The Montevideo Conference on Biological and Chemical Weaponry

Zoot Zoot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327392884' post='2906090']
"So it's a problem because it kills them in a way you don't like? That is the very nature of war - to see people torn from you as a suffering, screaming wreck. Tell you what - let's ban Nuclear weapons as well, and perhaps the original ban will gain more support."
[/quote]

"To prevent severe, physical human suffering is the goal here. I wouldn't mind trying a ban but almost every nation who has nuclear weapons will not give them up. Plus, it will make us in the west looking weak to the east."

[quote name='PresidentDavid' timestamp='1327406924' post='2906126']
"To prevent severe, physical human suffering is the goal here. I wouldn't mind trying a ban but almost every nation who has nuclear weapons will not give them up. Plus, it will make us in the west looking weak to the east."
[/quote]
"Well, have a worldwide blanket ban for Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Weaponry. Considering how Nuclear weaponry is more devastating in some aspects, compared to Biological in Chemical, they should be included in this, as well."

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327327515' post='2905472']
"Why have the ban? If nations are warring each other, what is the problem in using a weapon that produces results in the field? War is not about happu playing along, leaving people to spend a happy time in hospital. No, people [b]die[/b]. There is no difference in a weapon that will carve its way through a body, to a weapon that suffocates large groups of people. There should either be a ban on all forms of war, which is infeasible, or there should be no bans or the like placed on any possible weapon. If a nation is happy with a unilateral ban, then there is no problem with that. However, other nations would likely be willing to use these weapons." said Feldt Grace of Yoitsu.
[/quote]

"The reasons for outlawing biological weapons should be obvious, but there are also valid reasons for restricting the use of chemical weapons. For instance the half life of compounds employed in various area denial chemical weapons systems can leave an environment contaminated and uninhabitable for decades; long after the reasons behind the war have faded into irrelevance. That said I still consider this proposal completely unnecessary given existing international custom and the unilateral bans already in place." - Michael Atrevier, Councilor Superior of Avalon

Edited by iamthey

The Union of Arctica opposes the use of all biological weapons and the use of chemical weapons against civilians or outside of a tactical role.

It has adopted the WMD policy of the old Sydney Convention as its official policy.

Alice watched the debate for and against the weapons unfold as several representatives began speaking up. She looked towards Michael Atrevier and spoke.
"Councilor Atrevier, you speak of international custom and unilateral bans, yet, I just gave several examples that I have witnessed happen within the last decade, I have not even mentioned the other usages of biological and chemical weapons. Unilateral bans and international custom mean nothing to the nations that are producing such weaponry and continuing to expand their stockpiles. So I apologise, but I must disagree with your opinion. The Arctican delegate has my own opinion down to a tee with his own statement, and unless I am wrong, it was Arctica that helped contain the first outbreak of a weaponised Ebola agent on my homeland and even provided aid to the people after it was over." she continued, looking at several representatives to emphasise her point. Looking once against around the room she continued.

"The Sydney Convention in my opinion is old and outdated, it is not in line with the nature of modern warfare and weaponry today. If you look towards the rear of the folders on your tables, you fill find enclosed copies of the original Sydney Convention Document. Its touch on Biological weapons is an outright ban, Nuclear and Chemical weapons are permissable. The aim of this conference is to ban the future development of chemical and biological weapons and reduce the stockpiles of existing chemical weapon holding nations. The stance of Biological weapons remain the same. Utterly illegal and I would like to hear some suggestions as to how this treaty and its signators would go about enforcing the laws placed down on paper, should it come to pass, without resorting to warfare which could lead to the deployment and usage of the weaponry?"

[b]OOC[/b]
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=63514&view=findpost&p=1714091
[b]Sydney Convention[/b]

We in New Panama unilaterally agree that there should be an enforcable worldwide law put in place to stop the proliferation of biological and chemical weapons. We would gladly sign such a document that would make this a reality.

Furthermore, we feel it might be a good idea for all nations that feel the same as us to initiate a shared centre for disease control where we can work together to find cures against such biological weapons. Should a cure be discovered we also feel the information needed to manufacture it should be put into the public domain.

"Nuclear weapons are not the topic of debate at this conference. I know for a fact, not one country on this earth will give up their nuclear weaponry, because nuclear terrorism, rogue states, rogue janitors, rogue submarines and just trigger happy warlords, all like pressing the big red button. I know I certainly wont give up my nuclear weaponry, because in the event that my people are struck by nuclear weapons, I can respond in kind and inflict as much suffering on them, as they have to me. That is something I believe most leaders will agree on, be it in private or in public. But biochemical weapons have no place on the battlefield or indeed against civilian populations and I have yet to hear a feasable solution as to how we could enforce a ban without resorting to military action. Military action would obviously be the last resort to remove the threat. But I want to know steps leading up to military action so we cannot say we did not try every diplomatic method before going to extremes. Sanctions, blockade, embargo, diplomatic pressure and so on and so forth."

"Out of experience with our own doctrines we have learned that a decisive enforcement by immediately resorting to warfare has led to a long period where no biological weapons have been used, for a fact this is still ongoing as the last attack using biological weapons dates back years."

"That may be so, and it has prooven to be very effective, but war is costly in lives and is a great evil, and if it can be avoided, then all avenues of diplomacy should be exhausted before any such military strike. That is of course, unless nation X is hours from launching a massive biochemical attack, in which case, the immediate threat to the worlds population is enough of a casus belli to initiate such a lightening strike."

"Gallifrey will support the ban of chemical weapons for obvious reasons, I don't even see why THAT is being debated. But honestly decommissioning nukes is not going to happen any time soon and the two are unrelated. Sure a nuclear missile can be extremely devastating I'm not saying it isn't, but a chemical weapon leading to a disease outbreak is a completely different topic." Amy Pond took her seat.

Alice was begining to lose her temper with the two bickering delegates.
"Will you both please shut up, and grow up unless it is vital to this discussion. Take your childish sniping elsewhere if you want to continue. I will not have such pathetic displays of petulance in my bloody conference hall. Back to the topic at hand, we all agree biological weaponry should be forbidden. I believe that should be our cornerstone for any attempts to build on what we have achieved so far at this meeting, would you agree?"

General James Tanaka was the American Commonwealth's leading expert on NBC weaponry due to his previous service with NBC units in the Pravus Ingruo military. Selected primarily for his expertise in the field he was asked to attend the conference instead of a normal diplomat and so there he was in his full dress uniform mainly listening to some "scientist" spout something about the usefulness of biological weaponry. The real reason he was to observe the proceedings and see if there would be any useful information to be gained. Nonetheless he would contribute to the debate.

[i]"Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is General Tanaka of the American Commonwealth Army. I've heard many valid points in this argument and I will say that in my 20 years working in the NBC field I have found that I've developed a general dislike for such weaponry and a particular disgust for bio weapons"[/i] gesturing towards the representative from Yoitsu. [i]"As such I can tell you my nation will support a ban on biological weaponry. However, I feel that the notions of taking unilateral military action against nations possessing such weapons goes a bit further than we can support."[/i]

[quote name='Altarian Republic' timestamp='1327606333' post='2907466']
[i]"Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is General Tanaka of the American Commonwealth Army. I've heard many valid points in this argument and I will say that in my 20 years working in the NBC field I have found that I've developed a general dislike for such weaponry and a particular disgust for bio weapons"[/i] gesturing towards the representative from Yoitsu. [i]"As such I can tell you my nation will support a ban on biological weaponry. However, I feel that the notions of taking unilateral military action against nations possessing such weapons goes a bit further than we can support."[/i]
[/quote]
"I concur - Military action against a Biologically armed nation is a double-edged sword; whilst it would serve as a detterant, the offending nation would likely go on to use those weapons against the "Peacekeeping" nations. At the very least, offending nations should have trade sanctions and be removed from positions of power, such as the "Grand Council", although that could possibly spark weapon usage, as well.

Also, concerning 'childish sniping', I would suggest you learn to keep a lid on your temper. The points I made in respect to Miss. Pond's slip of the tongue were perfectly valid. Do try think before you speak, next time."

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327607190' post='2907477']
"I concur - Military action against a Biologically armed nation is a double-edged sword; whilst it would serve as a detterant, the offending nation would likely go on to use those weapons against the "Peacekeeping" nations. At the very least, offending nations should have trade sanctions and be removed from positions of power, such as the "Grand Council", although that could possibly spark weapon usage, as well.

Also, concerning 'childish sniping', I would suggest you learn to keep a lid on your temper. The points I made in respect to Miss. Pond's slip of the tongue were perfectly valid. Do try think before you speak, next time."
[/quote]

"You and Miss Pond are the ones behaving like children, not me. Not unless you have anything else to say regarding the topic at hand, then shut up. If you wish to trade insults with me or Miss Pond, then I will gladly wait for you in my office after this conference. No I am not being sarcastic either. Bickering is detremental to the aims of this conference and I will not allow it. Continue and I will have you removed from this meeting and a script of the conference sent to your office back in Siberia should you request it." she snapped before turning to General Tanaka.

"General, I was wondering when you would speak up, it has been some time since a uniformed officer has been to one of my meetings, your straight forward attitude is refreshing after previous statements" she said, looking at Feldt Grace as she finished before continuing.
"Unilateral military action as a first step towards disarming or preventing a nation with biological capibilities is as I previously said, something I would be very wary about commiting my people for. I must insist that anything that comes to paper, make clear, war is the last option after all other diplomatic channels fail, with a clause to specify however, that if said Nation/Organisation poses a serious and immediate threat, that no other course of action other than military action is deemed viable, then, and only then, can a military strike be legal."

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1327614234' post='2907580']
"Not unless you have anything else to say regarding the topic at hand, then shut up. [/quote]
[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327607190' post='2907477']
"I concur - Military action against a Biologically armed nation is a double-edged sword; whilst it would serve as a detterant, the offending nation would likely go on to use those weapons against the "Peacekeeping" nations. At the very least, offending nations should have trade sanctions and be removed from positions of power, such as the "Grand Council", although that could possibly spark weapon usage, as well."
[/quote]
OOC: I can help you find an Optician if you are incapable of finding one yourself.

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327619150' post='2907643']
OOC: I can help you find an Optician if you are incapable of finding one yourself.
[/quote]

OOC
You continued to make remarks and you got clever with my leader. I dont appreciate purely OOC posts in my threads. Please refrain from doing it. Feel free to edit and make that an ICly comment.

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1327619799' post='2907650']
OOC
You continued to make remarks and you got clever with my leader. I dont appreciate purely OOC posts in my threads. Please refrain from doing it. Feel free to edit and make that an ICly comment.
[/quote]
Feldt bobbed her head slightly while she waited for the next representative to speak.

OOC: What remarks? The first one was informing your leader that she had anger issues, but you seem to think that there are some proceeding that.