Cup of Nations V (Official)

Michael McBride

[b][u][center]Victory brings Mongolia to its feet[/center][/u][/b]

Article done by Yutaun Shidu
Employed by the Unen Newspaper Company

Its only game one, but Mongolia's upset against Korea has the nation celebrating as if it has already won the tournament. When the game ended the Mongolian team was estatic they went in expecting to lose and walked out winning their first international game. It was indeed a proud moment for Mongolia, Manager Dimitri told his team to not let the victory get to their heads as they're only done with the first game.

"Korea played a good game, and we thank them for the fair game. Next is the Athenian Federation, they will not be pushovers period. But we must still keep our heads and play our all" - Manager Dimitri

[center][size="5"][font="Palatino Linotype"][b]Match Day 2 Results[/b][/font][/size][/center]
9. Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Principality of Monaco 0-0
Clean Sheets: PoM: Rousseau III (2), EPI: Dawlish (1)
Yellow Cards: PoM: Messerschmit (1), Martin (1)

10. [b]Commonwealth of Canada[/b] v. Republique du Quebec 2-0
Goals: CoC: Harris (1) 46’, Price (1) 57’
Clean Sheets: CoC: Adamson (2)
Yellow Cards: RdQ: Latendresse (1)

11. Germanic Union v. Serene Republic of Vaule 1-1
Goals: SRV: Yu (1) 54’, GU: Vreeswijk (1) 14’
Yellow Cards: SRV: Nazarov (1), GU: Nordir (1)
Injuries: Solveigsen (1 match)

12. Eastern France v. [b]DSR of Sri Lanka[/b] 0-1
Goals: DSL: Dinesh Hettiarachchi (1) 55’
Clean Sheet: DSL: Jansen (1)
Yellow Cards: EF: Evains (2), DSL: Dinesh Hettiarachchi (1)

13. [b]Marscurian Siberia[/b] v. Kingdom of Cochin 2-0
Goals: MS: Untral (2) 17’, 22’
Clean Sheets: MS: Simoltech (2)

14. [b]England[/b] v. Boston Federacy 4-1
Goals: ENG: Hamil (1) 33’, Bolton (1) 41’, Dewhurst (1) 67’, Greenwood (1) 89’, BF: West (1) 58’
Yellow Cards: BF: Lopez (1)
Red Cards: ENG: Westwell (2 match suspension)

15. Athenian Federation v. [b]PR of Mongolia[/b] 0-1
Goals: PRM: Ulen (1) 87’
Clean Sheet: PRM: Tourgin (2), AF: Amoruso (1)
[b]PR of Mongolia has secured a spot in the Quarterfinals. The Athenian Federation has been eliminated from Quarterfinal contention.[/b]

16. Greater Korean Federation v. [b]Zargathia[/b] 0-2
Goals: Z: Kim (2) 42’, Pan (1) 71’
Clean Sheet: Z: Van Vliet (1)
[b]Zargathia has secured a spot in the Quarterfinals. The Greater Korean Federation has been eliminated from Quarterfinal contention.[/b]

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][size="4"][u][b]The Crimson Roar[/b][/u][/size][/font]
[i]Your Source for All Things Imperial Soccer[/i]

Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Principality of Monaco 0-0

Will someone please tell this team that they are playing soccer (or football, for you Euros reading this) and not golf? YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO GET THE LOWEST SCORE !@#$HEADS! You are the number one team in the world, play like it.

I mean, Christ. Maybe it’s the new formation. The 3-3-1-3 seemed to work perfectly… the team had a massive unbeaten streak going for it. Sure, that included a few ties, but they didn’t lose.

Doesn’t anyone remember the days of Zachary McCarthy and his superb 7 goal performance in Cup of Nations II? Or Phillip Kelly and his unmatched 9 goal performance in Cup of Nations III? Those men carried their teams past opponents, provided entertainment for fans and nightmares for opponents. This team? Timid school girls by comparison.

I’m a realist. I know that [manager Paul] Warren won’t change his tactics mid-tournament. But if this team doesn’t make it to the semi-finals, and there really is no reason they shouldn’t with their talent, then he should be fired immediately. And bring someone in who will institute the 3-3-1-3 again so we can bring back the glory days of Imperial football.

Also, Dawlish rocks. Those saves he made in the 65th and 82nd saved his team’s collective ass. He’s the only reason this team still has a chance to make the Quarterfinals.

After a rough beginning to Englands re-emerging international footballing debut, we have returned to top form. The Boston Federacy played a good game and we look forward to our match against Marscurian Siberia.

[size="6"][u][b]Sri Lanka National[/b][/u][/size]
[i]Live from the Cup of Nations V in Pravus Ingruo - Day Two[/i]

Eastern France v. DSR of Sri Lanka [b]0-1[/b]
Goals: DSL: Dinesh Hettiarachchi (1) 55’

In what turned out to be an amazingly balanced game, the [i]Yellows[/i] won a 1-0 against the [i]Victors[/i].
From the beginning to the match was fierce, with many attacks from both sides, but suprisingly fair with only two yellow cards. One for Evains, who had gained one in a previous match and needs to be careful from now on, one for Yellows defender Dinesh Hettiarachchi from the Saunders, who risked the card in order to protect the team from a 1-1 in the 78th minute, felling the attacking French mere meters before the penalty area.

The deciding goal was shot by - suprisingly - Hettiarachchi in the 55th as result of a corner, during which he managed to get his foot between himself and two defending [i]Victors[/i], barely. But, it was enough to score the first and only Sri Lankan goal of the match.
Many other chances were had on both sides, but neither could capitalise properly. Both teams had amazing keepers who defended their boxes many times when the aggressive playstyle of either team allowed a momentary breakthrough.

Conclusion: The [i]Yellows[/i] won, barely. If they want to contend with world-class teams, they'll have to improve their performance. The strategy is good. Execution is just lacking a little.

[b]BCNA Sports: Good showing for Vaulian Vanguards [/b]

[i]“In their first trip to the Cup of Nations since the formation of the Serene Republic, the Vaulian Vanguards put up a valiant fight against their opponents Eastern France, and the Germanic Union. Despite this it appears that victory was just out of reach.

On day 1 of the Cup, the Vanguards faced the French ‘Victors’. As the dust settled, neither team managed to score despite several attempts on goal by both sides. A similar situation was repeated today as the Vanguards match against the German ‘Panzers’ ended 1-1. Midfielder Elbegdorj Yu, scored the only goal for the Vanguards in another nail-biting match.

In a post match interview today with BCNA Sports, Manager Lt. Alekov praised his team for their hard work, while admitting that the Vanguards have a lot of work to do before they are able to improve their standing and compete effectively. Lt. Alekov has revealed that his staff is [b]‘carefully analyzing the results of both matches to determine areas where improvements need to be made'[/b]. The Vanguards Manager expressed cautious optimism about tomorrows match against the Sri Lankan 'Yellows', but the national team is unlikely to pull off a victory.

This is Ray Porter reporting, for BCNA Sports”[/i]

[center][u][b][size="6"]Le Journal de Sport du Monaco
[i]
[/i][/size][/b][/u][left][i]-Live From Cup of Nations V Pravus Ingruo

[/i]Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. Principality of Monaco 0-0

Another match and another draw, the Serene Rouge continue their draw streak to 7 matches now including 5 against the Monaco Premier League club teams during the build up for this tournament. Under new manager Joe LeBlanc the previous team which was successful at the last Cup of Nations was taken once again. The season started of with the fans expecting a win against the Commonwealth of Canada but the match was below par to be an opener for such a tournament. The new manager's aggressive style of play hasn't paid as the Serene Rouge forwards kept missing their mark. Especially captain David Brun who came of a good season in the Ligue scoring 17 goals. His miss in the 17th minute of play would be an embarrassment to any player at such a grand stage of football.

Coming to the match versus Pravus Ingruo the team played very well to hold the match to a draw with one of the best teams in the world. The manager was optimistic before the start of the match saying , "[i]Today would be a hard game as our boys are playing on of the premier teams in the world in their home country. We are looking to hold their attackers as long as possible and maybe even look forward to a win today." [/i]Team captain David Brun had no comments and his miss last match.

The match started of well with the defense holding up well against the early attack of Theo Spalding and George Moats. The card shown to Messerschmit was a lucky break as the foul clearly looked like the midfielder would be sent off but it was only yellow. The only moment of brilliance shown by the Serene Rouge in attack was the shot by Denis Martin on the 65th minute which was beautifully saved by the Pravus Ingruo keeper Dawlish reminding us why Pravus Ingruo was considered one of the best teams in the world. The 82nd minute shot by Marcos Polos was brilliant but was saved brilliantly by a world class goal keeper. Overall the play in the second match was much more positive then the first game with a lot more chances being created. Rousseau III reminded us of his younger brilliance with his saves in the 23rd, 56th and 90th minute keeping the game to a draw.

The manager looking forward to the next game against Quebec. The manager Joe LeBlanc stated that his team is going out there looking for a win this game to cement their place in the Quarter-Finals.Needing a win against Quebec who just lost their last game is necessary said Denis Martin.

Reporting from Pravus Ingruo

[i]Pierre Nicholas [/i]
[/left][u][b][size="6"][/size][/b][/u] [/center]

[size="5"][font="Palatino Linotype"][center][u][b]Match Day 3[/b][/u][/center][/font][/size]
17. Principality of Monaco v. [b]Republique du Quebec[/b] 0-1
Goals: RdQ: Lapierre (1) 92’
Clean Sheets: RdQ: LaCoste (1)
Yellow Cards: PoM: Louis-David (1), Rotterbauer (1)
[b]While having the same point total as the Commonwealth of Canada, Republique du Quebec is eliminated based on goal differential (CoC: +1, RdQ: -1). Principality of Monaco finishes in last place with a 0-2-1 record and 2 points.[/b]

18. Commonwealth of Canada v. [b]Empire of Pravus Ingruo[/b] 0-1
Goals: EPI: Glickman (1) 88’
Clean Sheets: EPI: Dawlish (2)
Yellow Cards: CoC: Jenkins (1)
[b]The Empire of Pravus Ingruo wins Group A with 5 points and will face Marscurian Siberia of Group C. Commonwealth of Canada advances on goal differential and will face England of Group C.[/b]

19. Serene Republic of Vaule v. DSR of Sri Lanka 0-0
Clean Sheets: SRV: Nasenko (2), DSL: Jansen (2)
Yellow Cards: DSL: Müller (1)
[b]Sri Lanka wins Group B with 5 points and will face Zargathia of Group D. Vaule is eliminated with a 0-3-0 record and 3 points.[/b]

20. [b]Eastern France[/b] v. Germanic Union 2-0
Goals: EF: Bouzina (1) 83’, Duval (1) 86’
Clean Sheets: EF: Lissi (2)
Yellow Cards: GU: Nordir (2), Gottfriedt (1)
Red Cards: GU: Ackermann (2 match suspension, in for Solveigsen’s injury), Vreeswijk (2 match suspension)
[b]Eastern France finishes second in Group B with 4 points and will face the People's Republic of Mongolia from Group D. The Germanic Union is eliminated with a 0-2-1 record and 2 points.[/b]

21. Kingdom of Cochin v. [b]Boston Federacy[/b] 0-1
Goals: BF: West (2) 85’
Clean Sheet: BF: Riis (2)
Yellow Cards: KoC: Das (1)
[b]Despite tying Marscurian Siberia on points (4), the Boston Federacy is eliminated on goal differential (MS: +1, BF: -2). The Kingdom of Cochin is eliminated with a record of 1-0-2 and 3 points.[/b]

22. [b]England[/b] v. Marscurian Siberia 1-0
Goals: ENG: Hamil (2) 93’
Clean Sheets: ENG: Henshaw (1)
[b]England wins Group C with 6 points and will face the Commonwealth of Canada. Marscurian Siberia advances of goal differential and will face the Empire of Pravus Ingruo.[/b]

23. [b]PR of Mongolia[/b] v. Zargathia 2-1
Goals: PRM: Judin (2) 15’, 49’, Z: Seyr (1) 81’
Red Cards: PRM: Yusilik (2 match suspension)
Injuries: Z: Sørensen (2 matches)
[b]The People's Republic of Mongolia wins with 9 points Group D and will face Eastern France. Zargathia finishes in second with 6 points and will face Sri Lanka.[/b]

24. Greater Korean Federation v. [b]Athenian Federation[/b] 0-1
Goals: AF: Amoruso (1) 63’
Clean Sheets: AF: Dellis (1)
Yellow Cards: GKF: Ki-Myeon (1)
[b]Both teams had already been eliminated from contention. The Athenian Federation finishes with a 1-0-2 record and 3 points. The Greater Korean Federation finishes with an 0-0-3 record and 0 points.[/b]

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"][size="4"][u][b]The Crimson Roar[/b][/u][/size][/font]

Commonwealth of Canada v. [b]Empire of Pravus Ingruo[/b] 0-1
Goals: EPI: Glickman (1) 88’
Clean Sheets: EPI: Dawlish (2)
Yellow Cards: CoC: Jenkins (1)

Well, the boys did just enough to win. With Dawlish playing like a man among boys (literally, the man made eight saves today. EIGHT.) the Crimson Lions finally got their heads out of their collective asses long enough to put together one sustained attack that produced three chances on goal, the second of which went out for a corner, and the third that found the back of the net.

Tobias Wallace placed a beautiful curving corner kick near the back post, just beyond the outstretched fist of Canada’s keeper Peter Adamson (who also played like a man among boys, notching six saves). Wally Glickman got high and provided a smashing header into the back of the net. It seemed like the stadium simply exploded, knowing their Crimson Lions would be on to the Knockout Stage.

Was this an impressive win? Not in the least. The Crimson Lions were dominated in terms of possession most of the match, and about half of their chances came in a two minute span just before the goal was scored. The Canadians looked the better team, and it was only through the brilliance of Dawlish that Glickman had the chance to be the hero.

Now it’s on to the Quarterfinals, where ties are no longer an option. It is win or go home. But the Crimson Lions need to find some offensive spark, and quick, or it’s going to be a short trip.

Eastern France v. Germanic Union 2-0
Goals: EF: Bouzina (1) 83’, Duval (1) 86’
Clean Sheets: EF: Lissi (2)
Yellow Cards: GU: Nordir (2), Gottfriedt (1)
Red Cards: GU: Ackermann (2 match suspension, in for Solveigsen’s injury), Vreeswijk (2 match suspension)

A shocking win. Eastern France went into this with the intent of attacking with, of course, the intent of victory, but given their luck over the past two games the Victors had expected at best a draw. Indeed, that was how it seemed it would be for nearly the entire game. Both teams went into the game knowing that this would decide who would go on and who would be eliminated from the competition, and that led to an aggressive and ferocious performance by both teams. Shots on the goals were occurring left and right, but the score was kept even by the speed and prowess of keepers Lissi and Schröder. As the game hit the 80 minute marker it seemed apparent that at this rate neither team was going to secure the victory. However, all it took was one tiny mistake by GU defender Richard Hummel, who failed to cover EF forward and captain Alexander Bouzina, who had a wide open chance on the goal; seeing this opportunity, forward Jakob Duval passed the ball clean to Bouzina, who then turned and, nearly unaccosted, sent the ball sailing over the head of keeper Schröder, scoring a point for the Victors. The 0-0 tie broken, the Panzers seemed to suddenly lack the aggression and energy that had kept the game equal previously. Not content with winning by one point, however, the Victors continued to put the pressure on, and just three minutes later, Duval himself scored a point after a corner kick gave him the ball, barely managing to send it flying into the GU goal as the Panzer defenders frantically converged upon him.

Surprisingly, no EF players were carded during this game, despite the expectations of the vast majority (including the Victors themselves). In fact, the Panzers took two yellow cards and two red cards instead. All in all, a great victory for the Victors.

[i]Live from the Cup of Nations V in Pravus Ingruo - Day Three[/i]

19. Serene Republic of Vaule v. DSR of Sri Lanka [b]0-0[/b]
Goals: None

This is, quite simply, a disgrace.
Then again, with the performance of the entire group during this cup, one wonders whether we'll even survive the quarter finals. Neither team had many chances, but then again neither team actually tried hard enough to get chances.
It's as if our boys knew "hey, we've basically own with a draw, let's do that". You know what I say to that?
Too goddamned close. Too risky.

Seriously, if we want to reach even the semifinals, our boys will have to work a lot, a lot harder than this.
I mean, really. We can do better than this. We did better the last time we were playing in the cup of nations. We were even one of the favourites then, we could've won!

What has happened, Yellows?

Edited by Lynneth

22. England v. Marscurian Siberia 1-0
Goals: ENG: Hamil (2) 93’
Clean Sheets: ENG: Henshaw (1)
England wins Group C with 6 points and will face the Commonwealth of Canada. Marscurian Siberia advances of goal differential and will face the Empire of Pravus Ingruo.

From Mietonka:

Hello, this is Maksim Yabinovitz in the main plaza of the Mietonka Sports Complex, where a crowd of well over 1000 is gathered to watch the final qualifying match against the English team on a giant projection screen set up. The match is currently heating up, with us at minute 89, and the score is still 0-0. This is certainly an exciting period. It seems the match will indeed go into overtime. The iron defense of Mikhail Simoltech has kept all opponents score-free for the entire tournament, but can he keep it this way for another 15 minutes? Don't send the kids to bed yet folks, because the action is just starting. Hold on, there seems to be an announcement coming in. I'm going to point the camera towards the screen so that we can get a glimpse of this.

[i]On the screen:
Hello viewers of the current England-Marscurian Siberia game. We would like to offer this piece of Cup of Nations news. In the recent game that just concluded, the team from Boston defeated the team from Cochin 1-0. We will now return you to your game in progress.[/i]

Wow, this is certainly a shocker. The Bostonian win brings them up to 4 points, tying them with the Tigers. A win or a tie will put us above them, so let's watch and see what happens.

It's minute 93, and we're currently getting some action from the English. They're driving the ball down the field, deep into Tiger territory. They've gotten past the forwards and the midfielders, but will our strong defense take care of them? The ball is passed to English star forward Hamil, who is now facing down Simoltech. There's a shot, and OH MY GOD, IT GOT PAST MIKHAIL SIMOLTECH! This brings the score to 1-0 in favor of England! What will happen now?!

And the time is winding down. The Tigers have the ball with 30 seconds left, deep in English territory. The clock is winding down. 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... A shot is taken at the goal but it's a miss! The English have won this game! It's a sad day indeed for Marscurian soccer. The Tiger's fate in the tournament is uncertain, with our 4 points tying us to the Bostonian team. There appears to be an official walking on the field now. Let's see what he has to say.

[i]Official:
Hello. I would first of all like to congratulate the English team on their magnificent victory today. This victory brings you to six points, and a place in the quarterfinals. The second team from Group C that is entering is, based on a point differential in their first game... the team from Marscurian Siberia! Congratulations![/i]

We did it! Well people, as you can probably tell from the sounds of the crowd behind me, this is great news. In their second Cup of Nations appearance, the Tigers continue past the qualifiers. Will they achieve the same greatness they did in the last cup? Only time will tell, but tonight is certainly a night for celebration. I don't know the last time I've seen so many flags flying. People are cheering, dancing, hugging and kissing, and just having a good time. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a party to attend. This is Maksim Yabinovitz, live from the Mietonka Sports Complex, signing off.

[center][size="5"][font="Palatino Linotype"][b]Quarterfinals Results[/b][/font][/size][/center]
25. Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. [b]Marscurian Siberia[/b] 1-2
Goals: MS: Untral (3) 77’, Weiss (1) 91’, EPI: Spalding (1) 36’
Yellow Cards: MS: D. Kigel (1), Aaronivich (1)

26. DSR of Sri Lanka v. [b]Zargathia[/b] 1-2
Goals: Z: McKenna (2) 55’, Makarov (1) 87’, DSL: Silva (1) 71’
Yellow Cards: Z: McKenna (1)
(Makarov in as a sub for Yu)

27. England v. [b]Commonwealth of Canada[/b] 0-1
Goals: CoC: Clarke (1) 79’
Clean Sheet: CoC: Adamson (3)
Yellow Cards: ENG: Catteroll (1), CoC: Harris (1)
Red Cards: ENG: Bolton (2 match suspension)

28. [b]People’s Republic of Mongolia[/b] v. Eastern France 2-1
Goals: PRM: Tukar (2) 7’, 19’, EF: Bouzina (2) 54’

Empire of Pravus Ingruo v. [b]Marscurian Siberia[/b] 1-2
Goals: MS: Untral (3) 77’, Weiss (1) 91’, EPI: Spalding (1) 36’
Yellow Cards: MS: D. Kigel (1), Aaronivich (1)

Well, that’s that. But I mean, really, who’s surprised? Warren never had this team in the right state of mind to win this tournament. They scheme wasn’t correct, the players weren’t correct, and it showed on the pitch. Three goals in four games is not Imperial football.

It looked like we were finally on the right track after Spalding got a hell of a pass from Culver in the 36th. The long pass landed out in front of him, allowing Spalding to use his speed on the breakaway and notch the game’s first marker.

The match continued basically even after that. But a sustained attack by the Tigers in the 77th led to seven Crimson Lion players packed within the penalty area. Now, you’d think this would make it nigh impossible for a team to score, but the entire seven bunched up on the right side of the box, allowing Untral to streak in and score his third individual goal of the tournament. Dawlish never had a chance. Just to give you an idea at how bad the Crimson Lion offense has been this tournament, Untral has as many goals himself as this entire TEAM has.

It looked like we’d be heading to PKs after that, something that could only have warmed the hearts of Imperial football fans with how Dawlish had been playing, but a bad turnover followed by a laser of a shot by Teodor Weiss left the Crimson Lions and their faithful stunned. Their tournament was over.

I got word just before this posting that Paul Warren has already been fired as manager of the national team. Good riddance. We’ll see if the Crimson Lions lose their #1 world ranking because of this debacle.

[i]Live from the Cup of Nations V in Pravus Ingruo - Quarterfinals[/i]

26. DSR of Sri Lanka v. Zargathia [b]1-2[/b]
Goals: Z: McKenna (2) 55’, Makarov (1) 87’, DSL: Silva (1) 71’

"Well, damn. That's that.
We didn't even make it past the quarter finals, as many have predicted. The team wasn't working well with each other. The trainer made a few bad decisions. They weren't in top form, having slacked since the last Cup.

Better luck next time, I suppose. And good game, Zargathia. You played well.

A detailed analysis of the game after the news..."

People’s Republic of Mongolia v. Eastern France 2-1
Goals: PRM: Tukar (2) 7’, 19’, EF: Bouzina (2) 54’

This game was an utter shame. Eastern France went into the game expecting their aggressive, fierce playing style to carry them to a victory. However, the Iron Wolves had other ideas. As soon as the Victors entered the field the Mongolians clamped down on their defence, shutting Eastern France out of the goal while moving up the field to go on the offensive. Right at the start of the game, not eight minutes into the game, Mongolian forward Hemujin Tukar streaked up the field and sent the ball sailing past keeper Alexander Lissi, who could only stand by in shame as the Iron Wolves celebrated their first goal. Barely more than ten minutes later, Tukar repeated this success, much to the anger of the Victors. From then on the Eastern French team finally got their asses in gear, and began a prolonged assault on the Mongolian goal, often carrying the ball right up the field and shooting on the Mongolian goal, never allowing the Mongolians to hold onto the ball long enough to get it to the Eastern French side of the field. However, despite the continuous attacks on the goal, Mongolian keeper Bok Tourgin remained cool-headed under the pressure and managed many miraculous saves. However, in the fifty fourth minute, an opportunity finally opened up; the ball sailed through the air towards forward and captain Bouzina, who then sent the ball crashing into the Mongolian goal with a powerful header. Just when it seemed the Victors were going to pull their way back into the game, Bouzina was called off-sides right before making good on a perfect goal-scoring opportunity in the 60th minute, and the Victors simply lost their energy from that point on. The Mongolians walked away from the game with two points to the Eastern French one, and the Victors walked away hanging their heads in shame.

*Sky Sports News*

Englands fall from the Cup of Nations comes as a great surprise to the nation after the 1-0 defeat to Canada. Manager, Big Sam has been quoted saying " I won't blame myself or training staff, I certainly won't blame the players like other nations have done. It was to be honest, a superior team we played. The Canadians gave us a sound thrashing due to their evidently better playing style. I can speak for everyone in the English team and other staff, that we look forward to competing again".

"The early exit of the Cochin National Football Team has been a heavy shock for us. The humiliation of having to exit in the group stage itself is not something that Cochin Football Association would take lightly. To the citizens of Cochin, we promise a total revamp of the Cochin National Football Team so that in the next Cup of Nations it may showcase a game much worthier of the footballing traditions of Cochin," Bhaichung Bhutia, Manager of the team said in a press conference at Bombay Airport.

The latest victory for the Iron Wolves brought Mongolians across the Republic to their feet, in cities throughout the nation Mongolians are showing their support for their team. Prime Minister Yanjmma was seen wearing a Iron Wolves shirt during a parliamentary meeting. "I cannot believe how far we've come, at this point we are just happy to have gotten this far"- Bataar Yulik

[font="Palatino Linotype"][size="5"][center][b]Semifinals[/b][/center][/size][/font]
29. Marscurian Siberia v. [b]Commonwealth of Canada[/b] 0-1
Goals: CoC: Clarke (2) 73’
Clean Sheet: CoC: Adamson (4)
Yellow Cards: MS: L. Kigel (1)
Red Card: MS: Untral (2 match suspension)
Injuries: CoC: Preston (3 matches)

30. [b]Zargathia[/b] v. People’s Republic of Mongolia 1-0
Goals: Z: Meleager (1) 70’
Clean Sheet: Z: Van Vliet (2)
(Meleager in as sub for Virtanen)

[center][size="5"][font="Palatino Linotype"][b]Third Place Game Result[/b][/font][/size][/center]
31. [b]Marscurian Siberia[/b] v. People’s Republic of Mongolia 1-1 (3-2p)
Goals: MS: Sarkman (1) 74’, PRM: Ulen (2) 88’

[center][b][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="5"]Final[/size][/font][/b][/center]
32. Commonwealth of Canada v. [b]Zargathia[/b] 0-1
Goals: Z: Pan (2) 97’
Clean Sheet: Z: Van Vliet (3)
Yellow Cards: CoC: Preston (1)

[center][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="5"][b]Awards[/b][/size][/font][/center]
[b]Tournament MVP[/b]: Peter Adamson, Commonwealth of Canada (4 Clean Sheets, 2 GA in 6 games)
[b]Golden Boot[/b]: Vladimir Untral, Mascurian Siberia (3 goals)

Everywhere in Zargathia, national flags were waved and spontaneous partying carried on until after dawn in a number of cases as the Red Dragons brought home the Cup of Nations. In Harbin, there were some minor injuries when the floor of a fountain collapsed under the weight of a crowd all jumping into the fountain to celebrate, and there were some fireworks related incidents in several other cities, but there were no fatalities or serious injuries reported anywhere.

Where even optimists had believed a spot in the quarterfinals to be the best attainable, coach Niowanggiyan had implemented some clever surprises that allowed for the occasional unexpected scoring opportunity.

Commonwealth of Canada v. [b]Zargathia[/b] 0-1

The Commonwealth, with Adamson on goal, had been the favorite to win the finals due to the tenacity of both its defense and goalkeeper. Zargathia on the other hand had been mostly going on heart and determination to make up for their team's general lack of experience. With Sørensen once again recovered from his injury during the group stage the Zargathian offense was once again complete, though his stamina was still showing some problems.

The spectators in the sold-out stadium witnessed a game where Zargathia fought tooth and nail against the Canadian offense, goalkeeper Van Vliet proving his worth as one of the tallest goalkeepers in the Zargathian competition on several occasions. Though the 'battle for midfield' slowed down somewhat as fatigue started kicking in in the second half, the flow of the game remained the same, with the Commonwealth getting the majority of scoring opportunities, though the Zargathian counters were swift and dangerous in their own right.

As the game went into extra time, and people started to expect a penalty shootout, it had been one of these counters that resulted in the Zargathian victory. Using a 3-on-3 situation on the Canadian half, Sørensen rushed forward on a pass from Kim, drawing two defenders to cover him. However, the pass had been aimed behind him, allowing midfielder Pan a scoring opportunity which the Nestor of the team (age 34) sent into the top right corner.

An interview with Pan said that it was 'the best retirement gift i could imagine'. Pan has announced he will be joining coach Niowanggiyan as an assistant for the next Cup of Nations.

[quote]
"Zargathia congratulates all teams that have competed in the Cup of Nations V, and will be looking forward to seeing you again for the Cup of Nations VI. Congratulations to all for a tournament well played."[/quote]

Edited by Amyante