SoTW #14: Voting

SinOfNemesis

Which sig is the best?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='okandjo' timestamp='1283094524' post='2434697']
Transparency is key and Sal is correct in believing we should see the amount of work in each sig.
[/quote]

I've been doing graphic design in one capacity or another for up and around 15 years ... The "amount of work" doesn't add up to anything. I've done some of the most elaborate stuff in less than 5 minutes while more basic stuff I pecked away at for hours and hours.

Is it eye-catching? Does it make you want to look at it again? Does it say something to you? Move you? Turn your stomach? These are questions that are more important than 'How much effort was put into it?'.

[quote name='Rayvon' timestamp='1283099554' post='2434739']
Is it eye-catching? Does it make you want to look at it again? Does it say something to you? Move you? Turn your stomach? These are questions that are more important than 'How much effort was put into it?'.
[/quote]

This actually. It's not how many hours of work went into producing the product, it is how well the final product appears and what it invokes in it's viewers.

I've actually provided my .psd for the sig contest that I won two rounds ago, and my source image for the last one- I have no problem showing those to the public.

[quote name='Rayvon' timestamp='1283099554' post='2434739']
[/quote]

I agree. And anyone that knows art will agree as well. Which is why Cheyenne's sig is good and all the other ones are crap. But the people running this contest believe art means applying photoshop filters to Google image search. It stands to reason that if this is art to them, they should care what the original image looked like.

Of course they won't, because they don't want their plagiarism easily discovered. I am not at all surprised that they rejected my suggestion.

I'm still not sure how the depiction of a doomsayer is considered on topic with mythology but I won't complain; after all, I've won on an abstract interpretation of the theme in the past. Good job new frontier, although it wasn't my personal favorite ;-)

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1283104044' post='2434772']
I agree. And anyone that knows art will agree as well. Which is why Cheyenne's sig is good and all the other ones are crap. But the people running this contest believe art means applying photoshop filters to Google image search. It stands to reason that if this is art to them, they should care what the original image looked like.

Of course they won't, because they don't want their plagiarism easily discovered. I am not at all surprised that they rejected my suggestion.
[/quote]

Either that or I didn't think that Cheyenne's sig A.) Was eye catching, B.) Made me want to look at it again, C.) Say something to me, D.) Moved me, or E.) Turned my stomach.

And Sal, if you looked through the voting threads you'll see that many entries had posted their stocks.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1283108336' post='2434809']
Either that or I didn't think that Cheyenne's sig A.) Was eye catching, B.) Made me want to look at it again, C.) Say something to me, D.) Moved me, or E.) Turned my stomach.[/quote]

How is this at all a response to my post?

[quote]And Sal, if you looked through the voting threads you'll see that many entries had posted their stocks.
[/quote]

Show them to me.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1283108632' post='2434812']
How is this at all a response to my post?[/quote]

"I agree. And anyone that knows art will agree as well. Which is why Cheyenne's sig is good". Agreeing with points that I find false, and I made my opinion known to you. How is this not a response to your post?

[quote]Show them to me.
[/quote]

Search through [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90764&st=0]1[/url], [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90488&st=0]2[/url], and [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90280&st=0]3[/url].

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1283108998' post='2434818']
"I agree. And anyone that knows art will agree as well. Which is why Cheyenne's sig is good". Agreeing with points that I find false, and I made my opinion known to you. How is this not a response to your post?[/quote]

You're agreeing with points that you find false?

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1283114483' post='2434933']
You're agreeing with points that you find false?
[/quote]

You, Sal. You were agreeing with points that I find false. Use that head of yours.

The point you were agreeing with, or whatever you were doing, was that Cheyennes sig was good because it matched Rayvon's points.

Edited by Masterof9puppets

My points weren't intended to either support nor slander the discussion over Chey's piece. They were directed towards the comment(s) that seemed to elude a piece of art is any more or less a piece of art based on effort/work.

[quote name='Rayvon' timestamp='1283121316' post='2435062']
My points weren't intended to either support nor slander the discussion over Chey's piece. They were directed towards the comment(s) that seemed to elude a piece of art is any more or less a piece of art based on effort/work.
[/quote]

We are not discussing which is better as art, but which is better as art created by an artist submitted in an art contest.
This is an art contest, therefore personally, I prefer and would vote for art that is (more) original.

If some others believe that an artist has the right to take other people's work and submit it as their own in an art contest without due credit, that is your opinion, while I have my own.

Some of us will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by okandjo