International Criminal Police Organization

Vedran

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1280406143' post='2393840']
OOC: Observerman is the Sarnungian way of saying representative.//

Observerman Jackal smiled at the document. "I do believe it is easy to say my country will support INTERPOL, but what is harder is that Sarnungian laws and the concept of punishment and justice tend to be far different than the rest of the world. What happens when someone commits a criminal act in one country and flees to another, and the second would not classify the man as a criminal? Perhaps this is an unlikely situation but laws and punishments do differ widely with different countries - perhaps maybe we can all agree drug smugglers are bad, but what if we disagree on the way of punishment? The Sarnungian Republic doesn't endorse the death penalty and we don't extradite to nations with the death penalty, so how would this be accomplished?"
[/quote]

"We understand your concerns, Mr. Jackal, which is why INTERPOL is not an executive body, it would exist so that every nation is aware of the intricate legal peculiarities of other nations. As of now, the Kingdom is unaware of the extradition and legal policies of Sarnungian Republic. With INTERPOL, there is one sure shot way of knowing your legal stands and of course INTERPOL would be a medium through which my nation could contact your nation's law enforcement agencies to apprehend a criminal who has escaped to your nation. INTERPOL will not have the right to force you or any nation to do anything, if your laws do not consider certain acts as criminal, of course it is your decision, but via INTERPOL we will know what is your policy and request for the transfer.

The concept of INTERPOL is basically cooperation and understanding, as far as we see it," Gen. Faraz said.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was afraid of that. While cooperation and understanding is all well and good, the laws of any nation should be public record and widely available to all anyway, and a request to contact law enforcement should easily be done through an embassy, who, being from the home nation, would know who to contact. I guess I have less of a concern and more of a general disagreement on the passiveness of the organisation, but I can understand easily the concerns that would be voiced should INTERPOL be given actual powers. Thank you for the answer. That all done with, I suppose that the Republic is willing to sign - perhaps something better is in store and we wish to be there when it is."

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1280460323' post='2394729']
Question: If INTERPOL is chasing a criminal, or has a warrant for someone's arrest in a member country, do agents have the right to just bust in and arrest? Or, do they need to go through the local law enforcement authorities?
[/quote]

"Under the original document and the amendments proposed so far, Interpol has no agents that chase anyone. It helps individual countries chase them themselves."

[quote name='Vedran' timestamp='1280461806' post='2394744']
"Under the original document and the amendments proposed so far, Interpol has no agents that chase anyone. It helps individual countries chase them themselves."
[/quote]Then, how does one expect INTERPOL to be effective? You need agents to go into countries that have the right to conduct investigations as to where criminals are. I mean, do you expect Cochinese cops to go into Australia to knock on doors without authority?

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1280462056' post='2394746']
Then, how does one expect INTERPOL to be effective? You need agents to go into countries that have the right to conduct investigations as to where criminals are. I mean, do you expect Cochinese cops to go into Australia to knock on doors without authority?
[/quote]

"A database as well as a body of representatives from member nations would allow the organization to help law enforcement agencies worldwide."

[quote name='Minilla Island' timestamp='1280462056' post='2394746']
Then, how does one expect INTERPOL to be effective? You need agents to go into countries that have the right to conduct investigations as to where criminals are. I mean, do you expect Cochinese cops to go into Australia to knock on doors without authority?
[/quote]

Through INTERPOL, Cochin cops would know whom to contact in Australia and to arrange issues of law enforcement in a speedier manner. Hassles of international diplomacy cause unnecessary delays in simple communication that can be effective in checking international crime. INTERPOL provides a service of council and association by which issues can be shared and discussed in a more convenient manner. INTERPOL would have no right to violate jurisdiction of any nation's law enforcement agency.

Let us consider for example that Cochin is aware of an arms dealer "P" who has supposedly started smuggling contraband arms to some insurgent group in Cochin. The details of such group can be shared with INTERPOL with a request for further information and help in apprehension of the said person from other nations. Now if Australia is aware of such a person operating in Australia, Australia can now decide whether or not to apprehend that person or increase monitoring him so that crime can be prevented.