Questions about Percentages

Xineoph

I was under the impression they all stack up. Or even if resource and bonus' are considered separate, it would still add up in another way.

So why is it that if I used the Cybernations resource calculator, and added up the percentages to get the lowest navy purchase cost, I get 27.3% instead of the 30% expected or if I did maximum Soldier Efficiency, I get 63.9% instead of the expected 53%. Can someone please explain that to me?

I was under the impression they all stack up. Or even if resource and bonus' are considered separate, it would still add up in another way.

So why is it that if I used the Cybernations resource calculator, and added up the percentages to get the lowest navy purchase cost, I get 27.3% instead of the 30% expected or if I did maximum Soldier Efficiency, I get 63.9% instead of the expected 53%. Can someone please explain that to me?

I believe the same resources add, different multiply:

income mod = (1+number of banks*.07)(1+number of schools*.05) etc

I believe the same resources add, different multiply:

income mod = (1+number of banks*.07)(1+number of schools*.05) etc

Same resources do nothing beyond what the first gives you as duplicates provide no additional benefit.

All resources multiply. So for example Wheat and Fish provide a population benefit of 1.08*1.08 = 1.1664 or 16.64% not 8%+8% = 16%. All different improvements multiply, like improvements stack (add together). All wonders multiply.

What Rupert said. Ecoli's formula for improvs was correct but you don't benefit from two of the same resource at all (it won't even be listed twice).

To take your specific example of soldier efficiency, you should be calculating it as follows:

Multi = Alu * Coal * Oil * Pigs = 1.20 * 1.08 * 1.10 * 1.15 = 1.639

ie. a 63.9% increase.

What Rupert said. Ecoli's formula for improvs was correct but you don't benefit from two of the same resource at all (it won't even be listed twice).

To take your specific example of soldier efficiency, you should be calculating it as follows:

Multi = Alu * Coal * Oil * Pigs = 1.20 * 1.08 * 1.10 * 1.15 = 1.639

ie. a 63.9% increase.

Yes, a misuse of words...

I have noticed this too with population bonus the numbers don't add up.

You would have to supply details to prove that. The Resource Calculator seems to come up with the expected numbers.

Population modifying resources:

Wheat: 8%

Fish: 8%

Cattle: 5%

Pigs: 3.5%

Sugar: 3%

A standard 3BR: Aluminum, Iron, Lumber, Marble, Water, Wheat, Spices, Sugar, Cattle, Pigs, Fish, plus a wildcard gives bonus resources of Fastfood, Construction, Beer

The Resource calculator indicates a population modifier of 30.6%, doing the math;

1.08*1.08*1.05*1.035*1.03 = 1.305612756 or 30.6% same as the calculator

A standard 5BR: Aluminum, Iron, Lumber, Marble, Water, Wheat, Coal, Rubber, Cattle, Oil, Fish, Sugar gives bonus resources of Asphalt, Automobiles, Construction, Beer, Steel

The Resource calculator indicates a population modifier of 26.1%, doing the math;

1.08*1.08*1.05**1.03 = 1.2614616 or 26.1% same as the calculator

Not sure where you are having a problem.

Count Rupert (or someone else), I was wondering if you could help me with some Clinic/Hospital maths.

I had the following examples in my alliance:

#1 Nation with 14448 citizens, Pigs, no clinics.

Added 1 clinic

expected: 14448 * 1.02 = 14736

Actual was: 14748

#2 Nation with 17393 citizens, 2 clinics, Pigs, Cattle, Fish, Sugar

Added 1 Hosp

expected: 17393 * 1.06 = 18436

Actual was: 18471

#3 Same Nation as #2 with 18471, 2 clinics, 1 Hosp, Pigs, Cattle, Fish, Sugar

Added 1 clinic

expected: 18471/1.04 * 1.06? = 18826?

Actual was: 18837

Any clues as to what I'm missing much appreciated.

Count Rupert (or someone else), I was wondering if you could help me with some Clinic/Hospital maths.

[snip]

There is a bit more to the citizen count formula than just base citizens * modifiers. There is another component that is not affected by some modifiers. I don't think anyone has come out and mentioned it publicly (although I've seen a few people hint at it), so I'm hesitant to give all the details. Try playing with your soldier count (while keeping an eye on your citizen count) sometime though... ;)

I have noticed the more troops you buy, you lose citizens... so perhaps if nation #1 in my example had 20% troops his population would be 15,000 and that would explain the 15,000 * 0.02 = 300 citizen increase? (perhaps its 2% of your amount before modified by troop level/environment)... or something... don't know

Is this possible:

The amount of soldiers has an affect on the environment, which in turn has an affect on the population size.

Yes, but I believe that effect only occurs once (it's an all or nothing thing). Perhaps it is a sliding scale?

I have noticed the more troops you buy, you lose citizens...

Exactly.

perhaps its 2% of your amount before modified by troop level/environment)... or something... don't know

Perhaps... ;)

Something like citizens = X * 1.02 - Y would explain this. Now the trick is finding Y.

(I think I'm going to wear out the wink emoticon in this thread...)