Question about the Infrastructure upgrade

Icewolf

So the update log says the purchase limit has been raised to 100. 

My question is, has this lowered the effective purchase price? 

Namely, if I purchase at 2999.99 100 infrastructure, will it be all at the same price per unit as though I had purchased 10 levels, or will it scale so the overall price will be the same as buying ten at a time up to that 100? 

Looking quickly at my nation it seems the former is the case. In which case, I would like to ask why such a significant change (reducing the cost of infrastructure purchase) was introduced in the middle of a major war when I understood it to be practice not to introduce major gameplay changes mid war?

It seems the cost difference is smaller than I thought so not very major. 

Edited by Icewolf

/me buys a bunch of infra before this gets fixed

though realistically this isn't that big of a percentage difference in total cost to have it be calculated better with a formula or just 100x current price.

Edited by enderland

Percentage difference will vary depending on the current infra. Being able to avoid jumps has a much bigger effect at lower levels. Going from ZI to 999 is about 12.5% cheaper. Going from 14k to 15k is about 4.3% cheaper.

How have you calculated that?

It all depends on what other modifiers are used. I may have mis-applied some other bonuses in the before/after (probably gov). Running it again, with Capitalist, Const+Steel, 100% Moon Base, ISS, SDC, 5 Factories, with steps of 100 vs 10, it's a bit over 10% cheaper ZI to 1k ($2.61 million vs $2.88 million), and 0.3% cheaper 14k to 15k ($283.6 million vs $284.5 million).

I had a similar question, so I will post it in this thread.  It sounds like the difference between 10 and 100 limits is relatively minimal.  However, the update log says that admin is working on letting us purchase "unlimited purchases at once".  Is this going to be implemented the same as it is now, with any number of infra levels at the same price?  I hope and assume that's not the case, as it would make it practically free to go from 0 to any amount we want.  I am looking forward to this though.  100 is already a huge improvement in reducing wasted clicking, especially for those times when we're constantly buying from 0 to 1000 or more during war.

"unlimited purchases at once".

I had a similar question, so I will post it in this thread.  It sounds like the difference between 10 and 100 limits is relatively minimal.  However, the update log says that admin is working on letting us purchase "unlimited purchases at once".  Is this going to be implemented the same as it is now, with any number of infra levels at the same price?  I hope and assume that's not the case, as it would make it practically free to go from 0 to any amount we want.  I am looking forward to this though.  100 is already a huge improvement in reducing wasted clicking, especially for those times when we're constantly buying from 0 to 1000 or more during war.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Obviously they can't keep the same system as now. I'd just destroy all my infra down to ZI, then buy 25k at the low low price of basically nothing. 

The modifiers don't matter because they scale with the changes in the infra buying system.

Icewolf, if you have different results it might be because you're using Riemann sums to derive a result instead of doing it by hand. There's discontinuities in the cost function which can make a mess out of trying to determine the difference by Riemann sums; consider the first 100 infrastructure being bought at 40 * level + 500 instead of 60 * level + 500 at an infra jump; that's a difference of almost 50%.

"unlimited purchases at once".

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Obviously they can't keep the same system as now. I'd just destroy all my infra down to ZI, then buy 25k at the low low price of basically nothing. 

Exactly the problem with this proposal. The standard cost increases of infra need to scale out over larger purchases - as the OP suggests.

​Purchasing in batches of 100 is less of a concern, but unlimited purchasing at a base cost would be disastrous to the stability of the game. Seniority should have value. There are folks (like me) who've spent multiple years and billions of dollars to get into the stratosphere of infra. Allowing everyone to instead go to ZI and then blow a relatively standard warchest to shoot up into the 20-30k range seems to me a real easy way to unravel the stability of the game - namely by nullifying the investments of time and money made by more senior more stable/peaceful nations.

If nations half my age can suddenly go to ZI, cash in their warchests, and jump in infra to levels that took me years to achieve - I really won't have much reason to keep playing. This infra level purchase limit change would have - in one swipe - basically deleted multiple years of my game play. And for what particular reason? So that folks who get themselves into wars all the time can feel better about themselves? War should have consequences - and it shouldn't be taken so lightly. There was a time when this game was viewed as a political simulator - wherein various alliances could weigh their own approach to politics against one another's. An unlimited infra purchase limit will single-handedly be the worst possible blow to nations and alliances which have found and adopted more stable approaches to foreign policy while rewarding those who have abused their nations over the course of years of unending wars. 

Edited by Rooman33

Unbunch your panties. See admin's post in the [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/115792-improving-infa-and-land-purchases/#entry3108152"]original suggestion thread[/url]. The increment-of-100 change was easy since it only involved changing a 10 into a 100. The idea of making purchases unlimited is predicated on having game logic that would figure out the costs at each step, instead of requiring multiple clicks and page loads. Same thing that at least three calculators do right now, at least one of which has code on offer to admin. Your pixels are safe.

Unbunch your panties. See admin's post in the original suggestion thread. The increment-of-100 change was easy since it only involved changing a 10 into a 100. The idea of making purchases unlimited is predicated on having game logic that would figure out the costs at each step, instead of requiring multiple clicks and page loads. Same thing that at least three calculators do right now, at least one of which has code on offer to admin. Your pixels are safe.

Insults aside, thanks for the useful update.