When do I start buying tech in tech trades?

PsylentStorm

Hi, I tried searching the forums to no avail.

I was trying to figure at approximately what tech level should i start purchasing tech through trade instead of purchasing it out on my own. The CN FAQ wasn't too descriptive on the price of tech. And the CN guide stickied on this forum gave a rough estimate, but I'm sure it also depends on your tech discounts. Plus I wanted to know why they say at ~150 tech. So I used MrFixItOnline's tech calculator to figure out the formula. For the most part, I noticed that the price of tech went up $1K every level (eg, going from 33 tech to 34 tech), but there are certain thresholds where it makes a noticeable price jump (from what i figured out so far, at levels {5, 10, 15, 30, 50, 75, 100, 150, etc}.

Since there doesn't seem to be a pattern to them, does anyone know where I can find these tech jumps?

I guess it's just as helpful to tell me at what tech level I should start purchasing tech through tech deals, but it's nice to know the math behind the number.

I know it may depend on what resources and improvements I have... I think I have all the tech discounters: gold, microchips, and 2 universities (making my tech cost 69.92% of the original cost).

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by PsylentStorm

You are not advised to buy tech before 3000 infra minimum (4000 ideally, 5000 for GPA standards).

You should buy the first 100-200 tech, in order to avoid the hassle if you intend to start building up on tech. My suggestion is to get 1000 more infra before you start this process. I personally started at 6000 infra, and bought my own 250 tech in one sitting.

At 2,999 or so infra (depending on your alliance)

Buy 5 sets of 50 tech and get different friends in your alliance to hold them for you for 10 days.

Then buy another 50 tech.

After 10 days do an improvement swap, and ask to get all 250 tech back at once.

You'll have 300 tech (max eco benefit) and be able to collect your 10 days taxes with the new economic benefit. At that point on it'll be easier for your nation to grow, as you'll be collecting a greater amount in taxes.

Good Luck,

On your never ending quest for tech.

Edited by Blacky

You'll have 300 tech (max eco benefit) ...

This isn't quite true. As far as basic economic benefit, it stops at 200 at which point you will have received all the happiness tech will provide until you can buy Wonders.

Technology = 0 then happiness = -1

Technology > 0 and <= .5 then happiness = +0

Technology > .5 and <= 1 then happiness = +1

Technology > 1 and <= 3 then happiness = +2

Technology > 3 and <= 6 then happiness = +3

Technology > 6 and <= 10 then happiness = +4

Technology > 10 and <= 15 then happiness = +5

Technology > 15 then happiness = + 5 + (Tech purchased * .02) up to level 200 tech

Once you can buy the Great University it will extend the tech limit which will receive a happiness bonus to all tech above 200 and less than 3000 tech (+2 happiness per 1000) and the Scientific Development Center will up the limit further to 5000 tech.

Also tech is useful in reducing the upkeep on infrastructure per the following formula.

Technology decreases infrastructure upkeep costs up to a maximum 10% discount based on the following formula: (2 * Technology Level) / Nation Strength = Percent off infrastructure upkeep bill.

Could be, I don't know what amount of pure tech is needed to get above 90% literacy for the Scholars since you usually have the schools and universities by then and you'll reach the 90% mark before you reach the 300 tech mark. It takes around 400 tech with the schools and universities to max at 100%.

Also depends on your alliance. At MFO we tailored tech costs to your ability to pay (when you're in between being at seller age and buyer age. but this was only for non-sellers). Of course, at that time we also spent like $3mil/50 tech for our higher nations.

Of course, we now manage to convince more people to sell, so when they're done selling they send aid packages to loyal customers, buy their own 200 tech or so, and get another 500-600 tech sent back from all the guys they sent packages to.