Cybernations Additions

Shimmer

I've recently sat and listened to a lot of people talk. CN since its creation a few years ago has not expanded quite as much as i'd of hoped. The only thing that seems to be added in CN is the war part of the game. We've gotten Spys, Battle Attacks, More Nukes, Navys and an airforce. Diplomatically we haven't gotten anything which dampers the simulation. Economically nothing much has prevailed except a few wonders to keep us upper nations busy and still buying infra >,<.

So, basically how do you feel?

Do you feel CN is a Simulation Game or Becoming a War game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a global stockmarket or universal trading where you put up what you have and what you want and then people that have what you want take it and get what you offer. Like you have 3 million and want 50 tech.

Basically thats an improvement on the foreign aid system. Diplomatically perhaps a tab where an single nation can sign a treaty with another nation. Like in spread sheet forum

Date: Nation A: Nation B: Treaty Type: Link(treaty hosted like in a notepad on a cn game-site):

Date: Nation A: Nation C: Treaty Type: Link:

etc

Rather or not that uses up a lot of space i have no clue. I'd just like to see more "well rounded" additions not just war additions.

Edited by TimLee

I don't think universal trading is a good idea. I play Travian, which has universal trading, and 90% of the trades put up are people wanting to trade a certain amount of a crappy resource for twice that amount of a good resource for huge profits. It's retarded.

Edited by Viluin

I don't think universal trading is a good idea. I play Travian, which has universal trading, and 90% of the trades put up are people wanting to trade a certain amount of a crappy resource for twice that amount of a good resource for huge profits. It's retarded.

precisely what i was pointing out, my good man. it takes forever to scroll through to find any decent deals.

Adding new features to the diplomacy/economic side of CN is harder than adding military features. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just because it is harder, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. As for it being harder, that is very much debatable.

The economic side of CN does need an overhaul though (IMO), even more so than we need more military features. Especially when it comes to resource trading. When I lose a trade (lately to deleted nations), it can take upwards of fortnight of sending out regular in-game messages, trying to find people who are willing to trade. Personally I'd love to see an in-game resources trading screen, where you'd be able to not only see what resources people have (in the current advanced trade search) but also what resources they are after. It would potentially cut down the time.

With tech though, I agree that a similar thing shouldn't be done, quite simply because its an in-game bypass of the increase in tech prices.

The stock market, economically, has nothing to do with alliances. It is a way of measuring the value between companies, not alliances. Leave it as it currently stands, a pretty wonder with nice bonuses.

Diplomatically, I'd say leave it on the forums. While implementing treaties between nations would be relatively simple, if you were to go one step further and try and implement treaties between in-game alliances, you run into problems. For one, how do you determine who has the permissions to add/remove/edit treaties? So as I said, diplomacy/politics should be left on the forums.

The stock market could be a good idea economically, where once you have the wonder it also allows you to buy and sell stocks in maybe nations or alliances or something?

Adding an in game tech buying market would be excellent, where one could list an offer of a certain amount of tech for a certain amount of money, and then the game takes care of the offers automatically as slots open up.

Adding an in game tech buying market would be excellent, where one could list an offer of a certain amount of tech for a certain amount of money, and then the game takes care of the offers automatically as slots open up.

As I said in my previous post, having an in-game tech buying market would be an in-game bypass of the increasing tech prices. It'd be far simpler for the admin to just drop the price of tech to a flat 15k per level (or whatever the average is for buying the first 50-100 tech), something that yes I know, he will probably never do, than it would be to implement the automated tech trading system that you just described.

I just think something needs to be done.

Less Colors or Better Color Choices

More Diplomacy

More Economic things

Everything added to the game dampens the Economics to try to slow down gameplay. All I do is spend more on upkeep the more military types that come out....... I'd just like to see the wonders unlocking game features like the stock market allows you to dabble globally or something. I dunno.

I like the idea of a global stock market. It would really provide something interesting to do all the time. If it's done right it could do a lot for curing boredom and it could cut down on deletions.

The stocks could all be commodity items, such as copper, aluminum, iron, coal, oil, uranium, etc. It would be updated daily, bi-daily, or maybe weekly (to reduce server stress). To buy a stock you simply select it, enter in a quantity and purchase - the amount is automatically subtracted from your cash and you get the stocks. There would be a penalty for purchasing large quantities of stock (proportional to how many you buy) - to prevent someone from purchasing a bunch of iron and then seeing the price rise the next day or something, and to simulate the nation's own effect on the price. But the formula would be simple - [ current_price + stock_purchased_today*factor ]. No need to create an actual stock market when you can just simulate one.

Prices could be based on a few things:

• How much of that item was bought/sold on the market (cumulative over the day) (uses the same factor as the above formula)
  • Global purchases - for example, when someone buys a battleship the price of iron goes up ever so slightly. Submarines cause the price of uranium to go up, as do nuclear purchases. Global purchases would have to have a very slight effect (based on the purchase cost of that item), so that nations couldn't appreciably affect the price of certain items by buying them, and so that it would be unprofitable to try to control the price of an item by buying and selling soldiers or something like that.
  • War? Wouldn't it be awesome if war hurt the market? Of course, it might also help, simply because people would be buying more stuff.
  • Time - to simulate the gathering of the resource, the price could go down a little bit every day. That way iron doesn't just steadily rise as people buy more military items.

I think an addition like that would really stimulate interest in the economic side of the game and keep people interested.

Also, now that we have CN:TE the admin could test it out there first.

EDIT: Fixed a few things

Edited by Sgt Alvin C York

If you want a stock market, most commodities can be influenced far to easily.

I will buy a stock first after that i post on my alliance board that stock is going to rise and everybody needs to buy it, after that i'm going to post the same thing on the continuum boards and it becomes a selffulfilling prophecy.

Although maybe it could work if you buy shares in a color. which are then linked to the scores that color has.

If you want a stock market, most commodities can be influenced far to easily.

I will buy a stock first after that i post on my alliance board that stock is going to rise and everybody needs to buy it, after that i'm going to post the same thing on the continuum boards and it becomes a selffulfilling prophecy.

Hmmm, yeah, you're right - the stock market would need to be updated in real-time for it to work. That way when you start going around telling people that the stock is going to rise (if they believe you) then only those that buy at the beginning of the rise will profit - others will buy at a peak right before all the profit-takers that bought at the beginning sell their stocks and take their profit. In real-time it becomes more of a zero-sum game (though the purchasing of military items and the gradual reduction in price over time are outside factors that might offset it from being zero-sum).

Edited by Sgt Alvin C York

The economic side of CN does need an overhaul though (IMO), even more so than we need more military features. Especially when it comes to resource trading. When I lose a trade (lately to deleted nations), it can take upwards of fortnight of sending out regular in-game messages, trying to find people who are willing to trade. Personally I'd love to see an in-game resources trading screen, where you'd be able to not only see what resources people have (in the current advanced trade search) but also what resources they are after. It would potentially cut down the time.

That idea would be a great addition. Listing the resources you are looking for would be extremely helpful. Although I am on average able to replace any dropped trade in 24 hours; sometimes a few hours, sometimes up to 3 days. However, with water+lumber I'm sure it's easier than most people.

And for tech, we could adjust the in-game price on it, and restrict tech being sent through foreign aid. If the in-game price became reasonable (maybe it is reasonable now, I'm not sure) then people would have to choose between being tech-heavy and infra-heavy rather than both. As it stands, a nation can spend all their money on infrastructure while obtaining tech for almost no price through tech deals. If they had to spend some on tech, and some on infra it would create more diversity between nations.

Edited by Drai

And for tech, we could adjust the in-game price on it, and restrict tech being sent through foreign aid. If the in-game price became reasonable (maybe it is reasonable now, I'm not sure) then people would have to choose between being tech-heavy and infra-heavy rather than both. As it stands, a nation can spend all their money on infrastructure while obtaining tech for almost no price through tech deals. If they had to spend some on tech, and some on infra it would create more diversity between nations.

Don't change tech stuff! That'd put me out of business! ^_^

I agree with Drai - tech needs to be more difficult to get. As it is now, buying tech in-game is reasonable for the first couple months of gameplay but useless afterwards. Maybe tech prices could be tied to something other than the nation's current amount of tech?

Heh, I'm still waiting for Thread 7268 to get implemented. Deleting nations screwing up trades, though, is FTL. If we had a market that could match buyers to sellers and that would allow people to offer premiums for various trades independent of the foreign aid slots, that would be pretty dang cool.

Then the calculator squad shows up and figures out that a guy with cattle+pigs should offer (x) for a marble-lumber trade, and that a cattle+silver guy should offer (x+300000)...