Cup of Nations IV

Michael McBride

[b]Syracuse, YK[/b] - The groups for the fourth Cup of Nations Tournament were announced today. Group A consists of the Kingdom of Cochin, the Athenian Federation, Greater Korea, and the Democratic People's Republic of Maine. Group B consists of the Empire of Pravus Ingruo, Marscurian Siberia, the Slavorussian Empire, and the Empire of the Twelve Gods. Group C consists of Monaco, Sri Lanka, the Funky Republic of Puerto Rico, and Arctica. And Group D consists of the Maritime Republic of J Andres, the Xinyan Republic, Transvaal, and the Kingdom of Ireland. Let's head over to the main desk for analysis.

"Well, I'm looking at Group B as the obvious Group of Death here. I feel bad for the Slavorussian Empire, not bad at 18th overall, drawing three teams in the top 10 in the world with Pravus Ingruo, Twelve Gods, and Siberia. The first match between Pravus Ingruo and the host country will prove all important in this group. Look for whoever wins that match to advance and for whoever loses to face a very, very difficult road getting out of this group and into the knockout stage. Still, I expect the defending champions and the host country to make it out of this group, if only by the skin of their collective teeth."

"On the other side of the spectrum we have Group D with Transvaal looking to be the easy favorite. The drama will come from who will advance from the other three sides. All are new and the average rank for Group D is 19. Transvaal has struggled mightily in the past, getting an easy draw like this may be just the medicine they need to start strong and carry that momentum into the knockout round. The second team from this group is a shot in the dark, but I'll go with J Andres since they've been around before."

"I'd expect the Kingdom of Cochin and the Athenians to muscle their way past Korea and Maine in Group A, and Sri Lanka and Puerto Rico in Group C. As always, upsets are expected, so it wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of the big teams fail to make the knockout round."

[b]Match Day 1[/b]
Democratic People’s Republic of Maine v. Kingdom of Cochin
Greater Korea v. Athenian Federation
Empire of the Twelve Gods v. Empire of Pravus Ingruo
Slavorussian Empire v. Marscurian Siberia
Sri Lanka v. Funky Republic of Puerto Rico
Monaco v. Arctica
Xinyan Republic v. Transvaal
Maritime Republic of J Andres v. Kingdom of Ireland

[b]Match Day 2[/b]
Greater Korea v. Democratic People’s Republic of Maine
Kingdom of Cochin v. Athenian Federation
Slavorussian Empire v. Empire of the Twelve Gods
Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Marscurian Siberia
Monaco v. Sri Lanka
Funky Republic of Puerto Rico v. Arctica
Maritime Republic of J Andres v. Xinyan Republic
Transvaal v. Kingdom of Ireland

[b]Match Day 3[/b]
Democratic People’s Republic of Maine v. Athenian Federation
Kingdom of Cochin v. Greater Korea
Empire of the Twelve Gods v. Marscurian Siberia
Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Slavorussian Empire
Sri Lanka v. Arctica
Funky Republic of Puerto Rico v. Monaco
Xinyan Republic v. Kingdom of Ireland
Transvaal v. Maritime Republic of J Andres

[b]Quarters[/b]
Game 1: Group C #2 v. Group A #1
Game 2: Group D #2 v. Group B #1
Game 3: Group A #2 v. Group C #1
Game 4: Group B #2 v. Group D #1

[b]Semis[/b]
Game 5: Game 1 Winner v. Game 3 Winner
Game 6: Game 2 Winner v. Game 4 Winner

[b]Third Place Game[/b]
Game 5 Loser v. Game 6 Loser

[b]Finals[/b]
Game 5 Winner v. Game 6 Winner

"Though the previous Cups of Nations have not brought us the victory we had targeted, this time we believe we can do it. I look forward to the match with Maine with great anticipation. Our boys are ready and well motivated for this game," IM Vijayan, Coach of Cochin National Football Team said in a pre match press briefing.

OOC: Can i still join this? I don't want to clutter the thread if i can't, so i'll just say my lineup would be the same as it was [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=89023&view=findpost&p=2371289]last tournament[/url]... Ranked 21st now btw. <.< >.>

Edited by Amyante

OOC: Isn't the Kingdom of Ireland who the Previous J Andres was in a war with before it collapsed.

IC:J Andres military personnel have been instructed NOT to attend the opening match of the Cup of Nations IV in fear that the Andrean veterans may try to start trouble. Military Personnel in violation will be subject to court-martial.

The J Andres Anchormen are eager to begin international play.

Edited by J Andres

[quote name='Amyante' timestamp='1293430688' post='2555076']
OOC: Can i still join this? I don't want to clutter the thread if i can't, so i'll just say my lineup would be the same as it was [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=89023&view=findpost&p=2371289]last tournament[/url]... Ranked 21st now btw. <.< >.>
[/quote]

OOC: Sign ups were last weak and there are no longer spots available. Sorry.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1293455291' post='2555226']
OOC: If there's no room for Zargathia, replace Greater Korea. I'm willing to let Amyante have a seat, given what he's been through recently.
[/quote]

OOC: Sorry, but no. Everything has already been simmed. I'm not going to go back and do 4-5 hours worth of work all over again for one team.

[quote name='J Andres' timestamp='1293469377' post='2555319']
OOC: Isn't the Kingdom of Ireland who the Previous J Andres was in a war with before it collapsed.
[/quote]

OOC: Indeed they are.

Match Day 1 results will be up later tonight.

[center][img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sargun_Peaceheart/CNRP/Gridiron%20Tournament/thecupflag.png[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sargun_Peaceheart/CNRP/MountOlympus.jpg[/img][/center]

"The stage is set, the groups are drawn, the stadiums are sold out, and the Cup is ready to begin. [b]Mount Olympus[/b] is ready to host the footballing champions in their quest to become demigods - whom will the Gods favor? The Olympiad or the Crimson Lions? The Ethniki or the Yellows? The Springboks or the Tigers? Of the sixteen teams looking for glory, of the sixteen nations looking to mark themselves as champions, one will stand tall. And [b]Mount Olympus[/b] will be rocking. The Empire has come out in droves to support each and every team, a billion brilliant bodies screaming for their teams to advance. The millions who will fall into the Empire to cheer for their own team will add themselves to this number. The world will have never seen such a spectacle.

Every team will be greeted by a small group of the Imperial armed forces and a flyover will be held before the start of each game. Every stadium is loaded with pre-game, half-time, and post-game fireworks and celebrations. Parades are ready for winning teams, and security detachments on standby for losers. Culturally relevant music, bands, actors, and games have been pulled for entertainment for spectators from all nations. Disrupting elements - such as vuvuzelas - have been removed. There will be nothing but super football on these fields; nothing but sweat, blood, and tears.

Are you ready for some football?"

====================================================================================================================================

The Olympiad walked out onto [b]Mount Olympus[/b] the morning before the game. They would be the inaugural game for the stadium - the first team to run onto the pitch, the first team to win or lose on the biggest stage of all. Kneeling, they muttered the words of Epictetus.

"[i]Dear Lord,
Do with me henceforth as thou wilt.

I am of one mind with thee, I am thine.
I decline nothing that seems good to thee.
Send me whither thou wilt.
Clothe me as thou wilt.[/i]"

Standing, they each walked in twos out of the stadium, each placing two fingers and walking past a bell that hangs above the locker room door.

[size="5"][b]Match Day 1 Results[/b][/size]

Democratic People’s Republic of Maine v. [b]Kingdom of Cochin[/b] 0-3
Goals: KoC: Rithu KS (2) 14’, 51’; Das 63’
Bookings: DPRM: Simmons (1)
Clean Sheet: KoC: Krishnan (1)

The first match of the tournament brought no real surprise as the Kingdom of Cochin demolished the Democratic People’s Republic of Maine in their first international match. Time of possession heavily favored the Cochin National Football Team, 75% to 25%. Despite this time of possession advantage, Maine still managed to keep the match close. After Rithu KS scored in the 14th minute of a driving shot from just inside the box, Maine was able to severely limit Cochin’s chances for the rest of the half. The second half started fast for the National Team and only got faster, as Rithu KS scored his second goal of the match in the 51st minute, and Vipin Das followed up in the 63rd. Maine had no answer the rest of the way as the Cochin side took their foot off the gas, coasting to a 3-0 victory.

Greater Korea v. Athenian Federation 2-2
Goals: GK: Ki-Myeon (2) 3’, 88’. AF: Tocci 33’; Minas 44’
Bookings: GK: Hong-Gu (1). AF: Antolini (1)
Injuries: GK: Gae-Sung (1 match)

In the second match of the day, the tournament saw its first draw. The match was a combination of the Athenian Federation playing below their ability and Greater Korea playing above theirs. Seol Ki-Myeon was the hero for the Korean side, scoring in only the 3rd minute off a breakaway goal to immediately put the Athenians back on their heels, and then later notching the goal to tie the match up in the 88th minute. In between those two goals, the Athenians, on their only two sustained possessions of the match, manufactured goals through crisp passing and good communication.

Korean midfielder Kim Gae-Sung was injured on a tackle by Cristiano Antolini. Antolini received a yellow card for the infraction. Gae-Sung is expected to miss the next match against Maine.

Empire of the Twelve Gods v. [b]Empire of Pravus Ingruo[/b] 0-1
Goals: PI: Harland 67’
Bookings: PI: Bogley (1); Ellis (1)
Clean Sheet: PI: Jacobson (1)

The marquee match up of Match Day 1 certainly lived up to the hype. For 66 minutes, two of the top teams in the world played each other to a standstill, until in the 67th minute when Benjamin Harland, nephew of the current Emperor Harland and son of national team coach Stephen Harland, was the recipient of a one-two-three pass through the Olympiad’s zone from Aygun Raman and Joe Bogley that put him in position for a one on one with the host country’s keeper Goslan Bourkia. Harland won that battle, knifing the ball into the upper left hand corner of the net for a 1-0 lead that the Crimson Lions never relinquished.

Slavorussian Empire v. Marscurian Siberia 0-0
Bookings: SE: Anyukov (1)
Clean Sheet: SE: Anisim (1). MS: Antovich (1)

The second match from Group B wasn’t nearly as exciting as the Slavorussian Empire pulled a bit of an upset, allowing Marscurian Siberia only two shots but managing only one themselves as they stole a point from the 9th ranked team in the world.

[b]Sri Lanka[/b] v. Funky Republic of Puerto Rico 2-0
Goals: SL: Kroos 28’; Thuwan 62’
Bookings: FRPR: Caro (1)
Clean Sheet: SL: Jansen (1)

Sri Lanka started what it hopes to be a title run with a 2-0 demolition of the Funky Republic of Puerto Rico. Pitor Kroos got the Yellows on the board first in the 28th minute off an impressive strike from 25 meters out, and P.O. Thuwan slammed a header in off a corner in the 62nd minute to seal the victory.

[b]Monaco[/b] v. Arctica 2-0
Goals: M: Messerschmit 42’; Moreau 75’
Bookings: A: Rakotomandimby (straight red, 2 match suspension)
Clean Sheet: M: Rousseau III (1)
Injuries: M: Polos (1 match)

A late goal after a very even, and quite frankly boring, first half sparked what turned out to be the most controversial game of the Cup thus far. Timothy Messerschmit scored on what Arctican players thought was a clear offsides, cueing a massive protest from the Arctican bench that carried on into the half. The match was decidedly more physical in the second half, and it culminated when Rija Rakotomandimby took down Marcos Polos in the 63rd minute. Rakotomandimby was shown a straight red and actually had to be shielded by his teammates as he walked off the pitch from an angry Monaco team. Polos lay on the pitch for a number of minutes before being carried off on a stretcher. He is expected to miss at least the next match. Rakotomandimby will miss the rest of group play, however he will be eligible if Arctica makes the knockout stage. Sean Moreau came in for the injured Polos and notched a marker to seal the win in the 75th minute.

[b]Xinyan Republic[/b] v. Transvaal 1-0
Goals: XR: Jiang 75’ (PK)
Bookings: T: B. Botha (1); Chan Carl (1)
Clean Sheet: XR: Hsung (1)

If Transvaal wishes to show that they truly deserve to be considered a contender on the world stage, they will need to play better than this. The Xinyan Republic employed a perfect strategy against the aggressive ‘Boks, playing in a defensive shell for most of the match, aiming to preserve a tie and steal a point instead of going for the win. However, a series of quick Transvaal mistakes sealed their doom. An errant pass led to a Xinyan interception and Balthazar Botha yellow card, setting up a Xinyan freekick. The Rangers raced downfield, catching the ‘Boks off guard. The freekick sailed down into the penalty area, where Boyke Chan Carl fouled Jie Jiang, setting up a Xinyan freekick. Jiang rifled the ball past Manos Torgo for the goal, and then the Rangers clamped down even harder on defense, never allowing the ‘Boks another good chance on net, and pulling off the stunning victory.

[b]Maritime Republic of J Andres[/b] v. Kingdom of Ireland 1-0
Goals: MRJA: Whatley 82’
Bookings: MRJA: Conforti (1)
Clean Sheet: MRJA: Schmidt (1)

In a match rife with tension, it was a rather mundane match. Both teams were sloppy, turnovers were plentiful, and a few boos were even heard from the stands. However, the more experienced squad eventually prevailed, as Wesley Whatley pounded a header off a corner past a diving Aodh Carroll in the 82nd minute to ensure J Andres three points.

The reaction to the Xinyan victory for the Xinyan fans was astounding. Though they had been hoping for the best, the Rangers knew they were going against Transvaal, one of the best teams in the world, and had hoped at best to keep them at a stalemate 0-0. Fans rejoiced as they watched Jie Jieng, the team's star player, kick the ball clear past Manos Torgo.

"We don't intend to give up at Transvaal," Jieng has said. "Even if we have managed to defeat the giant, we cannot allow ourselves to get carried away. We will play just as hard in our next games."

"We are of course happy that we won against Puerto Rico, but they showed us a good match despite being of relatively low rank in the world ranking," commented the Manager of the Sri Lanka Yellows, Laura Leclerc.
"But of course we aim to win the cup. It is probable that we'll be meeting Pravus Ingruo or Transvaal in that last match, should we reach it, but I'm sure the team will give their best to beat even them."

Head Coach Earl Bannister was pleased with the J Andres Victory in the opening game yesterday, "It's been a while since we have hit the pitch in a true international tournament. Our results were expected, and we are glad that we managed to walk away from our "warm-up game" with a win."

"We will be looking forward to our meeting with the Xinyan Republic, hot off their win against Transvaal."

OOC: No probs.

IC:

"It is a pity that due to organizational difficulties Zargathia found itself unable to sign up for the Cup of Nations. Nevertheless, we have been watching the first round of matches and are looking forward to a good tournament. We would also like to congratulate the Xinyan Republic on their win against Transvaal."

OOC: As always, when the Cup of Nations is started, I consider there to be an RP freeze regarding the nations involved. Therefore, the Empire of the Twelve Gods still exists, the tournament is still being held there, and the team will be called as such until the end of the tournament when it is archived.

OOC: Sorry guys for not getting anything up tonight. My computer completely !@#$ the bed and I had to wipe it and re-install Win7. I am currently sitting here with basically just the operating system, and need to reinstall everything. So, hopefully, fingers crossed, I will be posting later tonight on the goings on for the Cup. I just pray I backed it up on my external hard drive.

[size="5"][b]Match Day 2[/b][/size]

[b]Greater Korea[/b] v. Democratic People’s Republic of Maine 1-0
Goals: GK: Gae-Sung 31’
Bookings: GK: Kwang-Seok (straight red, 2 match suspension)
Clean Sheet: GK: Gwa-Yong (1)

The first match of Match Day 2 was not without controversy. Following a relatively uneventful match and a Kim Gae-Sung goal in the 31st minute, the game almost turned into an all-out brawl following some dirty Korean play. As the Democratic People’s Republic of Maine pressured to get shots on net late, Korean defender Kim Kwang-Seok leapt through the air and landed with his full weight on the ankle of Mi Tou. Tou fell to the ground clutching his ankle and writhing in pain and had to be helped off on a stretcher. A fistfight almost ensued on the pitch, and the official showed Kwang-Seok a straight red. The Korean defender will be suspended for the next two matches. X-rays after the match showed a sprain instead of a break as originally thought for Tou, and he is questionable for the next match. Maine, however, was unable to use the energy from their anger to generate any goals, and fell 1-0.

Kingdom of Cochin v. [b]Athenian Federation[/b] 0-1
Goals: AF: Xenos 55’
Bookings: KoC: Wadoo (1)
Clean Sheet: AF: Dellis (1)
Injuries: AF: Minas (2 matches)

The thrill of a 55th minute goal for Melancton Xenos for the Athenian Federation was quickly overshadowed by the sight of Steven Minas laying crumpled on the pitch. Minas had fed Xenos on a beautiful forwarding pass before Mehrajuddin Wadoo had lunged forward, foot extended, to try and block the ball. Wadoo’s boot connected with Minas’ left knee, sending the midfielder crashing to the pitch in agony. He limped off with the help of the trainers. Post-match X-rays showed a strain, and Minas will miss the next two matches. The Kingdom of Cochin never really mounted any sort of an effective response, and the match ended 1-0.

Playoff Scenarios: Democratic People’s Republic of Maine v. Athenian Federation
Kingdom of Cochin v. Greater Korea

- Athenian Federation makes the knockout stage with win OR draw vs. DPRM.
- Greater Korea makes the knockout stage with win OR draw vs. Kingdom of Cochin.
- Kingdom of Cochin makes the knockout stage with win OR draw vs. Korea AND loss by Athens vs. Maine.
- DPRM makes the knockout stage with win vs. Athenian Federation by at least 5 goals AND Korea beats Cochin.

[b]Slavorussian Empire[/b] v. Empire of the Twelve Gods 1-0
Goals: SE: Tamashevska 22’
Clean Sheet: SE: Anisim (2)

After a tough loss in their opener, the hosts knew that their next match against the Slavorussian Empire was a virtual must-win to make the knockout stage. Unfortunately, they ran into the hottest keeper of the tournament so far, Sergei Anisim, who stymied every attempt that the Olympiad placed at him. A goal by Roman Tamashevska in the 22nd minute was all the Slavorussians needed to pull off a monumental upset and eliminate the hosts from the knockout stage.

Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Marscurian Siberia 1-1
Goals: MS: Flotstein 41’. PI: Harland 87’ (2)
Bookings: PI: Ellis (2); Wallace (1); Raman (1); Labant (1)
Injuries: MS: Buch (3 matches)

Penalties plagued the defending champions in the match and they totaled up four yellow cards, one of them setting up a free kick just outside the penalty box that was laced past John Jacobsen by Alexandr Flotstein in the 41st minute. Every time the Crimson Lions seemed to be ready to punch the ball in, a lazy pass or a bit off play that was too rough would doom their momentum. However, it was a lazy pass by Siberia that ended up being their salvation, as in the 87th minute Benjamin Harland intercepted a pass and took it in himself, looping a shot in over Sasha Antovich’s head, who had come out to challenge. Neither team registered another shot, and the match ended in a draw.

Playoff scenarios: Empire of the Twelve Gods v. Marscurian Siberia
Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Slavorussian Empire

- Empire of Pravus Ingruo makes the knockout stage with win OR Siberia draw OR Siberia loss.
- Slavorussian Empire makes the knockout stage with win OR Siberia draw OR Siberia loss.
- Marscuian Siberia makes the knockout stage with win AND Pravus Ingruo/Slavorussian loss.
- Empire of the Twelve Gods has been eliminated from playoff contention.

[b]Monaco[/b] v. Sri Lanka 2-1
Goals: SL: Müller 32’. M: Brun 35’; Renard 65’

Monaco continued to be the surprise team of the tournament, knockout off favorites Sri Lanka 2-1 to take control of Group C. After a marker by Müller in the 32nd minute put the Yellows up 1-0, Monaco responded back with gumption, as David Brun tied the match just three minutes later. The dagger would have to wait until twenty minutes into the second when Scott Renard blasted a header off a corner into the net. Sereine Rouge was able to hold on after that despite a late push by the Yellows to win 2-1.

[b]Funky Republic of Puerto Rico[/b] v. Arctica 1-0
Goals: FRPR: Ortiz 90+2’
Bookings: A: Stacker (1); Razafindrakoto (1); Hoarau (1)
Clean Sheet: FRPR: Carp (1)

A controversial late goal marked this match that seemed destined for a draw. Puerto Rico could get nothing started on offense for almost the entire match, and Arctica couldn’t get out of its own way with penalties, taking three yellow cards. A disputed late yellow card on Stacker, Arctica’s keeper, sparked the FRPR to a push in added time. After a pass off the set piece, Raphel Ortiz blasted a ball past a diving Stacker from just inside the penalty area. Immediately after the ensuing kick off, the whistle blew to end the match, never giving Arctica a chance to recover.

Playoff Scenarios: Sri Lanka v. Arctica
Funky Republic of Puerto Rico v. Monaco

- Monaco will make the knockout stage with a win OR a draw OR a loss by less than 4 to Puerto Rico.
- Sri Lanka will make the knockout stage with a win AND FRPR draw/loss OR draw AND FRPR draw/loss OR loss by less than 2 AND FRPR loss.
- Funky Republic of Puerto Rico will make the knockout stage with a win by 4 or more over Monaco OR win by less than 4 AND Sri Lanka draw/loss OR draw and Sri Lanka loss.
- Arctica will make the knockout stage with a win by 4 or more over Sri Lanka AND FRPR loss.

[b]Maritime Republic of J Andres[/b] v. Xinyan Republic 2-1
Goals: MRJA: Conforti 41’; Hobbs 60’. XR: Jiang 63’
Bookings: MRJA: Capulet (1); Saxon (1). XR: Jianguo (1)

The Xinyan Republic was hot off their win against Transvaal and looked to continue it against the Maritime Republic. However, the Anchors had other ideas. A goal just before the halftime break and then one ten minutes into the second staked the Maritime Republic to a 2-0 lead. Although the Xinyan Republic responded just three minutes later to cut their deficit in half, their offensive woes continued to plague them, and they fell 2-1, giving the Maritime Republic control of the group.

[b]Transvaal[/b] v. Kingdom of Ireland 5-0
Goals: T: Evans (2) 4’, 57’; Rieger 32’; B. Botha 7’; Alcott 74’
Bookings: T: Evans (1). KoI: Reilly (1); Johnston (1)
Clean Sheet: T: Torgo (1)

The loss to the side from the Xinyan Republic seemed to be a wake-up call for Transvaal. And fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you were cheering for) the Springboks had the lowly Kingdom of Ireland next on the docket. The match was a massacre. Before even ten minutes had been played, Transvaal had a 2-0 lead. It was 3-0 at the break. And the final tally was 5-0 in a complete and utter demolition of the Irish side.

Playoff Scenarios: Xinyan Republic v. Kingdom of Ireland
Transvaal v. Maritime Republic of J Andres

- Maritime Republic of J Andres makes it to the knockout round with a win OR a draw OR a loss by less than 2 goals AND a Xinyan Republic draw/win by less than 2 goals.
- Transvaal makes it to the knockout round with a win OR a draw AND a Xinyan Republic draw/loss OR a loss by less than 4 goals AND a Xinyan Republic loss.
- Xinyan Republic makes it to the knockout round with a win AND Transvaal draw/loss OR a draw AND Transvaal loss.
- Kingdom of Ireland makes it to the knockout round with a win of 11 goals or more AND a Transvaal loss.

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

"While we are disappointed that we didn't win this match against Monaco, it is only obvious that they have a team that works well under pressure, perhaps even better than ours.
Regardless, things will be different in the next match, when we play against Arctica."

J Andres is once again extremely pleased with the national teams performance.

The final round match against Transvaal will be televised throughout the nation on broadcast television, and is expected to draw large viewing audiences. Transvaal has always had a feared football team, and the Anchormen are ready for what will be their hardest match yet!