Am I reading this right? (Great Monument wonder)

Zangmonkey

Great monument gives +4 happiness and your people will always be happy with your gov choice...

So that means that I get +4 Hap for the wonder, +1 hap for the preferred govt and +1 hap for choosing a govt like monarchy?

ie +12 AGI?

Yes. I don't know why some many people overlook this wonder. Like I remember a while ago recommending someone get this wonder becasue it makes them happy with whatever Gov, and someone said their was no such thing :blink:.

Some people argue that this is only a +4 happiness boost which is is but really its +5. Also this makes you not care about that spy attack that causes your people to want a new gov.

Yes. I don't know why some many people overlook this wonder. Like I remember a while ago recommending someone get this wonder becasue it makes them happy with whatever Gov, and someone said their was no such thing :blink:.

Some people argue that this is only a +4 happiness boost which is is but really its +5. Also this makes you not care about that spy attack that causes your people to want a new gov.

There are also people that claim for some ridiculous reason that its actually +6 because of the +1 from Monarchy. You should already be on Monarchy so that +1 is not extra.

The reason this Wonder is only +4 is because the total of +5 to make it identical to the National Monument comes from having your Government set to one of the ones that give you a +1 happiness. There is no way to get +6 from this wonder.

Incorrect. You get +1 for having the government your people want, and as this makes them want whatever you choose then its +5. Then you add Monarchy that makes it +6 but that has nothing to do with the wonder. The +1 for happiness does however.

You get +5 pure and simple. He said if the total benfits would come down to +6. The answer is yes if you're set to Monarchy like he states.

You see, this wonder is +4 but really +5. Also now it has the added bonus of making you not care if someone Propagandas you.

Edited by rozalia

Please care to explain then, why the Temple is not also plus 6.

+5 for the wonder, and +1 for always having the right religion

There are additional benefits to having a certain government other than happiness. There are no such benefits for religion.

you are all wrong. you get a -1 happyness PENALTY if you have NOT the wanted religion. you DONT get a +1 happyness boost if you have it. So, if you just chose the government they want, its just +4 happyness and if you chose monarchy its +5. No way ever get +6 from it, except if you had a government that they DONT want before and it was NOT monarchy (which would by stupid anyway).

Basically i would prefer the Great Temple, because he has the exact same effect but i may be lucky to get a "wanted monarchy" - in which case the Monument would only bring +4 in comparison.

its just +4 happyness and if you chose monarchy its +5.

Setting aside the effects the different governments provide, you get +5 Happiness total.

+4 happ- Wonder Bonus

+1 happ- Your population will be happy with your current government selection.

Then you add,

+ Whatever effects your current government provides.

Edited by thedestro

+1 happ- Your population will be happy with your current government selection.

As The enlightened (DAC)Syzygy pointed out this is a myth.

Here's how the guide reads.

- LINK -

You do not get a "bonus" for choosing your nations' desired govt. You avoid a penalty.

This is why Monarchy is "always" the best government choice because the +1 happiness neutralizes the penalty if your nation does not desire Monarchy but you also get the benefit of the decreased cost of infra.

So when you add the National Monument you don't automatically get a "bonus" as well as the +4 happiness. . . UNLESS you select Monarchy (which you should do).

Know your game. Also know that disagreeing with (DAC)Syzygy in these types of threads is essentially pointless.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Shardoon

I believe that many contributers in this thread view the situation from different perspectives, and therefore it is rather confusing more people, than to contribute to the general understanding of this game.

Syzygy, is, almost as ussual, correct. I can try to further explain the 'special' circumstances, as this may help other people to understand the special concept of a Great Monument.

Like already stated, the Great Monument gives a standard +4 happiness boost to your overall happiness. The other feature, that your people are always happy with your choice of government, is making it more difficult. As Monarchy is in rougly 91% of all possibilities the best government in your current situation (the other 9% is when your people desire a revolutionary government), assume that your current government is a monarchy. If your people are unhappy with your choice (in 82% of all scenarios they are indeed unhappy with this tactic), the Great Monument makes your people happy again and makes sure you still recieve an extra +1 happiness.

If your people already were happy with your government choice, the Great Monument doesn't give extra advantages and only gives the fixed +4 happiness points.

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Government

In the unlikely event you have not selected Monarchy or a Revolutionary Government (by 'coincedence' two governments which add a +1 happiness), or any other population happiness boosting government choice, you will recieve a +1 happiness bonus if you choose a government which does have this happiness bonus. However, this is not caused by the Great Monument, but by the player who decided to use his brains for a moment and select the best government, namely a monarchy in the case you have bought a Great Monument.

Again, in brief:

• Government is Monarchy and you buy a Great Monument, and people were unhappy with the past choice
    +4 happiness of GM
    +1 happiness of your people finally being happy with a monarchy
    (most likely scenario)
  • Goverment is Monarchy (or a Revolutionary Government) and you buy a Great Monument, and people were happy with the past choice
    +4 happiness of GM
  • Government is other than Totalitarian State, Revolutionary Government, Monarchy or a Democracy and you buy a Great Monument, and people were happy with the past government choice
    +4 happiness of GM
    +1 happiness of selecting Monarchy as government (see: CN Wiki, happiness effects of Monarchy)
  • Government is other than Totalitarian State, Revolutionary Government, Monarchy or a Democracy and you buy a Great Monument, and people were unhappy with the past government choice and they did not desire a monarchy
    +4 happiness of GM
    +1 happiness of selecting Monarchy as government (see: CN Wiki, happiness effects of Monarchy)
    +1 of people finally approving of your nation's government

It is very, and very unlikely, people may ever experience a +6 bonus. And if they do, they made some mistake in the past and the positive effect of an extra +1 happiness is caused by a correction of that mistake, not by the Great Monument. In the last two options, the Great Monument mostly affects the +4 happiness directly, and all the other bonusses are because you've corrected a mistake. All these other bonusses are displayed in italic. So at the most a Great Monument can give a nation a +5 happiness boost, assuming that his government is monarchy and that the people were unhappy with the monarchy government. There is one more situation to mention, this is if your government is monarchy, though your people desired a revolutionary government, though you can calculate those effects for yourself, and can also calculate that the bonusses of changing your government are not caused by buying a Great Monument.

Edited by US of Europe

As Monarchy is in rougly 91% of all possibilities the best government in your current situation (the other 9% is when your people desire a revolutionary government), assume that your current government is a monarchy.

Good post except I question this....

Why not Capitalist if they desire it? Same happiness as monarchy, same infra discount but the land bonus gives better spy defense and temporarily offsets land-shortage....

Good post except I question this....

Why not Capitalist if they desire it? Same happiness as monarchy, same infra discount but the land bonus gives better spy defense and temporarily offsets land-shortage....

Yes I always find it weird people forget Capitalist. Just like Scholers :angry:.

Yes, capitalist and republic indeed give better advantages if your people would approve of these governments. Should have included it, but I did not want to further confuse people who don't know (yet) about this.

Furthermore, the 5% increased land area, is only for a temporary moment and therefore it can be argued how usefull this is. Nevertheless, it indeed gives an advantage, how slight that advantage may be in reality, or to be more precize, it matters 3.2% for myself. 0.5 happiness is on the same scale worth 15%, and 1 happiness is worth 25%.

However, I completely agree with you that capitalist, republic, revolutionary government and monarchy are all equal in specific circumstances. If your people desire either capitalist, repulbic or a revolutionary government, players should follow their people's request, in all other circumstances, it should be monarchy. So I should have said 73% rather. However, I fear that only players with enough time to spent on CN, may use this tactic. Otherwise players with less time may have an increased risk of having a wrong government for a couple of days, and suffer more from it, than they benefit from it in the first place.

Also, bank nations can also think about selecting a democracy if their people require this, and nations engaging in combat should of course think about having a communist, democracy, dictatorship, federal government or a transitional goverment, if their people require this. If the people don't require such government, it is up for debate which one will be their best option.

I was like finally someone who knows what their talking about then i realized it was syzygy. Watch your back my friend because if you turn for even i second I will swipe your corndogs and carry them back to my nation where you will never see them again muahahahahaha.

-Veritas