Conference on Germany

Uberstein

germany_map_regions_sm.gif

Following negotiations with the Northlands, a separate conference over the fate of Germany would be held between the three parties (Northlands, Alvonia, Ubersteinia) that had seized German land with their soldiers. The conference would be held in Berlin, and Ubersteinia would send Ambassador Gabrielė Astrauckas (Who had represented the Baltic Union in the Northlands.)

Edited by Uberstein

Lord Legrand would represent the Northlands at the conference. He arrived at the conference with a small contingent including a translator and official from the Office of Defense who was currently coordinating the Northlands peacekeeping operation. He had read up on what little information there was on the Alvonian state prior to attending the meeting and was prepared to make the first Northlands contact with it.

He nodded as he saw Astrauckas for the second time in recent history, albeit in completely different circumstances. He greeted Minister Tresler and sat down before beginning to speak.

"Let's get down to business. We all have peacekeeping forces in Germany. We have been in communication with Ubersteinian forces but contact with Alvonian troops has been minimal. What are your intentions regarding German lands?" he asked the Alvonian representative.

Edited by California

Tresler adjusted his tie, clearing his throat before speaking. "We, unfortunately, have been unable to communicate with other peacekeeping forces due to a communication error, which has been fixed. Currently, as Director Wilding stated in his press conference this morning, Alvonian troops are in Germany in a peacekeeping and advisory role to the local police. Furthermore, we shall be polling the population on the direction they wish to take regarding their lands, which we will act on in two or three months."

Faulty communications is what causes incidents and casualties, Legrand thought in dismay while equally glad that nothing of the sort had materialized while different armed forces had entered the region. "I'm glad the communications are back online," he said out loud. The Defense Official would excuse himself and briefly step outside to alert Northlands forces to reattempt communication with Alvonian forces.

"Your nation has caused no issue and I have no doubt of your sincere intentions, however our nations have had little time to build any sort of relationship and polls about matters of sovereignty often seem to provide questionable results in this world. So you'll excuse me if I seem blunt. 

In order to mitigate any crises for the time being, I would suggest we draw regions of influence in Germany where we will agree to confine our respective operations for the time being. Based on the geography of our nations in relation to Germany, I propose the following: Alvonia oversee Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg provinces in the south, and the Northlands maintaining its forces in the other provinces in the north."

"The Ubersteinian interest in Germany is purely that of a peacekeeping nature. If the French can do that job adequately, then it is less strain on the other parties involved. Personally, I feel that the territory of Germany should be made a joint protectorate between its neighbors, and held for the eventual rise of an independent nation again, similar to the Polish and Belarussian protectorates held by Ubersteinia."

General

With the entry of French forces into Germany, an invitation to the conference would be sent to the French government, in the spirit of cooperation and negotiation.

Edited by Uberstein

"Yes, our reports indicate that the French have moved into some border towns in the Baden-Wurttemberg province. As a neighboring state to the south, it's not out of the question for them to assist with some peacekeeping operations in the region. We can see the reasoning for the need of a buffer between France and Germany. That being said, those nations have had drastically different cultures and histories for quite some time and we see it as unreasonable for France to expand over the German peoples. 

We propose the following: parts of Germany from both the Northlands and Alvonia spheres of influence outlined by red in the map below are subject to French oversight. The four nations involved would agree to respect the territorial sovereignty of each other to ensure there are no further incidents regarding the German lands and people. 

http://imgur.com/aOvbjbR

With that being said, we believe it would be prudent to invite French participation into this conference via secure video chat, assuming all of us here are in agreement about our aims and goals for Germany."

When the secure transmission was set up, the French asked, and a response given, the person to appear on the screen was no less than Her Imperial Highness herself, L'Imperatrice De LaQueu, "Gentlemen, I appreciate that you have invited me to this conference." she says, her French accent coming through extremely strongly through the German, but still very understandable.

Once the introductions were made the Northlands representative would transmit the proposed territorial allotment of German lands.

"The current peacekeepers in Germany are prepared to have France share oversight of the land shown in red, representing land that borders your nation. We believe this will minimize any confusion and allow for cooperation between our nations in this region. We would ask all nations present to affirm their acknowledgement of the other nation's sovereignty and borders as currently shown on the border map and with these proposed changes."

Edited by California

Jeanne considers the map very seriously for a moment, "We would like to have a sliver of he Saar as well, though we fully understand the reluctance to let us occupy the entirety of it. We are willing to settle with a strip of the land a mere ten kilometers wide and will cede enough land to the East of it to the Northlands to ensure a smooth transition to such a small area, down to perhaps only ten kilometers outside of Pirmasens on its North face."

Edited by Shave N Haircut

"As you yourself noted, the Saarland is an integral part of Germany and there is much reluctance to partition it at all, even what you have requested. We would propose the following: the Northlands will maintain a 10 km demilitarized zone along the Saarland border with France. You will be welcome to send in advisers to ensure this is enforced and that your own security is being maintained along this border."

"Demilitarized zones are dangerous things to implement." Jeanne says seriously, "It is difficult to maintain the safety within such a place and causes tensions to brew on both sides of it, we would rather keep the Saar without such problems. We will yield the Saar to you on the condition that we be allowed to have advisers within the government of the region. While our concern is, indeed, the safety of our border with the former state of Germany, the rights of the people within these areas should be considered as well."

"The Northlands will agree to a limited French adviser presence in the Saarland. With that, and the explicit approval of the Alvonian representative, I believe that the question of Germany has been decided. I am glad that in this hour, instead of crisis from the collapse of a German government, regional players were able to reach a sensible conclusion that is mindful of the German people and lands. 

The Northlands intends to maintain a protectorate in Germany to see if any organic self-rule movements arise in this vacuum. We currently have no plans to formally annex this region or hold a plebiscite to do so, but we reserve the right to change this policy in the future.

Northlands troops will be notified of this decision and appropriate movements made. I thank Ubersteinia for hosting this conference, and I thank the Alvonian minister and French Empress for their reason and coolheads."

Edited by California