The Sumeragi's Secretary

Sumeragi

Somewhere above Eurasia

Akasaka woke up.

He always slept lightly, ready to wake up at any moment. Unless he was completely exhausted the night before from training, fighting, traveling, whatever it was, he would be up at the double. The young man didn't know why it always happened that way. It just did

The same couldn't be said of his traveling companion. Across from the table that had some cups with drinks, what appeared to be a large bundle of cloth sat rather still. The only sign that it was something other than that was a faint rise and fall indicative of breathing. Somewhere in there lay Akeiko, as she continued to sleep.

Akasaka smiled faintly.

Akeiko had been working herself hard for the past few weeks since the announcement of the Ryumu Ishin. not only did she cover thousands of different issues that spilled onto her desk, but she also took the time to constantly train with the Gentengun, which was notorious for its long hours. It was time that she took a rest, and the wedding in Europe was the perfect setting for a short vacation.

Wait. Why was his hand reaching toward her?

Akasaka found himself crouching right next to Akeiko, right by where her head emerged from her blankets. She had her face buried in the cloth, leaving only the top of her head visible. His fingers were scant inches away from touching the soft ebony hair. He blinked, face burning a bright red. What was he doing?

In an instant, he had snatched his hand back, an apology already forming on his lips. He stopped, though, once he realized that she was still asleep. The blush was still hot on his cheeks, now compounded with the foolishness he felt. He groaned softly, put a hand to his forehead.

"...I must still be tired," Akasaka muttered to himself.

At this point, Akeiko mumbled something unintelligible, and rolled over. Akasaka's ears pricked slightly; she'd been telling him much about herself, and he was naturally curious what she was saying. That, however, was very quickly forgotten as her face came into view. A faint smile was on her lips.

She was really cute.

And his hand was reaching out again, this time to touch her cheek.

The boy leapt backward, bowed, and blurted out, "Excuse me, Your Majesty! Forgive my rudeness!" heedless of the fact that she still hadn't woken up. He then turned around and headed off toward the rest room to wash his face and regain his senses with a couple splashes of cold water.

Behind him, Akeiko raised her head, blinked muzzily at the form of Akasaka's retreating figure, then went back to sleep, blissfully ignorant of this whole affair.

OOC: Setting is the Martenshaven Marriage. We'll be looking at what our Akasaka was doing with the Sumeragi while they were staying in Europe.

"Akasaka-kun, is something wrong?"

"Hm? What did you say, Your Majesty?"

"You've been acting strange since we got off the plane. And your face is turning red again. Are you sick?"

Akasaka suddenly found a hand touching his cheek. He froze.

"You're a little warm. See, you're sweating! We'd better get to our rooms."

Akasaka's mouth open and closed soundlessly, until Akeiko finally took her hand away - eliciting a sigh of relief, but also faintly of disappointment.

"Stay here, I'll go get the keys."

"No, that's my job, Your Majesty."

"Nah, I rather do things myself."

"What do you mean, there's only one room reserved?"

"You see, for some reason the Foreign Ministry reserved one room for the guests from Kyokujitsu Teikoku. It is however, a one-bedroom Imperial Suite."

"All right, I guess I'll just have to make do with it."

Akeiko turns to go back to Akasaka, with a faint smile.

'I guess we'll have some fun while we're here, then.....'

Edited by Sumeragi

• 2 months later...

Outside the Hotel

Akasaka Mamoru took a short walk in the small park next to the hotel.

He had to admit, he still had no idea why he was with the Sumeragi for this particular occasion, except that there had been some dicussion among the higher heads, and have selected him. It wasn't that he didn't like this assignment; after all, everyone in the Gentengun directly served the head of the nation, being the Imperial Division and such. But still, being part of the Gentengun wasn't the only reason.......

He still remembered the slight touch on his cheeks, in that almost fantasy-like forest filled with falling cherry blossoms.

Mamoru shook his head, trying to regain himself. He wasn't here on a date, but as a secretary/bodyguard. This was not the time to be daydreaming of what..... could have been. He went back to the hotel, to get prepared for the wedding.

Unlocking the door, Akasaka started entering, when he stopped. He could sense that someone was in the bedroom, doing something. Since the Sumeragi was getting the bag, it couldn't be her......

Silently pulling out his pistol, he tiptoed to the door, putting his ear to listen. Whoever was in the room was searching for something, as the rustling of cloth could be heard. He took a step back, then charged his shoulder into the door. The door blow open, and Akasaka aimed his gun, preparing to shoot if necessary.

As soon as he saw who it was, Mamoru realized that he had made a major mistake.

A small figure had her bare back to the door, the pearl white skin almost shining through the ebony hair, taking off her shirt and brassiere. She turned slightly towards him, a crimson blush forming upon her face. Akasaka could almost see the small bosom from his angle.

It was the Sumeragi.

"Um, Akasaka-kun....."

It took a few seconds for Akasaka to come to his sense.

"I, I apologize, Your Majesty!"

He was gone from the room in a split-second.

OOC: Finally got to writing this...... More will come.

Edited by Sumeragi

Wedding Reception

It seems Europe did not agree with Akasaka.

Almost at every turn there was some sort of disaster waiting for him. All within 24 hours, he managed to almost touch the Sumeragi, saw the bare back of a topless Goddess, be tripped into a wine fountain (thereby ruining his suit), and punch Baron Uberstein into another wine fountain. Really, never has he been in so much trouble in such a short time. Only the fact that the Sumeragi had bought another suit for him in the hotel's shops prevented absolute catastrophe.

Akasaka would have been in a very deep depression by now, if it weren't for a very short chat that Her Majesty did with him right after the wedding.....

"Hey Akasaka-kun."

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"Aren't marriages romantic?"

"Yes....."

"When do you think you'll married?"

"Er......"

"Soon?"

The Sumeragi giggled in her usual cute way.

Marriage. He never thought about marriage before, having lived a rather busy life supporting himself. He's been an orphan since he was 12, and only the state's various support programs allowed him to stay off the streets. There was no time for such "petty" things as romance.

But now, his being in the Gentengun allowed him some breathing space. As both the Guards and the Personal Army of the Sumeragi, the prestigious position came with a small affluence, enough to start going out if he wanted. Mamoru never really took that fact seriously, spending almost all of his time continuously training and studying. He probably would have stayed the workhorse, until a new light came upon him......

Ryumu Sumeragi, Head of the Empire and Mother of the Nation. Such a high being, a "god" to the people of Kyokujitsu, had come down to him on the cold tundra of Siberia. He still remembered how She had teased him about her being old enough to be his older sister, and saying that if She wasn't the Sumeragi, She would just be normal girl, racking up huge bills by shopping and dating cute boys.....

Sister. Family. Date. Those are words that never meant much to him since the death of his family in a car accident. He had forgotten what it was to love and be loved. But now, it seems perhaps he could.....

"No, no I can't."

It was simply unthinkable. Going out with the Sumeragi? What was he thinking? Of course that wasn't possible.......

'But she did have you call her by her personal name, didn't she?'

A voiced asked him. Yes, she did. She did ask him to do something that no mere commoner would ever dream of thinking. Could it be a sign of something?

An image went by in his head, that of a pure white figure, looking at him embarassingly.....

'NO NO!'

No, even if She and he had mutual feelings, there was too much of a gap between them, and he wasn't even sure if the feelings were mutual......

Mutual?

'Yes, I do like her..... Not just as the Sumeragi, but as Akeiko.....'

Admitting to a fact that he was running away from. Such a hard thing to do. He shoke his head, and looked at the various drinks that were on the table next to him, trying to think of something other than issue of what he felt. A blonde woman in a black German military uniform came towards him.

"Is there a problem?" She asked with a slight accent.

"I'm trying to avoid alcohol, but I'm not sure if I can among these coktails."

"Very well, I'll have someone get you something. What would you like?"

"Orange juice."

The woman snapped her fingers, and a waiter almost instantly came.

"Ja meine Dame?"

"Geben Sie diesen Herrnorangensaft, der mit Wodka gemischt wird."

"Verstanden, meine Dame."

The waiter goes away. The lady turns back to Mamoru.

"He will get you orange juice. Just call him if you want more later."

"Thank you. May I ask your name?"

"Magnhild, Magnhild Michelsdottar Martens"

Magnhild then walks away, making sure the Asian didn't see her smile. A few moments later, the waiter returned, bringing with him a glass of orange juice. Akasaka thanked him, and took a sip.

'This tastes a bit strange..... I guess it's because this is far from where oranges are grown.'

He drank the rest of the juice and asked for more.

He would later regret the drinking.

Edited by Sumeragi

Several hours later.......

Two figures could be seen attempting to get to their room. The smaller one was holding up the taller figure, who was barely able to walk at all.

"Whhheerrre are yooou takiiing meee?"

"Try to get some strength into your legs, Akasaka-kun. You're a bit heavy for me."

"Wwwhyyy? It's allrreeaady coommmforrrtabblle....."

Akeiko didn't know whether to smile or grimace at this situation. It was amusing, to say the least, at how the uptight soldier was "loosened" up. But then, having to half-carry him to the hotel room was quite a bit of work. She managed anyway, getting to the bedroom.

"Now Akasaka-kun, you should try to sleep off that drunkness."

"Whhhaaattt? Nnnaahh, I'mmmm aaalllrrriggghhht...."

"Come on now, you're dead drunk. What did you drink down there?"

"Juussttt sooommee orranggee juuuiiccee. Iiitt taaassteed funnnyyyy, thoooughhhh."

"Orange juice?"

"Yyyeeaahh, oorranngge jjuuice."

"........ Whatever, you need to get laid or have a terrible hangover tomorrow."

She tried to let Mamoru slide onto the bed, but he resisted. Managing to stand straightly, Akasaka grabbed Akeiko's shoulders and put his face near hers.

"Ssaay Aakeikooo, yyouu wannnt tooo knnnooow hhhooowww mmmmuuuuchhh I wwoorrryyy abboouuut yyou? YYoouu alllwayssss pppuuussssshh yourrrrsseellllfff toooooo muuuchhh."

"What?"

"Yooouuu aaarreee alwaayss goiiinnggg too youuurrr llliimmiitt. Rrreemmmeemmmbbeeerr wwhhaat yyyoouuu toolldd meee aattt Baiiikkkall? Yoouu rreealllyyy aaaree jjjuuusttt an aavveerraagggee giiirrll innnnsiiddee ttthaat hhharddd shhheell offff yyyoouurrsss."

Silence flew for a moment.

"Yoouuu nneedddd tooo loosseenn uuuppp. Oottheeerrwiiisee,, you'llll craaackkk upppp onnne daaayyyy."

"And why should I? You know my role, as the-"

"Cooommmeee ooonnn Aaakkeeiikkoo. Yoouuu'rreee Akkkeeiikooo, noott theee Suummmeeraagiii too meee nooowww."

Akasaka released his hands from the shoulders, but immediately lost his balance, falling on top of Akeiko onto the bed. Instead of getting off immediately, he lifted his head up, looking straight at her. Their eyes met, and time froze for just a few moments.

"Iii wwaasss hhaallfff lyyiiinnngg whhenn Iii saiddd Iiii worrieeddd aabboouuuttt youuu. I CARE aboouttt you, Akeeiikoo, CARE...."

"..........."

"Kkknnooowww hhooowww myy hheearrrttt pooouunnndddssss whhennn Iiii loookkk atttt youuurrr faacce? Kkknoooowwww hhoowww tiiimmeee sttooppsss whennn youuu'rrreeee ttaakkkiiinnnnggg a rreessttt aafffttterrr ttrraaiiinningg? Iii dooonn''ttt dda aammnn ccaarreee abbouuttt whhheetttherrr yyouuu'rree a Gooodd oorrr nooott. Yoooouu'rrreee jjjuussttt aaa giiirrlll thaaattt Iiii liikke..... No, REALLYYY lliiikkeee....."

He tried to push himself up, but there was no strength left in his arm. Absentmindedly, he put her arms around the trembling girl beneath him, into a tight hug. Only one thought was on his mind, and he continuously whispered it.

"Daisukiyade, Akeiko...... Daisukiyade."

• 2 weeks later...

The air was filled with the flash of guns and the whine of bullets.

Running along the first-floor corridor of the Baikal Parliament Building, Akasaka dived behind an orantely carved pillar a mere instant before a salvo of slugs thudded into it. The flare of the guns let him know exactly where the enemies were, and without looking he unpinned and hurled a grenade. He heard it bump against the wall, then the sounds of the men, their gibberish quickly turning to gasps as they realized what wsa thrown at them There was a bang, as the explosion rang through the corridor. Akasaka signaled, and his comrades sprinted past him through the billowing smoke.

"Aaagh!"

A scream cut through the night air, and Akasaka's heart lurched. He recognized the voice - the lieutenant!

He swepted the beam of his light through the fallen timber, his eyes scanning the wide corridor for sighs of movement. At the far end, a figure stood, as if immune to the bullets that crisscrossed the entire area. The figure had a machine gun blazing at any movement, and the lieutenant had been hit.

A barrage of shots rang out, and Akasaka cursed as one struck his light. The impact made it drop from his rifle, the lamp shattering on the marble floor as he dived for cover. Other Gentenguns shut their lights off as more shots chattered out of the darkness. There was a yell of pain lose to his side, and he knew that another of his comrade had taken a bullet.

Akasaka knew he had no choice. "Fall back!" he yelled at the top of his voice, "Retreat!"

He backed away toward the lobby, a fellow sergeant close to his side. Just then a figure rushed at them out of the darkness, and there was a sharp boom as Akasaka fired at almost point range. The enemy went down in a crumpled heap. More shots followed, and the two dived behind the chipped marble of a column. As bullets thudded around them, they stepped in and out again, firing back, trying to cover their fellow brothers as they retreated toward the main enterance. It was then it happened.

A sinister shape detached itseld from the shadow behind them and hurtled throught the flying hailstorm into the corridor. There was a glimpse of a long, dark brown cape, its edge whipping around the figure it hid. A pistol shot cut into the darkenss, and the faint figure of an enemy fell like a stone. The two soldiers froze, caught up by the spetacle unfolding in front of them. One of the Baikalians let his gun go at full blaze, but the caped figure ducked easily beneath the incoming bullets. Another pistol shot rang, and the Baikalian collapsed to the ground. The newcomer didn't wait to see the effects of the shot, but kept moving, the feet a blur of speed. Soon the figure was halfway down the corridor, having taken down any Baikal troop, and was rushing toward the end.

A barrage of shots splintered the floor around the running feet; it looked as if the machine gunner was deteremined to kill the incoming foe. Suddenly, Cape altered course, zigzagging across the wide hallway, jumping near the end. Just before the figure crashed into the wall, its leg pushed hard against it, and was in the air, flying towarsd Machine Gun. A sudden flash of a scything katana could be seen, and a fountain of blood greeted the figure as it landed lightly, behind the decapitated Baikal soldier. Standing up, the caped figure turned toward them, its ruby eyes shining.

"It seems we need to do more training on indoor fighting, troops."

It was the Sumeragi.

As she started walking towards him, Akasaka could see a red light coming from one of the columns, aiming at the head......

"Your Majesty, duck!"

A shot cracked out, and as Akasaka pulled his trigger at the red light, he could see the jerk of the Sumeragi as blood splattered onto the wall, coloring the white marble red........

Akasaka woke up in the dark room, lying on his back, breathing roughly as if he had been running. He had woken from the vivid dream, his sweat soaking the blanket. He sat up, putting his head on his forehead as a spliting headache came over him.

The dream was what he had every once in a while, coming from the guilt of his failure. The Sumeragi had managed to escape a direct hit, but was still hit on the arm, leaving a scar. It was a failure of massive proportion, and Akasaka shook his head, blaming himself.

It was then that he noticed he wasn't wearing any clothes.

Startled, he looked down, and noticed a dark stain on the bed. In shock, he checked his...... something, and saw that it was also covered by something similar. The memories of what happened last night, up to the hug, hit him like a stone at that moment, and Akasaka stared blankly into space. Did he..... did he really.....

"Oh no............"

There was only one possibility of what happened, and it was something unthinkable.

Edited by Sumeragi