Don't Panic #36

[center][img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/logocg9ez4.png[/img][/center]
[center][img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4790107340_b9c6c0c946_b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4789476045_f5768a890a_b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4790107362_a69916a0d3_b.jpg[/img][/center]

[color=#4040FF][b][size=6]Headlines[/size][/b][/color]
[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Triumvir Elections [/size][/b][/color]
[i]By: Pourquoi[/i]

pudge1975, former MoDF and one of the most respected and popular Triums the MHA has had, decided to step down from his seat, throwing open the door to competition. Three candidates initially stepped forth; our MoBF Yankeefan, Speaker of the HHA Bojangles and, hoping to follow in Pudge's footsteps, another MoDF: Cable77. Bojangles chose to opt out of the race before election day, leaving a straight race between Cable and Yankeefan.

Cable's strongly run campaign, and perhaps a feeling that another MoDF should replace pudge, helped to see Cable to an 80-24 victory, carrying more than 75% of the vote.

So a big congrats to our newest Trium, Cable77, we look forwards to great things from him.

[color=#4040FF][b][size=6]Within the Alliance[/size][/b][/color]
[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Assembly & Court Elections [/size][/b][/color]

Every 3 months the Assembly - MHA's legislative body - elects two representatives. One Speaker, one Legislator. This was one of those three months that saw these positions up for election.
The vote for Legislator was a straightforward affair, with AndyDe being comfortably confirmed as the incumbent and sole candidate.

The Speaker elections were contested between Pourquoi, and incumbent Bojangles. This was the closest competition of all elections this month, with Pourquoi eventually winning with 64% of the vote.

We also managed to find time amongst all of our other elections to confirm Teufel as Court Officer for the next three months, which rounds out an excellent month of democracy and votes for the MHA.

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Ministry Changes [/size][/b][/color]

With Cable's ascension to the Triumvirate we have a new Trium in red this month. Cable's election meant a gap at the Ministry of Destructor Fleets, but madspartus was swiftly promoted to the job. My own vacancy as Deputy MoH has been filled by the wonderful nut; qldvespanut. And we welcome Teufel to the bench.

So we have a few changes to the Ministry this month, leaving our government looking thusly:

[color=#FF0000]Triumvirate: majorddf, Dynasty, Cable77[/color]

[color=#0000FF]Minister of Hitchhikers (Members): unpronounced
Deputy: qldvespanut[/color]
[color=#00FF00]Minister of Towels (Economy): Jadoo1989
Deputy: kippa tarxien[/color]
[color=#FF8000]Minister of BabelFish (Diplomacy): Yankeefan2
Deputy: AvengingAngel256[/color]
[color=#8000FF]Minister of Bad Poetry (Communications): priya91
Deputy: Cormalek[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]Minister of Destructor Fleets (War): madspartus
Deputy: VACANT[/color]

[color=#00FFFF]Speaker of the HHA: Pourquoi
Legislator of the HHA: AndyDe[/color]
[color=#000000]
Court Officers:
El Presidente
Teufel
doc miles[/color]

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]So long Scutter[/size][/b][/color]

A few days ago our former Triumvir, Minister of Hitchhikers and some other things... Scutterbug left the alliance (to join Fark). Aside from the chunk of NS he took with him - fiend! - MHA lost a top guy in Scutter. As MoH, he was something of a mentor for me, hiring me to my first position and guiding me through that job. He was a great boss and went on to other successes as Trium. His frank style resulted in, shall we say, drama, here and there, but he always had the alliance at heart throughout his time here, serving us well. His presence and leadership shall be missed. Fark have gained a great member, they better make the most of him ;)

So long Scutter and thanks for all the fish. Enjoy Fark, and keep in touch.

[color=#4040FF][b][size=6]Just for Fun[/size][/b][/color]
[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Caption Competition[/size][/b][/color]
[i]By: Neptunebyte[/i]

Well, as this has been recommended by some of the Don't Panic staff, we have decided to make a caption contest. Now in every issue, we will post a photo, and it is your job to make a caption for it. The favorite 3 shall be displayed in the following issue of Don't Panic.
The picture for July-August 2010 is:
[spoiler][img]http://moranmustangs.org/philg/files/2010/02/funny-cat.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
Have Fun!!

(Editor: Please post caption suggestions in the OWF or MHA forum Open Floor thread in which this is posted, or contact the Editor - Pourquoi - personally.)

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]The Editor's Drinking...[/size][/b][/color]

Being honest, I've been drinking mainly cider this month. Its just soooo tasty...

Anyhoo, there has been another, drink I've been having a bash at as well. Having gotten home from Uni for the summer I now have access to a slightly more complex set up of equipment with which to experiment with cocktail making. By 'equipment' I specifically mean 'a kitchen'. And with a kitchen comes knives, bowls and, more importantly, a cocktail shaker. Woot!

That's allowed me to enjoy the Cosmopolitan this week.

Ingredients:
50ml Vodka
25ml Triple Sec
25ml Lime Juice
50ml Cranberry Juice
Ice
Lemon peel to garnish

This drink has, unfortunately, a bit of a reputation as a girly drink or a weak drink - thank you Sex in the City - but personally I like it. I'm a huge fan of cranberry juice and during summertime this is the sort of drink you can enjoy anytime of the day - lunchtime, mid afternoon, before dinner, after dinner, of an evening... it's a great drink and not too hard to rustle up yourself, with 'less that can go wrong', shall we say, than can with some other drinks that come in the famous martini cocktail glasses.

So, method; for this drink you will require a shaker, or at least two cups you can shake the ingredients in. You''ll also want to serve this drink in a cocktail glass - one of those with the long stems.
To make, just throw some ice into your shaker, pour in your ingredients in the order listed above - making sure to use fresh lime juice - and then pop the lid onto your shaker and give it a good shake. Once you reckon you've got the ingredients well mixed and the drink cooled nicely, take off the lid, and strain the drink into your cocktail glass. The 'strain' part is really important to make sure you don't get any little bits of lime or ice in your drink.
If you want, you can garnish with a small slice of lemon peel.

And there you have it. A great thing about this drink is it's one you can really experiment with. With four ingredients, each bringing their own character to the overall flavour you can really make the drink your own. On the whole its a nice, slightly fruity, slightly dry and very nice drink, especially in the summer sun. Enjoy.

Cheers

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]The Interview You've All Been Waiting For...[/size][/b][/color]
[i]By: Cable77[/i]

[b]Q. Cable, why are you so awesome?[/b]

[i]A. Thanks for asking, Cable. I was pretty much just born that way...[/i]

[i](Tune in next week when Myth will be asking himself why he's so witty?)[/i]

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Vogon Poetry[/size][/b][/color]
[i]By: Dynasty[/i]

Slimy ice-cream cones exuberate intricate lollipop wires contradicting grandiose umbrellas involved in trimming hot dog pillows. Lessons like leaning lassos lusciously lacking little larks looming like loans lying lifelessly lowering lava looking like lizards. Snowmen snap symbolic symbols seamlessly searching scorched skies scouring sappy soda. Yoke yaks yams yainingly yo-yoing yelling yaks. Buses beat bell peppers blended by bananas being blatantly blue because black barns ban baboons blamelessly bartering by balling bamboo banks. Triumvirates trade tricky trampolines tirelessly tantalizing teams taunted to tag ten trackless tackled tickets telling tall tales tacking tambourines to tacos to take tolls to talent tanks teaching trains to tan to tunes. Penguins protect petty problems passing pickled palates pointing paint per pupil.

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5]Posters & Comics[/size][/b][/color]
By: Pourquoi
Contributions: Andrew Eacorn & Neptunebyte

This month we decided to add some comics and alike at the end. Due to the space they consume we've hidden them in spoilers. Enjoy.

Demotivational Poster
[spoiler][img]http://i38.tinypic.com/fdccax.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
Someone once said MHA was like Finland. Beware CN, beware...

xkcd Comic:
[spoiler][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/toot.png[/img][/spoiler]

Any aspiring cartoonist who'd like their material published by DP need only contact the editor. And, you know, draw it...

[color=#4040FF][b][size=6]Closing[/size][/b][/color]

It was late, it contained nothing on External affairs and the Editor was drunk whilst writing it... another vintage DP!
Hope it is well received and just remember, if you don't like it the complaints department can be found somewhere in a filing cabinet in the toilet of MHA's leaky basement. To get there, you may need to bring a torch. And a flight of stairs. Either way, share and enjoy folks.

[color=#8000FF][b][size=5] Staff Listing[/size][/b][/color]

Pourquoi, he came, he took one look at the amount of work he had to do, he ran away.
Dynasty, he came, he wrote some vogon poetry, he left.
Scytale, he didn't came.
Neptunebyte, he came, he wrote some stuff, Pourquoi threw him out.
Andrew Eacorn, he came, he gave us a poster, he made us all very demotivated.
Doc Oct, he came, he edited the edition, he complained I'd forgotten to add him to the credits.

[quote name='Lord Fingolfin' date='14 July 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1279126119' post='2371111']
Congratulations to those elected. I'm rather surprised at the voter turnout though, only 104 out of 629 voted for the Triumvir position? Eh, could be worse I suppose. Keep on trucking MHA
[/quote]
Yea we usually get 100-150 or so. *Shrug* It happens in an alliance as laid back as us.

Nice Issue Guys! I especially liked the extensive and informative interview with Cable :P

Edited by AvengingAngel256

[quote name='wickedj' date='15 July 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1279151365' post='2371791']
lol i saw the video, it wasnt THAT strong..just well worded. you left a few things out :P
[/quote]

Cable also had one of the busiest campaign threads I have seen on the forums.

As to the election turn outs. we trialed offering a free drink to anyone who voted but that did still not improve the turnout. if anyone has another suggestion we can try we will accept any.

Caption entry:

[img]http://moranmustangs.org/philg/files/2010/02/funny-cat.jpg[/img]

Coconut the Cat: [b]Put the lime in the coconut not on the Coconut you fools! Damn! I hate when master throws a house party.[/b]