The Montevideo Conference on Biological and Chemical Weaponry

Zoot Zoot

OOC
Dont post travelling and !@#$, just post being present for the meeting IN your seat so we dont get two pages of people holding the thread up by arriving late.

IC

Foreign Offices around the world in the many nations dotted acros the Earth would be delivered a message from the Corporate Territories of Uruguay and South Brazil inviting them to Montevideo to discuss the creation of an agreement in regards to Biological and Chemical weapons.

[quote]From: Chancellor Alice Wesker of the Corporate Territories of Uruguay and South Brazil

To: Whom it may concern,

My esteemed associates of the world stage, I invite you to Montevideo to attend a conference with the aim of coming to a universal agreement to emplace a ban on Biological and reduced stockpiles of Chemical Weaponry for Nations with existing stockpiles, and place a ban on its development for those Nations without. Of course this is simply a brief summary of my goals for this conference and it will be expanded on when the conference begins next week.

Sincerley

A. Wesker[/quote]

[b]One Week Later[/b]

Alice sat in the conference room and briefly read over her notes before begining.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, thankyou for coming today. I wish to raise the issue of biological and chemical weaponry in the world today. I have found that when a war breaks out in the world today, chemical agents can be found on almost every battlefield, they are the biggest scourge of modern warfare with the exception of nuclear weaponry. As nuclear weapons seem to be the main deterrant of many nations here, myself included, I wont even bring those into the dicussion. However, not only do Chemical weapons kill and maime thousands, with possible genetic problems for offspring and health problems later in life, biological weapons are worse. Whilst I have personally experienced two Biological outbreaks, being an Island nation at the time, it aided in quarantine, at the cost of the islands people. Not many years ago, a Canadian nation was devestated by a biological attack which killed nearly half a million people before the regions extreme cold killed it off. I have asked you all here today so that we can ban these weapons and enforce the price to be paid for developing them. Please share your thoughts and opinions".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Vasterborg, the Bureau Chief for the South American Desk of Sweden's Commission of International Affairs and Trade, would be sent to attend this conference with a small delegation, taking a seat as proceedings began. Sweden's foreign policy elite were interested in the topic matter of the conference, but they were also interested in who would be in attendance and what they would be bringing to the table at this interesting event.

A representative of the Kingdom of Manticore took a seat and began by studying the other people before she took out a personal data assistant and made a few notes before putting it in her lap and turning her attention back to the Lady Chancellor Amy Pond who had begun speaking. "Madam before we begin discussing such a main point of this proposal may I enquire if anyone has any information on previous chemical and biological weapons used, as to let us that haven't experienced such weapons a chance to see what we are combatting?" replied the Manticore representative.

[b]OOC
I am just assuming everyone in CNRP has a representative present, so consider this open to everyone, but only post as if you have somebody actually in the room. Any other form of posting will not be considered canon and will be ignored.[/b]

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1327246520' post='2904753']
A representative of the Kingdom of Manticore took a seat and began by studying the other people before she took out a personal data assistant and made a few notes before putting it in her lap and turning her attention back to the Lady Chancellor Amy Pond who had begun speaking. "Madam before we begin discussing such a main point of this proposal may I enquire if anyone has any information on previous chemical and biological weapons used, as to let us that haven't experienced such weapons a chance to see what we are combatting?" replied the Manticore representative.
[/quote]

Alice turned to Amy Pond and said "That is what this conference has been convened to discuss. I will not deliberate matters or overstep my mark until the topic at hand has been discussed at length and so all here fully understand the gravity of these weapons." Turning to the Manticoran representative Alice continued.

"Chemical Weapons have been used extensivly across the world. The great American war of liberation against Tahoe, VX nerve gas was used extensivly by the Canadians and Tahoe, In Europe, Portugal and Great Britain also exchanged VX and Sarin barrages. In Africa, when the Ivory Coast attacked Great Britain and its allies, Sarin and VX was again used. These are but the tip of the iceberg. Several years ago, a Canadian nation was exposed to a Biological agent known as Ebolapox. It has a 80%+ mortality rate, no cure and is highly contagious in the right environment. Even in the Arctic North it killed close to half a million people before it died out. I myself have survived two biological attacks/outbreaks of biological weaponry on the Falkland Islands. The XY virus eleminates the brains seratonin production aswell as sharing traits of mad cow disease, making it transferrable by fluids. This virus is fast, sometimes lethal, highly deadly. Victims turn into rage filled beasts with no other urge but to kill, injure or maime. The Corporate Territories confiscated three vials of this weapon from the war criminal Albert Wesker on his death. We are presently trying to create a cure so that we can clean up the Falklands and restore its people to a sense of normality. But that is a story for another time. My personal experience of biological and chemical weaponry is what is driving me to try and enact a ban on the production of biological and chemical weapons and a reduced, fixed stockpile of chemical weaponry for those nations already holding stockpiles."

Taking a sip of her water, she contnued.

"Athens and the Horde already have such protocols, though official to them, and they by law have no legal right to do so. BUT, if this conference works, and we come away with something on paper, then it will be enshrined in what little international law exists on this world and will be upheld lawfully and efficiently. I will make it no secret that even if this conference fails, I will be enforcing laws similar to Athens and Bejing on the matter at hand, and if needs be, will take action into my own hands to ensure biological and chemical weapons stay where they belong, in the pipedreams of the insane and dillusional."

"The proposed ban is ultimately symbolic in our judgment and would unnecessarily add the veneer of legal legitimacy to what is efficiently and effectively established current practice. The current state of affairs already drives nations to conceal such programs and in the case of a competent credible threat, knowledge of Chemical Weapons development and use would only come to light in genuine conflict likely where the nation in question faced an existential threat. As war with and the annihilation of any violating nation is the only true mechanism for enforcement, this ban could only really enter the picture as a reactionary measure against targets who already stand to be destroyed in ongoing conflict. To this end we consider the proposed treaty unnecessary, and consider the status quo of unilateral bans sufficient to suppress the practice of chemical and biological warfare." - Michael Atrevier, Councilor Superior of Avalon

Edited by iamthey

"Why have the ban? If nations are warring each other, what is the problem in using a weapon that produces results in the field? War is not about happu playing along, leaving people to spend a happy time in hospital. No, people [b]die[/b]. There is no difference in a weapon that will carve its way through a body, to a weapon that suffocates large groups of people. There should either be a ban on all forms of war, which is infeasible, or there should be no bans or the like placed on any possible weapon. If a nation is happy with a unilateral ban, then there is no problem with that. However, other nations would likely be willing to use these weapons." said Feldt Grace of Yoitsu.

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327327515' post='2905472']
"Why have the ban? If nations are warring each other, what is the problem in using a weapon that produces results in the field? War is not about happu playing along, leaving people to spend a happy time in hospital. No, people [b]die[/b]. There is no difference in a weapon that will carve its way through a body, to a weapon that suffocates large groups of people. There should either be a ban on all forms of war, which is infeasible, or there should be no bans or the like placed on any possible weapon. If a nation is happy with a unilateral ban, then there is no problem with that. However, other nations would likely be willing to use these weapons." said Feldt Grace of Yoitsu.
[/quote]

"So, you support the use of weaponry that, if used, could kill the entire planet by releasing it for one conflict, because it has no cure? If so, then I question your sanity. When one releases biological weapons into another nation, it has the potential of not only producing results in a limited conflict, it has the potential of producing a result of the destruction of humankind," noted Per Vasterborg, an eyebrow cocked into the air while he responded.

"There is a difference between a bullet and bioweaponry, one can kill a single soldier, the other can bring the extinction of an entire species."

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1327318927' post='2905453']
[b]OOC; I am just assuming everyone in CNRP has a representative present, so consider this open to everyone, but only post as if you have somebody actually in the room. Any other form of posting will not be considered canon and will be ignored.
[/quote]
OOC:[/b] Consider me absent, as Croatia has other more pressing matters and sees little use for limiting research on chemical substances.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327327515' post='2905472']
[/quote]

"If you honestly can not see how a biological weapon is different from a bullet I question not just your sanity but the leaders who gave you a leading role."

"I also agree with the representative from the Corporate Territories, these weapons have no place in this world. Should a ban be implemented I can guarantee the dedication of the Hellenic Forces in enforcing it globally."

Smiling at the show of support from the Swedes and the Athenians, the representative from Yoitsu who supported the usage of biological and chemical weapons however had left a sour taste in her mouth.

"Feldt Grace, your comments disturb me greatly, I cant speak for others in the room, but after personally surviving, barely, two biological attacks and have experienced first hand the collapse of my homeland and the destruction of almost ninety percent of its population, I hold you in contempt. Your ignorance is something of a blessing I guess. I hope you never see what I have seen, many diplomats in this room, will be safe in their own ignorance. But one needs only to look at the histories to see the devestation wreaked by these weapons. Biological weapons can indeed wipe out this species if the agent was designed as such, Ebolapox was designed with the ultimate aim of killing billions of people as you can see from the photocopies of the contents of my late fathers briefcase. The contents of which will be copied and sent to any Government who requests to see the finer and more intricate arts of biological weaponry in the hopes of creating vaccinations and cures for the more advanced weapons of war. As for this conference and and its goals being merely symbolic, I must disagree and insist that if your attitude towards such a serious issue as this, then feel free to leave. I truly believe that through deliberation, some form of binding law will be made from this conference for the betterment of mankind."

Drinking from her water once again she finished by adding "What are the collective thoughts and propositions from we gathered here today in regards to the matter at hand?"

"The Athenian Federation feels that biological weapons should not be allowed under any circumstance. The only production allowed should be in quantities sufficient to work on cures and vaccinations. On Chemical Weapons we have a slightly different opinion as they are not weapons that can get out of control like biological weapons can. That said I do believe its use should be held at the same standards as that of nuclear weapons and that stockpiles shoud be as low as possible."

"A nation that uses biological weapons is foolish - as has been stated, use of the weapons would likely backfire on the nation that uses them, alongside the fact that they are [b]terribly[/b] inefficient as a weapon. Chemical weaponary, on the other hand, would not have these effects.

You make claims I "lack sanity". As a scientist, I can only give the same unto you. Both will kill you in varying degrees, but the problem that people seem to have is that a Biological weapon could cause a Pandemic. And yet, the same could be replicated with any "moral" weapon - the Pandemic that is weaponary in general is yet to be cured.

People only wish for a ban because they believe that it would protect them. Because they cannot be bothered to research any kind of defence towards a matter, they decide to outright ban it. That kind of decision will leave your nation on its knees, once one single nation decides to exploit the weakness you will create and broadcast to the entire world."

OOC: You're all against Biological & Chemical weapons? Wow.

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327342745' post='2905590']
"A nation that uses biological weapons is foolish - as has been stated, use of the weapons would likely backfire on the nation that uses them, alongside the fact that they are [b]terribly[/b] inefficient as a weapon. Chemical weaponary, on the other hand, would not have these effects.

You make claims I "lack sanity". As a scientist, I can only give the same unto you. Both will kill you in varying degrees, but the problem that people seem to have is that a Biological weapon could cause a Pandemic. And yet, the same could be replicated with any "moral" weapon - the Pandemic that is weaponary in general is yet to be cured.

People only wish for a ban because they believe that it would protect them. Because they cannot be bothered to research any kind of defence towards a matter, they decide to outright ban it. That kind of decision will leave your nation on its knees, once one single nation decides to exploit the weakness you will create and broadcast to the entire world."

OOC: You're all against Biological & Chemical weapons? Wow.
[/quote]

"That is why if you would bother to listen you would notice all proposals include the exception of research to counter their effects, however the stockpiles needed to use them and the stockpiles needed to research defenses are quite different in size. I have to seriously questrion your credentials as a scientist if you can truly claim conventional weapons and diseases are basically the same."

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1327343677' post='2905605']
"That is why if you would bother to listen you would notice all proposals include the exception of research to counter their effects, however the stockpiles needed to use them and the stockpiles needed to research defenses are quite different in size. I have to seriously questrion your credentials as a scientist if you can truly claim conventional weapons and diseases are basically the same."
[/quote]
They both kill you, so what's the problem? Humans still appear to be bound by morals, so what's the point in Research, any more? They just come up with more and more ways to kill each other, but clearly only [b]regulation[/b] weaponry is allowed.

We should ban firearms and the like as well. They kill people."

[quote name='Horo the Wise Wolf' timestamp='1327345475' post='2905625']
They both kill you, so what's the problem? Humans still appear to be bound by morals, so what's the point in Research, any more? They just come up with more and more ways to kill each other, but clearly only [b]regulation[/b] weaponry is allowed.

We should ban firearms and the like as well. They kill people."
[/quote]

Matt Damon stood and spoke, "I do not want these talks to be a repeat of the [i]American Forum[/i] held not to long ago in New York, however I would just like to say on behalf of the Texas Government that we do not support biological weapons because they are Weapons of Mass Destruction that have the capability of killing millions of innocent people in a brutal, painful, disgusting, and unwarranted way. Guns do kill people, but they typically don't cause a person to suffer and slowly die for a few days.

As of now, Texas does not support the use of Chemical weapons unless they are combustible chemicals such as napalm. It may sound silly that we bring that up, however there are those that would classify napalm as a 'chemical' weapon. As long as that is clear, we would support a ban on chemical weapons as well. In all honesty, we would also like to see a ban on nuclear weapons however it seems those with nuclear weapons never want to give them up simply because of the power and influence they bring along with them.

I hope that answers your question, and I hope that will let us move on in this Conference so we can all get something done here."