Ragnarok cancellation announcement

You know, I can't help but love seeing all of these hegemony fellows whining about how those who are canceling on the NPO are "opportunistic." It's just delicious for so many reasons. Let's see now, half of them got their treaties with the hegemony as a reward for ditching an old ally when the good old boys decided to go after them. Not only that, but I remember several of them being lauded for their "maturity" and their "diplomatic savvy." I could say a bit more about that, but I'll leave it to someone else.

But yes, let's see now....why are people canceling on the NPO. Well, firstly the NPO does alienate most of its allies with its policies. In case you haven't noticed, they aren't exactly popular. Never have been. Quite frankly the only reason most people ever sign with the NPO is because for the longest time it was necessary for survival. Unless you were tied to them you had a big target on your back. Those days are over. These people most likely never even wanted to be an ally of the NPO to begin with. Why should they keep a treaty they do not have to? NPO is unable to attack any of those leaving them without triggering a war in which victory for them is not certain.

Yes, now, I'm digressing aren't I? The NPO is not on the verge of being rolled, so they aren't really being abandoned in their hour of need as some of you are trying to imply. Then again, the only people who are actually taking such nonsense seriously these days are the very ones spewing it. But who exactly is it now? Why the very leeches who latched onto the NPO. Who were allowed to suckle at its teat in exchange for betrayal or abandonment of friends.

You know, it is interesting to look at many of these alliances before and after they were allowed a kiddie chair at the hegemony's table. Most of them you would never hear a peep out of. Mild mannered alliances. Very respectful, and ever so passive. But once they get that treaty with the NPO, then they start running around acting like they're the single baddest thing to ever happen to this world. The change in demeanor is stagger. Take that single treaty away from them though, and then everything changes. They once again become themselves as they truly are. Small individuals, cowering before whoever holds power. Knowing that the only thing they'll ever be good for is sadly following the current power superstructure, like a rejected dog hounding its master, hoping that one day he might throw it a bone.

I spit laughing at you, you very people thinking you have the time of day to speak of honor, or loyalty, or any other desirable human trait. You people are nothing. Deny it as you will, but you know what I say to be true. RoK, FOK, VE, and all others doing what you condemn, you know that they are all worth more than you ever will be. You only dream of doing what they have all just done. So go right ahead, and pull up your soap box. Nobody of any consequence is listening to your incessant babbling.

You know, RV, I generally like you. I've not always liked you, but I certainly enjoyed when you stopped looking like one of the "bullies" (the kind of people you just spat laughing at?)

I hope I won't see you turning again to the dark side, albeit under a different flag, RV. Good luck with that.

Your essay (above) is certainly well written but also hard to be believed when you think that you're trying to summarize and explain hundreds of people's behaviour with just one rationale, and reason.

Pacifica has and had many allies. Each of us is unique and, sometimes, completely different from any of the others. RoK, FOK and VE are all fine people and I don't believe that they signed with the NPO just out of "opportunism", nor they and/or the global climate suddenly changed, woke up and "realized" that it was time for a shift.

I read Gen Lee's post, and VE's, FOK's (and others') cancellations notifications, and they all express positive feelings towards the NPO: are they all lying again?

If I were to buy your explanation, RV, I'd say that the alliances that remain allied with the NPO - when there's no need to do that anymore, according to you - are showing consistency and congruence (integrity?), while the ones cutting the ties are the "opportunists" of the situation.

Considering that FOK, VE and RoK (and "others") didn't change in just one night I'd be forced to conclude that they were just plain opportunists: the doubts about them would start smouldering in my heart.

Fortunately, RV, I don't agree with your explanation: the situation is much more complex than that - starting from the fact that there isn't just one situation, but many different ones - each with its own peculiarities.

(I openly admit that I am not even starting to scratch the surface of the political situation with this post: sorry. My point is just to criticize the "explanation"/"speech" quoted above, not to provide my own theory - that would be an horribly long read that nobody would want to deal with.)

*gets off his high horse*

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic