Elections in Transvaal

Botha

Election Ballot for Republic of Transvaal  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[color="#000080"][img]http://i34.tinypic.com/2h3dfs2.jpg[/img]
[b][size=5]REPUBLIEK VAN TRANSVAAL
REPUBLIC OF TRANSVAAL[/size][/b]

The current term for [i]Eersteminister [/i][Prime Minister] expires on May 31, 2009.

His Excellency, the head-of-state Staatspresident Botha has therefore called for a National Election to determine the next [b]Prime Minister of the Republic of Transvaal[/b] and representation for the 6th Session of the National [i]Volksraad[/i].

[i]TERMS OF OFFICE: June 1st 2010 to November 30th 2010[/i]

The office of Prime Minister is open to any party candidate of the white Afrikaner race. All citizens of the Republic of Transvaal regardless of race residing in the Republic may vote for Prime Minister.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/z30ao.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Annetjie VAN MATTEUS[/b] (National Party – incumbent) In office since April 30, 2009 and former prime minister in office in May-June 2007. Deposed by military coup in 2007 after publicly executing one of her ministers on television. Later tried for alleged treasonous involvement during the GOONS war but acquitted by the courts. Regarded to be a neo-fascist outside of the unabashed racist groups like [i]Verwoerd Front[/i] but generally supports the current republic format and has adopted a more conciliatory, moderate approach during her current term in office. She resigned from the National Party after H Strijdom became prime minister in October 2008 and later formed the Martens Party of Transvaal as a far-right opposition group alternate to the [i]Verwoerd Front[/i]. After the invasion of Transvaal during the Karma War, she dissolved the Martens Party and reconciled her differences with H Strijdom when she rejoined the National Party and with whom she conspired to force the RMG to resign and restore civilian rule. Subsequently appointed prime minister by Field Marshal P Malan when the Republican Military Government resigned and returned to their barracks. She managed Transvaal’s atomic bomb programme during Strijdom's government and successfully detonated the nation’s first atomic weapon on Bouvet Island.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/1scn6c.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Hendrik STRIJDOM[/b] (National Party) held governor posts in Namibia and Transvaler Suid-Amerika previous to being named prime minister after JM Hertzog’s resignation. Prime Minister of Transvaal from October 2008 until February 2009. Responsible for negotiating an end to the war in Paraguay and Transvaal's withdrawl from South America. During his term as prime minister Strijdom expanded the [i]Seemag [/i][Navy], increased government spending in the civilian sector, created an National Earth Day to help improve awareness to the nation’s environment, clamped down on radicals both leftist and rightist, and developed Transvaal’s nuclear weapons programme. Became Foreign Minister during the Republican Military Government and co-Deputy Prime Minister in Van Matteus’ government.

[img]http://i36.tinypic.com/209k3v8.jpg[/img]
[b]Jakob Martin HERTZOG[/b] (National Party independent) – former prime minister of Transvaal, the longest serving prime minister in the nation’s history, governed over two successive terms from November 2007 until his resignation on October 2008 and then briefly again from February to April 2009 when his government then collapsed during the Karma War. During his three terms in office, Transvaal’s population tripled in size and he successfully managed the painful economic transformation from Maroon to the Orange trading sphere. Due to his difficulty speaking English, foreign policy has generally a critical, weak aspect of his rule and he took the fall for leading the nation into a disastrous colonial adventure in South America. During his time in office he built 4 labour camps, legalized the [i]Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk[/i] (Dutch Reformed Church), re-annexed Cherokee Namibia, withdrew from Angola (later re-annexed), joined the Pan-African Coalition, constructed the [i]Transvaler Seemag[/i] and began technology deals with Franzharia. His government handed out R$20.5 million in foreign aid while receiving R$9 million in return. During the Republican Military Government, he led the opposition faction within the National party in alliance with the DBP. His legacy and political position is reflected by Transvaal’s period spent in Orange and IRON and is opposed the nation’s re-affiliation with Nordreich. He is viewed as leading the so-called left-progressive wing of the National Party favouring more political involvement of Transvaal’s non-white citizens - and while maintaining membership within the National party, he now follows an independent course and often opposes official party policies.

[img]http://i36.tinypic.com/fxxg4.jpg[/img]
[b]Marthinus HOFMEYR[/b] (National Party) Minister of Finance, Trade & Education. Advocates government spending to increase the technology level in Transvaal and was responsible for carrying out most of Transvaal’s post-war reconstruction. Not much is known about his politics and is viewed as middle of the road and un-ambitious compared to Strijdom and Van Matteus.

[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/21j242w.jpg[/img]
[b]Frederik GELDENHUYS[/b] ([i]Demokratiese Barakke Party[/i]) Leader of the Democratic Drillhall Party which admires Field Marshal Cruywagen and favours the involvement of progressive elements within the Transvaler military to participate in running the government so as to remove the threat of white supremacists in Transvaler society. Since the end of the Republican Military Government, the DBP has lost influence as the Verwoerd Front fizzled out and many civilians opposed the re-involvement of the military in domestic politics regardless of ideology.

[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2mwt54z.jpg[/img]
Field Marshal [b]Petrus MALAN[/b] (independent) - Former junta leader of the Republican Military Government which governed the nation during the Karma War and post-war reconstruction period. His legacy is the adoption of a controversial immigration law (which consequently has never been repealed) to inflate the number of white citizens in Transvaal by limiting immigration to whites and promoting birth control amongst African citizens. He voluntarily resigned as leader of the RMG which returned the nation to full civilian rule at the end of April 2009. He had held the post of Ambassador to Repubblica Italiana and is currently Commander of the [i]Transvaler Raketkops[/i] [Rocket Corps] and maintains Transvaal's small nuclear weapon arsenal.[/color]

Edited by Botha

[color="#000080"][img]http://i36.tinypic.com/1zce1qc.jpg[/img]
[b][i]Tele-Transvaal - a symbol known throughout Africa guaranteeing the very best in drab, low-quality, and boring television[/i][/b]

[i]A grey, drab voice droned on over the drab lifeless logo of Tele-Transvaal. In the background was played a muted version of Transvaal anthem:[/i]

AN EXPLANATION OF NATIONAL ELECTIONS IN TRANVSAAL... brought to you by TELE-TRANSVAAL

National Elections in Transvaal are carried out under election governance by the authority of the [i]Staatsregeringministrie van Nasionaalverkiesing[/i] (Department of National Elections).

For any National Election to be valid, a minimum of 40 electoral districts in the National Assembly - or [i]Nasionale Volksraad[/i] as it is called in Afrikaans - must be decided.

If an election does not receive the minimum votes to make it valid, a run-off election between the two candidates with the most district votes is then called to take place two weeks after the original election.

The political party receiving the greatest number of votes cast for all candidates is elected to office; the candidate within that party is appointed the prime minister.

If a prime minister holds a minority of votes within his party, he must rule through a coalition within his party. If that coalition collapses, the governing party must find another prime minister from within its ranks.

Any candidate who gains a majority of electoral district votes within his party would not require a governing coalition - and any candidate who gains an overall majority of electoral districts in the entire election is deemed to have an "absolute majority" and can essentially rule unhindered by any sort of 'checks and balances' from within the government or from his party.

[i]Then the drab image, music, and station logo disappeared to reveal a grinning close-up of Transvaal’s only newsbroadcaster: Lukas Reitz. Intro music then blared again:[/i]

ALL-CANDIDATES MEETING brought to you by TELE-TRANSVAAL

VERKIESING MEI 2010 - ELECTION MAY 2010

Goeienaand, good evening everyone, welcome! Lukas Reitz here from Afrikaans [i]Daaglikse Tele-Nuus[/i] and its English-language equivalent [i]Daily TV News[/i].

My name is Lukas Reitz and I will be your host tonight for this, the 6th National Election all-candidates town hall meeting for Prime Minister of the Republic of Transvaal.

Assembled with me, Lukas Reitz of DTN and DTVN, we have invited respected members of the foreign press who will be fielding questions to the candidates. When presenting their questions, I request you give your name and news bureau you are assigned to. To assist me to maintain some semblance of order here, please ask one question at a time and state whom you are addressing it to.

So... now without further delay, I would like to introduce to you the candidates for the office of Prime Minister of the Republic of Transvaal. Here, starting on my right, we have the always dashing and attractive Prime Minister [b]Annetjie van Matteus[/b] (National Party – incumbent)…

[i]Van Matteus shot Reitz an icy glance as if she was intensly creeped out by his overbearing manner.[/i]

Foreign Minister [b]Hendrik Strijdom[/b] (National Party), former prime minister and now one of the co-deputy prime ministers, Minister [b]Marthinus Hofmeyr[/b] (National Party) Minister of Finance, Trade & Education, Mr. [b]Frederik Geldenhuys[/b], leader of the opposition Demokratiese Barakke Party, Mr. [b]Jakob Martin Herztog[/b], former prime minister standing as an independent National Party candidate, and respelendent in his military uniform, Field Marshal [b]Petrus Malan[/b], Commanding Officer of the Transvaler Raketkorps, who is standing as an independent candidate.

[i]Reitz then took centre-stage on the screen, saying[/i] “…and I, Lukas Reitz, will be your host - and as your host, I now open the floor to questions from our foreign visiting media” giving an expansive wave towards the visiting reporters sitting in the crowd.

[i]Lukas Reitz then continued to grin close-up into the camera as it then faded to its first [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsqosiEyGLs"]commercial break[/url].[/i]

[img]http://i33.tinypic.com/2a7free.jpg[/img]
[b][i]Always happy to be your host, the face of Transvaal news: Lukas Reitz[/i][/b][/color]

Edited by Botha

"Victor Frost, DUNES."

"My question is addressed to the incumbent, VAN MATTEUS."

"You recently pushed for a piece of legislation that, while controversial within Transvaal, proved widely popular with other nations, particularly your close ally of Arctica. If re-elected, do you intend to continue the push for the end of the 'Whitification' policy?"

OOC: Since you never announced it settled, I am assuming it was not.

[color="#000080"]Van Matteus obviously looked uncomfortable with the question – but she was smart enough to realise it would come up sooner or later during questioning.

“Err yes, blankifikasieheid. My government did some studies to consider changing our immigration policies but at the end of the day… with further consultation with the government and party… it was generally agreed that now, due to our still-difficult economic problems… was not a good time to be making, err… sweeping changes… to our fundamental state policies.”

Victor Frost could tell from her voice that Van Matteus was not being sincere with her words. She was either hiding something or parroting a prepared line of political gibberish. Or both. Whatever it was, she gave the appearance she was placed on the defensive.

Meanwhile, Field Marshal Malan smiled wryly and nodded in apparent agreement as the prime minister answered.
[/color]

Interesting. Either she didn't believe in the change she herself had pushed for...certainy possible. Or she was being pressured by party or parties unknown. Possibly, both.

"I see. Did this 'consultation' have any connection to the recent attempt to oust you via a vote of no confidence?"

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='05 May 2010 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1273096071' post='2288076']"I see. Did this 'consultation' have any connection to the recent attempt to oust you via a vote of no confidence?"[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Field Marshal Malan and Hendrik Strijdom seemed slightly startled and taken aback by the daring course of questioning that Frost was pursuing. Malan seemed the most perturbed, enough that he was now sitting upright instead of his typical lazy slouch. Strijdom briefly jotted something down on a notepad which he had causually removed from his suit pocket.

Prime Minister van Matteus hesitated before replying, “umm... perhaps but also other things which were deemed in camera government business not of public concern.”

It was clear in the tone of her voice that she felt did not feel comfortable with the topic at hand. She gave the impression of an animal cornered and trapped, knowing it was targetted in someone's crosshairs.[/color]

Before Frost could ask another questuion a reporter from The Imperium stood up and launched her own question to give Prime Minister van Matteus a break from Frost's interrogation. [i]"Prime Minister van Matteus what would be your plans for dealing with any foreign nations in regards to the changes you have made?".[/i]

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' date='05 May 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1273097629' post='2288105'] [i]"Prime Minister van Matteus what would be your plans for dealing with any foreign nations in regards to the changes you have made?".[/i][/quote]

[color="#000080"]“In regards to [i]what [/i]changes? My government hasn’t made any social policy changes. In regards to our immigration policies, it was just consultations which ended up being shelved.”

“Besides the Transvaler government has generally taken an approach where if nations want to have diplomatic relations with us, we’ll just ignore any domestic social concerns and likewise they can expect the same of us. It is not in our interest to involve ourselves in the domestic affairs of other nations – and we appreciate the same mutual respect in return.”[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='05 May 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1273099417' post='2288140']
[color="#000080"]“In regards to [i]what [/i]changes? My government hasn’t made any social policy changes. In regards to our immigration policies, it was just consultations which ended up being shelved.”

“Besides the Transvaler government has generally taken an approach where if nations want to have diplomatic relations with us, we’ll just ignore any domestic social concerns and likewise they can expect the same of us. It is not in our interest to involve ourselves in the domestic affairs of other nations – and we appreciate the same mutual respect in return.”[/color]
[/quote]

[i]"I see our data gathered on your nation is quite limited. However, we now know to what to give you in terms of respect in accordance to your affairs. I currently have no more questions so I guess I will allow reporter Frost to continue with his interrogation"[/i] replied the Imperial reporter glancing across to Frost as she sat down.

An Arctican reporter in the crowd smiled at Mr. Frost's line of questioning. When he saw that Van Matteus was sufficiently made a fool of, he raised his hand along with the others.

"Ronald Dreyfus from Arctica News Service with a question for Mr. Geldenhuys."

"Sir, since preliminary polls show you almost tied with the incumbent Prime Minister Van Matteus, viewers back home would like to know your policies in more detail. Mr. Geldenhuys, if elected, what social and economic policies do you intend to pursue? Additionally, towards what end do you plan to involve the military in the civilian establishment under your possible governance, and to what degree?"

If looks could kill, Frost would have been taken away for a double murder, the Imperium reporter [i]and[/i] Mr. Dreyfus.

Nevertheless, he had a feeling that piursuing the current line of questioning right away might not be the wisest course of action, so he addressed his next question to Jakob Hertzog.

"Mr. Hertzog, during your tenure Transvaal benefited greatly internally...but your foreign affairs policies proved disastrous. What makes you think you can do a better job now?"

[quote name='Vedran' date='05 May 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1273101120' post='2288182']"Ronald Dreyfus from Arctica News Service with a question for Mr. Geldenhuys."

"Sir, since preliminary polls show you almost tied with the incumbent Prime Minister Van Matteus, viewers back home would like to know your policies in more detail. Mr. Geldenhuys, if elected, what social and economic policies do you intend to pursue? Additionally, towards what end do you plan to involve the military in the civilian establishment under your possible governance, and to what degree?"
[/quote]

[color="#000080"]An interesting question, thank you. The background behind the DBP is rather unique and unusual. We are a civilian political party that originally sought to politically align with the progressive faction of officer corps against right-wing extremist elements at work within in the nation.

In most countries, when the military is actively politicised, it is generally a conservative force. However, in Transvaal, up until around a year ago, it had generally been the opposite - when the army has thrown its weight into the political arena it was often a lone progressive, liberal voice in a nation which has generally been very conservative and reactionary in social thinking. The reason for that has been due to the leadership and wisdom of Field Marshal Paul Cruywagen.

What we wish to achieve emulate Cruywagenian policies from when the Marshal was prime minister of the Republic: to remain fiscally conservative and oppose outright marxist nationalisation economics but not be so blinded and paranoid, like the National Party is, to institute benefits to workers that do not necessarily contradict free enterprise.

On a social level, we seek to find a solution to our difficult racial problems and somehow work towards reconciling Afrikaner national aspirations without having to stomp all over the rights of non-whites. [/color]

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='05 May 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1273121247' post='2288705']
"Mr. Hertzog, during your tenure Transvaal benefited greatly internally...but your foreign affairs policies proved disastrous. What makes you think you can do a better job now?"[/quote]

[color="#000080"][i]Jakob Hertzog cleared his throat and began to speak in his atrocious brutalisation of the English language:[/i]

I can like to think that Transvaal foreign policy needs now changed have. The Republic has to trying force himself on the rest of Africa stopped do, we now just still want be a region power in Southern Africa. I have admitted that I have make bad foreign policy decisions but Transvaal foreign policy is not so strong and overbear as before not. So then I then to focus on domestic policies to going do. Transvaal not want a need for dominant foreign policy, we want in peace with our neighbours live. [/color]

"Thank you, Mr. Hertzog. Van Matteus...seeing as you determined, in the end, that the proposed changes to the nation's immigration laws were not in Transvaal's best interests...why did you propose such changes in the first place?"

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='08 May 2010 - 12:24 AM' timestamp='1273303442' post='2291174']Van Matteus...seeing as you determined, in the end, that the proposed changes to the nation's immigration laws were not in Transvaal's best interests...why did you propose such changes in the first place?[/quote]

[color="#000080"]"Err… I thought our country was at a suitable mindset to be ready for discussion on our immigration laws. However, I misread popular opinion and the social dynamics current in the nation. We are not economically nor socially at the point to reverse blankifikasieheid.”

[i]Meanwhile, Field Marshal Malan gave a coy smile.[/i][/color]

[color="#000080"]Field Marshal Malan looked over the results of the early election polls. As long as Annetjie van Matteus managed to gain the most votes within the National Party, he would be able to manipulate the situation in the [i]Volksraad [/i]to place his chosen man into power.

Petrus Malan didn't care about himself winning the election, that wasn't why he took part as a candidate. His heart was set with the establishment National Party but by declaring himself an independent, it gave him an opportunity to manoevre and bend the [i]Volksraad [/i]to his will.

It also sent a message to those progressive such as Jakob Hertzog or the DBP not to push their luck too far. Herztog was a lame duck, despirate and vain enough to contiunue to cling to hopes of his political rebirth when in fact his day had come and gone the moment Transvaal severed its ties to IRON and the Orange sphere, both which the former prime minister closely identified with. Herztog as leader of a Nordreich nation made about as much sense and was about as plausible as Transvaal being ruled by a black man - it simply would never fly.

No, Malan had Van Matteus right where he wanted her: on the political defensive with nowhere to go. She may end up indeed winning the election, but she would lose power nevertheless as the Afrikaner national psyche would never tolerate the reality of what most Transvalers would deem a sexual degenerate running the government.

He would give her the choice to submit and resign - and thus keep her reputation intact, perhaps enough to fight another day - or she could make a stand but be consigned - perminantly - to the trash heap of Transvaal's history. [/color]

Sanchez Rodrigo, reporter for the newly established Republican News, then decided it was his turn to ask a question. He was a sharp one, and was watching this debate avidly with interest, all the back meaning behind every word playing on his imagination.

"Van Matteus, does the current immigration policy affect or apply to simple visitation, such as tourism, world travel, etc?"

A slightly overweight, bespectacled man in his 30s wearing a borrowed suit and sporting a five o'clock shadow and emanating the odor of overapplied cologne, waved his hand emphatically after pushing through the crowd.

"Robert Dawes, with the [i]Free Worker[/i] with a question for Van Matteus!" The [i]Worker[/i] was a little known and unpopular left-wing periodical with a small circulation, which led some to wonder how the man was even allowed into the press conference.

"Ms. Van Matteus, how do you expect the good people of Transvaal and the world to take you seriously after you shot a minister on live television? How do you sleep at night?"

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='14 May 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1273879812' post='2298062']"Field Marshal Malan, considering the highly controversial nature of your tenure and later resignation...why have you chosen to run in this election?"[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Field Marshal Petrus Malan sat up in his chair, somewhat a little surprised the attention was now on him. He made the most of his response:

“The Republican Military Government was only controversial because our ideological enemies and the hostile foreign press deemed it to be controversial.”

“If you consider what Transvaal had to endure due to its unfortunate defeat during the [Karma] War and take that into account, then I do not know many other people who either would disagree with what I had to do – nor had the capabilities and willpower to do what had to be done to save our homeland. It’s easy to sit back and throw criticism on the past from the safety and warm comforts of peaceful hindsight – but desperate times require desperate measures for survival. And our survival was at stake.”

“I have no regrets with my service record as a member and leader of the junta. Also keep in mind that the Republican Military Government was a temporary measure, I resigned when I saw our nation strong enough again for civilian rule – not because of any sort of internal nor external pressure.”

“After my resignation, the policies I had instituted and the solid leadership I provided during reconstruction prove popular enough that many loyalist supporters of the military government encouraged me to provide the same level of leadership and insight on a civilian level. After the strong and decisive level of support I received last election, it is only nautral that I stand for election this time around”[/color]

[quote name='The Disco Commandant' date='14 May 2010 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1273880730' post='2298069']"Van Matteus, does the current immigration policy affect or apply to simple visitation, such as tourism, world travel, etc?"
[/quote]

[color="#000080"]“No, it does not. It simply restricts who many apply for citizenship. Many people seem to have misconceptions to the extent of our laws and social policies - often taking them to extreme beyond their actual application. We still get accused by foreigners of racial segregation even though that has never been the case.” [/color]

[quote name='Vedran' date='14 May 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1273882647' post='2298087']"Ms. Van Matteus, how do you expect the good people of Transvaal and the world to take you seriously after you shot a minister on live television? How do you sleep at night?"[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Annetjie van Matteus was peturbed that little blesh was being dug up...

“That was an act which occurred during wartime. At the time the country was wracked by anarchy and I had to make an example to re-exert my authority. The ramifications have already been addressed and dealt with in our courts, so I see no need to further discuss this now-irrelevant issue from the past”[/color]

[quote name='Jordosaur94' date='14 May 2010 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1273886675' post='2298171']"Ms. Van Matteus, what is your opinion on the current war against Tahoe, considering the close diplomatic ties they have with Transvaal?"
[/quote]

[color="#000080"]“Naturally, we support the Tahoe Republic as far as the extent of our respected neutrality permits. On a humanitarian level, my government will assist as much as possible with medical needs as well as provide Tahomans fleeing the conflict a place of refuge.”

“On a military level, the Transvaler navy has been providing its Tahoman counterparts with intelligence regarding any belligerent ships that have been spotted on patrol or on inter-ocean transit in our territorial and regional waters around the Cape of Good Hope. This is something our navy has always done – peacetime or wartime.”

“Should the unthinkable occur and the legitimate Tahoman government collapse, there are contingency plans in place in regards to how Transvaal will assist with the preservation of the rightful government of the Taoiseach.”
[/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[color="#000080"]As Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus listened to the election early-returns broadcast on Radio-Transvaal, she was troubled as to her prospects. Unless there was a major push to get voters out to the polls in the next week, Transvaal was faced with the very real prospects of an inconclusive election. That would mean a run-off election the following month between the two candidates irrespective of party which gained the most of the popular vote. In all likelihood that would be herself and Frederik Geldenhuys.

Unlike other elections where the National Party had been able to gerrymander the voting procedures to typically ensure their own victory regardless who was running as their party candidates, a head-to-head battle with the DBP could be disastrous. When the electoral procedures were written up years ago, no one envisaged that Transvaal would face a low voter turnout. So in an attempt to make Transvaal’s election process appear to be more ‘fair’, the run-off situation was left without any checks in place to guarantee a National Party victory.

Now Van Matteus faced the irony of being the leader of essentially a one-party state being turfed out of office by a bunch of dissidents who were allowed to form under their own political banner to give the veneer of democracy to placate and silence foreign critics. Only two things went wrong however: first the dissidents did not willingly take on the role of pasties, and second no one ever expected the voters not to fulfill their national duty to go to the polls.

The very system which was rigged to ensure National Party dominance over Southern Africa was now a threat to its own dominance from a very small and previously regarded as harmless loophole.

Van Matteus sat back and regarded the consequences – not only to herself, but to the country she loved. No one really understood what the DBP stood for. They were obviously deemed as progressives however within the general conservative mindset of most South Africans – certainly amongst the whites – no one really knew just how radical their government would be. They claimed to be inspired by the period when Field Marshal Paul Cruywagen had to take the reins of the nation to keep the white supremacists hounds at bay. Cruywagen was no liberal socialist – but he also was no Christian nationalist either. If the DBP could maintain a centrist course and not open the floodgates to non-white immigration, then perhaps Transvaal would not be open to the always-feared threat of communist infiltration. However the DBP’s party structure was small compared to the institutionalised monolith of the National Party. Even though the DBP may have its grips on the top positions, the entire bureaucracy below them was still staunchly Nationalist in heart and soul. There was no way the DBP could be able to manage the nation without that entrenched bureaucracy. If the party leadership could not direct the nation, at least the party rank and file were still in a position to do so.

Of course, one had to wonder how Field Marshal Malan would react to a DBP government in Pretoria. The possibility of him leading a military coup ‘in salvation of the nation’ or under some other pseudo-political banner against Geldenhuys was a very real fact. And where were Cruywagen’s loyalties? Both marshals commanded enough troops loyal to them personally to make any sort of military takeover become bloody quickly if the two marshals ended up on opposing sides of the barricades.

The prime minister herself had not ruled out completely the notion of a coup to retain power. After all, if it looked like Malan was going to make a move, she may as well pre-empt him. If a dictatorship was inevitable, then a civilian dictatorship had a better chance of survival than a military dictatorship. Besides, it would force Malan to back her – as there was no way he would come out in support of the DBP government. Cruywagen was still an unknown factor; she knew that the old marshal detested her going all the way back to before her first term as prime minister in 2007.

Years ago Van Matteus would not have seconded guessed her limited options. However since being reunited with her daughter, the rescue of her secret and forbidden lover from Rome, and her trying her very best to put her bloody past behind her and run the country with an honest (as honest as any politician could afford to be in Southern Africa) and smiling face... Annetjie van Matteus now second guessed herself... for the first time in her life...[/color]

Edited by Botha

[color="#000080"][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2easdx3.jpg[/IMG]
[i][b]Annetjie van Matteus of Transvaal[/b][/i]

[b]VAN MATTEUS CLAIMS VICTORY IN FAILED ELECTION[/b]

[i]CYBERNATIONS NEWS NETWORK [PRETORIA]: [/i]A constitutional crisis is now looming in the Republic of Transvaal after incumbent prime minister Annetjie van Matteus claimed victory after an “inconclusive ballot” in that nation’s national elections for the 6th Session of the National [i]Volksraad[/i].

Official results have the National Party with 13 district seats in the [i]Volksraad[/i], the DBP with 8, and independent candidate Petrus Malan with 3. A minimum of 40 districts seats elected – the current ballot falls short by 16 districts – is required by law for that ballot to be regarded as legal and binding.

The opposition [i]Demokratiese Barakke Party[/i] is crying foul after polls closed at midnight on Sunday with only 24 electoral districts reporting decisive results – resulting in what the [i]Staatsregeringministrie van Nasionaalverkiesing[/i] (Department of National Elections) deems as an “inconclusive election”. According to Transvaler electoral law, a run-off ballot but be held no later than two weeks later between the two candidates with the most votes – Van Matteus and DBP leader Geldenhuys.

Annetjie van Matteus went on national television this morning and stated that “…the people of Transvaal have shown by their lack of interest that they really don’t care about elections…” and that "in the best interests of our nation", she would take office for a nine-month term as stipulated by the recent referendum passed where 62% of the electorate supported extending the term in office by three months. This would keep her in power until March 1, 2011. [/color]

Edited by Botha

"Arctica urges its neighbor to hold runoff elections between Van Matteus and Geldenhuys. Regardless of the people's apathy, the existing law must be respected. If the incumbent Prime Minister cannot retain her office by following established electoral law, she is not fit for office.

A second election must be called to determine a clear winner."

[quote name='The Disco Commandant' date='31 May 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1275366472' post='2318661']
OOC: aw man u just [i]had[/i] to use the hawt nazi girl from Indiana jones XD very funky my South African dude :awesome:
[/quote]

OOC: I've used two actresses to portray Van Matteus, this one more often between the two