PresidentDavid

The Order of Island Nations

For Within the Sea, We Reign Among the Waves

640px-Small_Island_in_Lower_Saranac_Lake

Charter

of

The Order of Island Nations

Preamble

The Order of Island Nations is an international organization dedicated to preserving and improving political, economic, and cultural ties between the island countries of the world.

Act 1 - Structure

Membership

In order to obtain membership, an Island Nation only needs to apply and be accepted by the President or first put in a position as a non-voting Observer.

Order Headquarters

The Order's headquarters are in Reykjavík, Iceland. The Headquarters of the Order is the location where the representatives of member nations will conduct affairs.

Voting 

Every member of the Order will have the ability to cast either an Aye, Nay, or Abstention ballot in any and all votes except for those exceptions listed in Act 2.

Position of President

The President, who is elected by a majority of the Order, will preside over all votes but still retains his or her right to vote. The President sets the agenda and accepts reasonable proposals to be passed as regulations, rules, or the creation of organizations, and the election for the chairs of said organizations. A President has a term of two weeks and may serve an unlimited amount of terms. A President may be impeached if he or she is not fulfilling their duties with a two-thirds majority vote by members - the President would not vote in this situation. Members may be expelled from the Order in the same way, however the President holds veto power in such a scenario.

Act 2 - Transparency 

The Order will consist only of Island Nations but will, to the best of its abilities, attempt to be transparent with the world and other peaceful international organizations but will be careful not to reveal individual nations' secrets.

Act 3 - An Island Nation and Amendment

Definition of Island Nation

An Island Nation is a nation whose capitol city, seat of government, and - if applicable - legislature is on an island. If a nation were to ever move their capital city and government to an island while most of their territory was on any type of mainland and did so just to join this Order, than they would not be eligible to obtain membership. 

Islands

Islands include all land except for the Mainland of North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Antarctica, Australia, and Greenland are considered islands by this Order.

Amendment
This Charter may be amended with a two-thirds majority approval of the Order.

Current Members

The Kingdom of Iceland - Order Headquarters (Reykjavík)

Ambassador Anton Arnarson - President (Feb. 6)

Selenarctos

Ambassador Calvin Prado

The United Republic of Ireland

Ambassador James Carson

Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego

Ambassador Tristán Terrazas

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador 

Ambassador Michael Vianelli

Bear Islands' Nation of The Bear

Ambassador Christina-Amagug

Current Observers

Fakhri-Zaahir Diarchy

Ambassador Rasul Abdullah Abdul-Rahman

Current Rules

OIN Rule 001 - Human Rights

Current Regulations

OIN Regulation 001 - Tariffs 

Agenda

1 Recruit other Island Nations: The United Republic of Ireland, Nippon, Javanese Federation, Meihua, Selenarctos, Republic of saint Pierre and Miquelon, and Bear Islands.

2 Choose a flag to represent the Order

3 Establish regulations for Economic cooperation

OOC: All information, including the above, and discussion is private unless an ambassador is present and accepted 

Edited by PresidentDavid

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calvin Prado, a native from Manila was chosen from the Department of Humanities to represent Selenarctos at the Order of Island Nations. Unsure of his duties, and completely out of his element in the cold North Atlantic, Calvin arrived with the crash course on remedial international diplomacy echoing in his ears and a case of severe jet lag.

a3075ce442b764327d9f8959d5db2594.jpeg
Calvin Prado, Selenarctos

Calvin Prado, a native from Manila was chosen from the Department of Humanities to represent Selenarctos at the Order of Island Nations. Unsure of his duties, and completely out of his element in the cold North Atlantic, Calvin arrived with the crash course on remedial international diplomacy echoing in his ears and a case of severe jet lag.

a3075ce442b764327d9f8959d5db2594.jpeg
Calvin Prado, Selenarctos

Anton Arnarson would officially recognize Slenarctos as a legitimate Island Nation and his nation would be added to the Order's roster. Ambassador Prado would be showed to his seat and given a copy of the agenda and the Order's Charter. 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs would dispatch a mid-level political officer, Mr. James Carson, as special envoy to the newly formed Order of Island Nations.

Arnarson would then also recognize The United Republic of Ireland as a legitimate Island Nation and show Ambassador Carson to his seat. 

The Norse Kingdom wishes to inquire about its own eligibility to this organization as Copenhagen, the seat of Government is on its own Island.

Private

To The Norse Kingdom

From Anton Arnarson, President of The Order of Island Nations

To Whom it May Concern,

The Norse Kingdom is an Island Nation by this Order's definition and standards. I myself respect the current situation in Europe and I believe that there are two sides to every story. However, I am sure His Majesty's government must understand that the Order is a new and fragile international organization and is currently building its membership and legitimacy. Because of the situation we are in, I will have to decline the Norse Kingdom membership to the Order of Island Nations. However, I respect the Norse and believe everyone deserves a fair chance. So, in light of that, I will permit the Kingdom to send an Ambassador who will not have voting-rights like a normal member but will act as an Observer and can voice his or her opinion on behalf of the Norse. But once the conflict is over in Europe, if the Norse maintain their sovereignty, then I will instate your kingdom as a Member with voting rights. If the Kingdom wishes to take this path, then please alert me so I may add the Norse Kingdom to the roster as an Observer Island Nation.

I hope to see an Ambassador here in Reykjavik,

Anton Arnarson

President of The Order of Island Nations

Edited by PresidentDavid

​Anton would shake the hands of the new ambassadors from Ireland and Selenarctos. They would get down to business soon but first await for a response from the Norse Kingdom and then begin working on the Agenda presented. Other members were still encouraged to join and the President would ask the ambassadors to try to recruit other nations, regardless of their past or present relationships, to the organization to encourage more global cooperation and provide more diversity for the Order.

Edited by PresidentDavid

Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego is considering applying for membership to the Order of Island Nations. However, we are unclear as to the purpose of this organisation. Is it a defence association, an economic bloc, or merely a diplomatic forum?

"The Order of Island Nations is an international organization dedicated to preserving and improving political, economic, and cultural ties between the island countries of the world. It is not a military bloc but encourages the buying and selling of military equipment between members. The organization itself would, however, fall more into the lines of an economic organization and diplomatic forum because it is heavily focused on trying to assist in keeping global peace, exchanging the different cultures that come from Island Nations around the world, discouraging crimes against mankind or the environment,  keeping borders open and tariffs low to non-existent between member nations, and any other functions the members see as the Order should have. The OIN, however, is not a military bloc but prefers international-neutrality and peace in nearly all situations excluding subjects such as genocide. This neutrality will not of course be forced onto members, but is in place to preserve the integrity and functionality of the Order itself. 

If Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego would be interested in joining, I would be happy to approve your application provide you send an Ambassador to the Order's Headquarters in Reykjavik, Iceland. 

Thank you for your interest, 

Anton Arnarson

Edited by PresidentDavid

The Order of Island Nations seems to be an excellent initiative that Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego would be happy to take part in. We would indeed, like to apply. An ambassador - Tristán Terrazas, a rising star in the Social Democratic Radical Party - will be dispatched shortly.

The Republic of Newfoundland&Labrador would like to know if it can join this organization, as the seat of government is in St. John, on the Island of Newfoundland. Should we be able to join this organization, our foreign affairs minister would be more than glad to send over a ambassador to represent us.

The Order of Island Nations seems to be an excellent initiative that Magallanes and Tierra del Fuego would be happy to take part in. We would indeed, like to apply. An ambassador - Tristán Terrazas, a rising star in the Social Democratic Radical Party - will be dispatched shortly.

Ambassador Tristán Terrazas would be approved by President Arnarson and shown to his seat at the organizations headquarters in Reykjavik. 

The Republic of Newfoundland&Labrador would like to know if it can join this organization, as the seat of government is in St. John, on the Island of Newfoundland. Should we be able to join this organization, our foreign affairs minister would be more than glad to send over a ambassador to represent us.Shadow hawk, on 25 Jan 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador is eligible to join by this Order's standards. I recognize the Republic as an Island Nation and welcome your country to send an Ambassador as quickly as possible.

Anton Arnarson

Edited by PresidentDavid

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador is eligible to join by this Order's standards. I recognize the Republic as an Island Nation and welcome your country to send an Ambassador as quickly as possible.

Anton Arnarson

We are glade that we can be apart of The Order of Island Nations. Our minister of foreign affairs will send an ambassador, Micheal Vianelli,  to your Headquarters in Reykjavik, Iceland.

We are glade that we can be apart of The Order of Island Nations. Our minister of foreign affairs will send an ambassador, Micheal Vianelli,  to your Headquarters in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Ambassador Vianelli would be showed to his seat and given a copy of the agenda and charter to look over.

On be half of my domains I am happy to accept your gracious invitation.  I will be sending Imperial Ambassador Chekov to your organization.

-Yuan Jia I, Emperor of Nippon, Meihua, the Holy American Imperium... Oh also Tianxia.

Your Imperial Majesty,

Unfortunately, the Empire of Tianxia does not qualify as an Island Nation. However Nippon, Tianxia's neighbor, does and I believe would be a fitting and culturally diverse member to our Order. I hope you could pass this information on to Nippon's government and I am sure King Mars would surely like meet with Tianxia officials in the future.

Sincerely, 

Anton Arnarson

President Arnarson would stand up at the podium and address the new ambassadors, "Gentlemen, I am very happy you could join us here at Headquarters. In order to begin our business, I would like to make a motion that we create a rule for tariffs between each other stating that no nation belonging to the order may impose  tariffs greater than five-percent on any other member. If I get a second for this motion, then I will present a formal document for us to vote over and if the measure passes the rule becomes effective." 

The President would wait for a second to the motion and hope it didn't fail.

Edited by PresidentDavid

OIN Regulation 001

Tarrifs

No member shall impose more than a five-percent tariff on any other nation's goods who belong to the Order unless they are goods which are illegal within said member-nation.

The President would read the proposed regulation to the Assembly and then briefly say, "Iceland votes yes." 

OOC: The way these votes will work is that twenty-four IRL hours will be given for votes or until everyone votes if before twenty-four hours. In the meantime, other resolutions or rules can be put up for vote as long as it is in the same format that I gave. 

Ambassador Vianelli would be showed to his seat and given a copy of the agenda and charter to look over.

Your Imperial Majesty,

Unfortunately, the Empire of Tianxia does not qualify as an Island Nation. However Nippon, Tianxia's neighbor, does and I believe would be a fitting and culturally diverse member to our Order. I hope you could pass this information on to Nippon's government and I am sure King Mars would surely like meet with Tianxia officials in the future.

Sincerely, 

Anton Arnarson

I find it astoundingly insulting that The Order of Island Nations is not recognizing the Emperor of Nippon and refuses to accept the ambassador's credentials.  It makes us wonder about this organization.

Yuan Jia I 

The President would read the proposed regulation to the Assembly and then briefly say, "Iceland votes yes." 

OOC: The way these votes will work is that twenty-four IRL hours will be given for votes or until everyone votes if before twenty-four hours. In the meantime, other resolutions or rules can be put up for vote as long as it is in the same format that I gave. 

Calvin took off his shades to read the proposal, nodded in agreement then put the sunglasses back on. "Selenarctos votes aye."

The Fakhri-Zaahir Diarchy, located upon the island of Bahrain, humbly requests entry into the Order of Islands Nations. However, we feel it prudent to mention that the Fakhiri-Zaahir Diarchy holds no military forces, and cannot act upon any MDP-style clause of the alliance. Economic treaties, however, are more than welcome.

Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear was represented by Ambassador Christina-Amaguq for establishment conference for The Order of Island Nations, "The needs of island nations like ourselves are challenges unique to anyone country off continent. Solidarity between our states with our concerns will benefit us all. Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear accepts this Charter of The Order of Island Nations. For Within the Sea, We Reign Among the Waves. With that spirit and mindset I hereby sign."

Edited by Generalissimo

The Fakhri-Zaahir Diarchy, located upon the island of Bahrain, humbly requests entry into the Order of Islands Nations. However, we feel it prudent to mention that the Fakhiri-Zaahir Diarchy holds no military forces, and cannot act upon any MDP-style clause of the alliance. Economic treaties, however, are more than welcome.

To The Fakhri-Zaahir Diarchy

From Anton Arnarson, President of The Order of Island Nations

To Whom it may concern, 

I am very excited to see that the Fakhri-Zaahir Diarchy is interested in joining the Order. Because the Diarchy is newly established, I will gladly place Fakhri-Zaahir as an Observer for the time being which will allow the Diarchy's ambassador to speak on behalf your new island nation but not cast any ballots. Once your nation be well established with the world, which I am sure will take no time at all, I will swiftly change your designation to a Member nation. With that being said, I recognize the Diarchy as an Island Nation and I cannot wait to see an ambassador here in Reykjavik! Also, you will not have to worry about performing in a military bloc. That is not the purpose of the Order. But I am happy to see you are already willing to work with us.

If you accept this offer, then I look forward to working with you in the Order.

Sincerely,

Anton Arnarson

Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear was represented by Ambassador Christina-Amaguq for establishment conference for The Order of Island Nations, "The needs of island nations like ourselves are challenges unique to anyone country off continent. Solidarity between our states with our concerns will benefit us all. Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear accepts this Charter of The Order of Island Nations. For Within the Sea, We Reign Among the Waves. With that spirit and mindset I hereby sign."

Ambassador Christina-Amagug would be shown to her seat and given a copy of the agenda and charter and also enacted resolutions. President Anarson would recognize Bear Islands' Nation of the Bear as an Island Nation.

Edited by PresidentDavid