Update to the Merger Concept

Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Botha' date='26 June 2010 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1277576543' post='2351103']
[color="#000080"]Going back a few years when SOI first appeared as an RP factor, from what I recall your landclaim needed to fit [i]within [/i]your SOI; the SOI was the maximum extent of one's potential claim but not necessarally their entire claim recognised - especially if there were competing overlapping SOIs.

The physical SOI as represented by the circle indicated the amount of land you could have - not the statistical number, which never came into play. And if nations were based in the oceans, i.e. island nations, just because most of their SOI was over water did not mean they could claim additonal land outside their SOI to compensate (in other words, you were **** out of luck for dry land if you had the folly to RP somewhere based in Oceania).

Then later the SOI rules were justifiably loosened somewhat to account for having one's borders follow existing RL political borders (mostly to make mapmaking easier, but also for more realism as well as to eliminate the silliness of curved boundaries and round-nations that chose to claim their entire SOI limit.

Personally I am against land-gobbling from failed mergers (as well as permitting giant-sized continental empires) as I see it being detrimental to RP and the incorporation of new RPers for landclaims. If a merger collapses or one or more partners departs, their respective share of the land should not remain with what's left of the merger - it should be opened up to land claims.

I think there should also be *some* leeway, the example of someone wanting to play Chile being a great example (in that particular example, I think having an SOI that is half Chile's vertical height should suffice assuming they had no other land outside of RL Chilean borders). Leeway can also be made mutually between neighbours if they have adjacent SOI's. [/color]
[/quote]

Yep this...

The thing I'm waiting for is to merge with German, have both Lynn and KM go inactive and having my tiny behind running the whole gorrila. hahahah

I say let them keep the land, or at least let them have the first picking from the inevitable cluster for land that will follow. In my opinion SoI isn’t nor should it be a boundary for how big a country can become, rather it’s a measure of how far your maximum infrastructure level reaches and a gauge of your ability to rule your people.

For instance if I claimed and rped within the real borders of Russia, then the far east would be undeveloped and impoverished therefore it would also difficult to exert my influence on the people. I should expect to rp more nationalist movements, autonomy or independence talks or even full fledged civil wars.

I understand the need to prevent people from controlling entire continents (no offense shadow) but I think it’s obvious that cnrp has a built in mechanism to keep this kind of thing from happening, especially in hotspots like Europe and North America. It may not be an instant fix, but it’s a lot more interesting to read.

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' date='27 June 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1277667123' post='2352109']
I say let them keep the land, or at least let them have the first picking from the inevitable cluster for land that will follow. In my opinion SoI isn’t nor should it be a boundary for how big a country can become, rather it’s a measure of how far your maximum infrastructure level reaches and a gauge of your ability to rule your people.

For instance if I claimed and rped within the real borders of Russia, then the far east would be undeveloped and impoverished therefore it would also difficult to exert my influence on the people. I should expect to rp more nationalist movements, autonomy or independence talks or even full fledged civil wars.

I understand the need to prevent people from controlling entire continents (no offense shadow) but I think it’s obvious that cnrp has a built in mechanism to keep this kind of thing from happening, especially in hotspots like Europe and North America. It may not be an instant fix, but it’s a lot more interesting to read.
[/quote]

Out of everything I've read, this is something I agree with the most. Maybe I missed it before, maybe this is the first time its been said but land should be taken or removed through IC movements. Rebellions, Civil Wars are great to read, contrary to what many think. Now the problem might arise. "That's stupid cause no one will RP a civil war or rebellions, they just say their land is perfect." One, if you do that and you're well over extended, your RP is definitely unrealistic though when it happens, the community has a fail-safe mechanism that goes..."INVASION FREE THE OPPRESSED!" and the country is normally taken down.

All it requires for land to work after a merger has ended is respect for the player and the story that comes from it. If the player doesn't have that respect, then normally the community forces it upon them with the strength of arms.

[quote name='Silhouette' date='26 June 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1277602795' post='2351474']
I have this great idea, how about every one uses their brains and thinks for themselves instead of relying on rules and restrictions to make decisions for them...
[/quote]

Cant, its just too damn hard.

[quote name='Silhouette' date='26 June 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1277602795' post='2351474']
I have this great idea, how about every one uses their brains and thinks for themselves instead of relying on rules and restrictions to make decisions for them...
[/quote]
Tell that to players who will do whatever it takes to dominate in CNRP as long as they aren't any rules restricting them, such as RPing a full amount of 10k tech tanks when the player has 1k tech IG.

Another example would be the Julio mode, aka, "Can't attack me RPly even though I pissed off half of the world and if you attack my IGly to get me to recognize a RP war, then I shall call my IG alliance for assistance!" We don't want another player using the Julio mode, right?