The Montevideo Conference on Biological and Chemical Weaponry

Zoot Zoot

The Republic of Ceylon representative took a few notes before speaking up. " In the past it has seemed the superpowers have been very effective in removing both biological and chemical threats. While we would support a ban on the weapons and even embargoes on those nations that choose to make these weapons Ceylon would be hesitant on a military strike to remove these threats unless they posed an immediate threat such has being hours away from being launched." OOC: Horo I would just shut up every time you bring it back up you prove zoots point.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1327603660' post='2907446']
Alice was begining to lose her temper with the two bickering delegates.
"Will you both please shut up, and grow up unless it is vital to this discussion. Take your childish sniping elsewhere if you want to continue. I will not have such pathetic displays of petulance in my bloody conference hall. Back to the topic at hand, we all agree biological weaponry should be forbidden. I believe that should be our cornerstone for any attempts to build on what we have achieved so far at this meeting, would you agree?"
[/quote]

"I will be taking my leave as this pointless conference has lead to insults from rather childish leaders." Amy Pond picked up her stuff and left the rather low key meeting.

As the Chancellor stormed out Tanaka just shook his head at the spectacle thinking to himself. How was it possible for delegates and national leaders to act in this manner? Maybe it was just his training, no soldier he new would do anything this idiotic and childish. Oh well, he thought, that's the difference between a soldier and a civilian. [i]"I suggest we all calm down before this gets out of hand"[/i] he said in a reasonable tone. "Perhaps a small break is necessary for us to clear our heads and continue this discussion?"

Edited by Altarian Republic

[i]"Well I think it would be very difficult to enforce a complete worldwide ban on Biological weapons. As stated earlier most nations try to keep such developments as low profile as possible. The use of military force against a nation that may be developing these weapons would most likely be counterproductive and will most likely lead to the use of such weaponry. On top of that most nations don't have the ability or the will to be party to a worldwide crusade. The suggestion of using economic sanctions sounds better but how effective would that really be? Most nations have a fair degree of self sufficiency and therefore wouldn't be hurt much by these measures. An attempt to blockade or invade a country could have further negative repercussions as well. While there are several large powers here there are others that aren't present and I don't think they would really appreciate interference in their areas of influence."[/i] The general paused to drink some water before continuing.

[i]"That being said I know I have made it sound impossible to do something about this but that simply isn't true. Regional powers, neighboring nations and even superpowers can exert an diplomatic influence upon a nation developing these weapons. We must encourage them to abandon the development of such weaponry through a unified diplomatic effort. When they see the amount of nations against them in this issue they will be pressured into abandoning these weapons. That being said I know that this will not always work and, in that case, more clandestine methods may be required if the situation warrants it. Usage of intelligence services or special forces in a situation where development is ongoing and a usage of such weaponry is likely would be preferable to utilizing conventional forces. Again, I do want to emphasize that all approaches must be exhausted before any such action is taken."[/i]

A representative from the Winter Contingency spoke up. "It is our position that the usage of chemical and biological weaponry is equivalent to nuclear bombardment in its' severity and thus categorize our stockpile as a defense-only weapon. We denounce the usage of these weapons as anything but a deterrent to invasion or area-denial weapon to defend against invasion. The tragedy of the fall of the Holy American Empire is all the reason we have to not only devote large amounts of credits to the development of immunizations, but also the constant improvement upon and eventual perfection of the human immune system.

[i]"I propose that the nation's here make a binding pledge to ban the development and study of biological weapons for anything other than preventive medical research. I suppose some nations may differ over their feelings about chemical weapons but I believe almost everyone here has reached the same consensus about biological weapons. We can work out what can be done for nations not present later but we must first set an example for others to follow before we can do that."[/i]

[quote name='Altarian Republic' timestamp='1327957752' post='2910825']
[i]"I propose that the nation's here make a binding pledge to ban the development and study of biological weapons for anything other than preventive medical research. I suppose some nations may differ over their feelings about chemical weapons but I believe almost everyone here has reached the same consensus about biological weapons. We can work out what can be done for nations not present later but we must first set an example for others to follow before we can do that."[/i]
[/quote]

"I can agree to this concession. What does everyone else think?" said Alice as she watched the Avalon delegation leave.