DOE - Forbidden Ice

Maelstrom Vortex

The strange happenings in Antarctica did not go without notice by the Empire of Tianxia, strange anomalies in the southern skies, the magnetic pulse of the earth changing for seconds at time, including causing major internet shortages in the western side of the Empire, and the ever present rumors from other nations that some new culture was rising in the ice. These rumors and strange happenings were enough to cause the University of Ehestadt to act, as one of the greatest centers of learning in the world, to act. The Imperial Academic Community took a great interest into what was happening in the unknown south of the world, but with so many of their professors, unwilling or unable to go, the job fell to the Associate Professor Anthropology, Doctor Sonia Belnedes. She was experienced in the field of anomalies, having gone on a failed expedition through the jungles of South America, only to hike her way back alone after many of the people on the journey had died. While still serving in Austria, Sonia was privy to the cultists who took over England and found herself come face to face with an Inquisitor turned Demon, needless to say, she was a professional adventurer as much as she was a culturalist.

Receiving her orders to travel south, Sonia would be on board a small Tianxian research vessel, along with a few Imperial and Amazon guards. It would be a long voyage to the walls of the Ice Continent, but she was prepared with thermal clothing, large supplies of food, and an indomitable will which served her well in the past. As the research vessel, the [i]Explorer II[/i], approached the ice walls where they would eventually have to make land fall, the radio on the boat began to pick up static.

"Well something is out there," said Captain Zara Nabieva as she flicked the radio trying to find a clear channel. "Professor, you might want to take a look at this."

Sonia jumped over from her seat on the bridge and with fingers shaking, tried to turn to frequency currently in use. "Hello, can you hear me? Are you out there, Anomaly?"

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That voice," said Zara, "That doesn't sound human at all. Professor, are you sure about this?"

"Yes," said Sonia, "I'm positive, steer towards the coordinates, Captain."

The research vessel did so, straight for the ice wall where as they came closer a port opened up to allow the vessel to dock. Once there, Sonia, along with a small band of Imperial and Amazon guards and the Captain, disembarked from the ship onto the gangway which would lead into the nation of Forbidden Ice. Looking almost like an astronaut, covered in thermal gear, a pink visor, and her supply satchel; Sonia was the first one off the ship, leading the way into the strange land of ice.

There they would approach the gateway into the country and wait to be admitted.

"So the rumors were true then," said Sonia as she approached Keth and the translator with a smile and bowed the upper part of her body in a sign of greetings. "My name is Sonia Belnedes and this is Captain Zara Nabiva, we are both in charge of this expedition to see this new land which has making headlines in news sources across the world. We are from the Empire of Tianxia, our Emperor and the Queen of the Amazons have asked us to discover if the rumors were true and to create dialogue between our people and yours. As such a, dare I say it, outworldly, species as yourself I would imagine your story would be one of the most interesting. I would humbly ask if our expedition could see your society for ourselves and in return perhaps an exchange of ambassadors could be established."

Zara placed her arms behind her back and looked at the dragon with shifty eyes, she had never before seen something so strange; they were the dragons out of legend, the dragons that the Empress had slain in the Temple of Hippolyta. They were not human and yet seemed to possess an intelligence not seen by animals, aside from humans, before. She felt a sudden burst in her heart, a desire that she didn't understand and looked curiously at Keth. "Yes," she said with a formality in her voice, "The expedition would appreciate seeing this society, close up."

"On the contrary," spoke Zara as Keth explained to the Tianxians about the embassy situation. "We are a rather fiery people ourselves, I think the Imperial Family would approve of an element of your tribe who hold themselves up to more warlike standards. In addition, if it takes a proper embassy to have any initial dialogue with your people, then we will do so immediately." The Captain said looking around as Keth took her and Sonia deeper into the ice. "You are obviously established, there is no reason not to set up formal dialogue with your people. That said, we will not be signing anything which group us along with other countries in the world, especially if those nations are not our allies. If any agreement is to be reached, then it will be done solely between your tribe and the Empire."

Sonia sighed at the political implications finally revealing themselves on the journey and she turned back to Keth. "A tour of your villages would be fine."

In Zara's eyes, the tour of the Dragons' village was even more boring than the introduction to the society. She understood that Professor Belnedes had come on an anthropological expedition, but everything that the dragons said made such research almost foolish. They had libraries, schools, a culture which they probably already studied themselves, in addition to already signing treaties with foreign countries many of which were probably Tianxia's enemies. She found the potential Dragon ambassador from the Fire Clan to be a lifting of her spirits because at least those members of the tribe were temperamental, but the rest seemed to be completely content with living on the ice shelf and never interfering with the rest of humanity. If that was the case, aside from a tour, why were they here?

It was when they reached Keth's home and he rolled down upon a bed of moss that Zara sighed. She could hear Sonia ask another question about climate control, but she closed her eyes and blocked out the conversation. When she opened them, however, the Captain immediately felt tired and dizzy as the world seemed to suddenly stop and spin. As she regained focus, Zara watched a perfect drop of water melt from the cavern ceiling and land at her feet. Sonia and Keth were frozen in their movements and the sound of the water drop echoed loudly across the cavern walls, so loud that Zara's ears began to vibrate. Voices, she could hear voices, loud voices coming from somewhere further down in the caverns; voices that made the entire ground and earth shake. Then the world began to return to its usual movements and Zara could hear the Professor's conversation as if she hadn't missed a word.

Shaking her head, the Captain looked at Sonia with a smile. "Professor, my apologies for interrupting, but if you wouldn't mind I might take a look around the villages myself. Keth, would that be alright?"

And if he said yes, she would start venturing towards where she heard the voices, down near the Ice Caverns.

Linden, alone of the entire band of explorers, had not returned to her tribe to give a full report of what had been found to the south those many months ago. She had, after leaving the draconic ambassador, sent the rest on their way, along with the precious assortment of books. Oh, she had traveled with them for a time, northward, but when they veered off to the East, she did not join them. Intent, she was, on figuring out the extent of these creatures' territory--which expanded faster than the pace she could travel at.

She never approached them within range to be any sort of threat, just, observing from afar, and retreating if any of them came out in turn to investigate her. Despite the apparent non belligerence of the first, did not mean these things were not intimidating. And she was more interested in observing them now, rather than maintaining contact.

At least until the day she made it all the way to the coast, and observed the frenetic activity there. And for the first time in a long time, she could swear she saw...other humans. Or at least, what she assumed were dwellings made for them. She wasn't actually close enough to see if any of them were occupied. And despite herself, she found her jaw dropping for a moment. They were bringing humans back here? Whatever for?

It did not take the scout long to make up her mind, however. Patting the leg of her garments, Linden ensured her rapier was fully sheathed. Likewise, she settled the crossbow around her neck in such a way that it was readily accessible, but not in any threatening state currently, and the bolts were safely in the quiver along her back. Then, boldly, before she could hesitate, she set her path directly for the coastal city.

This time it was not even Keth who led the way towards the Ice Caverns, but Zara, still hearing the faint rumble of the voices which seemed to be lost on both Sonia and the other Dragons. While the Professor asked to stop every fifteen feet to enter the nursery, the libraries, or the gymnasium, Zara pushed on with a sudden determination to see what lay beyond in the darkness of the ice. When they arrived, both of the Amazons with Keth felt utterly in awe of what lay in front of them. A cathedral made out of solid ice, where their reflections changed from beautiful models to grotesque monsters depending on where in the cathedral they looked. At the end of the nave, a large statue dominated the cathedral and Sonia ran ahead to see it closer while Zara continued to glance around the room.

There is no one here, she thought to herself, where was the rumbling coming from?

She looked at the Professor leaning down over the statue, touching the markings with shaking hands. "Vortex," she said quietly, "I know Vortex, the leader of Dragonisia. That nation was destroyed years ago." She turned back and looked at Keth, "You are descendants from Dragonisia? But how?"

Zara walked forward towards Sonia and looked up at the statue, the rumbling still in her ears, louder now than it had ever been and her breathing quickened and deepened trying to calm herself. "Weirder things have happened, Professor," the Amazon Captain grunted as she looked up at the statue with narrow eyes. "We live in a world where there are nations on the moon and the leaders of empires believe themselves to be gods or in this case," she looked at the idol, "Have become them."

"Zara?" Sonia said and pressed her hand on the Amazon's shoulder. "Is everything alright? You don't sound so well."

"I'm fine," Zara grunted, "Just a headache, that's all." She turned back to Keth, "Is there anymore to see down here?"

The scout indeed noticed she was being followed, but every time she turned her head to look directly at her pursuer or pursuers, she could not get a clear view. Not until she was brought up short by the coatl in her path. Making sure to keep her hands well away from her weapons, to avoid even the appearance of hostility, she approached the creature, or being, or whatever it was called, curiously. Quite different from the last one she had encountered, this one was instead a brilliant golden color. Linden stopped about twenty yards away, bowing her head respectfully to the coatl, before looking her in the eye and speaking.

it wasn't in any tongue that was likely to be recognized, however. The tribes out there on the ice, after so many decades of isolation, had changed, their different dialects morphing and merging into something completely unique, though there were undoubtedly bits and pieces, words here and there, that would be recognizeable from several different languages.

"Then you have a strange definition of what a god is, Keth." Said Zara turning around, focusing on the Dragon with the voices still vibrating in her head. "Any being that creates and has control of your fates is a god, whether you, or he, or anyone else admits that he is not. He might be humble, but that is different from not being in control."

"Zara," Sonia glared back at the Captain, "Don't be so obtuse, you're trying to push your perceptions on others. We're visitors, don't be ungrateful." The Professor turned back to Keth with a smile. "My apologies Keth. Our own history books describe Vortex as the President of a nation known as Dragonisia. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but I would be interested to know the deeper history of your people. It is strange how so many things seem to coincide with our dimension and with yours, Paradox you called it?" she walked towards Keth and towards the exit of the cathedral. "We should go to the libraries, it would be interesting to study your world prior to its destruction. Zara?"

"What?" said the Captain looking back, breaking her watch of the statue.

"Aren't you going to come? We can't stay in this cathedral all day."

Zara turned back to the statue, looking up at the emerald green eyes that seemed to be looking at her. "No, I just want to stay here for a little longer. Get my thoughts in order." She didn't look back to see if Keth and Sonia had left, instead she stared at the emerald eyes of the statue and rested her hand on the bottom claws of the idol. "Vengeful, eh? There's a lot of people like that in this world, so if you did come from another world, it probably isn't much different from this one. But everyone labels negatives to things they don't understand. I worship Ares and people label him wrathful and vengeful, but they don't understand his power and I'm sure your creations didn't understand yours. Bizarre? No, just powerful."

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1342647305' post='3011777']
They were gone, she was alone. The words below the statue changed, "I'm flattered at your admiration. What is the source of your attraction? Why such interest in a relic such as I?" The claw her hand rested upon seemed warm to the touch.
[/quote]

Noticing that the other two were finally gone, Zara smiled looking back at the statue and seeing the words change in front of her eyes. "Incredible," she said and felt the claw warm to her touch. "Attraction?" the Amazon looked up at the emerald eyes, "This entire society seems rather surreal and whether I'm hallucinating or not, I always have a reverence to those beings who speak beyond the veil of the heavens. That and I think your own people misunderstand you and I can't help but feel a little sorrow in regards to that."

"You would be wrong to group man so generally, Voice." Zara said looking into the statue's eyes, "No mind is simple, it just has not completely matured and grasped its true worth. Listening to what you've said, even you perhaps have not grasped your true worth because whatever I am to you, in my mind I am still a part of you and you are still a part of me. You say you have power and that my reality and your reality are on different layers. That might be true, but you are only sure of yourself that you are above me, when in fact I could actually inhabit a layer beyond yourself. That, Voice," the Amazon said confidently, "Is something that neither of us are sure of."

She put both hands on the claws and stretched her body to get a better look at the statue's eyes. "I can never grasp you, as you can never grasp me, you can never understand, Voice, what I am truly capable of and that is the mystery of who you are speaking to. Perhaps, I am just as divine as you are. As to the Agnostic, there is no such thing, everyone knows, they just refuse to acknowledge what already exists out in the world. They refuse to know for the sake of unknowing, nothing more."

Zara's voice quivered, she didn't know she could even speak in such a philosophical manner, but in touching the statue it felt like worlds beyond were opening up to her mind.

As the voice spoke, however, it almost felt that she was being cast aside as a lesser creature. This would be understandable if the creature acknowledged himself as a God, but to say that she was only made up of words and phrases. Zara knew who she was, where she came from, and how her past molded her future. "I am someone's creation, yes, but if I have a different creator then you can't possibly hope to understand what I am capable of or who I am, only as much as I tell you." Releasing her hands from the statue, Zara stood in front of the eyes and clenched her fists. "Do you talk to the other Dragons? Why are you talking to me of all people, you're the one who was in my head before we ever came down into the Cathedral. What do you want?"

"Her?" Zara looked up at the statue curiously, "I don't understand, my creator was a single Being? A Goddess? That makes no sense," the Amazon shook her head and stepped back again in curiosity and a slight tapping of fear. "I came because I was ordered by the Emperor and Empress of Tianxia and then you sent those voices into my head, but I was never predestined to be here. What desires do I have that I'm unaware of?"

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1342647305' post='3011777']
Eventually the translator began to make sence of Linda's words as the computer it was connected to by wireless transmissions began to make sense of the different languages being used.. Finally, Aurora spoke. It was a soft screeching sound like an Eagle's call, the translator chirped, "Hello." She then began to snort, hiss, snarl, growl, chirp and warble as the translator continued its work, "Can you understand me now?" The computer's voice was human feminine.
[/quote]Linden was, for the first time in a long time, brought up short. "You...what magic is this?" Obviously discomfited, she struggled to understand how something like this was possible. Though she managed to avoid stuttering, it was a near thing, and if Aurora had any experience in reading human body language, it would be a simple thing to discern that the one before her was...startled.