Purchase and Sale of "land"

V The King

Hardly hundreds. Well, maybe a century ago for the most recent--but the point is these things do have precedents.

As Sargun correctly pointed out, there has been very little land transactions in the last century - and those consisted of very, very small portions of territory. Territory nowadays is so valuable that control over rocks in the ocean have caused relations between countries to degrade a lot!

Plus, might I point out, nearly all of the older overseas transactions were made almost exclusively by vast colonial empires/major world powers, because they were the ones who actually had money to spend! An exception could be the Belgian Congo, but that's because Leopold himself had a $%&@load of money to spend, and he had the consent of all major colonial powers.

As Sargun correctly pointed out, there has been very little land transactions in the last century - and those consisted of very, very small portions of territory. Territory nowadays is so valuable that control over rocks in the ocean have caused relations between countries to degrade a lot!

Plus, might I point out, nearly all of the older overseas transactions were made almost exclusively by vast colonial empires/major world powers, because they were the ones who actually had money to spend! An exception could be the Belgian Congo, but that's because Leopold himself had a $%&@load of money to spend, and he had the consent of all major colonial powers.

But who's to prevent us from playing from the days of the 1800s... why does everything we do have to revolve around the present day? Is it the technology? No, no it's not. The only thing that prevents us from this '18th-19th century' mindset is our RL mindset of 'political correctness'. What governed such things were more cultural, social, political aspects of life. However, we can choose to disregard most of those and go on our merry way purchasing land, enslaving people, etc.

As for the second point... overseas possessions came into being into three ways... explore, conquer (in a military sense and a political sense, to be very broad), and buy. Of course the major powers had a higher price to sell oversea possessions... however the price tag can be different between the two parties. It should be a realistic number... but most land transactions were between 'major' powers, but the United States back than would be hardly classes as a 'major' power... but it still bought land.

I think people keep forgetting that this is RP and not real-life.

(For the lesser-thinkers, I'm for selling land, akin to Mykep's position)

I once again bring this up, and back Quest07. Everything does not have to revolve around Real Life. If they offer it for that low of a price, then another country would be as sure as hell to buy if (if they needed it) because its so cheap.

This will not degrade RP if its continued to be RP'ed.

You know, its not like there haven't been massive land transactions in reality. Most Americans should know what I mean.

I do not oppose these transactions, but I think they should be RPed a lot better. Just being like "lol moniez" and not RPing anything regarding the local people or the local buildings is silly.

Edited by Kaiser Martens

You know, its not like there haven't been massive land transactions in reality. Most Americans should know what I mean.

I do not oppose these transactions, but I think they should be RPed a lot better. Just being like "lol moniez" and not RPing anything regarding the local people or the local buildings is silly.

I agree with that. I suppose land dealing, but when people only RP land being transferred, money wired, and other stuff, it gets annoying. Instead, the CNRPers should RP local people trying to adapt to the new government, revolts, and etc.

I'd like to point out that the majority of the US's land purchases were within it's, for lack of better words, sphere of influence, and they were sold for very good reasons. The Louisiana Purchase was sold by France because they were in debt and anticipated the coming war. The US and Russia were building a telegraph line to connect Europe to the Americas, Russia backed out, and fearing a North American country would take Alaska from them, they decided to sell it to the highest bidder.

Anyway I agree, try using a little more detail, and try to stay near what you can reasonably control.

I'd like to point out that the majority of the US's land purchases were within it's, for lack of better words, sphere of influence, and they were sold for very good reasons. The Louisiana Purchase was sold by France because they were in debt and anticipated the coming war. The US and Russia were building a telegraph line to connect Europe to the Americas, Russia backed out, and fearing a North American country would take Alaska from them, they decided to sell it to the highest bidder.

Anyway I agree, try using a little more detail, and try to stay near what you can reasonably control.

Now this, I can agree to.