Wrong ethinics

tinerfe

Arab/Berber is a wrong ethnic, ou a person is arab, or is berber. In fact, are enemy ethnics, berber is the native of canary islands (invaded for spain) and north africa (invaded by arabs). A example of berber, is morocco queen or Zidane (from Kabylia, north Algeria), please, create separate ethnics, Arab or Berber. The native name of berber is Amazigh, that means, "free man"

To the OP, it's worth noting that there's a difference between 'Arab/Berber', as you quoted it, and 'Arab-Berber' as the game quotes it. 'Arab/Berber' could also be read as 'Arab or Berber', which would suggest that the two are one and the same and why this may have offended. However, the game calls the ethnicity 'Arab-Berber', which could be read as the Berber sub-division of the Arab ethnic group. There is a separate Arab option for ethnicity so there is no doubt that admin has identified a difference between Arab and Berber (or Arab-Berber), just that the research done refers to the Berber ethnic group as 'Arab-Berber' so that is the phrase that is used (probably because the area inhabited by Berbers is part of what is traditionally known as Arabia).

However, the game calls the ethnicity 'Arab-Berber', which could be read as the Berber sub-division of the Arab ethnic group.

Berbers are not part of the "Arab ethnic group" but are a separate group[1][2][3][4] themselves. Arab-Berbers as "Berbers sub-division of the Arabs" are like Spanish-Italian as "Italian sub-division of the Spanish": imaginary and imaginative, but non-existent.

there is no doubt that admin has identified a difference between Arab and Berber (or Arab-Berber), just that the research done refers to the Berber ethnic group as 'Arab-Berber' so that is the phrase that is used (probably because the area inhabited by Berbers is part of what is traditionally known as Arabia).

The Berbers inhabit the North of Africa, especially Algeria[5] and Morocco[6], but also Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and other African countries. They have nothing to do with Arabia (that's in a different continent).

350px-Morocco_ethno_1973_all.svg.png

Ethnolinguistic groups in Morocco.

(Wikipedia)

Berbers history is entangled with Arabs', but they anyway have their own distinct languages, culture and genetic heritage. In linguistics Berber[7][8] is a family in itself as opposed to Semitic (that includes Arab).

I don't think that Berbers could be considered equal to Arabs in any shape or form, and they're not "Arab-Berbers".

Notes:

[1] Berbers according to the Encyclopædia Britannica.

[2] Berbers according to Wikipedia.

[3] Berbers according to the Columbia Encyclopedia.

[4] Berbers according to Phoeniciana.org.

[5] Algerian Ethnic Groups according to Wikipedia.

[6] Demographics of Morocco according to Wikipedia.

[7] Afro-Asiatic Phylum Tree at Ethnologue.com.

[8] Berber languages according to Wikipedia.

(Sorry for posting after five days, but I felt that the issue wasn't solved properly and I hope this is interesting enough to warrant it)

Edited by jerdge

The issue was answered in the post above mine, I was merely trying to explain to the OP why someone without an in-depth knowledge of the Berber people may find it acceptable to describe them as they have been (and pretty much proved how it can happen with my mis-information, although I was sure North Africa was considered part of 'old Arabia', not of course what we consider the 'Arabian Penninsula' today). I guess by using information such as the CIA world factbook (if admin does actually do that) as a reference to describe places/people terms are bound to be used that help Americans understand them better rather than being 100% accurate to people of those areas.

EDIT: Very impressive research by the way ;)

Edited by Kowalski