Cataclysmic Events

Michael McBride

Burning up in the atmosphere by falling at an acceleration of roughly 9.81 m/s² and achieving speeds numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands of km/h is completely different from being hit by some silly and mostly very small spacejunk that can be repelled rather easily with various things such as light lasers, shielding (not the energy-kind. Shielding like used in nuclear reactors, etc), regular trips by both shuttles and the gondolas, et cetera.

Also, afaik, most responsible space agencies etc keep records on the course of their satellites. Even then, do we really know if the junk in CNRP is as bad as in RL?

I'm the first person here in CNRP (to my knowledge) to do serious space-RPs.

Edit: Idea! Someone RP a cleaning operation of earth's orbit. Get the debris and recycle it in Space or on Earth!

A while back in Old Diberia, two Diberian satellites were crashed into one another by (suprise, suprise!) Aperture Science just prior to the very, very first zombie infestation. And now that I remember it, I was going to have Aperture Science blow up GTI's 5 satellites via collison as well. Probebly an RP I will do soon...

How would you be able to get the depris for recycling? Some of that space junk moves at extreamly high speeds. I imagine it would be costly to set up a mission to get far-appart depis, let alone moving at the same speed and direction as the depis. Quite a high risk/high cost/low gain scenerio, especially since large amounts of the depis is tiny.

I bet there are dozens of satellites in orbit doing nothing, as a result from nations disappearing/anarchy etc.

A while back in Old Diberia, two Diberian satellites were crashed into one another by (suprise, suprise!) Aperture Science just prior to the very, very first zombie infestation. And now that I remember it, I was going to have Aperture Science blow up GTI's 5 satellites via collison as well. Probebly an RP I will do soon...

How would you be able to get the depris for recycling? Some of that space junk moves at extreamly high speeds. I imagine it would be costly to set up a mission to get far-appart depis, let alone moving at the same speed and direction as the depis. Quite a high risk/high cost/low gain scenerio, especially since large amounts of the depis is tiny.

I bet there are dozens of satellites in orbit doing nothing, as a result from nations disappearing/anarchy etc.

The tiny chunks would actually do only relatively minor damage, and are easily moves into other orbits with the use of lasers and such. The big sats are a problem, but even they can be slowed over time.

Lasers again. I don't know the exact workings, but I'm 99% sure it works. They fire at the front of the projectile, heating it and slowing it. I guess LVN could either debunk this or provide info how/why it works.

Most of the cable would burn up in the atmosphere. I estimate less than 20-60 kilometers of cable would survive.

Perhaps, though that is one of the leading fears among scientists IRL. I don't claim to be an expert on carbon nano tubes :P. But I mean we are talking bout a cable about a meter in diameter of solid carbon nano-tubes, which are probably heat resistant on their own, and have a pretty high tensile strength. They also probably have some shielding on them to protect from mico-meteor impacts, and damage by space trash. Of course that was just an example of some logical cataclysmic event whether it would actually pan out in RP who knows. In either case while its debatable whether or not it would be some kind of earth ending event (it probably wouldn't) it would probably still be pretty bad.

Edited by iamthey

Perhaps, though that is one of the leading fears among scientists IRL. I don't claim to be an expert on carbon nano tubes :P. But I mean we are talking bout a cable about a meter in diameter of solid carbon nano-tubes, which are probably heat resistant on their own, and have a pretty high tensile strength. They also probably have some shielding on them to protect from mico-meteor impacts, and damage by space trash. Of course that was just an example of some logical cataclysmic event whether it would actually pan out in RP who knows. In either case while its debatable whether or not it would be some kind of earth ending event (it probably wouldn't) it would probably still be pretty bad.

That is more or less a major event, not devestating. There would be destruction in its wake, and perhaps it would be world ending. In real life.

So many factors can change what would happen to the cable. Unless that RP is coming, then let us stop jabbering on about it. We know it could be bad, maybe even not-so-bad. But we are not here to talk about just the space elevator.

Now, if there are nukes thrown around it should be optional for players to RP the effects of the nuclear fallout because again, we are not here to impose our/your will on other players (rules are still neccessary, of course). Of course, if the player is involved in a war with another person then they will need to roleplay the effects of the war and effects of any nuclear bomb detonations; wars should always be pre-determined anyways.