Indian Ocean Conference

Yerushalayim

The following invitation is sent to nations with territory upon the Indian Ocean.

The Great Lakes Republic invites all nations of the Indian Ocean to join us in the city of Dar es Salaam for the negotiation of trade relations and policing of our shared ocean.

The conference hall at Dar es Salaam faces the ocean, and is built of white marble. East African soldiers patrol the streets of the city, and elite guards check all comers to the meeting. Weapons are not permitted through the checkpoints, though two Republican soldiers armed with shotguns loaded with bean bags stand within the hall itself. President Osano awaits the foreign delegates within.

President Osano smiled and greeted each of the delegates in softly accented English. "Welcome to the Republic. I'm glad that you could join us here to discuss the future of the Indian Ocean. Though we are few in number now, our nations are all formidable. It is in all of our interests to open our nations to trade, and to determine the responsibility that each of us will have in guarding the ocean against piracy and invasion."

The President took a sip from a glass of water near at hand before continuing, "I would like to propose an agreement that all trade between our nations be exempt from tariffs and taxes, so that we might make the Indian Ocean a rich and prosperous region."

President Osano smiled and greeted each of the delegates in softly accented English. "Welcome to the Republic. I'm glad that you could join us here to discuss the future of the Indian Ocean. Though we are few in number now, our nations are all formidable. It is in all of our interests to open our nations to trade, and to determine the responsibility that each of us will have in guarding the ocean against piracy and invasion."

The President took a sip from a glass of water near at hand before continuing, "I would like to propose an agreement that all trade between our nations be exempt from tariffs and taxes, so that we might make the Indian Ocean a rich and prosperous region."

'The Empire is always open to trade. As for security, the Persian gulf is probably the safest sea route in the Ocean apart from the Suez of course" he said, winking at the legionary.

"What would the Republic like to see out of a large trading bloc like what is being proposed?"