I call for a moratorium on signing new treaties!

kpcurley

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1292718474' post='2543273']
Yea, most wars are about gaining in relative strength.

It's not a problem with the community, but a systematic one with the age of the planet. More nations being around longer raises the average of nations, which means the average or relevant size is a lot larger, which means that it takes a lot longer to reach or re-reach that average or relevant size.
[/quote]

Exactly. It just takes longer to get back within reach of making it a decent fight.

It's not like Fernando implies. He would say you're better off being an AA of under 20k NS nations, but then you aren't relevant in a military application. You'd only matter in a small niche market.

It takes serious mismanagement to screw up a war when your top end can't be hit. We all know it's possible since we've seen it recently, but most AAs aren't going to be knocked out of a fight if you can't hit them (and last long enough at those numbers to make it count)in the 80k and higher nations.

[quote name='Fernando12' timestamp='1292699517' post='2542891']
Are you?

Why doesn't your alliance start a war? The treaty web does not prevent wars. People fearing losing prevents wars. kpcurley, you should take your alliance to war every few months and start the domino effect on the treaty web if you want more wars. You never know, it might stay isolated or it might go global. War is in your hands, stop making ridiculous suggestions.
[/quote]

I am obviously! Thats why I started the thread, duh! I'd love to start something, but then it would stay isolated. Since I would have no CB, we'd have a big PR drama. Plus I sorta resigned from the helm of my 15 man crew. It's you big boys, who have the power to start something interesting.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1292720588' post='2543328']
Um, is this a joke? :mellow:

The lower tier is pointless, and if that's all you have, all your nations are going to be rolled by nations twice as big. And fighting until you're all lower tier isn't going to get you out of reps, either ... just look at TPF in Karma.
[/quote]
Well, it would take alot of management but I am not talking lower tier like 25k and below.

Take Umbrella for an example. An alliance of 50k average is safe from Umbrella. Depending on the numbers an alliance could enter a war with their 50k average and fight at that range and at the ranges as they drop in strength. To say mid to lower tiers are irrelevant is naive. A large alliance or coalition of 50k average nations could seriously put a hurt on many alliances. I think it's possible to reach a stalemate as the mid to lower tier nations begin to cry for peace and in a way revolt against their larger alliance member nations who are not able to enter into any real fighting.

The strategy that the current small side of the web could employ is to reach a superiority in numbers with nations at 50k NS. What would Umbrella do? Just watch and send aid?

If my army has a large horse cavalry I'm not going to attack you in a forest now am I. I'm going to try and track you down and trample you on an open field. Same theory applies here. Why attack Umbrella and it's allies at their strong point? Avoid it, fight where you have the advantage.

I know, easier said than done, but we get these periods of no one able to do anything because everyone is waiting a year to rebuild.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1292699526' post='2542892']
As always, treaties are the symptom, not the cause. You wouldn't change anything by doing this. And if you're so bored with the status quo, do something about it ... personally I think the politics is rather interesting at the moment.
[/quote]

You happen to be one of the lucky few who is actually involved.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1292720588' post='2543328']
Um, is this a joke? :mellow:

The lower tier is pointless, and if that's all you have, all your nations are going to be rolled by nations twice as big. And fighting until you're all lower tier isn't going to get you out of reps, either ... just look at TPF in Karma.
[/quote]

I think he is arguing that more people need to be like FAN, but that takes total commitment and there are not many willing to go that far. Also, TPF in Karma was about payback for past deeds according to the people who set them reps, so that is not necessarily the sort of sitution he was considering either.

[quote name='Ying Yang Mafia' timestamp='1292730082' post='2543661']
You happen to be one of the lucky few who is actually involved.
[/quote]

^I agree with this. For the vast majority of players, waiting for things to happen can be about as thrilling as watching paint dry. Now, when things do happen we get more entertainment out of it; I had no clue the NpO and Legion or MK & TOP treaties were coming. :D But between times things can be a real drag.

If you want to be more involved, [i]get more involved[/i]. It only took me about 3 months in VE, one of the larger alliances with lots of talented people. If you go join a democratic alliance – ODN or GATO would be large enough to be involved in real politics – and run a campaign that shows you know what you're talking about and you're committed, you could easily be in a government role in a month.

I'd like to see more politics played out in the open, or at least released say a month or a quarter behind the time, so everyone gets to understand what's actually going on. But unless your alliance is very closed-mouthed, there will be plenty of chatter about medium-level politics and chances to advance.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1292761064' post='2544315']
If you want to be more involved, [i]get more involved[/i]. It only took me about 3 months in VE, one of the larger alliances with lots of talented people. If you go join a democratic alliance – ODN or GATO would be large enough to be involved in real politics – and run a campaign that shows you know what you're talking about and you're committed, you could easily be in a government role in a month.

I'd like to see more politics played out in the open, or at least released say a month or a quarter behind the time, so everyone gets to understand what's actually going on. But unless your alliance is very closed-mouthed, there will be plenty of chatter about medium-level politics and chances to advance.
[/quote]

I'm all for the politics, only thing that keeps me going....but even I am hitting my head against a wall lately.

Edited by nutkase