Cataclysmic Events

Michael McBride

First off, yes, I know a GM declared MV's meteor thread non-cannon. If you've come here to tell me that, GTFO.

I have no issue to cataclysmic events. In fact, I think they add spice to roleplays. However, the manner in which MV's was done is just plain wrong. So, the purpose of this thread is to discuss three things.

1) Should cataclysmic events happen at all?

2) If they happen, when should they happen? Or, more specifically, what process should be gone through as a community to pick out an event and when it occurs?

3) How should the event happen? Should there be one player posting like MV and then saying "Ok, let's go" or should there be a "Cataclysm Master" who would control the event as it happened as a neutral party to the events taking place. (For example, an earthquake 300 miles off the Eastern coast of the US creates a massive tsunami. Nations in Asia would not be affected. One of the Asian nations would be the "CM") In the event of a world-wide cataclysmic event (such as a meteor), who is the "CM"?

4) If the event is agreed upon by a majority of the community, is it cannon where everyone has to RP the affects, or do some people have the chance to ignore it still if they do not agree with it? Or, if it's been declared canon and they don't agree with it, do they have to RP the effects but dulled (such as the European Holocaust)?

Discuss. ReadySetGo.

I say before ANYTHING happens, it should be agreed upon by the community. If the community opposes it, then it won't happen or it will just be non-canon. Simple as that. Nations that are out of the disaster's range (like your example, a tsunami in N.A) do not need to RP but are encouraged to give aid and at least recognize that it happened.

I don't think that there should be cataclysmic events that should force a RPer to RP the effects of it if they do not want to. If someone wants to RP a cataclysmic event, it should affect their nation only (and if those around him wanna join in, them to) and the world could choose to step in to help stop it. This way no one is forced to RP damages of something they did not want to be involved with in the first place.

Yes, cataclysmic events should happen.

If the people that would be directly affected by it can agree on the effects and other details, then it should be declared canon. Simple as that, and once it is started, there is no backing out, unless something totally unrealistic or just plain ridiculous is brought into play. World Cataclysms are already declared non-canon, as per a Mod ruling on an earlier issue.

CANON

WITH ONE N

YOU SHOOT THINGS OUT OF A CANNON

/fake grammar rage

seriously, though, cataclysms are ridiculous - but only those that affect surrounding nations. if I want to RP a goddamn hurricane I will, thank you, but you don't have to RP any effects

CANON

WITH ONE N

YOU SHOOT THINGS OUT OF A CANNON

/fake grammar rage

seriously, though, cataclysms are ridiculous - but only those that affect surrounding nations. if I want to RP a goddamn hurricane I will, thank you, but you don't have to RP any effects

I spelled it right once... out of three times. lol.

I spelled it right once... out of three times. lol.

*Puts on teacher's spectacles* Sorry, but you have failed your spelling test. You'll have to study for a week and come back to re-take it.

----

Sorry, couldn't resist. Please know that I mean no harm by this little joke... :ph34r:

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

So long as the party involved actually agrees to the event happening; using our current scenario here, MV has no powers to summon a meteor (lol)... he's just saying there's one coming. So, if he says "LOL ITS GUNNA FALL ON VINILAND", it's not happening unless I agree to participate. But if I agree to it, then yeah, there's a meteor on my way.

From previous RP experience (in as much as I'd love to cause world wide disasters every five days...) I think that world-wide disasters should be allowed to happen but their declaration should require GM approval or be implemented by a GM and if there is a large controversy over the event it should be modified to avoid biasing the global disaster for selectively devastating a certain group or nation. No wrath of god-Gm stuff.

I was going to make a thread about this today, but I was busy with other events. My thread was to do more-so with major negative events, rather than with end-of-the-world kind. In my opinion, there should be no major world-ending events that should happen, unless every single person affected agree's on it; every single one. But if its an event that in reality could destroy the world, but in RP it won't but rather be saved then it should be allowed. There was no real thread needed to discuss this. It is a trivial matter. However, a more important thing to talk about is planning out major events (not world-ending cataclysmic events that affected players do not want to happen).

I've got two things to say.

-In the end, a roleplay is a roleplay. We roleplay for the sake of having fun roleplaying. Thus, to force a roleplay onto someone without their prior consent (and especially if they are against the event) ruins the fun of roleplay. We must remember that fact, that we are here to have fun. Not to force our "opinion of fun" onto others.

-We must plan more major events. Most events happen upon our own wims at that time, and eventually tire of it and stop that roleplay. I have nothing against this (and is perfect for building something like a wonder), but honestly it would be more fun if we planned major events that effect us as a whole. I know that there are some of you that plan everything (some of you may even have an entire year planned ahead of you), sometimes with others, but a great event where we work as a whole to accomplish something...tis' an awesome thing. By major events, I do not necessary mean epic wars or zombie infestations, but rather hurricanes, projects of epic porportions, disease & virus attacks, and more.

It would be easy to make a special thread for this kind of thing, an "Epic Events" thread. There groups of players can OOCly decide major events that will effect themselves and others that "ok" it. For example, lets say somoene comes up with the brilliant idea for a hurricane to strike the caribbean. Then the nations near the caribbean will decide if they will take part in it, when it will happen, who it will strike, etc. untill they are set & the predetermined date has arrived. This would be very useful indeed for those of us with the summer off and wanting to have an "Epic" roleplay that surmounts to something. In a way, the zombies in Diberia (and at one point in the Imperium of Man/America) was like this, with a zombie RP thread (at one point) making the 31 page mark.

To sum my points up: never force RP's upon players, remember that we are here to have fun, and we will have more fun with Epic Roleplay's.

I think it really depends on the nature of the cataclismic event. An event like an asteroid hitting the earth should have community approval and individual approval by the nations it effects; as we are more or less willing it into existence. However an event caused by a war; like say a massive nuclear holocaust and subsequent nuclear winter, or the space elevator being detached from its wire and the wire wrapping itself around the earth several times causing multiple megaton sized explosive forces everywhere it hit; shouldn't require approval as they were logical RP's that didn't require god moding (like the effects from a war).

or the space elevator being detached from its wire and the wire wrapping itself around the earth several times causing multiple megaton sized explosive forces everywhere it hit

Most of the cable would burn up in the atmosphere. I estimate less than 20-60 kilometers of cable would survive.

You know I tried a doomsday MAD device once :awesome: It got retconned because when Triyun tried to nuke it it just meant that it was still going to blow up. "Hey! lets nuke the thing meant to go off because of a nuclear attack!"

So even a lateral act of war still gets complained about ;\

I think it really depends on the nature of the cataclismic event. An event like an asteroid hitting the earth should have community approval and individual approval by the nations it effects; as we are more or less willing it into existence. However an event caused by a war; like say a massive nuclear holocaust and subsequent nuclear winter, or the space elevator being detached from its wire and the wire wrapping itself around the earth several times causing multiple megaton sized explosive forces everywhere it hit; shouldn't require approval as they were logical RP's that didn't require god moding (like the effects from a war).

But then that would directly effect other RP'ers that do not wish to be a part of that war whatsoever; or perhaps a locked nation would be in the path of the space elevator cable.

And Lynneth, if its all going to burn up than what about space junk? It would be more than likely for space junk to have hit it by now; if it cannot survive heat then I don't think it can survive space junk that well. (*I don't know much about space elevators, so enlighten me if I'm wrong)

And Lynneth, if its all going to burn up than what about space junk? It would be more than likely for space junk to have hit it by now; if it cannot survive heat then I don't think it can survive space junk that well. (*I don't know much about space elevators, so enlighten me if I'm wrong)

Burning up in the atmosphere by falling at an acceleration of roughly 9.81 m/s² and achieving speeds numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands of km/h is completely different from being hit by some silly and mostly very small spacejunk that can be repelled rather easily with various things such as light lasers, shielding (not the energy-kind. Shielding like used in nuclear reactors, etc), regular trips by both shuttles and the gondolas, et cetera.

Also, afaik, most responsible space agencies etc keep records on the course of their satellites. Even then, do we really know if the junk in CNRP is as bad as in RL?

I'm the first person here in CNRP (to my knowledge) to do serious space-RPs.

Edit: Idea! Someone RP a cleaning operation of earth's orbit. Get the debris and recycle it in Space or on Earth!

Edited by Lynneth