Norway-Sweden News, Developments and Movements

Il Terra Di Agea

Classified: Security 8

Future Combat Systems: Update

Progress:

Badger 2: Chassis finalized and functional. Turret remains under construction. Deadline for completed Gun design in Two Weeks

Baron Class Destroyer: Hull finished ad tested. Completion date: 5 months, likely reduced to 3 with minor changes to be used should situation in Spain escalate

Classified: Security 9

Norway is on military alert, and Defcon has been raised to 3

---Strategic bombers have been placed in the air a precaution

------They are to stay airborne twenty four hours at a time, leaving 30 in the air at a time

---------15 TU95s, 15 Tu-22Ms

-------------All are loaded with standard Passive Biological Denial Package

---9K37 Buk anti-air missiles systems are being activated and stocked for Anti Air use and as supplement to the Stationary Skysweeper AA guns

--- 50,000 soldiers have been mobilized and put into planes to be dropped on enemy land should it be needed

---Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles have been armed, and are prepared to receive launch codes should the need arise

------Standard explosives are being aimed at the outsides of urban areas to eliminate fortifications, and where applicable, block off all bridges, or damns that could make travel easy within the enemy nations

------Biological weapons have not received call codes, nor have Nuclear weapons

---Wired communication lines are set, no changes have been recognized by public systems

---Over the Horizon radar stations are being activated nation wide

--- 1000 tanks have been mobilized and prepared for transport

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: God, it's been a while since I last posted. Better fix that.

[font="Courier New"][color="#FF0000"][size="4"]Classified: Security 8[/size][/color]
[i]Future Combat Systems: Update[/i]

[b]Lab 402b[/b]
"So, this will work, right?"
"Well, the capacitors are still a bit dodgy. R&D was working on them, they say that they [i]should[/i] be good."
"'Should be' they will work, they just haven't gone through all their testing, or 'Should be' they will definitely fail and kill us all but they don't want to admit it?"
"Ehh... Probably the first one..."
"Alrighty then, I'm going to go and stand in the back... and start praying or something."
"... Test Thirty Four, starting in five... Four... Three... Two... One!"
Behind a sheet of thick safety glass, the large machine began to let out a faint hum. The barrel at the end wobbled a bit before the green light went off atop it. With a mechanical groan, the first shot slowly slid out of the barrel, and got stuck.
"Am I dead?"
"No... The round never left the barrel."
"That's goo-"
The sound of grinding gears cut him off. The round, left hanging just inches outside of the barrel began to vibrate, before shooting backwards into the firing apparatus. With a loud crack, the barrel shattered, leaving electricity to arc across the lab. A puff of blue smoke shot out of the failed rail gun.
"I take it back, that wasn't good."
"No... it wasn't."
"At least it looked cool..."
"Yah..."
The gun began to shake violently before ripping in two, and flying across the lab.
"Alright... I think we are done here."
[b]Rail Gun for Badger 2 Tank: [color="#FF0000"]PROJECT ENDED, FAILURE[/color][/b][/font]
[i]
Baron Class Destroyer: [b][color="#FF0000"]Completed[/color][/b][/i]
[url=http://f.imagehost.org/view/0424/Baron_Class_Destroyer_Schematics_uPDATED][img]http://f.imagehost.org/t/0424/Baron_Class_Destroyer_Schematics_uPDATED.jpg[/img][/url]

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: Just going to make this note here; Sorry about my inactivity of late, I've been busy with a project these past weeks, and it has cut into my free-time quite a bit. Now, for something I should have started a month ago:

IC:
[size="4"]SPA Finishes Flurry of Meetings[/size]
Over the past weeks, as many know, the SPA has been working tirelessly toward the reconstruction of the Swedish government, a task more daunting then they once expected. The Rosersberg Palace, the current meeting place for both the SPA and the Norwegian Government, has been abuzz with activity, following the announcement of a new aide package geared toward speeding up the reconstruction of homes and offices in Stockholm, where they were greatly damaged in the crossfire of two years worth of combat. The meetings thus far, have yielded massive results. Local governors have began to replace the military installed peace keepers, food and water have been delivered across the fallen country, and, by some regards the most important decision by the SPA, the election of Lena Dahlberg, adviser to the late King of Sverige, as speaker and head of the SPA. The election was applauded by the Norwegian government, who have been pushing for a more stable government system over the Occupation zone.

• 1 month later...

[size="4"]SPA Meeting Put on Hold With Four High Ranking Members Ill[/size]
With spring coming to Norway and Sweden, and the deadline to re-establish a Swedish government soon approaching, four members of the SPA called in sick for the meeting today: Among them, King Heimdall, Markus Eklund, Abdullahi Johansson and SPA Chairwoman Dahlberg. The sickness has been described by Prime Minister Ben Hermansson as "A bit of nausea, light-headedness, runny nose, just a bit of the flu. The King at least will be back at 100% by Friday." Several Authority Members have postulated that this is not, in fact, a simple sickness, but a private attempt by authority leaders to hash out an agreement. Kalle Jonasson, former factory owner and board member has stated that, in fact, "This is all a damned threat. The Norwegians are moving to annex, and are giving us Swedes one last chance to pay them off before the tanks roll!"
Other speculation to a possible conspiracy has come from across Norway and the Occupied Zone. One particularly interesting theory comes from Nathanael Nyman, a man made famous for his aide to the revolutionary movement during Norway's own civil war. In an interview, he stated that "Dayus, a close freind of mine, has held Gustaf Dahlberg, another good freind of mine, now dead for... well... quite a while, in high regard. The man died spreading Heimdall's message for change. Now the guy's sister is spending time with him, has anyone ever thought to think that they're visiting his memorial? Sometimes too much exposure to the press and to governments is a bad thing, maybe they just want to remember their freind?"
In the mean time, the meeting has been rescheduled for next Monday.

OOC: Rawrg, been inactive

[font="Courier New"][color="#FF0000"][size=4]Classified: Security 8[/size][/color]
[b]Finalized Designs For Badger 2 Completed:[/b]
[url=http://j.imagehost.org/view/0287/Badger_2_Full_schematic_and_info_sheet][img]http://j.imagehost.org/t/0287/Badger_2_Full_schematic_and_info_sheet.jpg[/img][/url]
Construction to Begin Immediately
All Badger 1 tanks still in storage are to be sent to Norwegian Military Command Salvage, to be scrapped for parts. All in military use have three months to be pulled from duty. All in use in Training facilities will remain active until deemed inoperable, due to extended use for tank training, or after use for long range target practice ans missile tests.
[/font]

[b][size="4"]POLITIKPOSTEN: Special Report[/size][/b]
New Sources say that Illness is a cover for [b]a secret affair between The King and SPA Chairwoman.[/b]
Remember, you heard it here first, our source in the GDR has given us unique information, stating that the pair have taken to a secluded rental home in the Swiss Alps to partake in obvious and blatant sexual deviancy.
After weeks of intense study, following after the two, we decided to approach the Prime Minister, Ben Hermansson, about the situation.
Politikposten: What do you know about the affair between the SPA Chairwoman and the King?
PM Hermansson: What?

Almost a flat out admission of guilt toward helping the two move forward, wasting Norwegian Tax dollars to afford their illicit actions, but it does not stop there.

Politikposten: So, you are aware of the illicit goings-on on the SPA board?
PM Hermansson: No? What... What are you talking about? What sort of moron told you that?
Politikposten: You understand we must keep our source's confidentiality, we can't have a repeat of the incident at the old Aftenposten headquarters.
PM Hermansson: Back during the civil war?
PolitikPosten: Yes, when the government murdered the brave souls who spoke out against it.
PM Hermansson: ... Those were our guys in there...
Politikposten: So you admit that you would repeat that same tactic if the information about the affair were to be released?
PM Hermansson: No. It was PROGRESSIVES in the Aftenposten Headquarters... Speaking FOR our cause. I have a framed copy of their first brochure in my office. We got the loss there, not the old government...
Politikposten: Are you threatening me, Mr. Hermansson?
PM Hermansson: No!I'm trying to say that you have no clue what you're talking about. The Progressives that died there were one and the same with the ones who took over. The ones who are in power now. Us.
Politikposten: Exactly! You murdered the competition to take over!
PM Hermansson, a look of murderous mirth growing in his eyes: That's absurd! We brought the country back out of the gutter after that civil war. We're not some sort of demons as you keep trying to insinuate. Now, would you please leave.

Truly a deep look into the dark soul of our Prime minister; But more importantly, how are we, citizens of Norway, supposed to believe this man? If he cannot be honest about some of our own history, how can he be trusted in regards to a delicate issue like the sexual conduct, lies and deceit of other government members? Surly, it is impossible.

OOC: Woo, tabloids are fun to write.

[font="Courier New"][color="#FF0000"][size=4]Classified: Security 18[/size][/color]
[size=3][b]Project: ARROW[/b][/size]
[b]Project Log: Dr. Matteo Lundqvist[/b]
The new labs in Northport are taking some getting used to, but all in all, I'm enjoying the new accommodations, beats the old basement lab in the university, except for the hordes of subjects who will jump on for testing for a few kroner. Part one of the project is underway; The other researchers have found several new drugs for testing, and I feel that the chose the right man for the job. As soon as they haul in the equipment, I will start the usual process, let the subject have their way with one of the usual simulations, and work from there. I worry though, the goals for the project seem rather... high. Implanting a suggestion or getting a straight answer out of a criminal is one thing, but this... this all seems a bit rough, treading into some murky scientific, let alone moral, territory.
Anyway... previous research allows me to move away from the cliche tactics; psychoactive drugs are out, while a wide variety of new chemical compounds are in, most of them I've never even heard of myself, but seem to be the ideal jumping point for the study. Even failing that, my old theory on controlled psychoactives could come in handy.
But until I can get some damned equipment, I'm crippled, can't move forward at all.
[/font]

OOC: Woo, shady scientists and psychoactive drugs. This can only end well :awesome:

• 3 weeks later...

[size="4"]POLITIKPOSTEN: Special Report[/size]
[size="3"]SHOCKING NEW EVIDENCE INTO THE RECENT COLLAPSE SEVERAL EUROPEAN STATES[/size]
First the RSSN, then Conti, and now Sweden, all collapsed as a massive war wages in the Americas. In less than a week, the map of Europe has rapidly and shockingly changed, but it has left many intellectuals wondering, why? Sure, these things happen, and in tremulous times such as these, countries have to prove themselves powerful and stable, but that's the sort of answer tossed out by the government when they know more. These aren't some simple collapses, this is part of something bigger. The Alien Jewluminati.
You heard it here first, Alien Jews have been influencing national governments, forcing them into collapse to ensure that their bastion of power, Tahoe, can remain in power. How can they be effecting entire nations you ask? Satellite operated Mind cannons. Orbiting around the planet, Twenty-four seven, they beam microwave radiation into our minds, forcing our hands to do their dirty work, whether it be in the ballot box, or in war, they try to force their signals into our minds. Now, they've realized that they can't stay that passive; For now, they will stick to collapsing nations en masse, but soon... Soon they will excise their real goal, Total Global Domination under a JEWISH ALIEN DICTATORSHIP!
Don't believe the state news sources, don't believe the international post, they're all too scared, or too tight under the Alien stranglehold to speak up. These Alien Jews are in our governments, in our cities, in our neighborhoods, and maybe even IN OUR OWN HOMES. There is no escape except knowledge. Their only weakness is our realization that they are here, and that they are trying to force us against each other.
RISE UP AGAINST THE ALIEN JEWLUMINATI CONSPIRACY PEOPLE! BEFORE IT'S TO LATE!
Today it's Sweden, Tomorrow, it could be Norway!

OOC: I could not help myself

[size="4"]Swedish Unity Bill Raised Before SPA[/size]
The Controversial Swedish Unity Bill moved before the SPA today amid much fanfare and protest. The Bill, which calls for a Norwegian Annexation of Sweden, was brought forth by Conservative Didrik Botner, two-time member of Parliament, and strong proponent of Swedish Annexation since the end of the war.
The bill calls for the immediate annexation of the Swedish protectorate, the elimination of the Swedish Provisional Authority, and an immediate takeover of all Swedish industries by the Norwegian Government to be reestablished after economic recovery has commenced.
The bill has yet to draw much support from the SPA, but it has gained some support from Norwegian Conservatives, members of the Nordlandic Party, and oddly enough, The Pants for Great Justice Society.
However unlikely it is that the bill will pass, many Norwegians and Swedes have remarked that it is shows the constantly falling confidence that a Swedish state viable in the modern age.

[b][size="4"]The Fate of Sweden: [i]Special Report[/i][/size][/b]
[size="4"]New Aftenposten Poll Shows Majority of Swedes in Favor of Some Sort of Union With Norway[/size]
A new poll, conducted by the Aftenposten, has shown today that the majority of Swedish Citizens are in Favor of fostering tight bonds with Norway. The poll indicated that 52 percent of Swedes are in favor of a total Union, wherein Sweden retains some semblance of Sovereignty within the United nation. Below Favor for a Union, was favor for independence, but continued ties with Norway, which pulled in a strong 23 percent. Below both were Total Annexation, and Independence and severing all ties with Norway, both of which scored ten percent. Carrying the rear was being split up between Norway, Denmark and North Germany, with 1 percent. Four percent were undecided on the issue.
A similar survey throughout Norway, showed similar results, with 56 percent favoring a Union with a semi-sovereign Sweden, 32 percent favoring Swedish independence, 8 percent favoring total annexation, and four percent undecided.
Political Scientist Dr. Erica Lind had this to say: "It is only natural at this point that the Swedish people would desire unity as they do. For years now, we have protected them, helped them regain their strength, and now, after the tragedy of seeing their government collapse once more, they are looking for stability, a government that they can trust, and thus far, the only one they have is Norway and the SPA."
Speculation is high that this poll is only the first in a series of examples that Unity between Norway and Sweden is Forthcoming, but as of yet, the Swedish Provisional Authority has had no comment.

[b][size="4"]The Fate of Sweden:[i] Special Report[/i][/size][/b]
[size="4"]Movement for an Independent Sweden Takes Heavy Blow[/size]
The Supporters of a fully independent Swedish state took a massive loss today when SPA member Markus Eklund, a long time proponent of a free Swedish state stated that he was "beginning to lose hope in the prospect."
Immediately following the statement, it is alleged, but not confirmed that he voted in favor of the upcoming United Kingdoms bill, another iteration of the Swedish Unity Bill raised two months ago. The new bill, unlike its predecessor, calls for a union between Norway and Sweden, rather than all-out annexation. The bill has made much headway over the course of the last month as increasing calls for stability in Sweden had to be made on deaf ears.
"I just want to know that my children won't have to grow up like this," Said Justin Svensson, a concerned Swedish citizen, "Last year, I had to take on a new job, and even with that, and the aid packages, I can barely afford to get by." Svensson, once an account for Saab, has been unable to go to work wit the factories still being forced to produce building material.
Should the United Kingdoms Bill pass, a much higher percentage of Norway's economy could be focused into the final stages of reconstruction in Sweden, as well as provide for the waning police force, and agriculture production.
The vote for the new bill is taking place behind closed doors due to the somewhat controversial nature of the proceedings, however all signs point to swift, and decisive passage.

[center][center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg/300px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Unionsgj%C3%B8s.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg/300px-Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg.png[/img][/center]
A middle aged, bespectacled man stepped up to the podium. His face, though uninteresting and bland, was instantly recognizable by almost all Swedes as Markus Eklund, one of the more prominent members of the SPA. He had a look of mild excitement on his face, as he took out a large packet of loose papers.
"Ladies and Gentlemen of Sweden. For far too long, we have lived in a state of political limbo; Neither free, nor totally controlled by another nation. We were unrepresented by a real government, with the exception of the organization provided by the Norwegians. Today, it is my duty to tell you that that part of our history is over. Tonight, as you all may well know, we voted on the United Kingdoms Bill, a bill that grew on me slowly, as the prospect of unity grew for all of you.
"As you may have guessed, that bill passed tonight, and..."
Mr. Eklund was cut off by a wave of cheering, he chuckled and leaned back as the noise died down.
"Yes, it is certainly exciting. As I was about to say, we also began to push forward the next parts of the bill, namely, the decision for the appointment of a King and Prime Minister. I am once again, proud to say that I was chosen, and have subsequently accepted my election to King of Sweden, as has Lena Dahlberg the position of Prime Minister."
Another wave of applause swept over the crowd.
"Now, I won't lie to you all, the next few months may be wrought with hardship, but I can ensure you all that it will be worth it. Tomorrow, Ms. Dahlberg will appoint her ministers, and the elections for our representatives on the Storting will begin. At the same time, our countrymen in Norway will begin a massive rebuilding campaign to finish reconstruction. In the next years, Sweden will be returned to its former glory, a bastion of stability and might in Europe. We will rebuild, and we will Prevail once more!"[/center]

[font="Courier New"][center][color="#FF0000"][size="4"]Classified: Security 8[/size][/color]
[b]--< Initiative to Expand Defenses into the Baltic Sea >--[/b]
Effective immediately, Army engineers are to expand the National sea defense system into the Baltic.
Despite the lack of prevalent enemies on the sea, it is paramount to continue the system of defenses and ensure national security regardless.
The system shall be similar to those on the Atlantic coast, consisting of 6 in cannons, anti-ship missile bunkers, Czech hedgehogs and mines in storage, and an anti-air missile network.

[b]--< Badger 2 Main Battle Tank: Progress >--[/b]
-30mm grenade launcher and .50 calibre guns added into the coaxial position-
-Added armor to turret for added protection-
-Projected time of release: June

[b]--< Ballistic Missile Research: Codename: Hammer >--[/b]
Starting immediately, research shall begin on a "super-heavy" ballistic missile system. Intended to be a nuclear MIRV, that will reacquire its target once in low Earth orbit to ensure a higher success rate.
Further information will be released when available[/center][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

[font="Courier New"][center][color="#FF0000"][size="4"]Classified: Security 8[/size][/color]
-Position of turret moved back on chassis by 17 cm to accommodate a slightly lengthened barrel-
-Batteries have been added to the turret to accommodate for the ETC gun's rather large power needs-
-Projected time of release: Remains on schedule despite some major engineering changes, June

Hammer missile shall be comprised of a central Tungsten rod allowing a valuable ability to penetrate deeps bunkers and fortifications. Additionally, the current schematics allot for 12 independently re-entering warheads, of either conventional, chemical, biological, or nuclear nature, likely a mixture of conventional and specialized will be use as a defense against increasingly powerful anti-missile systems. The missile shall be notably larger than standard ballistic missile, a fact that has been taken into great account, but has been deemed necessary for the desired impact. The cost per missile will be massive, however the strategic importance makes it a worthwhile investment. Production shall begin this month, both on the missiles and the launch platforms necessary to facilitate them.

[b]--< Testing for New Armored Personnel Carrier >--[/b]
Though the Doubglehorne has served the nation well since its inception, it has become dangerously obsolete. As such we have called for the independent military engineering firms of the nation to produce new prototypes to be taken on as the new APC. Already, we have received word of two such prototypes in production; an unnamed model from Volvo, and a direct successor to the current model from ADI called the... Twobglehorne. Both should be operational by the end of the week, and will be tested both in the mountains, and briefly for transportation in Belarus.[/center][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

[size="4"]New Swedish Parliament Elected[/size]
Today, the final poll has been tallied, and a new Parliament has been elected by the Swedish Peoples. The new parliament, which will represent the Swedish people, was signed into power by King Markus Eklund this morning in the former headquarters of the Riksdag, the Swedish equivalent to the Norwegian Storting. The break-up, as decided by the election, is seen below:

Progressive Party: 98 Seats
Moderate Party: 28 Seats
Socialist Party: 20 Seats
Swedish Conservative Party: 14 Seats
Noocratic Party: 12 Seats
Green Party: 8 Seats
Communist Party: 8 Seats
Fascist Party: 4 Seats
Swedish National Party: 4 Seats
Utopian Party: 4 Seats

These newly elected representatives bring the National, 400 seat Parliament breakup to the below:

Progressive Party : 148 seats
Norwegian Conservative Party : 74 seats
Socialist Party: 36 seats
Moderate Party: 28 Seats
Green Party : 27 seats
Noocratic Party : 19 seats
Fascist Party: 16 seats
Swedish Conservative Party: 14 Seats
Communist Party: 10 seats
Nordlandic Party: 8 seats
Utopian Party: 7 seats
Greater Norwegian Party : 5 seats
Swedish National Party: 4 Seats
Pants for Great Justice Society: 2 seats
Glowing Green Party (New name for F*** Nature Party): 2 seats

-Initial testing has begun for the active defenses. Thus-far, they are proving to be a valuable resource in addition to the tank's armor. Testing shows a nearly 100% success rate in destroying incoming RPGs and guided missiles, as well as a 35% chance to eliminate incoming KE penetraters. The success rate should increase as the tank reaches completion-
-Batteries have been re-mounted in the turret, following some stress testing concerns. In the final product, they will be more heavily armored, and built on a more heavy base-
-Projected time of release: Remains on schedule despite some major engineering changes, June
[/center][/font]

[b]--< Twobglehorne Armored Vehicle, Research into a Multi-Use Role >--[/b]
The Twobglehorne, though having only spent only a few weeks in testing has already proven itself to be a very valuable resource. Its stable chassis, light, but still relatively strong NERA/ Composite external armor, and its powerful engine has lended itself to a very capable APC; However, we feel that holding it to such a one sided roll would be a poor idea. Effective immediately, research shall begin on several alterations, to create a multi-use vehicle on the Twobglehorne's basic body. Already, extensive research for anti-missile, anti-armor, mortar-carrying and engineering vehicles have been being adapted for use in a different chassis. The APC variant is cleared for use as of today, the altered versions should be done before year's end.
[/center][/font]

[size="4"]Royal Navy Expands![/size]
For the first time in several years, the Royal Navy has expanded to accommodate four new Ships. The Four ships, a single Frigate, and three new Ballistic missile submarines has come as a sigh of relief, especially for the Swedish engineers who built them. The new submarines are to be named the KNM Stockholm, KNM Uppsala, and the KNM Trollhattan, while the new Frigate shall be named the KNM Odin.
[center][img]http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/2633/fridtjofnansen127fs.jpg[/img]
[i]The KNM Thor launches for the first time[/i][/center]
More important that the expansion in Naval might, is the impact this construction has had on the coastal communities that constructed them. "It's a real relief," Says KNM Odin construction foreman Arman Forsberg, "These old drydocks hadn't been touched in years, butt now, they've sprung back to life. It feels good to see people around here, and even better to finally have a stable job again." It is estimated that the construction of these three ships has given over 1000 people new jobs, as well as revitalized the mining, raw-material shipping, casting, and electronics industries in the surrounding areas. Luckily for the workers, new naval construction does not stop here; The government has already ordered several new attack submarines to accompany their larger, missile launching counterparts.

• 1 month later...

[b][i]Lake Vättern[/i][/b]

"You're not going to find anything," Dr. Holmberg chuckled, "That first ship was just a coincidence. The Vikings were smart enough not to pop a warship into a damned lake."
Dr. Arvidsson shook his head, "Last week a local, down in Gullspäng found a large piece of carved wood with wrought iron brackets, and I identified it. It was the rudder of a cog, but it was too old. Cogs only began to appear around 1000 AD, this rudder dated back to 700 AD." Arvidsson looked up from his papers, grinning wildly.
Holmberg sighed, "If anyone on the planet cared half as much about maritime history as you, I'm sure that would be a big deal..."
"You don't get it, do you? This ship dates to nearly 100 years before the Vikings were even around. The presence of such an advanced ship could indicate that contact with more advanced civilizations in the Germanic Iron Age! Imagine, a Roman Legion marching through Sweden, or a battleship stolen by ransacking Germanic tribes! And..." Arvidsson looked to the empty chair that Holmberg had been sitting in mere moments before, "Hey? Holmberg?"
Holmberg grunted from outside, as he let loose a torrent of vomit.
"Seasick, eh?" Arvidsson tried to hold back a laugh.
"No..." Holmberg said, his usual booming voice dimmed to a sickly murmur, "We're on a lake... moron."
Arvidsson didn't bother to hold back his laugh this time, "Well, try to keep it off the equipment, alright?"
Holmberg grunted once more as he slid down to a seated position, resting on the handrails on the side of the small vessel.
Arvidsson stepped back into the boat's cabin, and sat down. Still smiling, he looked over to the sonar monitor, and his jaw dropped.
"I've found it..."
[IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/FirstImagesofnewshipwreck.png[/IMG]
He hastily hit print, and, in a loud, shrill voice yelled "EUREKA!"

OOC: This is going to be part of an ongoing internal, probably Non-cannon (It should be, but I don't want to go out and declare it thus at the moment).

[b][i]Lake Vättern[/i][/b]
With a heavy splash, Arvidsson pushed the bright yellow ROV into the lake, as Holmberg steadied the cable.
"I can't believe it..." Holmberg muttered, "You really found something..."
Dr. Arvidsson laughed, and repositioned his thick glasses, "Told ya' so."
Dr. Holmberg halfheartedly feigned a laugh and leered at his peer as he walked into the cabin.
"ROV going online," Arvidsson announced as he took control of the rapidly sinking submersible, "Pulling up..."
The cable began to decelerate in Holmberg's hands.
"50 meters."
The screen showed a murky, blue-green abyss in all directions.
"100 meters."
The endless blue began to darken, and picked up a faint, brownish tinge.
"110 meters. Wreckage in sight."
Faintly, the image of a massive, wooded skeleton began to stick out from the darkness.
"And... we have the bow. It's in remarkable condition..."
"Of course it is," Holmberg yelled from the beck, "There aren't any big storms here, and the water's freezing year round. Nothing to break the thing down."
"There's intact pottery too, get in here."
Holmberg stood, and cracked his back as he gingerly stepped over the thick cord. As he entered the cabin, he leaned to see the monitor.
"Wow," He quietly exclaimed, "Damned good condition..."
[IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/FirstImagesofnewshipwrecktreasure2.png[/IMG]
"I know," Arvidsson replied, smiling, "Can't wait to get some of the folks from tthe university out here, they'll be amaz-"
Holmberg cut him off, "Go down, I think I saw something shimmer..."
"Where?"
"There!" Holmberg angrily tapped the screen.
"Oh..." Arvidsson still saw nothing, but maneuvered the ROV down a few more meters.
"There."
"Wait... is that?"
"Gold."
[IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/FirstImagesofnewshipwrecktreasure1.png[/IMG]
"I think I see more..." Arvidsson drove the ROV forward, another pile of coins began to stick out from the mud.
"Over there," Holmberg said, now smiling himself, "There's a figurine, I think."
The monitor showed not one, but several gilded figurines.
"Amazing..." Arvidsson murmured, "Simply amazing."
It seemed that the whole lake bed was glittering with ancient coins, artifacts and treasures. Holmberg and Arvidsson were both jittery with excitement.
"Arvidsson," Holmberg said, placing a hand on the man's shoulder, "We may have made the discovery of the decade."
"Decade?" Arvidsson smiled, "How about the century!"
They both laughed.
"Looks like your battery is dying," Holmberg interjected into the chorus of glee, "Better bring it up."
"Wait..." Arvidsson muttered, "We still have to check out that ring that we saw in the sonar image."
"With our luck today, it'll be solid gold."
Arvidsson paid no attention as he navigated the ROV away from the treasures on the lake bed. The murky water moved rapidly along the machine.
"I don't see it..." Arvidsson muttered as he checked the GPS, "It should be right here..."
Holmberg leaned over to the monitor, "What about that?"
Arvidsson looked down his friend's long, thin finger, and saw what seemed to be nothing but an outcropping of rocks. He went over anyway, just to check.
"Still don't..." Arvidsson began, "Wait... I think I see something..."
[IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/FirstImagesofnewshipwrecktreasure3.png[/IMG]
"What is it?" Holmberg inquired, inspecting the clearly man-made edges that jutted out from the rocks and mud.

"I... I don't know..." Arvidsson replied.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Uppsala University[/b]
[center][img]http://www.engelska.uu.se/library.jpg[/img][/center]
"I can't believe it..." Dr. Holmberg stated, flipping one of the hundreds of coins already brought up by the ROV in-between his fingers, "I quite simply cannot believe it."
"Put that down," Dr. Arvidsson mumbled, "We can't mess up the data..."
"Heh, we've got a few hundred of these, and it's not like they're a rare find..."
Arvidsson cut him off, "But on this magnitude, this far north? It's never been seen before!"
Holmberg looked away as he slowly placed the coin back down among the others.
After a long pause, Holmberg attempted to rekindle the conversation, "So, any luck with the ring yet?"
"No," Arvidsson replied, distracted, "It's unlike anything I've ever seen... The new radar scans we took aren't helping either, all I can tell is that it's a large, semi-metallic ring, spotted with Thirty six glyphs, and nine equally spaced triangular structures. The precision of the angles of the thing is amazing, everything I can see is perfectly laid out, perfectly spaced, at perfect angles. Each glyph is exactly ten degrees around the circle, every one of the triangles centered at Forty degrees. Never seen anything like it..."
"But nothing new?"
"No... We need to get some more funding, pull that ring up... to study it..." Arvidsson began to reach for the phone, but Holmberg slapped it away.
"No, we need to get it up, but no way in hell are we telling anyone about this."
"What?!" Arvidsson exclaimed, "How the hell do you expect us to get that thing out of the lake by our selves? Why the hell should we be so secretive?"
"Imagine this, we tell a few other people, we write up our data, they write up theirs. They publish their data first, and we lose out on the discovery of the decade. Poof, gone. We need to get this done, need to get this published, before we let anyone else in."
"You're crazy..." Arvidsson reached back for the phone.
"Dr. Baran Holmgren, 1976. Discovered evidence of interaction between Bronze Age Celtic and Nordic tribes. Dug up an entire village of Celtic artifacts in Norway. 1978, while ol' Dr. Holmgren is still writing about his findings, Dr. Zackarias Gustavsson publishes a paper on the same site, a bit hastily written, but still revolutionary to everyone except Holmgren."
Arvidsson lowered the phone.
"Who goes down being remembered? Zackarias Gustavsson."
Arvidssson removed his glasses, and began to rub them with the fabric of his shirt.
"I say," Holmberg continued, "We get no more people involved than necessary. At thee most, we get a few of our more promising students for the labour, and a few others we know we can trust to review out work after it's written. That's it. We do the rest of our work in secrecy. My cousin is in real estate, he can give us access to some work space, nothing we find comes here, we don't say a word around here, and we pay for everything out of pocket, or in ways we can cover up."
"I know I guy from an excavation I did in the Caribbean," Arvidsson sheepishly stated, "He can probably get us some air bags to lift the ring out."
"Great," Holmberg exclaimed, "See if he can't wrangle up some SCUBA gear, everything else we should be able to find or buy on the cheap. I'll talk to my cousin, get a work space freed up." Holmberg paused again, "Arvidsson?"
"Yah?"
"We're going to be the most renowned Archaeologists since Howard Carter."
"Except better," Arvidsson said, finally cracking a smile, "because we're doctors."

[b]One Month Later, Lake Vättern[/b]
"What do you mean 'I only got two suits'?!" Holmberg exclaimed, "How are we supposed to do this with only two people in the water?"
"You're lucky I got the two!" Arvidsson returned, "You know what I had to go through to get these? I had to go and convince a guy, who I haven't talked to since March, 1998, to give me Six Thousand bloody Kroner worth of equipment using only 'Next time I get a job, and have some money, you'll be the first person I call!' as a reason for his help! And did I mention the language barrier?!"
Holmberg sighed as a group of grad students peaked away from their jobs to see the argument.
"The man doesn't speak a word of Swedish, and you know well that I don't speak a word of Spanish. So there we were, yelling at each other, can't make heads or tails of each others accents. The man sounds like a bloody Drunken Mexican pirate, which doesn't even seem fair to say because he is one!"
Holmberg smiled, "And I'm sure he's yelling the same thing at his own devilishly handsome best friend, only replacing 'Drunken Mexican pirate' with 'Brainiac Swede with a stick so far up his $@! that it comes out the top of his head.'"
Arvidsson grumbled, "Anyway, you'll need to go down, I couldn't get the mask to fit over my glasses, and I can't see a thing without them."
Holmberg winced, "Really... I have to go... Down... there?"
"Yes... Don't worry, it's perfectly safe, you did the training with me back in 2005 for that excavation in the Caspian, this isn't any different. Plus, I'll have the ROV down there the whole time to comfort you."
Holmberg looked over at the dead, blank stare of the lobster-esque monstrosity that Arvidsson was so attached to. "That doesn't help..."
"Amela," Arvidsson rapidly addressed a student near the bow of the vessel, "You said that you were certified for SCUBA, correct?"
"Yes Doctor," She affirmed, "Made sure I was still certified just last week."
"Great, suit up in the cabin, you'll be helping Dr. Holmberg in the water."
Arvidsson walked away before she could respond, "Hadi, Alfred, get the ROV in the water, make sure to lower it carefully, we've only got one of those."
"Yes Doctor Arvidsson," Hadi promptly replied.
Arvidsson stepped into the cabin, and slumped down into his computer chair, just in to to see the camera feed on the screen violently shake. "I said BE CAREFUL WITH THE ROV!" Arvidsson barked out to the deck.
"I'm ready yo go Doctor," Amela said, stepping out from the below deck, "Doctor Holmberg is... Eh... Throwing up down there..."
"He does that some times," Arvidsson tiredly replied, "He'll be fine once he's emptied out."
Amela smiled awkwardly, but said nothing.
"Oh, go and grab the flotation bags, they should be individually boxed with their air tanks. We should only need three or four to get the thing out of the water."
She nodded and stepped out. The muffled sound of Holmberg's groans faintly cried out from below deck.
"I'm ready..." Holmberg said, still a bit green, "There's no way I can have anything else to throw up..."
"It'll be better once you get in the water... You should really look into getting some of those seasickness pills."
"It's not the sea, it's a lake."
"Shut up."
Holmberg stepped out of the cabin, and stood beside Amela as he fastened his helmet.
"You two ready to go?" Arvidsson said over the intercom.
Both gave a thumbs up.
"Good, get going then."
Holmberg and Amela both slid into the water; Amela with a touch of grace, Holmberg with all the grace of an unwanted dead fish being kicked under the rails. The two adjusted their weights, and began their decent. Almost immediately, they found the ROV, floating, in wait, for their arrival.
"I see you..." Arvidsson whispered over the intercom. Holmberg twitched noticeably in surprise.
"Get going, I'll follow behind."
Amela nodded as Holmberg cringed once more. The two swam further down, with the ROV in pursuit. As they neared the bottom, the daylight from above faded into a murky green, and then to near blackness. Holmberg flipped on his light and Amela followed suit. They swan the last meters down to the bottom, and then allowed Arvidsson to guide them with the ROV to the ring. The light of the submersible dimmed as it raced ahead with little care that the two divers were behind. Arvidsson had no clue that he was going faster than his followers. Finally, the ROV stopped and spun around.
"We're here," Arvidsson stated, "Get working."
Holmberg rolled his eyes as he grabbed the small pick axe from his belt. The two divers promptly began to dig away the silt that had settled since the last clearing. In the previous week, Arvidsson had managed to clear out most of the debris, rocks, and plant life using a combination of the ROV, and a device not entirely dissimilar to the crane game that swindled away so many øre from children who believed the machine to be simplistic. He was remarkable at it, not that Holmberg would say it to his friend's face. It took only a few minutes to clear the area, and begin attaching the flotation bags. With long, twisting motions, they twisted the thick ropes around the ring, and used carabiners to close the loops. Holmberg swan over to the ROV and waved.
"Roped attached?" Arvidsson inquired.
Holmberg gave a thumbs up.
"Great! Pull the gas releases and send that baby up."
Holmberg nodded, and swam back to the ring. He gave a thumbs up to Amela, and they both pulled together the gas bags. In unison, the each pulled the release for two of the bags, and swam back to allow the freed ring to float up.

It didn't. Holmberg swam back to the ROV.
"Is it coming up?"
Holmberg shook his head.
"What? Four bags should lift 24 tons! You brought extras, right?"
Holmberg shrugged and looked to Amela, who nodded.
"Alright, then attack two more, if you can. If it doesn't come up with that, we might have to call this whole thing off."
Holmberg swam over and attached another bag himself as Amela did the same. They nodded at each other, and pulled the release valves. With an unsettling clunk, the ring slowly began to lift off the lake bed. They did not need to swim back to the ROV, the sight was clear, even through the murky water. The massive pontoons were lifting the ring up toward the surface.
[center][IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/RaisingtheVatternring.png[/IMG]
[/center]

OOC: Well, I do believe that is one of the longer posts I've written for CNRP. Anyone who can guess what this thing is gets a cookie (Except Uber, who already knows)

• 2 weeks later...

[img]http://historicconnections.webs.com/Neo%20Babyulonian%20Seleucid.jpg[/img]
Arvidsson looked up from his work, and sighed, "What on Earth was that ship?"
"Pardon?" Holmberg inquired, removing the jeweler,s glasses that were perched awkwardly on his nose.
"This tablet, the writing on it is Babylonian, dates back to 200 BC..."
"So?"
"Well, it seems to make references to Deities that I've never once come across. It seems to formal to be some fringe group, it's almost like it was part of some old religion that we just never discovered..."
"Are you sure?" Holmberg stepped over, and perused the fragment of tablet, "Something's dawning on me..."
"What?"
"I don't understand a bit of Ancient Babylonian..."
Arvidsson sighed, "Alright, the tablet talks about a God of great power named Riys Akhtb, who came to a small village through the crown sun... Probably closer connotation to 'Bright light.' This God gave them gifts, but wanted a gift in return, a palace, of great height, to be built on the spot that he first stepped foot on Earth. The people agreed, and built the tallest tower ever seen. soon, the God returned, happy to see his people, and then..." Arvidsson rolled his chair over to another table, "And then... He game them tools of great strength, and gold, and other treasures, but gave them an order, never to enter the palace unless on his behest, or he would... smite them... The villagers agreed, and for many generations lived in peace with their god, leaving him offerings, and receiving treasures. Then, one day, a villager named Faru had gathered forty of his best sheep, wishing to give them all to his god. Realizing that the guards were away, he decided not to head his god's warning, thinking that he would be so pleased by the offering that he would offer forgiveness. He set one foot in the temple, and fell asleep for many years. When he awoke, he was in a desert, his god standing nearby. 'See what you have done?' Riys said, 'See how your greed has punished your people?' Faru responded 'But I wished only to serve you? How is my gift to you greed?' And Riys responded 'But you wished not for wellness, or good for your people, you wished for praise, from I. Greed for admiration is still greed. Now, I leave you, to walk this desert for all eternity.' Riys stepped away from Faru and vanished in a flash of light, and Faru walked off, never to see his family, his sheep, or his god again. The end."
"Touching..."
"I know. What I don't get though is that this is the only mention to this 'Riys Akhtb' I've ever seen. It seems like a fairly finished religious text, why would someone bother to write just one story like this?"
"They didn't," Holmberg interjected, "The other tablets could have been destroyed, in some sort of Inquisition/ Crusade sort of thing. Who's to say that that isn't why this tablet was singled out, the last of a series, some sort of treasure from an ancient conquest."
"Maybe... I don't know!" Arvidsson threw up his arms, "This is all nonsense, why would someone take this thing to Sweden, just to have it sink in a lake? What the hell sort of people would gather all this damned treasure?"

Amela, one of the several Grad students helping with the project sheepishly interjected, "Doctors?"
"Yes Amela?" Holmberg responded as Arvidsson began to calm down.
"Well... I've finished cleaning off a tablet, it appears to be more contemporary form of Cuneiform, and I..."
Holmberg cut in, "Yah, I'll come over and translate it."
[img]http://www.library.yale.edu/neareast/exhibitions/food/images/A-YBC%208958-recipes.jpg[/img]
"Well then... I think I know why [i]this[/i] was down there..." Holmberg muttered, smiling.
Arvidsson stepped over, and stood near Amela.
"Listen to this, 'We now move across the desert toward Persepolis. We have found hidden in the sand a ring of metal, so strong it cannot be broken, melted, dented or scratched. We shall bring it back to the temple where it once lie, return it to its rightful space, so that Zukalu may return.' And look here, different wear patterns, someone added something here... 'The ring of Zukalu eludes us. A warrior of great strength and might has forced us from our home, and from the temple. We have heard that he has tried to destroy the ring. The ring will not break, so he wishes to hide it away. I bury this writing so that one day some will remember this attack, and will fight to find the ring once more. Long Live Zukalu.'Sound familiar?"
"The ring?" Amela said, a bit excited.
"The Babylonian tablet... 'Crown' may have meant ring... or been the closest word... Do you think?"
"I think," Holmberg continued, "I think that this was more than a random assortment of treasure, I think this was a last ditch effort to take that damned ring, and destroy it. Or at the very least, put it somewhere no one could find it. Cover up this religion once and for all."
"That's crazy..." Arvidsson muttered.
"Just Crazy enough..." Holmberg responded.
They both looked off, across the room, at the large tarp that hid the massive metal ring from sight. They had just scratched the surface.

(And now for something completely different)

[b][i]Kandalaksha, 1990[/i][/b]
"!@#$ !@#$ !@#$!!!!" Ackerman screamed as he sprinted down the awkwardly thin trench, a pillar of smoke rising from the land behind him.
The deafening explosion of a fifty pound bomb replaced the screams with a hollow ring in everyone's ears. Anti-Air had let another plane through.
"Dammit," Crenshaw muttered, rubbing his one functional ear with the heel of his hand, "When the hell are those my idols gunna get their job right?! A damned infant could do their job!" He exclaimed, shaking his free hand toward the sky, as if it made any real difference.
"Sounds perfect for ya' Crenshaw," Baggs chuckled from his stolen, broken desk chair, "Maybe even a bit too hard."
"$@! hole..." Crenshaw trailed off as he flopped down to the ground, "Any clue when we're getting moved to real combat? I'm about ready to burst here, can't take another minute of this !@#$."
"Colonel said we were here until everyone else is dead," Baggs spat out a laugh far to gleeful for what he was saying, "I like the sound of it myself. Always wanted a vacation."
Akerman, several feet away flipped himself over in the mud, "I would rather leave, go home or something..."
"Trenches are our home Jacques, 'til we die, in the trenches we lie," Baggs sang out.
"If you say that one more time, I swear..." Schwartz barked, the first twitch of movement he had made since he shot a man an hour prior.
Another explosion sounded in the distance, followed by the telltale sound of a collapsing building.
"City fall down yet?" Fett blurted, "'Cause if't did I'd like to get a bit'f'a looksee."
He had found a crate of whiskey the week before, not a drop remained.
"No, probably just a warehouse," Crenshaw said, distracted as he scrambled for his binoculars. He looked out at the city, "Yah, looks like it was a warehouse, or something big…."
Crenshaw nodded to Fett, whom had already fallen back into his state of liquor fueled unconsciousness.
“Hey, I just realized something…” Ackerman muttered, “Komeil hasn’t said anything for a while…”
“Ahh Crap,” Baggs moaned, sticking his head out to where Komeil was sitting only minutes earlier, “Did anyone see him leave?”
Crenshaw and Schwartz shook their heads, a distinct look of worry crawling across both of their faces.
“Do you think,” Schwartz began, “He could have gone… [i]it[/i] again?”
“No…” Baggs responded, “Well… Yes, I do… Maybe…”
Another explosion sounded, much closer this time.
“That’s it, I give up, I’m out of here,” Crenshaw blurted, “I’m not getting shot by that crazy !@#$%^& again! You all deal with him!”
As Crenshaw began down the trench, another explosion rang out, close enough to violently shake the earth below them.
“Crap, that one was right on top of us,” Schwartz said, holding his ears, “What the hell are they doing?”
Another explosion shook the ground, breaking free several of the wooden planks that held the earthen defense together. With another, lighter thump, and soft, black mass flung down to Baggs’ feet.
Komeil looked up, still a bit on fire, “I am not catched the Dead…”
“Well…” Baggs muttered, “Ain’t that lucky…”

OOC: This is a continuation of an RP I never finished, and will continue here.

[center][font="Courier New"][color="#FF0000"][size="4"]Classified: Security 8[/size][/color]
Completed, seeing large scale implementation in the military. On Schedule.

Progress continues, however quite slowly. Project chairs have been working of late with NNSA physicists to complete the project. Should the European War spill into our borders, it could prove an invaluable tool to rapidly end the war, or at least halt it for the moment. Project chairs state that a test run of the engines, carrying water to simulate some of the weight, should be complete by weeks end, giving way to the addition of a weaponized payload, and alteration of current silos to fit the mach larger missiles size.[/font][/center]

• 1 month later...

[center]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg/300px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Sweden_Greater.svg.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Unionsgj%C3%B8s.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg/300px-Royal_CoA_of_Norway.svg.png[/img]
[font="Book Antiqua"][size=3][b]Royal Decree [i][sup]No.[/sup] 5[/i][/b][/size]

By the order of His Majesty Dayus Heimdall of The Kingdom of Norway and Markus Eklund of the Kingdom of Sweden, Norway-Sweden hereby declares neutrality in all matters foreign and local for the protection of the nation and preservation of our cultures.

“In these tremulous times, where the rouge actions of once honorable nations can threaten any nation, we feel that is is necessary to protect our own people. At least one nation must stand that is dedicated to peace, rather than war, and knowledge, rather than ignorance. For too long, Europe has been dominated by wars, and even in times of peace, tensions still boil, and the nations remain on hair triggers of reason to declare war upon each other. I propose that we need not become part of this vicious cycle of death, destruction, and hate. We must become a nation dedicated to the safety of our own people, rather than the political posturing of aggressive regimes. We will become a nation that can truly pride it’s self as a nation wanting peace, rather than to repeat the endless cycles of war and death."

"As of this moment, all Norwegian and Swedish Defensive or Aggressive treaties are to be canceled, and no new ones are to be signed. The military will remain as a defensive or peace keeping force, and it will hereby be unlawful for them to act as an aggressive force. Norway-Sweden will hence engage in no armed combat unless invaded. Norway-Sweden will do all that is possible to maintain our own internal peace."

"This will be a new reign of peace for Norway and Sweden, and maybe, one day, all of Europe. Last night, the sun set on a pair of United Kingdoms, today, the sun rises on a Commonwealth. May we have many more long days and pleasant nights under the Northern skies.” [/font][/center]