Pope Paul VI Borghese dies in Vatican

Agostinho Neto

funeraligiovannipaoloii.jpg

ROMA (Città del Vaticano/Statvs Civitatis Vaticanae) - Pope Paul VI Borghese, the 265° Bishop of Rome and Pope of the Roman Chatolic Church, has died at the age of 75.

The Pope died in his private apartment at the Vatican at 10.00am today, surrounded by his closest Italian aides. Many thousands of people gathered in Rome's St Peter's Square to pay tribute to the pontiff, while church bells throughout the city began tolling. The Pope had suffered worsening health problems including a heart condition "Our Holy Father Paul VI Borghese has returned to the house of the Father". Vatican spokesman said a mass was held at his bedside by senior officials before his death. The Pope then received the Viaticum, a Catholic rite for the sick and dying.

The Italian government has declared three days of mourning.

News of the Pope's death was received with intense emotion The Pope is to lie in state in St Peter's Basilica from Thusday afternoon, the Vatican said. The funeral date has not been set but it is not expected before Saturday.

Pope Paul VI Borghese died after suffering from heart and kidney problems and unstable blood pressure. Minutes after his death, the Vatican issued a brief statement to confirm the news, adding that procedures to be carried out in the event of the death of the Pope had been set in motion.

The Pope's death was immediately announced to the crowds gathered in St Peter's Square. The news was met with long applause, an Italian sign of respect, followed by several minutes of silence as the crowd took in the news. A RAI Radio-Television's correspondent at the Vatican, says people in the square stood in groups, comforting one other.

In the Pope's native neighborhood, Roma-Trastevere, people fell to their knees and wept as the news reached them. Tributes have been coming in from political and religious leaders in other parts of the country. General Junio Borghese, grandson of Paul VI Borghese, said he was deeply saddened by the death of a Pope whom he described as a tireless advocate of peace and freedom of religion.

Few hours later, white smoke appeared on the Sistine Chapel when, taking the name Pope Benedict XVII, someone appeared on the balcony of St Peter's Basilica. His arrival was greeted by loud cheers from the many thousands of pilgrims who had packed St Peter's Square as news of his election spread across Rome.

((A human player will roleplay the Vatican since now, he will soon post his inaugural speech))

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: I sure hope it isn't KC. //

The sudden death of Pope Paul VI Borghese has slowed the efforts of many trying to find their loved ones in Carthage and Gibraltar. Many families made similar statements, including, "They are in good hands. The passing of Pope Paul VI Borghese is a sign from God - we are all his children. Life comes to an end. They are in good hands." A minority of families, mainly those who are atheist, agnostic or non-Catholic (Catholics compose 84% of the population in the city of Carthage and 77% in Gibraltar), took advantage of the less-crowded areas and surplus of supplies.

Former Cardinal Francisco Cardeau, now Pope Benedict XVII, walked to the open window. Previous to his entrance the white smoke had been issued from the smoke stack of the Sistine Chapel, signaling the traditional Habemus Papam! We have a new Pope! Benedict moved to the cardinal that now upheld the microphone so that he may address the amassed crowd of the faithful in St. Peter's Square:

Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope Paul VI, the Cardinals have elected me, a simple, humble labourer in the vineyard of the Lord. The fact that the Lord knows how to work and to act even with insufficient instruments comforts me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers. In the joy of the Risen Lord, confident of his unfailing help, let us move forward. The Lord will help us, and Mary, His Most Holy Mother, will be on our side. Thank you!

Reports from the Vatican confirm that the Pallium and the Ring of The Fisherman have been invested upon the new Pope, and that the Vatican City has been transferred into the control of the new Pope. The Swiss Guard have likewise been sworn in with the new pope, and it's new head, the Commandant of The Guard, Rudolf Theodor Müller has taken command of the body charged with protection of His Holiness.

Edited by Gnost Dural

IC: "Zargathia wishes to know if both Popes would be willing to talk about a reunification of the Catholic Church."

(OOC: Pope Alexius I was played by KingChris before Borghese announced the coronation of 'his' Pope.)

IC: "Zargathia wishes to know if both Popes would be willing to talk about a reunification of the Catholic Church."

(OOC: Pope Alexius I was played by KingChris before Borghese announced the coronation of 'his' Pope.)

The Italian Republic will not let Alexis I step on Italian soil, he was an anti-pope, and he threatened the sovereignty of the Republic.

OOC: I fail to see how he's pope if he's not in the traditional home of the Papacy. Reminds me of Avignon...

OOC: He wanted to but Borghese didn't want to give him access, lots of drama, then KC got a nation of his own etc.

The Italian Republic will not let Alexis I step on Italian soil, he was an anti-pope, and he threatened the sovereignty of the Republic.

"Then perhaps Pope Benedict XVII is willing to step off Italian soil for these meetings? Your stance against Pope Alexius I is well known."

Edited by Amyante

"Then perhaps Pope Benedict XVII is willing to step off Italian soil for these meetings? Your stance against Pope Alexius I is well known."

What happens outside our territory is irrelevant, but Alexius I will not be able to reach the Vatican City. He would be put under arrest as he steps off the plane at the Roman airport.

If this pope Alexius I is indeed not well liked, or rather likened to an anti-pope it would do well for His Holiness and indeed the faithful to remain separate from him. It is the stance of the Roman Catholic Church at this time that we do not accept any other Papacy other than the one that resides within the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican City. This has been the traditional seat of Christ's beloved Church for over 265 papal successors and we see no reason to challenge this time honored, and sacred tradition.

Edited by Gnost Dural

fascistr.jpg

Gran Consiglio del Fascismo - Dipartimento per gli Affari Esteri

Great Council of Fascism - Department of Foreign Affairs

The Grand Council of Fascism and the entire Italica is saddened by this inauspicious event. The Duce expresses his personal condolences to Junio Borghese for his great loss. Italica has always recognized and will always recognize the Pope of Rome as the true and only emissary of Christ on Earth; then it salutes the rise of Benedict XVII as the new head of the Roman Catholic Church.

Edited by Arathog

This has been the traditional seat of Christ's beloved Church for over 265 papal successors and we see no reason to challenge this time honored, and sacred tradition.

And it's thanks to General Junio Borghese, the leader of the Italian Republic, if this 2000 years old tradition has been restored. Rome always had a Pontifex Maximus, since the 1st century after Christ.

Edited by Junio Borghese

And it's thanks to General Junio Borghese, the leader of the Italian Republic, if this 2000 years old tradition has been restored. Rome always had a Pontifex Maximus, since the 1st century after Christ.

The Pope thanks Junio, for restoring the Church to it's proper place. His Holiness is deeply humbled by this truly charitable and pious act of faith.

Edited by Gnost Dural

What happens outside our territory is irrelevant, but Alexius I will not be able to reach the Vatican City. He would be put under arrest as he steps off the plane at the Roman airport.

"Which was why we never mentioned where these discussions should be taking place. It is not our intention to encourage anyone to break national laws. All we did was ask whether these talks would be supported."

If this pope Alexius I is indeed not well liked, or rather likened to an anti-pope it would do well for His Holiness and indeed the faithful to remain separate from him. It is the stance of the Roman Catholic Church at this time that we do not accept any other Papacy other than the one that resides within the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican City. This has been the traditional seat of Christ's beloved Church for over 265 papal successors and we see no reason to challenge this time honored, and sacred tradition.

"Then... we would respectfully mention that Paul VII Borghese's coronation was well after Pope Alexius I had become Pope, and that at the time of his coronation he was the only Pope known to the Catholic Church... Up until the Italian Republic announced Paul VI Borghese to be their Pope actually."

Why is there then, such widespread animosity toward the church of pope Alexius I at present? It seems that thus far many people seem to feel that this pope is somehow in disfavor. Furthermore, I assert once again the sacred tradition (which is of great importance to the Faith) that the natural and spiritual home of the Church resides within Rome. The only exception of this was the "Babylonian Captivity" in which the King of France held the pope hostage for political reasons until the Papacy again moved back to it's rightful spiritual home in Rome.

"That would be due to a number of factors, mainly one the brief rift by Archbishop Wood creating confusion amongst the Christians. It is also the reason why we are attempting to make both Popes meet one another, to hopefully take a first step towards reunification and away from the path of separatism that has plagued the Catholic Church of late."

"The 'pope' Alexius I has taken it upon himself to act as a political adviser would. He has attempted in the past to find and take political power in places and even has tried to use the large amount of followers of the Roman Catholic Church as a threat."

"We would like to know where he did so."

Edited by Amyante

"We would like to know where he did so."

"It is my job to say, very sincerely, that we apologize for the confusion. We, that is, the interim government, have mistaken Alexius I for a former alleged Pope who did many misdeeds. We humbly apologize."

OOC: Confused you and KC :P

Edited by Sargun

It is also the reason why we are attempting to make both Popes meet one another, to hopefully take a first step towards reunification and away from the path of separatism that has plagued the Catholic Church of late.

Christ's body is incapable of being separate from one another, and it's divine nature is infallible. We attest this to be true and firmly believe that there is no division within the Roman Catholic Church, insomuch as it resides within Rome. As we stated earlier, and His Holiness expounded in his Motu Propio on the Church in Rome, we do not recognize the "catholic church" of pope Alexius I. We strongly feel that while the Holy Spirit is capable of expressing itself and working through other Christian communities, there is only one seat of the Roman Catholic Church, and it resides within Rome.

Edited by Gnost Dural

"It is my job to say, very sincerely, that we apologize for the confusion. We, that is, the interim government, have mistaken Alexius I for a former alleged Pope who did many misdeeds. We humbly apologize."

OOC: Confused you and KC :P

"No offense taken, we accept your apology."

Christ's body is incapable of being separate from one another, and it's divine nature is infallible. We attest this to be true and firmly believe that there is no division within the Roman Catholic Church, insomuch as it resides within Rome. As we stated earlier, and His Holiness expounded in his Motu Propio on the Church in Rome, we do not recognize the "catholic church" of pope Alexius I. We strongly feel that while the Holy Spirit is capable of expressing itself and working through other Christian communities, there is only one seat of the Roman Catholic Church, and it resides within Rome.

"It would not change the fact that you refuse to recognize someone that came before you. Again, we are not unsympathetic towards you, your ideals and the Church, but we simply wish to prevent a rift from forming before the damage will become irreversible. A split in the Church is to no one's benefit."

The Kingdom of Cochin offers its condolences at the demise of Pope Paul VI Borghese and congratulates Pope Benedict XVII on ascending the Papal Throne.

We hope the new Pope would consent to visit the Kingdom and perhaps conduct a sermon at the Great Temple of All Faiths. It would be much welcomed by the Christian population of the Kingdom of Cochin.

"It would not change the fact that you refuse to recognize someone that came before you. Again, we are not unsympathetic towards you, your ideals and the Church, but we simply wish to prevent a rift from forming before the damage will become irreversible. A split in the Church is to no one's benefit."

Again, as we have stated, there is no split. We attest this to be true and desire no such split (which by the very divine nature of Christ's Church, there can be no such schism). While there may be Catholics, and indeed even Protestants who have not yet come home, when they do come home we will welcome them with the never ending stream of God's love and mercy.

Edited by Gnost Dural