Creating a Background In Rp..

Firestorm

I've been rping for several years in a variety of different RP scenes. I first started RPing in the old Mance realms of the Yahoo chat rooms and had oddles of fun raiding and pillaging the lamer Ayenee and Eden realms that inhabited other parts of Yahoo chat. I first did forum rp a few years ago and I found that I enjoyed it far more than chat room turn based role play. Mostly because I didn't have to spend hours and hours watching people spam chat rooms with one lined posts involving various anatomically impossible sex acts.

However, the one absolute constant in all of the role plays I've participated in are back stories. A back stories tells the story of your character and your nation. Without this story you have no real basis for your role play. In CNRP to many threads are scattered all over without any basis or foundation. Let me elaborate on this for clarity.

Example 1: Government of Ding Dang Dooey decides for some reason to go from a democracy to communism. This government up to this point has shown no signs dealing with a discontent population. It has no real reason to convert to communism and the decision has come as a total surprise to everyone.

- Now I'm not saying people should change their governments. But I do think people should role play out the reasons and actions that precipitate the change of government.

Example 2: Government of Boobie decides to attack the Govenment of Poopy. No real explanation is given and the government of Boobie seems to merely be jumping on a trivial excuse.

- Please people.. If you are going to go to war at least provide the IC credibility for a war. Explain why your government and people want to involve themselves in this sort of thing.

Example 3: Random announcement concerning totally random policy change with absolutely no warning.

- Umm.. k.. in the future maybe we should at least attempt to put some effort into our role play. Are we that lazy that we can go through the evolutionary process that starts with an idea and ends up with an entire storyline worthy of being read? Announcements concerning policy changes are legitimate in role play, but what of the need to explain the rationale behind the decision to make a change?

Example 4: Civil disorder for not apparent reason.

- Ok I'm sure it is possible that a frat party gone wild could explain a riot. But in the future I'd like to know why a country revolts against its government other than in the name of epic RP lulz and the compulsion to be the center of attention on the world and local scene. Please tell us through your story what prompted the people to set your King's house on fire and hang the guy from a lamp post.

A story line should have all the elements that clearly display the end result. It should build into the conclusion through the writing and telling of the story. The best part is no story really is the end, but merely it represents one or two small aspects of the entire picture.

Any questions?

kewl.. Flame on.

Edited by Firestorm

I wish I could RP more, but it's hard when you use either a mouseless computer or a Samsung Blackjack to do things.

That being said, you're one of the three writers I worship in CNRP, Firestorm. Hope you don't get fed up with our petty nitpicking.

Sumeragi, I only wish you would build your stories more. When you do write you have some fairly interesting this to say. Please, please, take the time to create a story line for your nation and rulers. I do look forward to reading it.

"Sir I bow...no...I am your eternal servant." She said dropping to the floor.

--

No but really Firestorm has it perfect. I have noticed in the past six month and sorry for anyone that I include, but a lot of people either don't have characters in their nations at all, or they are the run-of-the-mill President/Dictator/Communist Leader. While I don't think it is necessary to have to have a main character for a nation, the man is right about almost everything talked about here.

Example 1: People go though governments in this game like you change governments in Civilization for bonuses and truthfully that's why they do it in here. "I'm bored, I want a Communist Dictatorship from a Democracy." But the problem is, is the RP to do this lasts maybe two hours in Real Time. I mean even if your time scale is variably different from what most people use, at least drag it on for a few days, let some people participate or at least write the story for yourself. If you're the only one that wrote it, just print it out and give it to a publisher, win-win either way. But yeah, Democracy to Communism just because our glorious leader announced it, eh....weak RP.

Example 2: Now firestorm this is where I will start drifting from you because I think that countries sometimes do declare war for no apparent reason. However, the leaders normally have a decent idea about whats going one and why, so yes that could be rollplayed out. The problem is, is that if you start planning this the day before or something and you post it on the boards, the defending country who probably has no clue that this is going on will start building massive defenses. Meatgaming, but who could blame them if their being attacked by a country twice their size. So I guess if you have a massive first post that would work. And I'll be honest I would rather read dialogue then 20 pages of military reports.

Example 3: If you're declaring an anti-Communist policy, anti-Nordic pro-either or isolationism a post longer than two lines would be nice. You aren't forced, but it would be nice to read. Countries do go through what may seem like random changes, but at least explain why you're doing it, rather then just do it, done.

Example 4: My biggest pet peeve, guys, instability isn't a good thing. If you have a civil war or your country dissolves into anarchy there should be extreme consequences. Civil Wars today take countries out of the world stage for years and the massive amount of infrastructure that is damaged, well lets just say the South is still recovering in parts from the American Civil War. Also, I think the idea of the closed civil war RP is a stupid idea. Because while it is your RP, if there are countries around you, Comrade's Civil War in Molakia reminds me of this. The Nords would want to help the Nordic-supporters win. If not fighting directly, supplying arms and ammo, and when the Rebellion leader just says, no I'll handle this myself, even though he knows he's out manned and out gunned. Well...you get the picture. It just doesn't make sense.

We have some amazing writers here, amazing, and I think everyone here has the ability to become better than they are but remember. You are writing for an audience whether you like it or not and normally, even if someone hates you ICly, they will have a lot of respect for you OOCly if you can RP a great nation or a great war or a great whatever. Firestorm, I agree with you one-hundred percent.

Example 2: Now firestorm this is where I will start drifting from you because I think that countries sometimes do declare war for no apparent reason. However, the leaders normally have a decent idea about whats going one and why, so yes that could be rollplayed out. The problem is, is that if you start planning this the day before or something and you post it on the boards, the defending country who probably has no clue that this is going on will start building massive defenses. Meatgaming, but who could blame them if their being attacked by a country twice their size. So I guess if you have a massive first post that would work. And I'll be honest I would rather read dialogue then 20 pages of military reports.

I disagree in part because even if there is no apparent reason the actual build up for war takes more than a few posts. Everyone should have the reasonable chance to detect a possible attack. Metagaming can be kept out of the picture by coordinating between the two parties for a jointly written war with an agreed upon conclusion.

Massive walls of text posts if anything is just jumping the gun to get the drop on someone in a surprise attack. How often do surprise attacks go off well without extensive preparation?

RP it all out please, even if you do want to go renegade.

Yes that would be a nice thing, but some of us are not as good at writing, nor' have the time to think out a complete story line as you guys. For me to come up with stories as good as yours... would heavily intrude on my other activities.

I still say that the most fun I ever had here on this board was during last summer; far less rules, far less OOC fights, and the community was more friendly; but it was also quite smaller, and the "rules" used fit for only a small crowd.

I guess my final say is that I don't want to have to come up with a good RP for every little element of my nation. I myself also perfer to not be "super" realistic and dramaized stories.

EDIT:

I disagree in part because even if there is no apparent reason the actual build up for war takes more than a few posts. Everyone should have the reasonable chance to detect a possible attack. Metagaming can be kept out of the picture by coordinating between the two parties for a jointly written war with an agreed upon conclusion.

Massive walls of text posts if anything is just jumping the gun to get the drop on someone in a surprise attack. How often do surprise attacks go off well without extensive preparation?

RP it all out please, even if you do want to go renegade.

I agree with the bolded part most definetly.

Edited by JerreyRough

Jerrey, I'm in no way suggesting that anything I do be the community standard. Nor do I believe we need to rp out every single specific aspect of our nations either. I do believe our actions should have some foundation that is reflected by past role play.

I think when you were doing GDI that you did enough RP with it that the claim could be made that GDI was a global leader. I guess my suggestion for those who don't feel as competent or confident is to remember that myself and others really shouldn't judge anyone for the quality of their work, but more so for the effort put into it.

Just do the best you can and try to remember that it is all about having fun. If you have questions just ask them, and I hope the more experienced role players find it in themselves to give quality advice and feedback.

Jerrey, I'm in no way suggesting that anything I do be the community standard. Nor do I believe we need to rp out every single specific aspect of our nations either. I do believe our actions should have some foundation that is reflected by past role play.

I think when you were doing GDI that you did enough RP with it that the claim could be made that GDI was a global leader. I guess my suggestion for those who don't feel as competent or confident is to remember that myself and others really shouldn't judge anyone for the quality of their work, but more so for the effort put into it.

Just do the best you can and try to remember that it is all about having fun. If you have questions just ask them, and I hope the more experienced role players find it in themselves to give quality advice and feedback.

:wub:

...Which has given me an idea. A general RP advice thread could to wonders for us people less good at RP'ing.

I am hardly the best RPer, my posts aren't that long, but I have created several well-known characters.

Uberstein, Dr. Komeil (now controled by Agea), Commander Dodmann (Dead...lol), and Subtle's leader is the son of Uberstein though a multi-page RP. Already I have plans for Jokimahet to become a major character in my RP's.

The reason my offical statements are short is because I used real life countries as examples. When I was research Nepal's communist coup, I found the U.S's statement about it. It was one sentence long. :v:

People don't need to write epic RP's or anything, but I would like it if they remained consistent and stopped the metagaming.

:wub:

...Which has given me an idea. A general RP advice thread could to wonders for us people less good at RP'ing.

CNRP is somewhat more complex than normal character role play. This in part has a lot to do with the various statistics of nations and limitations imposed by them. I would be more than happy to help out with a general thread for character role play, but I'll leave the nation part of it to others.

Baron:

That's an interesting point, but real life examples generally don't fall in line with the motivations of my character. I base my policies off what I think my character would want, and not what outside OOC influences suggest. This of course has lead me down the path of some truly epic rp. * Fondly remembers some truly sick serial killer role play that ended up with the massacre of a day care center.

I try to focus on nation level RP, and issues at that level. Character RP to me has never appealed, however, due to the nature of the govt structure, some things can be twirled around due to character wishes.

Baron:

That's an interesting point, but real life examples generally don't fall in line with the motivations of my character. I base my policies off what I think my character would want, and not what outside OOC influences suggest. This of course has lead me down the path of some truly epic rp. * Fondly remembers some truly sick serial killer role play that ended up with the massacre of a day care center.

I'm talking about how I model my state addresses and such. I have had Uberstein give a big speech or two.

This mostly. A lot of my war RP posts come up as "blah blah blah hopes to kill them all" against something written beautifully like KM's posts.

It is merely a matter of consistently role playing and seeking to improve your trade craft. Practice.. practice.. practice...

Now, I don't claim to be perfect, but I always true to give some background or explanation for any action I take, something other than 'LOL, I'm bored.' Sometimes the explanation is OOC, and only later, if ever, do I manage to come up with an IC explanation. But I still try. And actually, I prefer character RP's to the nation-on-nation Rp's. But I still enjoy it all.

I'm trying to think right now, what reason I have to RP as I RP...But I don't have one. I Roleplay how I do because it evolved like that in the years that I've done roleplaying. Everyone gets a style, some a better one, some a worse one...And mine's restricted by english being my second language. :awesome:

But I realize now that I don't have anything really good to contribute here, other than asking: "I wonder if my style is fine."

lol. Sorry for being unable to contribute properly.

I'm trying to think right now, what reason I have to RP as I RP...But I don't have one. I Roleplay how I do because it evolved like that in the years that I've done roleplaying. Everyone gets a style, some a better one, some a worse one...And mine's restricted by english being my second language. :awesome:

But I realize now that I don't have anything really good to contribute here, other than asking: "I wonder if my style is fine."

lol. Sorry for being unable to contribute properly.

In answer to your question...yes, your RP style is not merely fine, it's WAY above par! Anything you do is most excellent, and if you hadn't ever mentioned English was your second language, I never would have guessed it.

I rp like that all the time firestorm. I'd say the vast majority of my RP stems from continuation of events. The only time I make up something on the spot is if a new RP calls for some new characters. Boom new characters found from within the pre-built RPs I got. I doubt anyone notices.

And your mother.

/in before snarky comments

In answer to your question...yes, your RP style is not merely fine, it's WAY above par! Anything you do is most excellent, and if you hadn't ever mentioned English was your second language, I never would have guessed it.
Lynneth, your English is impressive.

Yaaaay, you're making my ego grow.

34.png