspire competition in the marketplace or to pursue wealth for the support of it's responsibilities. Although the people tend to hold disdain for that last part, so until now we've left everything in the hands of private companies."

"I'm afraid that placing a tariff on goods exported to your people would be forbidden - although I'd have to ask why you'd want that anyways? Why incur unnecessary costs on your people that would only pad the pocketbooks of people who haven't worked for it in a different land? Doesn't free-trade in and of itself, forbid the existence of tariffs?"

"Furthermore, while I'm simply a Vesari and we're hardly economic experts - spending hours around that Oniru, Gildas, has told me a few things. Don't Articles 1 & 7 contradict each other? Is it possible to both subsidize goods while leaving those goods purely in the hands of an absolute laissez-faire market of sorts?" The Vesari paused and looked it over a bit more, ears twitching constantly as he was somewhat nervous about challenging the bill placed before him in good faith, "Everything else seems fine though - even now, during a war, you'll find nothing in the way of border patrols. We're not a particularly territorial people and the private militias only protect what their customers pay them to. You could probably fly a battleship over us, even without the treaty, and no one would react unless it started firing on people. The sea is the same, but at the time, Aether has claimed our entire coastal areas - they're not particularly friendly and tend to attack anything that comes around them... I can't speak for their actions though - we're doing our best to remove them given that they've been less then pleasant guests."

"Hmm... I think you're right on Article 2, that does seem to be a rather ambiguous, tricky phrase of words. I think you mean to say, All members agree to tariff-free trade and not all members agree to tariff free trade? A hyphen would really go a long ways in tying the words together, to suggest that the trade's are free of tariffs rather then suggesting that all free trade is to be tariffed. A small modification would likely go a long ways in avoiding confusion for future generations that will read this document." Alesteir replied, "But I can see that we are indeed in agreement on that matter. In that case, while I'll have to leave the subsidizing matter over to Gildas, I can then agree to the document in a slightly modified form once the hyphen is properly in place."

Alesteir nodded, took out a pen (he was worried that he might have forgotten it) and then proceeded to sign the document himself,

[quote][center][b][size="5"]Ice Block.[/size][/b][/center]

The purpose of this treaty is to provide a framework for unity and trade among friends.

1. All members agree to open trade at current global market prices, letting the free market determine the cost of goods.
2. All members agree to tariff-free trade.
3. All members recognize that they are valuable to each other and shall treat each other as friends. While friends may not always agree on all things, they will consult each other in the event of disagreement in an attempt to work out problems before any form of aggression may occur. This treaty may be later upgraded to a non aggression treaty among signatory members.
4. As a friendship treaty, this treaty is meant to deter aggression against member states. While not an official defense pact, the states recognize this treaty binds them in friendship and they may react accordingly to any threat to any particular member of the treaty.
5. Sea lanes of each member shall be free to pass through by member states so long as properly registered with the proper national certifying authority for sea-craft.
6. A hotline and embassy will be established among constituents to ensure adequate communication in time of crisis.
7. The government of the Forbidden Ice authorizes a subsidy to reduce the cost of raw materials matching the rate of subsidy granted to them by member nations which are willing to sell them food. For example, if a subsidy from a member state gives Forbidden ice 10% off food prices, Forbidden Ice will match that on an equal currency value of Raw Material sales.
8. All commercial traffic on land or air is also free from restriction save from normal import/export legislation and standard border-crossing procedures as authorized by each member nation.

Signed for Forbidden Ice,
Keth the Wise

Signed for Edean,
Triumvir Alesteir Evylan[/quote]

((OOC: Let's just assume that's his name, I have the embarrassing admittance that I just realize that I'm not sure how to spell my own characters name and that that name has changed between Alestair and Alaistier and potentially other variations throughout this RP and potentially others. I'm assuming that he actually knows his own name and from an OOC standpoint I am declaring that that actually is his name even if it varies now or in the future - hopefully I can keep a better continuity with this, at least until next month when I get a new Vesari Triumvirate and a new Human Triumvirate if Rodolfo doesn't win - which I think he'll easily grab a second term, he's extremely popular in Edean. I don't think Evylan will run again though, too stressful.))

Removing a pen from his own equipment Tarkus would step over next to the strange furry animal which even now worried and confused him and quickly added his own signature to the document as he was technically representing the Hellghan Ascendancy. Scratching it down in ink he returned to his previous position wary of the furry creatures that had arrived.

[quote]Signed for the Hellghan Ascendancy

Sergeant Tarkus Maximus.[/quote]

"I can agree to everything written in here." The Minsiter chuckled a bit as he looked around the meeting area. "Our planet is turning into quite the fairy tale place hasn't it. Dragons and cat people." He looked at Syphyx. She had a devilish grin on her face. He whispered to her. "I know what you're thinking. Not here." She looked mildly disappointed, but nodded and signed the treaty as well.

[quote]Signed for Haven,

Minister Allyn Hutzell
Minister Syphyx Abendroth[/quote]

At the last comment by Keth Allyn spoke to him. "I wouldn't fret about that too much Keth. Sometimes it's better to go unnoticed."

OOC: I can't post from on my campus, which is where I am 90% of the time nowadays, sorry for not posting more.

Edited by Lord Zephyr

Allyn smiled, "Ah science, now there's something I can talk to you about. I've always wanted a research lab in Antarctica. That's definitely something we can talk about. As for the medicine, Haven would gladly ship or fly in any needed supplies to be stored here. We have some databases with our medical research that we might be able to lend you. I couldn't dream of passing up the ability to study your species physiology."

"I'll contact Haven and tell them to get supplies ready to be sent down here. We could build at least a part of the facility large enough to harbor your adult members. I certainly don't mind helping and working with teenagers and young adults. Education is very important, even if it's a member of another species I'll be happy that another mind is dedicated TO SCIENCE!." Syphyx snickered. Allyn had taken a ridiculous looking pose with his right fist thrust into the air, his feet staggered, and his with his eyes wide and grin overflowing. He cleared his throat and recomposed himself. "Yes it will be a wondrous endeavor."

"I have a curious question. While I am certainly astonished by the level of quality shown in our own houses, I also am a bit confused. If it is really difficult to build objects to match our scale, but the younger members of your population lack the experience to efficiently produce these objects, then is there any particular reason that you would avoid alternatives? For instance, per-fabricated goods from outside of your land, or even temporary visas for skilled laborers?" Evylan paused on that thought, considering that the potential to be eaten made this option somewhat unfavorable, "Or if you preferred to use internal labor, I have noticed that you already posses advanced technology for power armor and the like - would it be too far out to simply create a 'small dragon' robotic clone that acquired it's fine motor coordination from a larger power-armor user via some kind of digital system combined the two, so that the power armor acted like a complex joystick? If looked at from that perspective, size wouldn't be a particularly difficult problem - external mechanisms that produce smaller detailed components could also be imported that would allow you, I'm certain, to create most of what you might want to market to the smaller audiences of the world, but with control consoles built up to match your size and needs."