Elections in Transvaal

Botha

Election Ballot for Republic of Transvaal  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Vedran' date='31 May 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1275366498' post='2318664']"Arctica urges its neighbor to hold runoff elections between Van Matteus and Geldenhuys. [/quote]

[color="#000080"]When she had heard this statement from the Arctican Government, Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus telephoned the Arctican ambassador Anton Dietz and requested to meet him in person at Government House to discuss Arctica’s opinion on the manner.[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='01 June 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1275373068' post='2318848']
[color="#000080"]When she had heard this statement from the Arctican Government, Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus telephoned the Arctican ambassador Anton Dietz and requested to meet him in person at Government House to discuss Arctica’s opinion on the manner.[/color]
[/quote]

"Of course, Prime Minister. I will come as soon as I am able."

As Dietz got out of his car in front of Government House, he still wasn't sure what exactly Van Matteus was going to say to him, but he imagined she was going to try to persuade him that she was the rightful leader.

[quote name='Vedran' date='01 June 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1275381730' post='2318908']he imagined she was going to try to persuade him that she was the rightful leader.[/quote]

[color="#000080"]After exchanging the usual pleasantries, Annetjie van Matteus cut to the chase with Ambassador Dietz.

She spoke calmly and quietly, yet still with a slight sense of urgency in her tone: “Mr. Ambassador, the diplomatic reaction from your country was to be expected. I would have been surprised if your government had been silent. However, I need you to convey to your government the difficult position I am in...”

“First, there was the very real possibility that a run-off election would have decided nothing, as our constitution does not clarify if the minimum 40 district results are required in a run-off ballot. We cannot keep having monthly elections if the electorate isn’t going to the polls. It would bring our government to a standstill.”

“However, as you probably know, there is the greater concern about the military’s stance on all this... should the DBP win a run-off vote. I think we both know that certain elements in the army would not remain on the sidelines. Make no mistake, the DBP will never gain power in this country – the bureaucracy and more so the military would conspire against it. It would be a doomed government - the quetsion being how and when it would be brought down.”

“So by claiming victory, I am trying to avoid the very real risks of a civil war and military rule.”

“Therefore, I ask you to ask your government this question: what would they prefer in Pretoria, a friendly, stable civilian administration with me at the head –or a military junta whose ties to Arctica would be strained and prone to instability and violence?” [/color]

[color="#000080"]Prime Minister Annetjie van Matteus announced today that a new [i]Nasionale Sosiale Sekerheid[/i] (National Social Security System) had been created by the new government.

“The Republic of Transvaal and my government are pleased to announce the formation of a national social security system” said the prime minister on Radio-Transvaal. Marthinus Hofmeyr will manage the new welfare system as a department of the Ministry of Finance.

In light of the constitutional crisis over the recent election results, Ms. van Matteus’ announcement comes as a surprise as the prime minister is known for her strong opposition to social democracy. It is believed the formation of a welfare system is a move to upstart the progressive opposition DBP and its supporters.[/color]

OOC: built Social Security system wonder

The ambassador nodded slowly. Taken at face value, the Prime Minister's explanation was reasonable. But she either did not see or did not want the Arcticans to consider the inverse of what she was saying.

"What you say is true, but then, by claiming victory you are also risking the same. As I understand, the DBP is strongly associated with the moderate camp of your military, which has been known to effect sudden changes in government." He paused for a moment to let this sink in.

"It is still too early to tell just how controversial your decision to claim victory will be, so you cannot be certain of this...but if you were to begin talks with the DBP to prevent the military factions from getting agitated, that may ease things. And I hear election reform has had good results in situations similar to this one. It would help clear up any discrepancies in the current law.

Of course I do not presume to tell you your business, but Arctica would hate for its closest neighbor to erupt into another civil war."

The ambassador wondered what exactly was going on in the Prime Minister's head at that moment. "If your request still stands, then I will relay your message to my government but I doubt it will be well received."

[color="#000080"]Van Matteus generally felt she needed to be on her guard whenever dealing with Arctican diplomats but this time she decided that her position vis à vis the Arctican government would be strengthened if she simply laid out the bare and basic facts they way she saw them; she spoke in a calm, precise tone which borderline-hinted she was lecturing Ambassador Dietz – however she tried to downplay that by smiling in a friendly, non-threatening manner:

“There is no moderate camp in the military anymore – except perhaps in the [i]Lugmag [/i](airforce), and that branch has no influence whatsoever in the socio-political contexts.”

“You see, Ambassador, the two recent, major wars which have plagued Transvaal have literally killed off most of the DBP’s powerbase in the army. The DBP was a more viable force in the days of the Federal Republic – but now that Transvaal has re-aligned with Nordreich, the military and its recruits are now much more susceptible to that orgnaisation’s propaganda and values. In other words, the wars have since buried the DBP under. Literally six feet under...”

“The foreign media, foreign governments for that matter, have a misguided appreciation for the DBP. They do not comprehend that while it may gain a lot of civilian political support in our elections, that support does not necessarily translate into political power. You see, even if people dislike what the [i]government[/i]…” and the manner Van Matteus stressed the word government, she implied a National Party government, “… for the vast majority of Transvalers, white Transvalers, and even some coloureds, the alternative is incomprehensible and too drastic to contemplate. Ultimately our people are kept in line with fear, but not from fear emanating from the government, but rather fear of without…”

“The generation now that mans the military has little memory, if at all, of Hertzogian centrists, progressives, and whatnots from the days of Federal Republic. Only Field Marshal Cruywagen remains as a lone reminder of those days – but as long as he remains determined to remain outside of the political arena, then the military will continue to come under the sway of Field Marhsal Malan – who admires the authoritarianism style of government exemplified by Nordreich.”

“And yes, I would appreciate it if you could convey to your government our conversation – off the record, of course – as my personal courtesy to advise our closet neighbour and ally in Africa.”

What she hoped to accomplish was to sow the same seeds of fear amongst the Arcticans that she touched on: that fear of Transvaler instability and political vaccum was a much greater threat to Arctica - and Africa for that matter - than some simple ‘electoral irregularities’.[/color]

Edited by Botha

Dietz realized that she was telling him the truth. He was disappointed, but didn't let it show. He wondered briefly if there was something that she was not aware of, but realized that she wouldn't have kept herself in power for this long if she didn't have the whole picture.

"I see what you are saying, Prime Minister. I regret that the political situation in your country does not allow these elections to conclude in a more democratic manner. Nevertheless, I will relay your message to my government, but I make no promises about that."

[color="#000080"]“Your opinion is understandable, and I appreciate you coming here to hear me out. I suppose the easiest way to convey this – if there is opposition to my course of action – is to put it this way: clearly, who would Arctica prefer ruling Transvaal? Myself… or Malan… or Strijdom? I realise that Arctican public opinion of me is rather low, but I am also sure that Malan and Strijdom have even fewer admirers in Arctica.”

Ambassador Deitz was about to stand up and depart – but Van Matteus interrupted him before he could.

“Excuse me, Ambassador, there is perhaps one more thing that we should discuss while I have you here, concerning Transvaler-Arctican relations. The joint administration territory in northern Mozambique has not had any elections for over six months. It is probably now time that our governments organize new gubernatorial elections for Arctican and Transvaler governors.”[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='08 June 2010 - 09:30 PM' timestamp='1276050582' post='2329548']
[color="#000080"]“Your opinion is understandable, and I appreciate you coming here to hear me out. I suppose the easiest way to convey this – if there is opposition to my course of action – is to put it this way: clearly, who would Arctica prefer ruling Transvaal? Myself… or Malan… or Strijdom? I realise that Arctican public opinion of me is rather low, but I am also sure that Malan and Strijdom have even fewer admirers in Arctica.”[/quote][/color]

The ambassador looked surprised. While he was prepared to answer that question, he had certainly not expected it - but, he thought, he probably should have. In the Arcticans' eyes, it had never really been a right-or-wrong situation over there in Transvaal, it was about who was the least radical. "Well, Prime Minister, historically my government - and many of the people - have favored the less...extreme elements of your government. And I suppose that, at the moment, that would be you." Dietz pursed his lips slightly. He felt a little uncomfortable with what he had said. "Do not take that as an endorsement, that is just our view of the situation."

Ambassador Deitz was about to stand up and depart – but Van Matteus interrupted him before he could.

[quote][color="#000080"]“Excuse me, Ambassador, there is perhaps one more thing that we should discuss while I have you here, concerning Transvaler-Arctican relations. The joint administration territory in northern Mozambique has not had any elections for over six months. It is probably now time that our governments organize new gubernatorial elections for Arctican and Transvaler governors.”[/color]
[/quote]

"Yes, I agree. It has been some time since an election, and as I understand it, people back home are not pleased with the current administration. Governor Hull has gone through with his promises for increased security, but he has taken virtually no steps to better the living conditions there.

And about the territory, the extra troops we sent there during your most recent civil war have been withdrawn since."

Edited by Vedran