CNRP'40 Military Assistance Thread

Yerushalayim

Now that we've voted on our rule set, it's time to get this thread up and running. Part of the goal of this RP is that RP, not technobabble, or min-maxing of gear, or incomprehensible posting, is what'll give you an edge. To this end, the GM team presents the Military Assistance Thread, wherein we invite everyone to ask any questions they have about the system, about the right balance for their nation, and about the particulars of what systems of gear or vehicles they should be using. Likewise, we encourage all our players to take part in answering these questions, so that everyone can have the best military for their situation, and so that wars aren't won or lost by misplaced points.

The current rules are posted below.

Every nation has a basis of 800 points to spend at the start.

30 points per tech year. With no points spent, it is at 1935. It can be raised to 1940.

1 point for 10,000 soldiers.

1 point per 300 artillery pieces/150 tankettes or armoured cars (up to 5 tons)/100 light ARVs (5-20 tons)/50 medium ARVs (20-50 tons)/25 heavy ARVs (50-75 tons)/10 super-heavy ARVs (75+ tons)

1 point per 100 aircraft.

Navy-wise:

1 point per 2 destroyers

1 point per cruiser

3 points per battlecruiser

5 points per battleship

10 points per carrier

2 points per seaplane tender

1 point per 3 submarines

Carrier aircraft/seaplanes come with their ships.

Points can also be spent on industry. Industry allows a weekly replenishment of lost points in other categories at a rate of the full industrial score in peacetime and half the industrial score in wartime. The following ships need industrial investment over multiple weeks: Destroyers need 2 weeks for recovery, cruisers need 4 weeks, capital ships need 6 weeks. GMs can deny replenishment, if not enough IC time has passed to justify a replenishment.

Unarmed and unarmoured vehicles and horses are free, but need to be kept within reason.

Factbooks need to be kept, to list the point distribution of a nation.

Edited by Yerushalayim

I would like to point out that anyone expecting me or others to make up their entire point distribution and military for them is lazy and will get a joke military. We answer questions on specific details, we don't do your work for you.

:wub:  :wub: This  :wub:  :wub:   .... as much as everyone I've read so far needs it...  :smug:

This is sort of the equivalent of the British asking the Nazis if they need help with their aircraft designs so that they can better bomb London into the ground. That said, I do have a question, and my question is about crews for artillery. It is normally assumed that the crew comes with the artillery, but Eva was whining on IRC the other day about how all of my soldiers should be tied up working my artillery pieces. Is that true? Because otherwise, I'm going to do what everybody else did with their totally non-cookie-cutter militaries which is to have a billion planes and soldiers and the best tanks that the tech system allows.

Oh, so if anybody needs help, there's some help. That's the minmax'd cookie. But I'd like my question answered.

Cut the chatter and keep it relevant, folks.

This is sort of the equivalent of the British asking the Nazis if they need help with their aircraft designs so that they can better bomb London into the ground. That said, I do have a question, and my question is about crews for artillery. It is normally assumed that the crew comes with the artillery, but Eva was whining on IRC the other day about how all of my soldiers should be tied up working my artillery pieces. Is that true? Because otherwise, I'm going to do what everybody else did with their totally non-cookie-cutter militaries which is to have a billion planes and soldiers and the best tanks that the tech system allows.

Oh, so if anybody needs help, there's some help. That's the minmax'd cookie. But I'd like my question answered.

Artillery systems come with crews, as do vehicles (tanks, trucks, ships, aircraft, etc). Your soldier count are infantry assigned to actual fighting duties, and do not need to be assigned to such things as logistics.

I did not whine, I just pointed out that with the crews, you have more people manning and supplying guns, than you have people fighting as infantry at the frontlines.

Don't worry about industry points. I've been looking into it, and it's just decorated fluff around the edges. Get 50 points in that.

The remaining points should be sent as follows:

150 on tech (to get to 1940)
600 on aeroplanes (to get 60,000)

From then on, you just steamroll everyone and everything.

On an unrelated note, there is a redundant quote for the point distribution rules.

Edited by Horo the Wise Wolf

Can someone explain the spending of points on industry? I don't understand how that works... How do I ICly declare I am spending points on industry? What if I spend 0 points on it? How many points do I need to spend to replinish my military? 

How you RP it out, I don't know and don't care. It works the way that every week at war, you can replenish your forces by 50% of your industrial point investment. So, for example, you have 10 points in industry. Every week you can get 5 points back in whatever (for example 50,000 soldiers). During peacetime, you get 100% of your industry score per week as replenishments. Note that replenishments will not allow you to get stuff above what you originally had, so it isn't unlimited military.

What about if you don't want to write/maintain a fact book because you hate writing them and find they kill all enjoyment you have for the RP? Can you go without one?

Send a PM to the GMs with the details of what you've got. No need to maintain an actual factbook, so long as we're aware of where your points have gone.