Roman Empire Announcement

Varianz

I am not saying that you should tell people who you are going to attack before you attack them.

I am saying that you should release the lists of members in each cohort. That way if a small alliance wanted a "training exercise" against a RE cohort they would have that opportunity.

Essentially you are able to hide behind the large numbers of your alliance until you are ready to attack. Because not only does a small alliance have to worry about RE attacking them, but they won't know who is in a cohort so they don't even have the opportunity to plan an attack. Giving a list of members in a cohort after the attack doesn't do them any good, because it will be obvious once all the wars are declared who is in each cohort.

But I guess in "real" situations you will always get the benefit of being the aggressor. You would think that if the point was really training then it might benefit you guys to have to be prepared for both an offensive war or to defend yourselves in case of a surprise attack. If nothing else but to see how your members of the cohorts can rally and start counter attacking.

Like I said earlier, it isn't a bad strategy, but I don't see how you can justify it other than we are bigger so we can do this and deal with it.

I only suggested that you guys release your cohort lists so that if a micro alliance wanted to do the same thing to you guys and play by the same rules they would have that chance.

It would at least be the honorable thing for you guys to do.

This I agree with. I posted earlier about this as well but got no response.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said earlier, it isn't a bad strategy, but I don't see how you can justify it other than we are bigger so we can do this and deal with it.

No no, it's pretty much the "we're bigger then you so deal with it" thing. We aren't denying that our size gives us the ability to do this without worrying about real damage. So I don't think there's a point to arguing anymore.

So your telling me that Roman Legions are going to pick off small alliances one-by-one? You realize eventually your going to turn (*cough* the CIA *cough*) into more than 33% of the game :P

We'll give them the lists after the attack. Get over your little "oh the evil RE is gonna attack small alliances" pose. If you don't like it, do something about it.

K done.

At what point does crying foul become an actual military strategy to meet this new policy?

It's a war game, has been since it's inception, always will be. This post could easily be "Oh btw, RE as a whole is just going to roll over every smaller alliance" instead it's "A part of RE will be attacking Smaller alliances, and unlike if all RE attacked the smaller alliance, you'll actually have a fighting chance" He's essentially said that he's giving a smaller alliance a chance to WIN a victory over RE. It could be RE's going to roll everyone, and that would be just as justified. It's a war game after all.

People crying foul here don't seem to get that Tibs is actually doing you a favor, he's giving you a fighting chance. He didn't have to, he certainly doesn't GAIN anything by doing it, he could conduct training exercises under two different conditions.

1) He could do them using his entire alliance at once.

2) He could do them without ever having made this post, so you'd have no clue that the threat existed.

Somedays I think if hear the word "fair" to describe military action in this game one more time I'll give up on trying to figure out human beings survived long enough to invent tools, guess what everyone, for the past oh... all of human history, battles tended to be won more often by one single factor more than any other. Surprise. It's how Alexander won his battles, it's how Napoleon did it, and it's how the Allies in WW2 did it. Tibs just did you all a favor by throwing surprise out the window. So take off the skirts, build up your defenses, and prepare for it. He's basically told you all, look out we are coming. So instead of complaining about it, how about you.. I don't know.. prepare for it?

This whole thread reminds me of a Mark Twain Quote "If you take a stray dog, feed it, give it attention, and care for it, it will be loyal to you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man" Show a little gratitude :P

Somedays I think if hear the word "fair" to describe military action in this game one more time I'll give up on trying to figure out human beings survived long enough to invent tools, guess what everyone, for the past oh... all of human history, battles tended to be won more often by one single factor more than any other. Surprise. It's how Alexander won his battles, it's how Napoleon did it, and it's how the Allies in WW2 did it.

If I recall my history class correctly, Germany was the big bad woof (RE) and so was Japan (TPF) until the allies had enough and destroyed them. That would be funny if it happened here, too bad everyone is too scared huh?

At what point does crying foul become an actual military strategy to meet this new policy?

It's a war game, has been since it's inception, always will be. This post could easily be "Oh btw, RE as a whole is just going to roll over every smaller alliance" instead it's "A part of RE will be attacking Smaller alliances, and unlike if all RE attacked the smaller alliance, you'll actually have a fighting chance" He's essentially said that he's giving a smaller alliance a chance to WIN a victory over RE. It could be RE's going to roll everyone, and that would be just as justified. It's a war game after all.

No one doubts its a war game... however with all of the spying, treaties, blocs, lies and other stuff I guess people could forget.

As for the fighting chance I think that is debatable which is what we are doing on the forums.

People crying foul here don't seem to get that Tibs is actually doing you a favor, he's giving you a fighting chance. He didn't have to, he certainly doesn't GAIN anything by doing it, he could conduct training exercises under two different conditions.

From what I have seen it is generally looked down on when bigger alliances curb stomp micro alliances. So it seems that the point of this announcement is to either gain support for this new policy or at least limit negative perception when or if the attacks begin.

1) He could do them using his entire alliance at once.

True, but that would be a waste of war slots.

2) He could do them without ever having made this post, so you'd have no clue that the threat existed.

True again, but like I said I think that would generate a lot of negative feelings about RE. No one likes a bully.

Somedays I think if hear the word "fair" to describe military action in this game one more time I'll give up on trying to figure out human beings survived long enough to invent tools, guess what everyone, for the past oh... all of human history, battles tended to be won more often by one single factor more than any other. Surprise. It's how Alexander won his battles, it's how Napoleon did it, and it's how the Allies in WW2 did it. Tibs just did you all a favor by throwing surprise out the window. So take off the skirts, build up your defenses, and prepare for it. He's basically told you all, look out we are coming. So instead of complaining about it, how about you.. I don't know.. prepare for it?

I don't have a problem with Tib or RE. In fact, I think what they are doing is good strategically. I just thought the announcement was a way for RE to attack smaller alliances while limiting negative reaction by making the fights seem fair. It was clear by his last post that isn't the case so it was just a matter of misunderstanding.

This whole thread reminds me of a Mark Twain Quote "If you take a stray dog, feed it, give it attention, and care for it, it will be loyal to you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man" Show a little gratitude :P

I don't know if gratitude is the right word....but never the less I think this discussion has run its course. RE is free to do whatever they want. However, when you are #1 your actions are always watched and judged. I understand that RE has to do what is best for RE and that is fine, but the if you don't like it do something about it attitude makes me uneasy. As an ally of both RE and TPF I would hate for the game to turn into an us against the world type thing.

I think it is obvious but I will just state that these opinions are mine alone and do not represent any actions/beliefs of my alliance.

Every single alliance under this description is under CDT protection.

Lol didn't you guys declare on us already? Aside from war slot filling I don't see how CDT can do anything else.

Next time think before you write.

Lol didn't you guys declare on us already? Aside from war slot filling I don't see how CDT can do anything else.

Next time think before you write.

Did I make that post before we declared war? Yes. Did you make yourself look like an idiot? Yup.

Next time, think before you write.

Looks like CDT are doing a good enough job of that on your nation.

Maybe if anyone you fought, you know, a war once in a while, your nation might look like mine! Just a thought. I understand that some of us just can't let go of our precious infra.

I lol'd. Anyone else want to put their money where their mouth is? CDT gets my respect for that, the rest of you whining about it but not doing anything, you're pathetic.

I hate it when you do this Tibs, you take all my nice long paragraphs and sum them up into one short little blurb that is so much easier to understand.

Oh and the guy who compared RE and TPF to homicidal maniacs, bite me.

I hate it when you do this Tibs, you take all my nice long paragraphs and sum them up into one short little blurb that is so much easier to understand.

Gab, you'll soon learn that posting on these forums is, more often then not, like talking to a child. You have to be very to the point, otherwise they lose track of what matters in the complexity of your argument, and are reduced to saying things like this:

Fail post was fail.
Edited by Tiberius12

Maybe if anyone you fought, you know, a war once in a while, your nation might look like mine! Just a thought. I understand that some of us just can't let go of our precious infra.

to be fair, I concur. We didn't target Tiberius' nation on purpose because he's nation was ready and already militarized. We went for softer targets instead.

On second thought I may not bother releasing the cohort roster, since it turns out there's only 3 of them.

-Bama

Actually there are more; we've just made the rest of the lists private and viewable only by members of that specific cohort (don't ask me how our Minister of the Interior did it).

Gab, you'll soon learn that posting on these forums is, more often then not, like talking to a child. You have to be very to the point, otherwise they lose track of what matters in the complexity of your argument, and are reduced to saying things like this:

LMAO!!

I think this is the truest and most to the point comment you have posted all round tibs...and it reduces the redundancy of you own

post for people who lose track or get confused :P

BG.

I think I'm going to just take it a step further and just point and grunt at some of these comments, something like this.

*points at the idiot and grunts twice*

or *points at the moronic statement and grunts once*

I'll if I can reach the bottom out point of communication here before someone beats me to it ;)

Somedays I think if hear the word "fair" to describe military action in this game one more time I'll give up on trying to figure out human beings survived long enough to invent tools, guess what everyone, for the past oh... all of human history, battles tended to be won more often by one single factor more than any other. Surprise. It's how Alexander won his battles, it's how Napoleon did it, and it's how the Allies in WW2 did it. Tibs just did you all a favor by throwing surprise out the window. So take off the skirts, build up your defenses, and prepare for it.

Gabryal, I'm glad to see that TPF has changed its view that war isn't fair. During the war last round when LE blitzed, there were ALL kinds of threads about fairness. It was starting to get kinda sad. Its been a continuous problem with an alliance of 90 set members always being 'the bad guy', no matter how big the alliance is that we attack. Its just good to see that you guys are all about war being war! Woohoo....thats what LE thinks and wants!

I hope it isn't one of those situations where this is all well and good so long as it benefits you and you start crying foul if you get beat up a bit. I hope to see the same type of threads next time the odds tip against you.

But I'm sure it is! I have found a new respect for TPF if this holds true! SALUTE!!

Edited by Grags

I'd just like to clarify I was speaking for myself, not for all of TPF. We get blitzed, and my nation get's wrecked, I won't say it was unfair, can't speak for everyone ;), however I think most of TPF gov feels the same, I just won't speak for all of TPF myself.