The Show Must Go On

Paradigm

Day 2 - "leaving safety"

2mcw2lh.jpg

So I was sitting there earlier this evening - watching the Alliance Announcements channels "april fools festivities" when it hit me.

24uvzgy.jpg

I mean look. Really step back and look at what we have all created over the last 3+ years out of nothing.

Some may only see a fractured world of barb wire slowly withering under the dark blue pacifican sky.

a1tno2.jpg

Others may see something else entirely different, but equally frightening to them.

2rymvyq.jpg

When looking across Planet Bob one is left to wonder about the tangled web that was conceived

30hv32b.jpg

If you really get down close...And look at the state of paralysis this leaves the political world, you really have to wonder....

51ouf6.jpg

Is this the same political landscape we have to continue pursuing expecting a different result?

20741s7.jpg

Which leaves me to ask you - is this not the definition of insanity?

245lsn6.jpg

I appreciate your time, and really must be going myself, but will return for tomorrow evenings show as scheduled.

The show must go on.

Goodnight

Did you see the frightened ones?

Did you hear the falling bombs?

Did you ever wonder why we

Had to run for shelter when the

Promise of a brave, new world

Unfurled beneath the clear blue pacifican sky?

Edited by Paradigm

I mean look. Really step back and look at what we have all created over the last 3+ years out of nothing.

I do find it interesting the complex histories and relationships formed between many alliances and individuals over the years, although the current structure of the treaty web does tend to keep alliances locked in place regardless of their feelings on a specific incident, often forcing them into action on a side they don't believe in or kept from helping an alliance they want to help.

When looking across Planet Bob one is left to wonder about the tangled web that was conceived

Many of the common norms and expected attitudes on how alliances should behave I think is largely how the treaty web ended up as is. It is expected of alliances to stay out of wars unless they have a treaty commitment to bring them into it. This results in alliances signing a lot of treaties just to make sure they have the ability to move if another alliance ends up at war and to allow the other alliance to move in their defense as well. If an alliance jumps into a war on the winning side with a treaty they are hailed as doing the right thing by honoring a treaty regardless of people's feelings on the war. If someone jumps into the war on the winning side without a treaty they are called a bandwaggoner and trolled extra much. Also those who enter on the losing side without a treaty to pull them in are often times called rogues, opportunists, and bandwaggoners by the winners who will likely be extra hard on them for not minding their own business. If an alliance enters on the losing side with a treaty pulling them in they at least get good PR for honoring their treaty despite the hopeless odds, and the winners might have more sympathy and let them get peace eventually easier.

As some alliances start signing a lot of treaties to make sure they are able to get involved if wars erupts or to prevent themselves from being in a position to lose, this then causes others to sign a larger amount of treaties to keep up and make sure they don't get isolated and destroyed. Now its gotten to the point where most alliances are either so tangled in the MDP web their movement is hindered from doing what they believe right in many situations, or isolated so in any war they would end up with almost everyone against them. The system is self worsening because it pressures more alliances to get tangled in the MDP web for protection.

I don't really see a solution to the MDP web issue unless a lot of attitudes changed on when its alright to go with what you believe to be right rather than looking over their treaties to try figuring out what to do if they should do anything. The most proven method of both having the ability to initiate aggressive action against another alliance successfully and be well defended if attacked is to sign a large amount of treaties with the larger and well connected alliances, so most people aren't going try something new or come up with something better even if they do want to try something different.

Is this the same political landscape we have to continue pursuing expecting a different result?

Which leaves me to ask you - is this not the definition of insanity?

It is insanity if people try the same thing expecting different results, but I think most alliances either get what they are expecting or pretty close to it. Most alliances aren't trying to change the political landscape, they are looking out for the security of their members and allies. No single alliance has the ability to end the MDP web situation even if they wanted to.

Didn't really have any alliances in mind as I typed this, just my analysis on the overall situation. :P

Edited by Methrage

Fantastic addition sir Methrage. You bring complete thoughts to page on subjects where I can only attempt to stumble over and get lost on a tangent.

I may be relatively content with the political landscape, but man, that was an *awesome* presentation. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm a Floyd fangirl or what, but definitely gets high marks ;)

IC

i2ovw2.jpg

OOC

Why thank you - its takes a lot of work to make these threads believe it or not. As simple as they look.

All I'm really trying to do is:

1) make the game fun for ME again

2) carve a niche where I can continue voiceing my characters views in a manner on the forums I never attempted at this level.

3) create something others might enjoy looking at

4) all while at the same time trying to create threads that further dialog lacking on the forums for years now.

I fully expect my little experiment to be an epic failure - but I'm ok with that as responses like yours, and the PM's Ive received so far have already made it worth it.

Edited by Paradigm

The main problem with the web is how small the criteria for signing a treaty with an alliance is for some people. For a lot, getting along with a single gov member from the other alliance is enough of a reason to sign, with very little thought into how compatible the two alliances are, or how well they fit in with other allies or whether you would actually want to defend them in a war. Infact its pretty clear some alliances have signed MDPs with alliances they probably don't even like.

Luckily in the current climate alliances are having to choose allies a little more carefully, hopefully this sticks in the long term and we don't go back to everyone signing MDPs with anything that has a pulse.

I can't wait for the epic mind-numbing (haha get it?) guitar solo.

Ha - as you can see I'm taking a little liberty with the order.

Tonights series is actually a brutal examination of the EZI-PZI subject titled:

The Trial

EZI/PZI and keeping people as pets

I am glad you have found yourself a little niche in which you can enjoy yourself paradigm. I think everyone should have such a niche, though, sadly, I believe that only a few of us have truly found it. I like to include myself in that small group, though maybe not.

You should keep doing these threads. No matter what people say. Do your own thing because there are people who will whine and cry, but they would anyway, and nothing you do will change that.

It is worth it.

That's just my opinion though, and what do I know? I'm just some idiot on a computer somewhere. :)

Come back.

This thread and the future ones are perfectly fine and enjoyable to read.

I appreciate the sentiment more than you know. But in the end..the risk is not fair to Vanguard or its allies, none of whom played any role in what I started here. This way I alone will deal with the ramifications should they arise when the WORMS come knocking.

I appreciate the sentiment more than you know. But in the end..the risk is not fair to Vanguard or its allies, none of whom played any role in what I started here. This way I alone will deal with the ramifications should they arise when the WORMS come knocking.

If Pink Floyd leads to us dying, then it shall be a glorious death. :D