Border Walls

Assassin Xaero

Yes, figure out what 2% of your population is. Take that figure and multiple by what you citizens pay in taxes. This is how much you would lose by buying the Border Walls. Now figure out how much benefit the +2 happiness will give you. With full economic improvements, it's worth either $2.32 (at 28% tax rate) or $2.49 (at 30% tax rate). Multiply the benefit by the number of citizens remaining after you deducted the 2%. Which number is higher?

Edited by Count Rupert

Yes, figure out what 2% of your population is. Take that figure and multiple by what you citizens pay in taxes. This is how much you would lose by buying the Border Walls. Now figure out how much benefit the +2 happiness will give you. With full economic improvements, it's worth either $2.32 (at 28% tax rate) or $2.49 (at 30% tax rate). Multiply the benefit by the number of citizens remaining after you deducted the 2%. Which number is higher?

And if you're improvement swapping, you also have to take into account the cost of buying the border wall every time. The number of days you save your tax collections will affect this.

Alright, thanks for the help. One thing though...

With full economic improvements, it's worth either $2.32 (at 28% tax rate) or $2.49 (at 30% tax rate).

I had my 6 month anniversary yesterday. With it, I had 65.31 happiness and my Avg. Gross Income was $361.69. I check this morning, my happiness was at 61.28 and my Avg. Gross Income was $344.94. Found the difference of those to be $16.75, and since I only had a +4 happiness boost (or whatever you would call it), divided that by 4 (well, 4.03 to be exact), and got $4.15 per +1 happiness... any idea how that worked out?

I had my 6 month anniversary yesterday. With it, I had 65.31 happiness and my Avg. Gross Income was $361.69. I check this morning, my happiness was at 61.28 and my Avg. Gross Income was $344.94. Found the difference of those to be $16.75, and since I only had a +4 happiness boost (or whatever you would call it), divided that by 4 (well, 4.03 to be exact), and got $4.15 per +1 happiness... any idea how that worked out?

Improvements modify the base amount of the happiness.

The values I posted were your income, not gross income based on 2 happiness points with full economic modification from improvements. Thus each point was worth $4.15 or $8.30 of gross income for both, which when multipled by the two possible tax rates of 28% and 30% returns the $2.32 and $2.49 quoted. The extra 15 cents is the .03 happiness difference factoring out the +4 happiness for the anniversary which was probably due to changes in the GRL.

I hope this does not constitute a gravedig, but this thread was partly useful towards anwering my questions, and it seems as good as posting a new topic on mostly the same subject.

When is a good time to buy Border Walls in the first place? I got one early because at that point I needed a happiness boost, I wanted the environmental boost, and I also wanted one for RP purposes. I know it was probably not 'ideal', but it killed a couple of birds with one stone for me. I also put the extra $50k I saved by not buying a stadium at that point into infrastructure. I've been thinking these are a possible alternative to stadiums? I have also been thinking I would rather build these earlier, to take less of a population hit, by buying them BEFORE clinics and a hospital.

I'm sure there are math whizzes out there who can explain where I am wrong with this, and I would love to hear any thoughts people have on the subject, since I am just lousy with the math. :blink: Any opinions?

Thaks Gambit. The links were helpful. Still not sure if getting another one would be worth it, instead of a stadium; all those discussions assume much larger countries and all other economic improvements built already. I'm obviously considering them way earlier then other people.

So this 2% pop loss; if I were to disband the one I have now, I would gain 2% population? Is that how it works, like a resource does?

IMO you should most definantly get stadiums first and Bw's later, but every nation is different it could be better for you to just keep your BW and not buy any more till your a larger nation. As far as i know it good to have a higer Pop. count (for taxes and war) for a smaller nation but whe nyou get bigger then it doesnt matter as much. For me im at 5,799.99 infra and have 3 BW's iv'e bought the 4th BW about 3 times but all those time it did not help my nation so i deleted them.

I'm at 48 improvements at the moment. I have 2 more Intelligence Agencies to buy then from 51-55K I will buy border walls.

It will take me about twice as long to buy them due to losing 1K+ population each border wall but I will only have military improvements left to buy then so I'm not in a rush.