Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

I am planning on using Radiata Pine wood as part of the armoring of a heavy armored tank to cut down the weight. Wood generally has a higher strength to weight ratio than metal, which is why I am planning on using thick slabs of treated Radiata Pine wood that are resistant against insects, fungi, decay, and fire.

Would it be realistic for me to RP tanks partially armored with treated wood?

Edited by HHAYD

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning on using Radiata Pine wood as part of the armoring of a heavy armored tank to cut down the weight. Wood generally has a higher strength to weight ratio than metal, which is why I am planning on using thick slabs of treated Radiata Pine wood that are resistant against insects, fungi, decay, and fire.

Would it be realistic for me to RP tanks partially armored with treated wood?

I'm just going to come out and say that that isn't a great idea. As armor, the wood would still be highly susceptible to heat, and would fracture to bits when hit by most explosives, regardless of treatment. On top of it, highly dense woods are still fairly heavy, less so than steel, but still not the lightest bunch of trees.

All in all, using wood like that in a tank would not be a great idea, regardless of how its treated. or its natural density.

Tell me, what level of tech do I need to weaponize scottys?

Image001.jpg

Seriously, if the Soviets had anti-tank dogs, it might be worth it to make machine-gun armed dogs. :P

The Soviets trained their anti-tank dogs to walk underneath tanks by always putting their food underneath tanks. For machine-gun dogs, you have to find a way to train them to get them to run toward enemy positions without yelping and deserting.

The Soviets trained their anti-tank dogs to walk underneath tanks by always putting their food underneath tanks. For machine-gun dogs, you have to find a way to train them to get them to run toward enemy positions without yelping and deserting.

Hmm, if they can remote-control mice, they can remote control dogs. <__<

Now I just need to find some concrete research about computers-in-brains besides a documentary I saw.

Hmm, if they can remote-control mice, they can remote control dogs. <__<

Now I just need to find some concrete research about computers-in-brains besides a documentary I saw.

I think it would be cheaper and maybe more ethical to deploy robots so you don't have to deal with international animal activists.

So, before I officially put them into service, I have two vehicles I would like to check for problems. I am certaint hat they would work, just want them checked for rules stuff:

Boar Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Boar-6.png

Primary Armament: 40 mm Autocannon

Secondary Armaments:

--5 7.62mm Machine guns

--Javelin Anti-Tank missiles (2 in launcher, 8 stored for use)

-- Smoke-grenade launchers

Crew: 3 + 6

Weight: 31 tons

Armor: Rolled Steel with Depleted Uranium Mesh, NERA plates, Modular (Of a Weight not exceeding 12 tons)

Operational range: 600 km

Speed: 70 kmh

Anti Missile System (Visual system, cannot physically shoot missile out of the sky)

Doubglehorne APC

DoubglehorneAPC-2.png

Primary Armament:

--20 mm Fully Automatic Grenade Turret

--20 mm Autocannon

Secondary Armament: 7.62 mm Machine Gun Turret

Amphibious

Crew: 4+12 (In a pinch, can carry 18 [soldiers would be pressed shoulder to shoulder allowing no room for body armor or weapons, which they would need to get as they got out], 24 if people sit on the floor[This would lower the storage capacity for ammo, weapons, and other equipment])

Capable of carrying Large stores of ammunition and spare weapons

2,200 km operational range

Top Speed on land: 110 Km/h, 20 km/h in water

Armor: Depleted Uranium Mesh, NERA plates

Weight: 27 Tons

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

So, before I officially put them into service, I have two vehicles I would like to check for problems. I am certaint hat they would work, just want them checked for rules stuff:

Boar Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Boar-6.png

Primary Armament: 40 mm Autocannon

Secondary Armaments:

--5 7.62mm Machine guns

--Javelin Anti-Tank missiles (2 in launcher, 8 stored for use)

-- Smoke-grenade launchers

Crew: 3 + 6

Weight: 31 tons

Armor: Rolled Steel with Depleted Uranium Mesh, NERA plates, Modular (Of a Weight not exceeding 12 tons)

Operational range: 600 km

Speed: 70 kmh

Anti Missile System (Visual system, cannot physically shoot missile out of the sky)

Doubglehorne APC

DoubglehorneAPC-2.png

Primary Armament:

--20 mm Fully Automatic Grenade Turret

--20 mm Autocannon

Secondary Armament: 7.62 mm Machine Gun Turret

Amphibious

Crew: 4+12 (In a pinch, can carry 18 [soldiers would be pressed shoulder to shoulder allowing no room for body armor or weapons, which they would need to get as they got out], 24 if people sit on the floor[This would lower the storage capacity for ammo, weapons, and other equipment])

Capable of carrying Large stores of ammunition and spare weapons

2,200 km operational range

Top Speed on land: 110 Km/h, 20 km/h in water

Armor: Depleted Uranium Mesh, NERA plates

Weight: 27 Tons

The boar seems totally fine... like a beefed up version of the original Bradley IFV... the version with the firing ports.

The doubglehorn however, well, the sloped bit in the front would make it highly susceptible to tilt-rod antitank mines. The top bit would hit the rods only when the APC has already passed over the mine, which would then detonate right below the fuselage... many deaths to the passengers since they'd be sitting in the middle facing out towards the sides.

If they arent, and the passengers are sitting along the sides facing towards each other, then they'd lose their feet.

Edited by Executive Minister

th_MTAMannerheimFront.png

Just want to double check for this tank. Anyone have a good idea what engine it should use and approx tonnage? I assume no more than 60, because I based it off the French LeClerc, which is ~58 tonnes.

It's armor composition is Kenetic shatter-plates* ontop of RH-Steel, then NERA, then Composite,and then thinner steel for the inside of the tank.

*A concept of my own using low pressure tubes with caps to redirect shock-waves away from the inside of the tank.

Edited by BaronUberstein

The boar seems totally fine... like a beefed up version of the original Bradley IFV... the version with the firing ports.

The doubglehorn however, well, the sloped bit in the front would make it highly susceptible to tilt-rod antitank mines. The top bit would hit the rods only when the APC has already passed over the mine, which would then detonate right below the fuselage... many deaths to the passengers since they'd be sitting in the middle facing out towards the sides.

If they arent, and the passengers are sitting along the sides facing towards each other, then they'd lose their feet.

They have two feet for a reason.

Also, noted, I wouldn't have got that by myself, and thank you for the input ^_^

I am trying to RP the development and the deployment of anti-stealth aircraft systems. I do not know if Surfaced Based Method is allowed.

The Surfaced Based Method operates this way:

Since radio waves from stars are uninterrupted, even in the worst kind of weathers, and the abundance of stars, they can be used to detect even the most powerful stealth aircraft. The radio telescopes will track most or all of the stars' radio waves based on the already massive map of all of the known stars. Since stealth aircraft absorbs or deflect radio waves, they will show up as a blank or black spot in the system's computers' map of the stars' radio waves.

It's kind the moon being covered entirely with radar absorbing material during a solar eclipse. You won't able to detect the moon using radar, but you can certainly see it as a black spot in the sunlight. Same thing with stealth aircraft and the radio waves from stars.

The radio telescopes will be placed underneath in open farm area with camouflage and inside large civilian buildings (hospitals, schools, etc).

I can't figure out how to enable the radio telescopes to be able to direct AA missiles toward enemy stealth aircraft.

Source: http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/Anti-StealthTechnology.pdf

Also, is it possible to connect miniature rail guns to radar and anti-stealth radio telescope stations so they can fire at enemy aircraft?

Edited by HHAYD

Surely you mean 8mm railguns? Because my battleship's biggest calibre is 30 mm.

Excuse me for not knowing the caliber, cannon, gun, etc size system. A chart or something would help RPers who are new to the military stuff classification.

Edited by HHAYD

Railguns use much smaller rounds because they're so much more powerful.

What is the smallest rail gun caliber size that can efficiently and accurately punch through aircraft flying at mach 3 or higher?

Edited by HHAYD

What is the smallest rail gun caliber size that can efficiently and accurately punch through aircraft flying at mach 3 or higher?

You could use 2-4 mm flechettes to kill aircraft, in a kind of shotgun-effect. For stability, these flechettes should be about 6 times as ong as wide (diameter/caliber).

I'd imagine they're all in a bigger cylinder, which opens in proximity to a plane or after a timer has expired. Of course, the danger of this thing is: Where do they come down?