Poor Recruitment Messages

lmcfalcon12

My message wasn't meant as a direct recruitment and therefor i didn't include all those things mentioned above to make it a "good" message.

Truth of the matter is that i do not believe in standard recruitment messages. If i see someone without AA i message them to find out what they want/like/dislike in an alliance.

That way annoying recruitment messages can be avoided.

I just sent him a message telling him I wanted to snuggle up against him on cold winter nights.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My message wasn't meant as a direct recruitment and therefor i didn't include all those things mentioned above to make it a "good" message.

Truth of the matter is that i do not believe in standard recruitment messages. If i see someone without AA i message them to find out what they want/like/dislike in an alliance.

That way annoying recruitment messages can be avoided.

I'll be honest, if I wanted to join an AA right now, I would have told you. I try and be respectful most of the time and I have the free minutes around at the comp, I'll sit down and tell you what I want. That helps me get what I want, and that helps you tailor a strategy etc to get me in.

I just sent him a message telling him I wanted to snuggle up against him on cold winter nights.

Hmm. Hence why I did not reply the second time :P

Edited by lmcfalcon12

To: ShakeZula From: Jordanhazy Date: 7/22/2009 10:28:24 PM

Subject: Greetings from the New Pacific Order

Message: We invite you to join us so that we may benefit from your skills and comradery, and you may benefit from being a member of one of the most organized and efficient alliances in CyberNations.

We offer many programs, and have a variety of internal departments to add more excitement to your CyberNations experience.

To name just a few of what we have to offer:

* Guides, tools, and war-aids to help you start and grow your nation.

* Friendship. With a membership of over 750, there is always someone who shares your views or has similar interests. With our private forum, active IRC channels, and voice chat, we're as connected as you want or need to be.

* Our multimedia approach to CN. You could be a DJ on our radio station, write for our newspaper, design our graphics, or help us diplomatically.

Interested? To join us visit http://pacificorder.net/ and register.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Jordanhazy

Good job, it totally leaves out the fact that anyone that joins would be set to pay magnanimous reps almost immediately, or their terrible history of treating enemies poorly, their past of treating members as meatshields, AND the part where they lie about having over 750 members when they instead have 605. I love it.

did you get any messages from VE?

I'm not sure ATM. I received a ton of messages like I said.

Good job, it totally leaves out the fact that anyone that joins would be set to pay magnanimous reps almost immediately, or their terrible history of treating enemies poorly, their past of treating members as meatshields, AND the part where they lie about having over 750 members when they instead have 605. I love it.

Hmm. Here's a strategy for NPO, maybe stop recruiting until your reps are paid off, and change your recruitment message to read the truth.

Tailoring a strategy? We'll just make you an offer you cannot refuse :P

I got some good ones. I'm not going to lie. Personally if I wasn't going to just hang out or maybe ignore my distant plans, then making a decision from the 42 messages thus far I have received. I could probably narrow down to 5, and if I couldn't figure out from there, then I would probably go for forum quality. That is my last deciding factor, but it is important to me.

Edited by lmcfalcon12

Okay. Bottomline. I've received a lot of messages regarding "What do you think makes up a good recruitment message/strategy?" Rather than answer those individually, I might as well put the question to rest by answering it for all. A good recruitment strategy has the following.

* Most importantly, you give forum URLs, wiki URLs (if you have them), and IRC channels (if you have them) to make finding the forums and the alliance as painless and easy as possible. A recruit who has to do a lot of the information finding himself will automatically take your alliance out of the running.

* Info about entrance aid (for those who qualify), and tech deals (for all).

* A little bit of history helps. Alliances around for a long time show stability and can automatically recruit members.

* Personalize if you can. Nothing tells me your paying attention and I am not just another recruit, by using my name, by giving me a nickname, by citing my name more than once. Beyond that, the recruit does not care if this is a template with replaceable spots. He got this message for him and him only and feels as if he is the only one you are focused on.

* Video links for recruitment show supreme effort and time being put into the game and your strategies.

Things NOT to put in your Message:

* "We are the best alliance in CN" Because God knows I've never heard that one. I'm sure I heard it at least twice in all the messages I received.

* A "what are you looking for?" strategy is good, but not for mass messaging. Face it, almost everyone is trying to get as many members as they can....FAST, as fast as they can to boost numbers. This game is a rat race.

* Enticement of medals. Its a good idea and a bad idea. People like me thrive off the excitement of meaningless medals. I say meaningless because outside that alliance they are just that. Its a bad idea because most medal strategies involve no work whatsoever and basically free medals just for joining and doing nothing. Not good, and in my personal opinion not honorable.

* Enticement of "Good Quality Forums". I know it kind of goes against an earlier reply I made. Its a good aspect, but should not be a deciding factor. It is the LAST reason to choose an alliance.

Other than those glaring aspects, anyone in any alliance with a marketing degree or any marketing classes should be your Director of Recruitment. Period. End of story. They know how to do this best. When you guys are recruiting, you need to give as much info as possible, or as much as the message will hold. More is better than less and you want your potential recruits to be as informed as possible. Sell yourself to them. Know your audience and tailor a message specifically for who you are trying to capture. The sky is the limit. Be smart.

Enjoy your sea of useless nations.

I could agree with you there, High AVG NS is an awesome thing to have in CN. But you know, never judge an alliance by its AVG NS but by the members it possess and they're contribution, loyalty, activity and respect. I for one believe if someone has a great personality, contributes, is loyal, active and respects and is proud of the alliance they're in then they're worth more than a massive nation who doesn't recruit, isn't active or loyal and will run away at the slight chance of an infra beating.

We look for members who are active, who contribute, who are active, who respect and are proud of their alliance, and whos attitude and personality fits the alliance. We are looking for Quality > Quantity and I believe that doesn't extend just to Nation Strength.

Just thought I'd add my two cents. Sorry I picked your post Lebubu. No arguement with you.

Bottomline, lmcfalcon, is that there is no need to post this thread. Ok, so you didn't think some recruitment messages were good. That does not mean you go onto the forums and make fun of all the ones that you didn't like. You just ignore the message, and get on with life. Sorry that were not all master advertisers like yourself, which is funny because you hardly seem qualified to teach us.

I'm more than interested in the outside opinions of someone who is 'on the market' and isn't just talking out of his rear end. This is hardly a thread of 'LOL LOOK AT THESE MORONS', but of 'This is where you went wrong so you can fix it for next time.'

He's also not proclaiming his advice as gospel truth, simply what works on him as a nation with no Alliance Affiliation. Others out there might respond to different things in different messages.

Best kind of criticism is that which helps you avoid making the same error again.

To: lmcfalcon12 From: ***** Date: 7/25/2009 8:18:01 PM

Subject: Fear none Kill all

Message: Looking for a new alliance? We'd gladly help you out. We can offer you everything you expect in an alliance and hopefully alot more. Message me back for details or visit our forums:

fnka.b1.jcink.com

Really? I hope you have more than good forums. Nothing here has enticed me, so I will not be visiting unfortunately.

Hehe I sent that message - people are so mad about being talked to these days. :P Thanks for the trolling though. :awesome:

Edit: Just wanted to talk with you - and didn't think you go for the usual bs alliances throw at you - since you've obviously been in an alliance before. Glad to be on your worst list! :D

Edited by Metal Shards

Bottomline, lmcfalcon, is that there is no need to post this thread. Ok, so you didn't think some recruitment messages were good. That does not mean you go onto the forums and make fun of all the ones that you didn't like. You just ignore the message, and get on with life. Sorry that were not all master advertisers like yourself, which is funny because you hardly seem qualified to teach us.

If you don't like the topic don't post in it. Seems pretty simple to me. I was merely making mention of the recruitment messages and how interesting some were or were not. As for not being qualified to teach you guys, I'm probably the optimum guy to be teaching you. I'm a guy who knows what he wants in an alliance and you, obviously don't know how to market yourself correctly to get guys like me into your alliance. If you don't like what I have to say, then move on.

Keep in mind that marketing and business students like myself make optimal advertisers and recruiters. So between the two of us, who looks more qualified now?

If you don't like the topic don't post in it. Seems pretty simple to me. I was merely making mention of the recruitment messages and how interesting some were or were not. As for not being qualified to teach you guys, I'm probably the optimum guy to be teaching you. I'm a guy who knows what he wants in an alliance and you, obviously don't know how to market yourself correctly to get guys like me into your alliance. If you don't like what I have to say, then move on.

Keep in mind that marketing and business students like myself make optimal advertisers and recruiters. So between the two of us, who looks more qualified now?

Just saying - not to get in the middle of the fight. But alliances want loyal members - not those that care about petty things like how a recruitment message was phrased. We're looking for good solid members - but maybe the larger unaligned nations aren't the best to start with anyway.

Just saying - not to get in the middle of the fight. But alliances want loyal members - not those that care about petty things like how a recruitment message was phrased. We're looking for good solid members - but maybe the larger Unaligned nations aren't the best to start with anyway.

Unfortunately what you want is large powerful nations, however, you want members fast. So what do you choose? You choose the quick strategy of getting scores of members with low NS and the uncertainty of whether they will be loyal or not. unaligned nations are difficult because they know what they want after playing the game for months or years already. Nations like mine are the most difficult to target, but the most necessary to make your alliance bigger.

Hey there!

You have just created a nation and have begun to experiment with your new toy: buying infrastructure, technology, land, and soldiers and have probably noticed your nation rapidly expanding. Unfortunately you are not alone, in the next few weeks you will probably be attacked by raiders attempting to steal your land and technology, and for that reason you should think about joining an alliance. I would like you to consider the New Polar Order.

Our alliance offers you the chance to grow quickly through several different programs. If you are active in our community we will personally grow your nation to 4000 infrastructure through our Ski program. We also offer a vibrant tech dealing community where you can earn millions in profits. The New Polar Order prides itself on financial achievement. If this sounds interesting to you at all stop by at: http://polarorder.net/index.php

Rate us!

What's funny is though some people want to cut down and troll the thread (not you Metal), and yet, the majority want my help. Why would that be? Probably because I've seen almost 50 messages this week. And the bottomline is, the response I received earlier in this topic would have made me strike the alliance from the list. I dislike being trolled, and cut down. Also dislike when alliance members or players disrespect each other. I know its just a game, but have some tact.

As for the recruitment message, they want a rating eh? I like this one. Its different. You discuss tech and nation profits which is good. You also employ a strategy involving fear...in a way. The fear of raiders will make nations run to your alliance for protection. You've got a forum link...essential. Overall pretty good. The unique strategy puts you above many alliances that have sent out messages.

Edited by lmcfalcon12

I'm just saying. Don't counter the thread if you know nothing about what you're talking about.

This could constitute as another OOC attack.

And please try to find funnier messages if you're going to post it on the OWF.

This could constitute as another OOC attack.

And please try to find funnier messages if you're going to post it on the OWF.

Its not an OOC attack. CN forums have a PM box if you'd like to continue this discussion with me.

Let's get the topic back on track shall we?

My recommendation, ty345, would be to stop trying to find reasons to be angry. Those were not 'OOC attacks', they were statements of fact. If one finds that one's own deficiencies are being exposed then he should work to better himself, not just complain about them.

The purpose of this thread wasn't to amuse, but to inform. Granted some of it might be amusing but that's not the entire point.