Prototype Weapons

Arkantos

If a weapon that only ever reached prototype stage, like the XM8, is a weapon we want to use, but it was canceled before it reached development stage, can we RP the completion of the research and production of the weapon?

If a weapon that only ever reached prototype stage, like the XM8, is a weapon we want to use, but it was canceled before it reached development stage, can we RP the completion of the research and production of the weapon?

If you have modern technology and have no saved stats...I don't think there is anything that stops you.

I don't see the problem with that. The problem is that it WAS scrapped for a reason, and fixing it probably causes problems. You'll have to come up with a realistic solution for it to be effective I think. But that's just my opinion.

I don't see the problem with that. The problem is that it WAS scrapped for a reason, and fixing it probably causes problems. You'll have to come up with a realistic solution for it to be effective I think. But that's just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the main reason was Congress didn't want to give funding, it didn't meet the weight requirements, there was a problem with overheating on the handgrip, and the magazine needed to be fixed... I personally wouldn't care about the weight all the much, and the other stuff isn't all that difficult.

Generally, if it was in-development, then canceled, its one stage higher than the time. For example, a weapon that was in-development in 1985 then canceled would be a modern weapon, a weapon in development in 2003 then canceled would be a first world weapon.

Both the X8 and XM-25 would be first world weapons, needing 1500 tech +.

Since no one has developed it, I would expect that you would need to start from scratch; but there isn't really anything stopping you. I can be considered a third-world to first-world "no new stuff" nation (second world?), but I've made my own tank and my own gun.

For the record, I don't follow the "third world, first world" thing at all, nor' the old tech scale. I just have fun. :)

Edited by JerreyRough

I have the XM8 listed as a weapon, but I'll give it a month to be developed as a weapon, then I'll do what the U.S. does: Test weapons with the special forces, if it works great and they like it, introduce it to the regular army.

Edited by Arkantos

The tech scale is a guide line not a rule so he doesn't have to follow it if he doesn't want to.

Eh, then its grounds to purge during a war, and suddenly your troops have no weapons, or your planes don't exist. ect.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully I'm not grave digging here... But an XM-8 is not a war winner. In fact, it has no strategic (not tactical, not individual, it may have those) over an AK-74 or an AR-15.

Your money is far better vested in larger weapons.

Edited by ElCid

Hopefully I'm not grave digging here... But an XM-8 is not a war winner. In fact, it has no strategic (not tactical, not individual, it may have those) over an AK-74 or an AR-15.

Your money is far better vested in larger weapons.

Topic's been dead for a week and is no CNRP-factbook or CNRP-newsthread.

This may just be a gravedig. However, I do share the sentiment that the XM-8 could be vastly improved.

Still looks cool, though. B)