IP at University

blkknight

I have just started attending university and seeing as the entire university is under one network my roommate raised a concern about us all having the same IP. Is there something that I should report about playing cybernations and will I have the same IP if someone else from the university plays since we are using the same internet connection?

Edited by blkknight

Sadly, theres really nothing you can do but hope that nobody else at your university plays Cyber Nations.

Some universities assign different ip addresses to different areas, but thats hard to tell, you might contact their IT people. Best solution might be to try to find a smaller network to connect to the game from, to improve the chances that you'll be the only person from their connecting to Cyber Nations.

One further point...sorry, forums aren't letting me edit my posts. <_<

If you connect to the Internet wirelessly from your dorm room, you should check the IP address from both computers. Odds are you're both on the same IP and one of you will have to find an alternative place to plug in and play. An empty classroom can serve this function. Once again however, make sure you check the IP address. So long as you never share an IP (or as I say a computer) you should be ok.

It should be noted that one computer can have multiple IP addresses, and if you see an IP in the 10.0.0.0/8 range, or 192.168.0.0/16 range, then your on a subnet. (Oh, and 127.0.0.1 is localhost.)

Some sites such as "Shields Up!" (IIRC) will show you the IP they see you as.