Neo Olympia activates the home guard militia

Vasili Markov

***Classified***

Effective immediately and until further notice the militia of Neo Olympia has been issued with weaponry.

All able-bodied men and women who have completed at least military basic training will be issued weapons and equipment suitable to the MOS (Military Occupation Speciality).

Militia members will carry on with their civilian duties but are to have their weapons within easy reach at all times if practical.

Compulsory refresher courses will be held at their battalion HQs.

Weaponry: NACiv-01 Assault rifle (AK-47 equivalent), 9mm pistol (officer issue), MG issued to 1:25 people, Bazooka issued to 1:50 people. Gas masks are standard issue for all civilian population & militia.

90% Light infantry, 5% Heavy infantry (standard army weapons), 5% other MOS (Medics, engineers, ect...)

OOC: I have compulsory national service as a policy and the majority of my citizens are veterans of the Nician Imperial Guard. They are militia so they do not have awesome weapons and no body armor, but it will be enough to "put a rifle behind every blade of grass" in a manner of speaking.

OOC:

[1:44pm]LeVentNoir: hey, are militas allowed?

[1:44pm] Sargun: no

[1:44pm] LeVentNoir: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=50505

[1:44pm] Sargun: go away

[1:44pm] LeVentNoir: cool

OOC: Unlucky considering there is no mention of dis allowing militias in the guidelines/rules and so until there is they are allowed not to mention if I decided to arm my citizens with guns there is nothing you can do about it.

OOC: Unlucky considering there is no mention of dis allowing militias in the guidelines/rules and so until there is they are allowed not to mention if I decided to arm my citizens with guns there is nothing you can do about it.

OOC: Did you see what the GM said?

No militias.

OOC: They will not actually fight. it will just stop a massacre and genocide RP from happening. Actual fighting value = zero, but citizens can now defend themselves realistic and prevent a total massacre. This is just flavour RP but if I am invaded bear in mind that people have guns. you can not dictate my national gun control policy since this would be controlling my nation for me. official policy: gun ownership is officially encouraged and sponsored.

[11:10] <Prime_Minister_Johns[NPO]> well am I just allowed to say my citizens are armed then. it is in keeping with my national RP. I am a military state.

[11:10] <Prime_Minister_Johns[NPO]> Not that it will have any actual effect.

[11:11] <Sargun> yeah

[11:11] <Sargun> you can do it, it just has little effect

[11:12] <Prime_Minister_Johns[NPO]> ok then

*The term militia is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service. Keeping in the spirit of a militia, the formula:

(max in-game soldier efficiency - max in-game soldier count = militia)

A militia will not have the same strength as a regular army. A 100,000 militia army (which is absurd) would have the strength of a 10,000 soldier army - militia is more powerful when spread out as an insurgency. Keep in mind that militias will be taken on as a case-by-case basis if there are issues and there is no blanket ruling other than the formula.

OOC: Have fun.

OOC: Yeah, but I mean as an army. Like, all together and fighting as a main force like we seem to do in RP. They'd be slaughtered - but as an insurgency or guerilla fighters, they might be more effective.

Just don't overdo it.

OOC: If someone is using militia as an offensive force I think il cry but as a defence force I can see them being a real problem.

That kind of makes sense, you can only deploy your standing army (those you actually pay upkeep for) overseas, but you can keep your reserves at home to defend it (everything else).

This is a lot more realistic. Smaller expeditionary forces, and militia reserves that can not move out of their home country.

:awesome:

OOC: 300,000 of which will probably instantly die and another 100k will then be ineffective :awesome:

OOC:

Wouldn't that depend on tactics used?

Decide the actual effectiveness of a militia in defence based on how they are used.

If they were used in a frontal counter-attack they would drop like flys, but if they faded into the civilian population and harassed the invader it might be more effective. or at least suffer less losses.

Edited by Vasili Markov

OOC: Militias have been proven to be excellent defenders... especially in a world that conforms to Rules of Engagements, etc. Without "total war" policies, they are actually superior in their role as guerrilla soldiers. Vasili Markov provided excellent examples of good militia-like organizations.

Edited by Quest07

OOC: Yeah, but I mean as an army. Like, all together and fighting as a main force like we seem to do in RP. They'd be slaughtered - but as an insurgency or guerilla fighters, they might be more effective.

Just don't overdo it.

OOC: This...

OOC: Milita general suck at tactics, and well anything in war. Glorified meatsheilds with guns.
OOC: The Vietcong and the Taliban are militias. and they were highly effective in defence.

OOC: Very true.

OOC: Militias have been proven to be excellent defenders... especially in a world that conforms to Rules of Engagements, etc. Without "total war" policies, they are actually superior in their role as guerrilla soldiers. Vasili Markov provided excellent examples of good militia-like organizations.

OOC: Yep. Not so good at standard tactics, they make excellent guerillas.