Grammar Mistake

Jazzy95

I think it's a bug.
I was reading the bug about Nukes and I read the defeat alert

Subject: Defeat Alert

Message: Your nation has been defeated in battle. You do not have enough troops to defend your nation and your government has been thrown into Anarchy. You have lost all of your tanks, 7 spies, 60.65 infrastructure has been destroyed, 16.00 technology was lost and $5,000,000.00 of your money reserves [b]was[/b] destroyed due to the invasion and resulting riots.[b] What troops you did have[/b] deployed have also been returned home.

Mistake 1: It should be were
Mistake 2: I don't know if it is a mistake but it certainly doesn't roll off the tounge

It looks like "was" is referring back to "money" and not "reserves", which makes sense.

'2' could be "What troops you had deployed...", but I think it may be grammatically correct already.

It looks like money is actually an adjective because it is describing what kind of reserve it is

And 2- I was just saying it didn't toll off the tongue but it is correct :P

Edited by Krausberg

[quote name='Krausberg' date='07 March 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1267999293' post='2217219']
I think it's a bug.
I was reading the bug about Nukes and I read the defeat alert

Subject: Defeat Alert

Message: Your nation has been defeated in battle. You do not have enough troops to defend your nation and your government has been thrown into Anarchy. You have lost all of your tanks, 7 spies, 60.65 infrastructure has been destroyed, 16.00 technology was lost and $5,000,000.00 of your money reserves [b]was[/b] destroyed due to the invasion and resulting riots.[b] What troops you did have[/b] deployed have also been returned home.

Mistake 1: It should be were
Mistake 2: I don't know if it is a mistake but it certainly doesn't roll off the tounge
[/quote]

If it's a defined amount of money it takes the singular verb.. so it should be "was". Example: $5,000,000 were added to the coffer is incorrect (and sounds incorrect); $5,000,000 was added to the coffer is correct (and, indeed, sounds correct.) And the second part seems fine to me. In fact, the big grammar mistake in the above post is on your end: tongue is not spelled tounge.

Edited by Penkala

[quote name='Penkala' date='11 March 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1268334965' post='2222337']
If it's a defined amount of money it takes the singular verb.. so it should be "was". Example: $5,000,000 were added to the coffer is incorrect (and sounds incorrect); $5,000,000 was added to the coffer is correct (and, indeed, sounds correct.) And the second part seems fine to me. In fact, the big grammar mistake in the above post is on your end: tongue is not spelled tounge.
[/quote]

I agree with this, so therefore I agree with myself. The grammar sounds fine here.