Seems a bit silly to me...

"Nuclear weapons may not be launched until after 24 hours after declaring war. "

That kind of defeats the strategy of surprise attacks, doesn't it? I mean, I understand the idea that Nukes are devastating, and a one two punch overnight could screw your nation up, but personally, if I have nukes in my arsenal, I would want them to go in the first wave of attacks, not after my enemy has had an opportunity to build one and perhaps toss it my way simultaneously.

I could see doing something like, say, giving the attacker a minus to his population's happiness if they initiate a nuclear attack, to reflect the protests that attack would invoke. But if you are really trying to simulate a world conflict, first strike plays an important role in building strategies.

BTW, I do not have nukes, I'm just a teeny country, just thought that sentence really stuck out on the description page.

If you declare war at 11:59, does this imply that you could then toss a nuke at 12:01, or would you have to wait until 11:59 of the following night?

You can surprise attack an enemy without using nukes right away. It's easy to score an anarchy at update just using ground attacks. Using nukes is just plain mean.

Edit: Yeah, I see that it's not brilliant realism, but then, neither is grabbing 50 miles of your opponent's land, dragging it halfway across the world, and sticking it onto your nation. If you wanted realism you chose the wrong game.

Edited by A Soviet Attack

"Nuclear weapons may not be launched until after 24 hours after declaring war. "

That kind of defeats the strategy of surprise attacks, doesn't it? I mean, I understand the idea that Nukes are devastating, and a one two punch overnight could screw your nation up, but personally, if I have nukes in my arsenal, I would want them to go in the first wave of attacks, not after my enemy has had an opportunity to build one and perhaps toss it my way simultaneously.

I could see doing something like, say, giving the attacker a minus to his population's happiness if they initiate a nuclear attack, to reflect the protests that attack would invoke. But if you are really trying to simulate a world conflict, first strike plays an important role in building strategies.

BTW, I do not have nukes, I'm just a teeny country, just thought that sentence really stuck out on the description page.

If you declare war at 11:59, does this imply that you could then toss a nuke at 12:01, or would you have to wait until 11:59 of the following night?

You obviously weren't around for when we could fire off the nukes right away.

Delaying nukes 24 hours was the best way to have some sort of competitive balance, the advantage was far too much in favor of the attacker. A nuke strike plus a quad attack on a nation sitting in DEFCON 5? Yeah, your goose was cooked.

You have to wait 24 hours after declaring war to fire a nuke. That means you have to wait 24 hours, not 2 minutes.

Edited by Electron Sponge

Yeah, I see that it's not brilliant realism, but then, neither is grabbing 50 miles of your opponent's land, dragging it halfway across the world, and sticking it onto your nation. If you wanted realism you chose the wrong game.

LM*O, you got me there, well said!!!

No it implies that if you declare at any time from 11:00:01 PM Game Time to 11:59:59 PM Game Time on the 6th of May, random date as an example, you will have to wait until 00:00:01 AM on the 8th of May to launch your nukes as the game rounds time up to the next hour and starts the 24 hour clock then.

So by declaring after 11PM Game Time you are effectively losing the ability to nuke for two "game days". Also much of the advantage that existed previously would no longer exist if the war system was divorced from the game update.

Edited by Lord Emares

No it implies that if you declare at any time from 11:00:01 PM Game Time to 11:59:59 PM Game Time on the 6th of May, random date as an example, you will have to wait until 00:00:01 AM on the 8th of May to launch your nukes as the game rounds time up to the next hour and starts the 24 hour clock then.

So by declaring after 11PM Game Time you are effectively losing the ability to nuke for two "game days". Also much of the advantage that existed previously would no longer exist if the war system was divorced from the game update.

24 hours is still 24 hours.

24 hours is still 24 hours.

There is something to be said for the 'rounding up' point; I have always had to wait MORE than 24 hours to fire one off. 24 1/2 ... 25 ... but never exactly 24 or 24 hours and one second for that matter.

You obviously weren't around for when we could fire off the nukes right away.

Delaying nukes 24 hours was the best way to have some sort of competitive balance, the advantage was far too much in favor of the attacker. A nuke strike plus a quad attack on a nation sitting in DEFCON 5? Yeah, your goose was cooked.

You have to wait 24 hours after declaring war to fire a nuke. That means you have to wait 24 hours, not 2 minutes.

I dunno, I remember the days when you could resign and immediately go nuclear rogue on someone. Like when the Commies invaded Maroon and Kommando resigned and minutes later had nuked Martens. Good times were had by all. And by good times, I mean everyone but the person who was nuked.

Edited by Black Phoenix

Nukes aren't immoral :/

its a game :P

it does take a suprise factor out but quad attacks are easy enougth to do, and good enougth to keep the element of suprise in the game i guess.

Nukes arnt fun to take. end of story :P

Edited by Ada069

Is it not 25 hours? For some reason, I thought it was.

Well, you'll see that quoted. Using 25 hours is the quick and dirty method as you'll be good to go under all situations. And it's easier to understand for many than how to arrive at the actual exact time you can nuke. But it can be much less than that; just more than exactly 24 hours.

Yes. So basically, the attacked almost always wins... :/

You should give the defender a small chance at the very least by not going full nuclear blast. Nukes piss me off anyway... lower my environment level by like 3 stars. :/