Yet Another Attempt to Organize the History of CN

John Michaels

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above is about as absolutely compact of summary you will find that covers the major events from first 1.5 years of CN. There could be much more detail, though it looks like anything edited out could show bias.

Most Cliff's Notes versions you may find that cover nearly 2 years most likely have a hidden agenda.

This is very true. The nature of everything that occurs in CN is so interconnected that even some "minor" events being excised could make certain sections later on confusing. There is hardly an excess of detail here, things just happen really fast.

Important bolded parts are either wrong or do not tell the full story. Let me correct it for you ;)

However, the early days of June would have the spotlight shone on a different alliance. The newly sanctioned Organized Nations of Superiority were an up-and-coming alliance known throughout the Cyberverse for their good-humoured spam and affability. ONOS sought an independent foreign policy, or at least one that would not have them tied to the traditional powers of the Cyberverse. Together with the North Atlantic Defense Coalition and the Commonwealth of Sovereign Nations, ONOS had founded the neutral Bloc GUARD in December 2006, a group that enjoyed the status of the second largest bloc in the Cyberverse for much of its existence.

ONOS would not be able to maintain its strong growth however, as internal disputes wrenched several top government officials out of the alliance. Da Choice, one of those displaced members, eventually joined the New Pacific Order, and allegedly made accusations that ONOS had been operating a spy ring within many of the top alliances, including the NPO. Despite these accusations however, the NPO would cite the theft of one of their confidential nation-building guides by ONOS as the principal cause of strife between the two. The NPO offered ONOS an ultimatum, which stipulated the acceptance of an Ivan Moldavi viceroyalty and the payment of 800 million in cash, or a war would ensue. As the GUARD constituencies were reviewing the evidence, ONOS submitted their resignation from the Bloc in order to spare their allies from attack by the Initiative.

ONOS accepted the NPO’s ultimatum, but this would not be enough: the NPO had found evidence that Michael4 , the highest-ranking government member of ONOS, had altered the ONOS forums prior to Ivan Moldavi’s masking as Viceroy, and had offended the Emperor of the NPO by addressing him as “Moo-tang,” a name the Emperor would later ironically embrace. The NPO declared War on ONOS on June third

The accurate version:

ONOS would not be able to maintain its strong growth however, which was mainly due to the ex AEGIS members joining ONOS and changing the internal culture, which 2 members did not like. Another government official, Da Choice, a high ranking official, decided to venture into ONOS' forum admin section on the boards one fateful night and procure vague info that would later help bring down the downfall of a certain neutral alliance. He then copied and posted NPO's nation building guide - which was buried deep in the ONOS' 'Recycling Area' section of the forums and was only available to Admin members (there were 4, with DC being one) - and passed it on to NPO, claiming we were using it. However, this was not the case. In actuality, DaChoice had joined NPO back in late 2006, copied their guide, came to ONOS, posted it, and then had his nation building guide post removed for obvious reasons. After DC spied and defected, the Emperor of the NPO and an IO, Bakunin, barged into ONOS' irc channel, demanding to speak to the leader. They cornered one of the leaders in a private irc room and offered ONOS an ultimatum, which stipulated the acceptance of an Ivan Moldavi viceroyalty or war (*there was no money involved*) - ONOS had 24hrs to decide. NPO simultanously contacted IRON, NADC and other GUARD signatories, saying that ONOS was going to get rolled no matter what. Spearheaded by NADC, and not consulting ONOS, ONOS was ejected within hours from GUARD and no representative of ONOS was notified. Only CSN remained steadfast in their unofficial support for their brethen alliance.

ONOS accepted the NPO’s ultimatum, and explicitly told the two NPO representatives that ONOS website was privately owned by its leader, The Godfather, and could not be handed over since ONOS members in the negotiation did not have the actual power to hand over the ONOS forum.

This part:

"... but this would not be enough: the NPO had found evidence that Michael4 , the highest-ranking government member of ONOS, had altered the ONOS forums prior to Ivan Moldavi’s masking as Viceroy, and had offended the Emperor of the NPO by addressing him as “Moo-tang,” a name the Emperor would later ironically embrace."

is wrong. Michael4 was not the highest gov't member, it was the forum owner and leader of the alliance that was number 1, The Godfather. Michael was the 2nd highest. Firstly, the NPO never got their hands on the original ONOS forums, plus Michael did not have the capacity to alter the original forums in any way, so the above point is either a lie or a mix up. NPO set up their own ONOS forums several days later.

And I'm glad that Moo ironically embraced my nickname for him.

The above is about as absolutely compact of summary you will find that covers the major events from first 1.5 years of CN. There could be much more detail, though it looks like anything edited out could show bias.

Most Cliff's Notes versions you may find that cover nearly 2 years most likely have a hidden agenda.

How about this one?

CN History:

Alliances formed.

Alliances fought.

Alliances went lol.

Alliances disbanded.

Alliances treatied.

Blocs formed.

Blocs fought.

Blocs went lol.

Blocs disbanded.

Blocs treatied.

Things Happened.

Really Important Things Happened.

Really Unexpected Things Happened.

Boring Things Happened.

Insignificant Things Happened.

Stuff.

I'd say it's pretty good and concise. :v:

Can I has a tl;dr?

This history is a tl;dr. It is in by no means a comprehensive discussion of the finer points and many alliances are unfortunately glossed over. This isn't a collection of alliance histories. There's a reason the GPA didn't get that much mention, and it's because barring the war with the NPO they have gone out of their way to be non-existent. If you don't have the time or effort to read through the history, well, too damn bad. I can't trim it down any further because important events are going to be glossed over.

tl;dr No

Also, to Petrovich: I appreciate the insight, and with some editing, would like permission to add your suggestions to the history.

EDIT: FOr your viewing pleasure here is the edited version as it stands:

ONOS would not be able to maintain its strong growth however, which was mainly due to the ex AEGIS members joining ONOS and changing the internal culture, which 2 members did not like. Another government official, Da Choice, a high ranking official, decided to venture into ONOS' forum admin section on the boards one fateful night and procure vague info that would later help bring down the downfall of a certain neutral alliance. He then copied and posted NPO's nation building guide - which was buried deep in the ONOS' 'Recycling Area' section of the forums and was only available to Admin members (there were 4, with DC being one) - and passed it on to NPO, claiming we were using it. However, this was not the case. In actuality, DaChoice had joined NPO back in late 2006, copied their guide, came to ONOS, posted it, and then had his nation building guide post removed for obvious reasons.

After DC spied and defected, Emperor TrotskysRevenge and an Imperial Officer, Bakunin, of the NPO contacted ONOS leadership. They offered ONOS an ultimatum, which stipulated the acceptance of an Ivan Moldavi viceroyalty or war - ONOS had 24 hours to decide. NPO simultaneously contacted IRON, NADC and other GUARD signatories, saying that they would destroy ONOS no matter what. Spearheaded by NADC, ONOS was ejected within hours from GUARD without being contacted. Only CSN offered any unofficial support to ONOS. They accepted the NPO’s ultimatum, and explicitly told the two NPO representatives that their website was privately owned by its leader, The Godfather, and could not be handed over since members in the negotiation did not have the actual power to hand over the ONOS forum.

Edited by John Michaels

I actually read what's there through to the end. Very nice work, it flows well. I could contribute, but I would be a researcher rather than a secondary source in myself...

I'd be more than willing to take on researchers who are willing to find old threads, IRC logs, forum posts, treaties, conduct interviews with important veterans, largely because I don't have the time for this stuff myself.

How about this one?

CN History:

Alliances formed.

Alliances fought.

Alliances went lol.

Alliances disbanded.

Alliances treatied.

Blocs formed.

Blocs fought.

Blocs went lol.

Blocs disbanded.

Blocs treatied.

Things Happened.

Really Important Things Happened.

Really Unexpected Things Happened.

Boring Things Happened.

Insignificant Things Happened.

Stuff.

I'd say it's pretty good and concise. :v:

Yes, that would be the Cliff's Notes version, without bias. I was incorrect in my statement above and must amend it.

"Shorter Cliff's Notes versions of history that you may find will contain either an agenda, or zero useful information." :D

I'd be more than willing to take on researchers who are willing to find old threads, IRC logs, forum posts, treaties, conduct interviews with important veterans, largely because I don't have the time for this stuff myself.

I'd love to help out in that; do you want to take this to PM to organise in more detail?

Yes, please add John M. :)

There is obviously more to the history which has not been told from that time (VE about to join GUARD, then WUT realizing their interest and acted upon it before it was 'too late'; 'evidence' collected against GPA; ES pre planning to take out NADC nearly a full year before they actually did so; NADC led (lol) NPO war around late August which would have delayed UJP war by a couple months at least, perhaps leading to a UJP-~ stalemate, etc). Ahhhh the frustrating times back then!

I tried to make my contributions as concise as possible without going into too much depth. Also, lets keep this historical record as objective as possible so if anyone feels the need to add/criticize my part, plz do :)

There is a problem with your first section, where you name the NAAC.

The first of these was the Greenland Republic, better known by its later name the National Association of Arctic Countries (NAAC).

It is the National ALLIANCE of Arctic Countries. Just thought I'd point this out so that history is written as accurately as possible.

Yes, that would be the Cliff's Notes version, without bias. I was incorrect in my statement above and must amend it.

"Shorter Cliff's Notes versions of history that you may find will contain either an agenda, or zero useful information." :D

Oi, I good-sir am deeply hurt and insulted. That cliff's note of that cliff's note contains a plethora of information, and easily covers everything that happened in Cybernations to date.

Flamethrowers at dawn (two paces) I say! :v:

Lacks a lot of Information over IRON.

here are a few things I remember

IRON was previously a "Independent" Alliance close to Neutral, after the pressure it had known to choose a side during GWIII, it was planned to get out of it through an ODP With ONOS but it was never posted due to ONOS stupidly spying.

IRON effectively got out of Independency by attacking FAN through its not yet announced but signed treaty with MCXA, effectively getting IRON out of Neutrality.

Also, I was said in OPSEC during the GOONS war that it was previously planned for GOONS and FAN to ally during the FAN-WUT war but that GOONS betrayed it. Not sure whether this was true or propaganda but it did go in private military channels.

for all that goes after, well, we got bigger, we went allies with NpO against UJP. As far as I know, IRON has been called Bandwagoner, RON (FAN-WUT), Meatshield (UJW) and cowards, RON again (Karma War). so it pretty much sums up the fact we have been the best alliance making the best moves so far :D

The ODP was posted and the ODP wasn't an ODP, it was an MDP. The ODP was a fake, it was a secret MDP. My alliance and myself signed it, as well as Furytear. The leadership wished for it so I obliged through majority vote.

Edited by Ejayrazz

I was the main author of the later four parts of the history, and wouldn't mind contributing to any future endeavors. Granted, I made some mistakes, but it was essentially me and a few editors who wrote them, so I cannot claim infallibility. :P

• 1 month later...

Though this topic is old, I feel that simply making a new one is a waste, so I'm dredging it back up. If a mod thinks this is grave-digging, feel free to close the topic, even if you are wrong. <_<

Welp, it seems that due to my own apathy, this project fell by the wayside. Hopefully, now that I have free time, I can get started on the Unjust War chapter. I've decided you're all lazy and unreliable so I'm going to do this solo from here on unless I really need help.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is the second time I've dragged this topic out of the abyss, but hopefully it will not be the last. When I last stopped posting here I stated the Unjust War chapter would be in the works. It wasn't. At the time, my main priority was revising the older sections (I.E. the ones I wrote) to be more detailed, more informative, more impartial, more academic, and less bad Tom Clancy novel (although some be consider that redundant). After being derailed several times due to the Karma War and obligations to internal reform in the VE, I buckled down and finished rewriting my sections of the history. As of this post I have sent the revised text to my colleague Doitzel, who will no doubt berate me about how much better than me he is, and when that is complete the new stuff will be unveiled to all of you for great justice.

Now, to business. Because the whole affair is so long and drawn out, I think it wouldn't hurt to split things up. My current plan is to divide CN history by volumes, indicating the eras of our world. As of yet, two volumes of history have passed, with a third yet to be written with the Karma War now at a conclusion. Now that I can read my earliest work without cringing, I think it's a good time to bring this history up to date. As we last left off, the world was ready for war, and even though everyone involved in the UJH and Initiative told anyone that would listen there would never be a war, everyone, their dog, and their dogs fleas knew what would happen next.

Now, the Unjust War itself is something I can cover, as there's enough information on the CN wiki to write all about that nonsense. My problem lies with the period between October of '07 and the War of the Coalition, because while I know everything from this point until the Karma War was a load of boring, indulgent !@#$%^&* that can best be summed up as "Everyone gets in a rat race to plant their lips on the NPO's behind," I still feel obligated as chronicler to copy it all down against my better judgment. Therefore, I ask you, the community, to help me put this jigsaw puzzle together and summarize the major happenings during this period. Thank you and be ready, for this most ancient and unwieldy of texts is going to get even longer.

For the last damn time, ONOS was not in the CoaLUEtion. Hell, we weren't even a public alliance at the time of the war.

)):

Also I am bringing this back up because, Cheyenne, not only WERE you in the CoaLUEtion, YOU SPECIFICALLY ASKED ME TO ADD ONOS TO THE LIST IN THE OLD HISTORY THREAD.

<_<

Trying to write the history of CN is a huge undertaking and actually writing a piece that covers the UJW must have been quite a challenge.

Good luck trying to write the chapters on the karma war and trying to keep it clear of too much propaganda.

Right now i've seen mini-alliances claim they won the war single handed and many people disagree just how the war started in the first place. Good luck.