CNRP and what it's become

Sithis

[quote name='Sithis' timestamp='1300121356' post='2664646']For an example of what things used to be like, look no further than [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=29796"]this thread[/url].[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Looking at that thread again, what I noticed and thought was simply beautiful was just how many people participated in RP threads back then.

Nowadays it seems most RP threads are pre-ordained as restricted to a select few - and I am guilty of this as much as anyone else, as my RP in the past two years has been very regional-focused so only feasibly involving Vedran (Arctica) and one or two others that have a direct stake or involvement in my former RP nation.[/color]

[quote name='Sithis' timestamp='1300121356' post='2664646']CNRP is much more than just coming to these forums and detailing how large your military stockpile is. CNRP is about the interactions of people we all created, intricate characters who have personalities we crafted over time. It's not some dick waving contest where you can say that because you have a nuclear stockpile that you are the strongest nation and no one can touch you.[/quote]

[color="#000080"]And there is why I never liked all of these multiplier rules - because all they do is needlessly increase the size of people's dicks - and to use that as a crude but effective analogy: who cares how big it is? It's how you use it that matters... I always took delight in the fact that my ground forces were tiny in "numbers" compared to everyone else's, but at the end of the day, my troops were still just as effective. Why did I need to have a 40,000,000 man army when I could accomplish the same with 40,000 or 4,000 or 400?[/color]

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1300222586' post='2665778']Looking at that thread again, what I noticed and thought was simply beautiful was just how many people participated in RP threads back then. [/quote]

[color="#000080"]Also... re-reading that thread, I had forgotten all about Van Matteus having the hots for Sarah Sanchez.[/color] :ehm:

Edited by Botha

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1300222586' post='2665778']
[color="#000080"]And there is why I never liked all of these multiplier rules - because all they do is needlessly increase the size of people's dicks - and to use that as a crude but effective analogy: who cares how big it is? It's how you use it that matters... I always took delight in the fact that my ground forces were tiny in "numbers" compared to everyone else's, but at the end of the day, my troops were still just as effective. Why did I need to have a 40,000,000 man army when I could accomplish the same with 40,000 or 4,000 or 400?[/color]
[/quote]

That analogy can be used by the opposition too, why should we stay limited to 400 or 4,000 if 400,000 doesn't give an advantage nor disadvantage to any side?

Why would one RP with such a small number of soldiers is beyond me... seems like a no-brainer that an entire nation that is the size of the common SOI sizes within CNRP would have, NEED more the 400 troops.

Also, there is no way I would ever allow myself to be the Persian Army in what would essentially be a re-enactment of that dreadful movie, 300.

Edited by Executive Minister

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1300224011' post='2665801']Why would one RP with such a small number of soldiers is beyond me... seems like a no-brainer that an entire nation that is the size of the common SOI sizes within CNRP would have, NEED more the 400 troops.[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Without trying to derail the topic, CN is NOT an accurate statistical representation of RL nations - so why does it need to reflect RL situations? Evidently it IS possible and feasible for large SOI to have small populations and armies occupying them.

Anyways, I think the focus of Sithis' thread is less about focusing on the number-crunching and more about the state of RP compared to 3~ years ago and what's brought about that change.[/color]

Whats brought about the change since the beginning of CN is simple. When this game began early on, most people came from that other game which was RP oriented. Early alliances which migrated over like the Orders and ODN spent years as factions in that other game. Migrations starting with LUE and continuing with GOONs, FARK, FAN etc were not from NS but from boards which had no tradition of RP. As time has gone by, more of CN has come to be dominated by gamers rather than RPers. I don't notice any particular degree of decline among older players RP, I just notice that there are less of them as to be expected.

I've always tried to be fair in wars. I allow something to break though every time just so I can give the enemy a little fun. Of course, the opposition sees the thing as "pew pew" and not RP, so when I allow them to do something they corner me and ruin my fun.

I think what we should do from now own is be fair. Your big and you win, but don't make it unenjoyable for another person. If you are going to get your way, at least do it with class.

Of course, that isn't the point of this thread.