Presidential Announcements from the Italian Federation

Michael McBride

The news from the Italian Federation today both came as something that was expected but also something of a shock. Tom Dobbs announced that elections for the position of Presidente, as promised, would take place in the coming months. That news was expected. He also announced that he would not be running for office again, which came as the biggest shock of all. Rumors have already started flying as to the reason for his departure and where he will go, but the Presidente’s office has refused comment on those issues, saying instead it is more important for the country to focus on making sure these elections go smoothly.

With Tom Dobbs out, multiple candidates have stepped forward vying for the most powerful position in the land. No current Senators or House members are allowed to run, under the rules of the previous election.

Three candidates have chosen to run for the office, all announcing their candidacies to great fanfare in different parts of the country.

[b]Adriano Zerbini[/b] – [u]One Italy[/u] – Despite the party’s poor showing in the nationwide elections for the Senate and People’s House, Zerbini and the rest of the One Italy party believe in a prolonged campaign with debates, they can win the Presidency.

[b]Corrado Bazzani[/b] – [u]Independent[/u] – Bazzani subscribes to no party and his ideology is “what I think is right”. He has published a [url="http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html"]manifesto[/url] regarding his beliefs and how he would rule. Bazzani dislikes the current system of electing Presidentes, and instead says he would change it to whomever was elected would serve for life and when they died or stepped down, a new leader would then be elected.

[b]Jacopo Palacio[/b] – [u]Isolationist[/u] – Advocates cutting off all diplomatic and economic ties with other nations and making Italy completely isolationist. This would include removal of signatures from the Diamonds Pact, the MDP with the Sicilian League, and removal of forces from Guam. All travel with other nations would be cut off, and Italy would basically turn into a police state. Has been criticized as simply returning to the days of Junio Borghese and that his policies are merely fascism in disguise.

OOC Note: This thread is to ask questions and make comments on the candidates. Voting thread will be up later in the week.

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

The largest news corporation in the Republic, the RNN, asked a general question to the politicians of Italy: Why are two of your presidential candidates prime men to turn the table back and undo all progress in Italy done recently, and why is the other running like a fool?

[quote name='Sargun' date='03 February 2010 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1265230107' post='2157055']
The largest news corporation in the Republic, the RNN, asked a general question to the politicians of Italy: Why are two of your presidential candidates prime men to turn the table back and undo all progress in Italy done recently, and why is the other running like a fool?
[/quote]

We would ask that you specify who you are insulting next time so we do not confuse them all.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' date='03 February 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1265230838' post='2157089']
We would ask that you specify who you are insulting next time so we do not confuse them all.
[/quote]

Adriano Zerbini, of the One Italy party, has the potential to ruin the international image of Italy and perhaps even alienate friends and allies. They seem to have little political strength in the country after the nationwide elections.

Corrado Bazzani's manifesto involves him being an Evil Overlord and has proposed changing the President to President-for-life.

Jacopo Palacio seems like he would have done well in Borghese Italy.

[quote name='Sargun' date='03 February 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1265231382' post='2157107']
Adriano Zerbini, of the One Italy party, has the potential to ruin the international image of Italy and perhaps even alienate friends and allies. They seem to have little political strength in the country after the nationwide elections.

Corrado Bazzani's manifesto involves him being an Evil Overlord and has proposed changing the President to President-for-life.

Jacopo Palacio seems like he would have done well in Borghese Italy.
[/quote]

Zerbini was the candidate put forward by his party. The same with Palacio. Bazzani ran at the urging of many members of the Independent and Moderate parties. His manifesto is unorthodox, but it has worked for him with business and other political ventures. Note your own words, however. He has proposed this change... it would still need to pass through the Senate and People's House. Bazzani believes that it leads to a more stable government in the long run, even if change over periods can be turbulent.

[b]Statement from the Steward[/b]
I am very sorry to hear that my close friend, Tom Dobbs, will be stepping down from the Presidency of the Italian Federation. He has done much for the people of his nation and I feel he could do more still. While the Sicilian League is certainly losing a friend in the President of the Federation, I do look forward to working with whoever the people of the Federation elect as Tom's successor.

I, and my people, remain firmly committed to the tenets of the Italian Stability Agreement, and all of us in the League hope that our faith in this agreement will be met with reciprocity by whoever is elected to lead the Federation. I await the results of the election and I wish the people of the Federation a safe and smooth election process.

-Jean d'Aosta
Steward of the Sicilian League

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Radio Excerpt]
[b]Radio Free Italy- Italy's Shining Beacon of Truth[/b]

How sorry I feel for my brothers and sisters in the Federation, their leader steps down and the only three candidates to replace him either wish to cut off ties with the Sicilian League or plunge the Federation into tyranny once again. Is there no one better in the federation to take Tom Dobbs' place? While I understand that Dobbs is a true titan, a veritable Atlas holding the freedoms of the Federation on his back, surely there must be someone better than the three... fools that have answered the call so far.

My brothers and sister to the North, your nation is now in peril, you must do something to safeguard your independence and your freedom. You are faced with three terrible choices, one wishes to alienate and risk war with your brothers and sisters in the League, one wants to undo all the gains you have made since the fall of the old regime, and one wants to alienate all of your allies and stop interacting with the world, very similar to what the Tyrant Borghese did before we were liberated.

Do something, my brothers and sisters, find yourselves a better candidate, take charge of your nation and the people of the League will be with you every step of the way. I beg of you, do not let your freedom or your safety be taken away from you in this election, because at this point, that is what these candidates are forcing you to choose between.

Edited by The Flying Scotsman

[b]Statement from the campaign of Corrado Bazzani in response to the excerpt from Radio Free Italy[/b]

Woah woah woah there buddy. Let's backtrack for a second. Undo all the gains? I simply said that I disagree with the current way that our President's are elected. I have [b]proposed[/b] something that would make the Presidente an elected-for-life position. It would still have to pass the Senate and People's House. Again, this is a [b]proposal[/b]. None of the other tenants of our republic would be taken away. Please, do not simply discount me as a viable candidate because of one proposal I will present and my young age. A 21 year old can lead just as well as anyone else. I worked to subvert the old regime under our fascist state as the organizer of a youth political organization. Do not, ever, insinuate that I would allow us to return to something like that.

OOC: lol, how did you ever stumble across that list? I must remember it.

IC: "And so Italy shows quite the cast of colorful characters in this election. All that is missing is for a hero to step up to challenge them, and we'd have a real-life movie in the making."

~Excerpt from a political commentary show.

To: [b]Adriano Zerbini [/b]

"I see you have mnot listed any of what you and your party stand for. mind elaborating on it a bit, other than the obvious desire for a unified Iitaly?"

To: [b]Corrado Bazzani[/b]

Why do you believe your manifesto is best for your nation in the long run?

To: [b]Jacopo Palacio[/b]

"Why do yuo believe the best course for the Federation is an isolationist one, considering this will cut you off from international trade?"

[i]"While we are quite happy that Americans are no longer imposing their will on the European continent, we are unsure as to whether or not any of these candidates will actually be better than Dobbs. Maybe a fourth party will step forward and run the country well."[/i]
[right]Magan de Vries
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Message Approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Message Approved by the Office of the Prime Minister
Further Messages Approved by the Above Offices[/right]

[quote name='Markus Wilding' date='03 February 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1265237308' post='2157311']
"Hey, remember when we controlled Italy? Where we actually [i]did[/i] something other than just screw around with elections? Yeah, me too."
- Stephen Colbert
[/quote]
"Hey, remember when I invaded you and absolutely obliterated you in about a single night? Yeah, me too."
- Artemis spokesperson

[quote name='Sargun' date='03 February 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1265237565' post='2157322']
"Hey, remember when I invaded you and absolutely obliterated you in about a single night? Yeah, me too."
- Artemis spokesperson
[/quote]
"Good times, comrade."
- Old Nordic Party Official

[quote name='Mergerberger II' date='03 February 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1265241144' post='2157415']
"Good times, comrade."
- Old Nordic Party Official
[/quote]
"Reminds of when we rolled Neo Japan."
- Rebel Naval Officer

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='03 February 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1265236009' post='2157261']
OOC: lol, how did you ever stumble across that list? I must remember it.

IC: "And so Italy shows quite the cast of colorful characters in this election. All that is missing is for a hero to step up to challenge them, and we'd have a real-life movie in the making."

~Excerpt from a political commentary show.

To: [b]Adriano Zerbini [/b]

"I see you have mnot listed any of what you and your party stand for. mind elaborating on it a bit, other than the obvious desire for a unified Iitaly?"[/quote]

We stand for what is best for the people, which we feel, and have heard from the people, is a unified Italy. No other issue is as important as that.

[quote]To: [b]Corrado Bazzani[/b]

Why do you believe your manifesto is best for your nation in the long run?[/quote]

The manifesto isn't for running the nation. It's for the ruler. With my proposition of the Presidente position being for life, it would be helpful to them to survive. It was written when I was in college as a joke, but it's stuck with me ever since.

[quote]To: [b]Jacopo Palacio[/b]

"Why do yuo believe the best course for the Federation is an isolationist one, considering this will cut you off from international trade?"
[/quote]

Why do I think it is the best action? No wars. No outside problems. No worrying about how crazy Europe is anymore. Why wouldn't the people want that?

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' date='03 February 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1265260190' post='2158053']
Why do I think it is the best action? No wars. No outside problems. No worrying about how crazy Europe is anymore. Why wouldn't the people want that?
[/quote]
"Why don't you ask the people why they wouldn't? And Isolationism does not guarantee freedom from wars or outside problems."

[quote name='Stefano Palmieri' date='04 February 2010 - 05:39 AM' timestamp='1265279978' post='2158645']
[color="#9932CC"]To all the candidates, if elected, how will San Marino - Italy relations change/continue in the future?[/color]
[/quote]

[b]Adriano Zerbini[/b]
As San Marino is, and has been, an independent country, our relationship would not change. We have no interest in taking your land.

[b]Corrado Bazzani[/b]
If I am elected as Presidente, the relationship between the Italian Federation and San Marino with either remain the same or only grow stronger. Working together and mutual defense is the only way to make our peninsula stronger.
[b]
Jacopo Palacio[/b]

The Italian Federation would cut off all contact with the outside world, including San Marino. The country would be sealed off from the Federation, as would everyone else.

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='04 February 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1265299477' post='2158906']
What is each candidates opinion on PEPTO, Finland, and the current efforts to keep Europe free of foreign influence and stable?
[/quote]

[b]Adriano Zerbini[/b]
We admire the aims of PEPTO, Finland, and your allies for attempting to keep foreign influence out of Europe. There is no place for that type of thing on our continent, just as there is no reason for the people of Italy to remain separated.

[b]Corrado Bazzani[/b]
I feel that sovereign nations should be able to do what they wanted. If Spain wished to give a piece of their land to Louisiana for a military base, then that is their sovereign right. If Italy wants to give a part of one of their larger military bases to, say, Australia, then it is our right to do so. Finland, PEPTO, and the rest Europe should worry about their own countries. Military bases, freely given, are not colonies.

[b]Jacopo Palacio[/b]
We could frankly care less what Finland, PEPTO, and the rest of Europe do as long as you leave us alone. We don't care what you all do as long as you leave us alone.

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='04 February 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1265323853' post='2159567']
"Why don't you ask the people why they wouldn't? And Isolationism does not guarantee freedom from wars or outside problems."
[/quote]

If we don't bother anyone else, then they shouldn't bother us. That's the long and short of it.