What Constitutes Spying?

Unknown Smurf

Which of the following scenarios would you considering spying?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1319897222' post='2834427']
So if someone forgot to revoke person A's authorizations from something like NORAD or SKYNET or [take your pick] and they still had access, then maybe spread some info from there over irc or something, it would be a !@#$%* thing to do but not actual spying?
[/quote]
This is exactly what I meant by 'but it can still be a good CB'. I can't remember if our official line was that that was 'spying' (remember, my personal opinion may not be reflective of the alliance I'm in on everything) but it was certainly taking privileged information and using it to harm our alliance. So no, in my opinion that is not actually spying, but it is still a hostile action worthy of war.

In fact there's a more general point here, related to the Legion-Tetris war. Sharing spied or leaked information isn't in itself spying, but it was actually does the damage, and can often be used as a CB that will be agreed on by many. There's some big grey areas on how privileged or important that information needs to be for it to still count as a hostile action, but it isn't necessarily just the spy that is committing a CB worthy offence.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic